Battle Rap and Freestyle Battles at Lets Beef

Start a battle

Vote on a battle to earn +1 credit!

2023 Grand Championship

Battle Feed
Flako Boom vs Sam E Scam
Style: Freestyle
1 Vote 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars
Jatho Sups vs yungcheefyungcheef is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row!
Style: Written
3 Votes 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars
Flako Boom vs Kold KrhymezKold Krhymez is on FIRE! 10+ wins in a row!Kold Krhymez is on FIRE! 10+ wins in a row!
Style: Freestyle
3 Votes 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars

[ more battles... ]

Go Back   Lets Beef - Battle Rap Forums > Battle Arena > General Talk
Register Articles FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Journals

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Rant
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Should battlers be barred from commenting on battles, until they're closed?

A recent thought occurred to me. An expo of your verse in the comments, by definition, is swaying. The act of explaining a concept, or bar, is typically done so with the explicit intent of influencing the reader. In that they are giving the reader a firmer understanding of the presented material. Because people tend to complain about battles being swayed(I've done this myself, too, of course.), I think one of the primary ways in which we can actually prevent swaying, is by preventing battlers from commenting on battles until they've been completed.

Should the participating battlers be allowed to comment on battles while they're open?

Is giving expos swaying?

Discuss.

Last edited by Rant; 12-02-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Unread 12-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

Rant

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Default Should battlers be barred from commenting on battles, until they're closed?

A recent thought occurred to me. An expo of your verse in the comments, by definition, is swaying. The act of explaining a concept, or bar, is typically done so with the explicit intent of influencing the reader. In that they are giving the reader a firmer understanding of the presented material. Because people tend to complain about battles being swayed(I've done this myself, too, of course.), I think one of the primary ways in which we can actually prevent swaying, is by preventing battlers from commenting on battles until they've been completed.

Should the participating battlers be allowed to comment on battles while they're open?

Is giving expos swaying?

Discuss.

Last edited by Rant; 12-02-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Unread 12-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.46/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
105 Won / 19 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 1 Lost

If someone went in the forum and commented about an open battle like "I didnt vote because x,y, and z'...then the battler says, 'Heres what I meant.'...we'd call that swaying. I think everyone's posted an exp at some point, but yeah...its kinda swaying. 99x out of 100 (Sorry, Eth) if I dont get your punch, thats a you thing.
https://www.letsbeef.com/cypher_deta...on=tb&id=67728

Remembering RULE
Please join us in loving celebration of the memory of an accomplished and amazing life at:
The Puncher's Funeral
Unread 12-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #2

Esso Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.46/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
105 Won / 19 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 1 Lost

If someone went in the forum and commented about an open battle like "I didnt vote because x,y, and z'...then the battler says, 'Heres what I meant.'...we'd call that swaying. I think everyone's posted an exp at some point, but yeah...its kinda swaying. 99x out of 100 (Sorry, Eth) if I dont get your punch, thats a you thing.

Remembering RULE
Please join us in loving celebration of the memory of an accomplished and amazing life at:
The Puncher's Funeral
Unread 12-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Bleu

Some lines definitely need expo in one way or another and I don't think it's swaying as long as you don't cross the line into that territory. We shouldn't limit ourselves to the same pop culture references over and over just because people won't catch it right away. Also, ironic how OP is notorious for obscure references that need expo's lol
Unread 12-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #3

Bleu

Some lines definitely need expo in one way or another and I don't think it's swaying as long as you don't cross the line into that territory. We shouldn't limit ourselves to the same pop culture references over and over just because people won't catch it right away. Also, ironic how OP is notorious for obscure references that need expo's lol

Unread 12-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
How often do I ever expo them, though?
Unread 12-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #4

Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
How often do I ever expo them, though?

Unread 12-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Supsie

What are you talking about rant, no one can see votes n comments on battles until they voted on them by then they cannot change there vote anyway so idk what ur on about bruh.
Unread 12-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #5

Supsie

What are you talking about rant, no one can see votes n comments on battles until they voted on them by then they cannot change there vote anyway so idk what ur on about bruh.

Unread 12-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Ranked Text Record
105 Won / 19 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 1 Lost

You can see the expos before you vote, Soup....only comments from participants are able to be seen

Remembering RULE
The Puncher's Funeral
Unread 12-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

Esso Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!
Ranked Text Record
105 Won / 19 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 1 Lost

You can see the expos before you vote, Soup....only comments from participants are able to be seen
Unread 12-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Aggo

We've discussed this ad nauseum. The point that is often made and that I side With his that in a live battle or even an audio battle you have more tools to get your point across. Hand gestures and body language in a live battle. Voice inflections and pitch changes in audio. Text doesn't have these luxuries so things that you could highlight in other formats using those aforementioned tools, in text you use expos. As long as you stick to the facts and don't add little asides in your expo, I have no problem with it.
Unread 12-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #7

Aggo

We've discussed this ad nauseum. The point that is often made and that I side With his that in a live battle or even an audio battle you have more tools to get your point across. Hand gestures and body language in a live battle. Voice inflections and pitch changes in audio. Text doesn't have these luxuries so things that you could highlight in other formats using those aforementioned tools, in text you use expos. As long as you stick to the facts and don't add little asides in your expo, I have no problem with it.

Unread 12-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Rain Matrix 2021
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
14 Won / 11 Lost

Expo's aren't swaying lol

The world gets more PC by the day
Unread 12-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #8

Rain Matrix 2021
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
14 Won / 11 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 15 text
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Expo's aren't swaying lol

The world gets more PC by the day
Unread 12-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggo View Post
How does inflection, or body language explain a personal in a live battle? Or, how does it explain a reference you've made in a battle? E.G. Who a basketball player is. People expo things that have absolutely nothing to do with inflection or emphasis. Highlighting wordplay can easily be done in a verse in parenthesis.
Unread 12-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggo View Post
How does inflection, or body language explain a personal in a live battle? Or, how does it explain a reference you've made in a battle? E.G. Who a basketball player is. People expo things that have absolutely nothing to do with inflection or emphasis. Highlighting wordplay can easily be done in a verse in parenthesis.

Unread 12-02-2017, 07:54 PM
EtH

I dislike expos, but to be fair, as someone who often links in battles, that shit takes up a whole line. If I diss someone's appearance, I want to be able to show the readers what I'm referencing.
Unread 12-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #10

EtH

I dislike expos, but to be fair, as someone who often links in battles, that shit takes up a whole line. If I diss someone's appearance, I want to be able to show the readers what I'm referencing.