Register Articles FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Journals

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03-23-2020, 05:14 PM
Cosovic
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default As a Newcomer, I'd like to share my biggest 3 problems with this site

I've been here maybe a little bit over a month and am only here because I love this shit. That said, I honestly think addressing these 3 problems will make battling here better for everyone.

1- Voting Criteria:
Multis take precedence over every other aspect of battling and writing on this site. Multis are extremely important but I think they should be PART of the criteria, not MOST of the criteria. Multis, punches, creativity, scheming are all important and should be equal on the scale of judging. You can't give one guy a W because he rhymed more syllables even though he just said generic shit for 4 bars. This is battle rap, not a syllable counting competition and you're taking away from the art form if you're constant rewarding MFers who just "rhyme to rhyme"

2- Generic Voting:
I won't say any names , but this is not a real vote
"Both guys stood toe to toe and the other just couldn't take anymore, fairs in yO"

That's not a fucking vote. If you aren't actually critiquing the writing then don't vote. Mods should reinforce this somehow or maybe have designated voting mods instead of anyone being able to vote just because they have an account.

3- Higher ranked battlers preying on low hanging fruit:
If you're higher ranked, whether that be 5, 10, 20 or whatever, you should want to battle guys ranked near you and higher than you. If you think you're the best , you shouldn't be only battling unranked newcomers who haven't even realized they should cap their punches just so you can keep padding your record. That's some pussy ass shit.I want to battle only the best because I think I'm the best. That's the way it should be.

That's all home team. Appreciate y'all.
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #1

Cosovic

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Default As a Newcomer, I'd like to share my biggest 3 problems with this site

I've been here maybe a little bit over a month and am only here because I love this shit. That said, I honestly think addressing these 3 problems will make battling here better for everyone.

1- Voting Criteria:
Multis take precedence over every other aspect of battling and writing on this site. Multis are extremely important but I think they should be PART of the criteria, not MOST of the criteria. Multis, punches, creativity, scheming are all important and should be equal on the scale of judging. You can't give one guy a W because he rhymed more syllables even though he just said generic shit for 4 bars. This is battle rap, not a syllable counting competition and you're taking away from the art form if you're constant rewarding MFers who just "rhyme to rhyme"

2- Generic Voting:
"Both guys stood toe to toe and the other just couldn't take anymore, fairs in yO"

That's not a fucking vote. If you aren't actually critiquing the writing then don't vote. Mods should reinforce this somehow or maybe have designated voting mods instead of anyone being able to vote just because they have an account.

If you're higher ranked, whether that be 5, 10, 20 or whatever, you should want to battle guys ranked near you and higher than you. If you think you're the best , you shouldn't be only battling unranked newcomers who haven't even realized they should cap their punches just so you can keep padding your record. That's some pussy ass shit.I want to battle only the best because I think I'm the best. That's the way it should be.

Unread 03-23-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosovic View Post

1- Voting Criteria:

2- Generic Voting:

Unfortunately, people that are just looking to vote quick for credits will often look at a number of capped words or quotation marks and declare a winner. Votes that aren’t explained well can be removed by request if you talk to a mod. People should be explaining their votes more than the example you just gave. Mods have a low key way of dealing with folks that consistently cast bad votes. That third part? Don’t pay attention to the rankings....they don’t mean much of anything at all. Once you’re here a while you’ll know who’s who. Peep the tournaments if you want to know who’s actually good and whose votes should be paid more attention to as far as using feedback to improve.

Unfortunately, rushed and uneducated votes always have been and will be an issue. It’s just what it is. Don’t let it deter you though if you like this stuff....it really is one of the last great places left to text battle as it’s a dying ‘art’.
https://www.letsbeef.com/cypher_deta...on=tb&id=67728

Remembering RULE
Please join us in loving celebration of the memory of an accomplished and amazing life at:
The Puncher's Funeral
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #2

Esso Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!Esso is on FIRE! 30+ wins in a row!

Quote:

1- Voting Criteria:

2- Generic Voting:

Unfortunately, people that are just looking to vote quick for credits will often look at a number of capped words or quotation marks and declare a winner. Votes that aren’t explained well can be removed by request if you talk to a mod. People should be explaining their votes more than the example you just gave. Mods have a low key way of dealing with folks that consistently cast bad votes. That third part? Don’t pay attention to the rankings....they don’t mean much of anything at all. Once you’re here a while you’ll know who’s who. Peep the tournaments if you want to know who’s actually good and whose votes should be paid more attention to as far as using feedback to improve.

Unfortunately, rushed and uneducated votes always have been and will be an issue. It’s just what it is. Don’t let it deter you though if you like this stuff....it really is one of the last great places left to text battle as it’s a dying ‘art’.
https://www.letsbeef.com/cypher_deta...on=tb&id=67728

Remembering RULE
Please join us in loving celebration of the memory of an accomplished and amazing life at:
The Puncher's Funeral
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:50 PM
korvus

Quote:

1- Voting Criteria:

2- Generic Voting:

while i thought you brought up some good points, i'd argue that no good voters just considers multi's. if you see a good voter only TALK about the multis in their vote, that must mean that's what "triggered" them the most. however, they were surely many things that went into the vote. i've read some of your work, and i def feel like your biggest issue is your punches tend to feel like jabs, and that's because of how they're structured, and the over lack of strength in concept. (this isn't a knock to you)
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #3

korvus

Quote:

1- Voting Criteria:

2- Generic Voting:

while i thought you brought up some good points, i'd argue that no good voters just considers multi's. if you see a good voter only TALK about the multis in their vote, that must mean that's what "triggered" them the most. however, they were surely many things that went into the vote. i've read some of your work, and i def feel like your biggest issue is your punches tend to feel like jabs, and that's because of how they're structured, and the over lack of strength in concept. (this isn't a knock to you)

Unread 03-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Student
LB Historian
Mentioned: 2492 Post(s)
Tagged: 46 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
97 Won / 75 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 2 Lost

Co-Sign with @Esso and you have valid points @Cosovic I won't be a dick and say these have been brought up before because that looks extra lame telling a new guy that they've been addressed but not fixed.

Not sure what a permanent fix looks like but in the meantime the Staff could be a little more vigilant in removing bullshit votes and informing those users that their vote was removed, they should explain future votes, etc. Especially now when we don't have that many battles going on.

Regular users should report others too, ideally not directly or publicly but to a Staff member to deal with.

This way, slowly, the culture starts to shift that on this website we're giving each other real feedback and not just stacking up wins.
Unread 03-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #4

Student
LB Historian
Estimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
97 Won / 75 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 2 Lost

Voted: 98 audio / 587 text
Mentioned: 2492 Post(s)
Tagged: 46 Thread(s)

Co-Sign with @Esso and you have valid points @Cosovic I won't be a dick and say these have been brought up before because that looks extra lame telling a new guy that they've been addressed but not fixed.

Not sure what a permanent fix looks like but in the meantime the Staff could be a little more vigilant in removing bullshit votes and informing those users that their vote was removed, they should explain future votes, etc. Especially now when we don't have that many battles going on.

Regular users should report others too, ideally not directly or publicly but to a Staff member to deal with.

This way, slowly, the culture starts to shift that on this website we're giving each other real feedback and not just stacking up wins.
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:08 PM
Kiwi Peewee
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

imo we have made some big strides with voting; the generic "fv gb no h8 vb" used to be just about every vote but now almost everyone at least tries to break down their decision.

Problems 2 & 3 are literally just Bnas lmao, he will never change but the bright side is nobody takes him seriously so as long as there are other voters on your battle it doesn't matter. As far as multis, at a lower level of battling very few people tend to bring real punches anyway so multis are often the only thing you can really talk about to separate the battlers out when writing a vote.

If you do see votes where the person clearly hasn't read the battle before voting please contact a mod because if it's clear cut the person can be banned for it.
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #5

Kiwi Peewee
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

Voted: 49 audio / 843 text

imo we have made some big strides with voting; the generic "fv gb no h8 vb" used to be just about every vote but now almost everyone at least tries to break down their decision.

Problems 2 & 3 are literally just Bnas lmao, he will never change but the bright side is nobody takes him seriously so as long as there are other voters on your battle it doesn't matter. As far as multis, at a lower level of battling very few people tend to bring real punches anyway so multis are often the only thing you can really talk about to separate the battlers out when writing a vote.

If you do see votes where the person clearly hasn't read the battle before voting please contact a mod because if it's clear cut the person can be banned for it.
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:10 PM
Kiwi Peewee
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

But in general I think these are some good points on how the battle arena is going at the moment; although we are doing our best to address them through initiatives like the FVC unfortunately the basic arena often gets overlooked or ignored a lot of the time. I do actually have some ideas around this though, and once I have some time on my hands I will attempt to address some of this more.
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #6

Kiwi Peewee
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

But in general I think these are some good points on how the battle arena is going at the moment; although we are doing our best to address them through initiatives like the FVC unfortunately the basic arena often gets overlooked or ignored a lot of the time. I do actually have some ideas around this though, and once I have some time on my hands I will attempt to address some of this more.
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:40 PM
Cosovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Peewee View Post
I appreciate your feedback. I don't khow many problems the concept of "designated voting mods" crates on your end of things, but theoretically it seems like a fair solution. Maybe 5-10 mods who objectively vote on battles with all of the criteria would really solidify a lot on here.

Idk, just an idea I'm throwing out.

Also, while we're at it, how exactly do I sign up for a Text Battle Tourney. Are there qualifications for that, or?
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #7

Cosovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Peewee View Post
I appreciate your feedback. I don't khow many problems the concept of "designated voting mods" crates on your end of things, but theoretically it seems like a fair solution. Maybe 5-10 mods who objectively vote on battles with all of the criteria would really solidify a lot on here.

Also, while we're at it, how exactly do I sign up for a Text Battle Tourney. Are there qualifications for that, or?

Unread 03-23-2020, 06:55 PM
Rain Matrix 2021
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
14 Won / 11 Lost

I fucked up i had a bunch of shit wrote out , and i was trying to end my last sentence with a question mark but all i get are these ÉÉÉÉÉ ... So i hit refresh tryina figure out how to fix it and lost everything. Had Some good points made too

But i was thinking , what if we did like UFC a little

Like we have leagues like datpiff had , but we have ... Beginners, Novices, Intermediate, Professional, & Champions ... And every new account starts off at beginner until the mods feel their ready to move up. (Maybe be made to battle someone in the higher league & have to win to get into it) Til then u can only battle people in your league.. & Maybe have your VP be based off that a little too. Beginners have 1 Vp... Professionals got 4Vp .. Champs get 5 ... That sorta thing. Since theyre obviously more skilled, theyd know a little more than a Novice. Maybe make it a title too .. like youll have the word Professional under your name ... kind of a respect thing. Plus its kinda like climbing up the ladder , Kinda fun starting at level 1 Eh

Have a ranking system since there aint an abundance of members anymore. And like , top 3-5 ranked get to challenge the champions. Topical, Grand Champ, 1 Bar ... Whatever. I dont see a point in There being beginner or novice titles aye ... Kinda redundant. Maybe sometimes still host Tournaments , as like a wildcard spot sorta thing So Everyone Gets a Chance.. & So we dont lose that cuz its still interesting to do

But like, #1 Every month gets first pick at what champ he wants ... & 2nd gets whatevers leftover, & So on. Maybe

Definately makes shit more interesting ... + its weird to have 20 grand champions walking around. Its almost weirder not to be a grand champ at this point

Fuckin pissed i lost that post tho i dont even wanna re-write it right now , its funner when shit just comes out naturally ... Maybe later

ThoughtsÉ .... Still cant make question marks

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

It was more of a solution to #3 but it touched on #2 a little too ... + Theres no End-Goal to LB. Whatre we doing this for aye ... Make it a Game. It dont gotta be what i said, but do something .... Fuck when i work, i turn shit into a game ... Like lets mop this floor Ill make it fun bud

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Wow i really thought all that out on the spot Thats Like a whole blueprint to a video game bud

Pop Pop

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I Will Put My Title On The Line & Defend It By Myself

Now we get to see what Champions Feel Like Their Washed-up .... Automatically Remove Their Titles If They Say no Loll
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #8

Rain Matrix 2021
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
14 Won / 11 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 15 text
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

I fucked up i had a bunch of shit wrote out , and i was trying to end my last sentence with a question mark but all i get are these ÉÉÉÉÉ ... So i hit refresh tryina figure out how to fix it and lost everything. Had Some good points made too

But i was thinking , what if we did like UFC a little

Like we have leagues like datpiff had , but we have ... Beginners, Novices, Intermediate, Professional, & Champions ... And every new account starts off at beginner until the mods feel their ready to move up. (Maybe be made to battle someone in the higher league & have to win to get into it) Til then u can only battle people in your league.. & Maybe have your VP be based off that a little too. Beginners have 1 Vp... Professionals got 4Vp .. Champs get 5 ... That sorta thing. Since theyre obviously more skilled, theyd know a little more than a Novice. Maybe make it a title too .. like youll have the word Professional under your name ... kind of a respect thing. Plus its kinda like climbing up the ladder , Kinda fun starting at level 1 Eh

Have a ranking system since there aint an abundance of members anymore. And like , top 3-5 ranked get to challenge the champions. Topical, Grand Champ, 1 Bar ... Whatever. I dont see a point in There being beginner or novice titles aye ... Kinda redundant. Maybe sometimes still host Tournaments , as like a wildcard spot sorta thing So Everyone Gets a Chance.. & So we dont lose that cuz its still interesting to do

But like, #1 Every month gets first pick at what champ he wants ... & 2nd gets whatevers leftover, & So on. Maybe

Definately makes shit more interesting ... + its weird to have 20 grand champions walking around. Its almost weirder not to be a grand champ at this point

Fuckin pissed i lost that post tho i dont even wanna re-write it right now , its funner when shit just comes out naturally ... Maybe later

ThoughtsÉ .... Still cant make question marks

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

It was more of a solution to #3 but it touched on #2 a little too ... + Theres no End-Goal to LB. Whatre we doing this for aye ... Make it a Game. It dont gotta be what i said, but do something .... Fuck when i work, i turn shit into a game ... Like lets mop this floor Ill make it fun bud

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Wow i really thought all that out on the spot Thats Like a whole blueprint to a video game bud

Pop Pop

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I Will Put My Title On The Line & Defend It By Myself

Now we get to see what Champions Feel Like Their Washed-up .... Automatically Remove Their Titles If They Say no Loll
Unread 03-23-2020, 07:11 PM
Kiwi Peewee
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

Quote:

The idea of 5-10 voting mods is wonderful but unfortunately impossible. The current mod team is 3 people, one and a half of whom are active at the moment. The closest thing is the FVC (Fair Voters Club), which is designated to vote on important battles and try to cover as much of the basic arena as they can. They have a higher voting power (VP) than regular users so their votes can counteract bad voters'. The FVC is currently very small cos a few people have left but I'm looking to shore it back up in the coming days. I do think its important to let everyone have a voice on battles though, giving all the power to a small group of people can be dangerous and ultimately battle rap is an art, not a science, so there's no objective way to win except by winning over the crowd.
Unread 03-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #9

Kiwi Peewee
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

Quote:

The idea of 5-10 voting mods is wonderful but unfortunately impossible. The current mod team is 3 people, one and a half of whom are active at the moment. The closest thing is the FVC (Fair Voters Club), which is designated to vote on important battles and try to cover as much of the basic arena as they can. They have a higher voting power (VP) than regular users so their votes can counteract bad voters'. The FVC is currently very small cos a few people have left but I'm looking to shore it back up in the coming days. I do think its important to let everyone have a voice on battles though, giving all the power to a small group of people can be dangerous and ultimately battle rap is an art, not a science, so there's no objective way to win except by winning over the crowd.
Unread 03-23-2020, 07:53 PM
CakedOut

Unread 03-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #10

CakedOut