Battle Rap and Freestyle Battles at Lets Beef

Bonita Bonfire
Ranked #-- this Season
9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars9.26/10 stars
Crew: None
Reppin: Albany, New York, United States
HOTTEST AUDIO BATTLE

VS
CCeee
Ranked #7 this Season
9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars9.6/10 stars
Crew: LoV Firing Squad
Reppin:Canada

Start a battle

Vote on a battle to earn +1 credit!

Custom Beat Unified Championship 2024 - Continued

Battle Feed
Truer vs CCeee
Style: Written Blind Drop
5 Votes 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars
Flako Boom vs Bonita Bonfire
4 Votes 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars
SteelnKillz vs YuckWTF
Bonita Bonfire vs CCeee
Style: Freestyle
Truer vs Tain
Style: Written
6 Votes 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars
YuckWTF vs DeadTRIDeadTRI is on FIRE! 10+ wins in a row!DeadTRI is on FIRE! 10+ wins in a row!
Style: Written
10 Votes 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars

[ more battles... ]

Go Back   Lets Beef - Battle Rap Forums > Journals
Register Articles FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Journals

Notices

Journal Information Journal Tools Search this Journal
Journalist: god123
Entries: 10 (Private: )
Comments: 1
Start Date: 03-28-2017
Last Update: 04-26-2017
Views: 452

Date Posted: 04-26-2017 at 05:49 PM - Comments (0)
http://www.myrapname.com/
cant find a name????
Date Posted: 04-26-2017 at 05:44 PM - Comments (0)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ-dxwhbvok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6gOz2wtKzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZp6nD1VzbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQyOLW7ETzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKsul8JcQFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeHEmxL4mms

check them out good beats
hi welcome
Date Posted: 03-28-2017 at 04:42 PM - Comments (0)
ask me ay thing im free email at tysonalmendarez123@gmail.com im a beat maker dj and rapper if you want to rap battle me i may or may not
rhyme
Date Posted: 03-28-2017 at 04:38 PM - Comments (0)
Rap Rhyming Dictionary
Really good rappers and poets only break out the rhyme-dictionary sometimes. In most cases your better off generating your own list of rhyming words and phrases for what you're trying to rhyme with. Tips on rhyming and writng rhymes can be found in The Rapper's Handbook.

Let's take a line from Slick Rick for example. This is from "The Auditorium" with Mos Def. His line is:

Sit, come and relax, riddle off the mac,
It's the patch, I'm a soldier in the middle of Iraq,

Slick Rick never could have written that line with a rhyming dictionary. He rhymes "relax" with "mac" with "patch" with "Iraq." Off all of those, only "Iraq" and "mac" show up in a rhyming dictionary. So you're better off working off your own mind, using slant rhyme, and picking up The Rapper's Handbook.

Good Rap Rhyming Dictionaries
Dillfrog - The only online slant-rhyme (aka off-rhyme) dictionary will give you various words and sounds related to your rhyme-word. Note: the program doesn't work perfectly.

Rhymezone - A giant and powerful rhyming dictionary, which can be used for writing raps, poems or anything.

Rhymer - Another good rhyming dictionary, which allows you to modify your search to find different rhyme forms.
hand gester
Date Posted: 03-28-2017 at 04:37 PM - Comments (0)
The Guide to Hip-Hop Hand Gestures
Lady: “John Paul, why don’t you entertain us with something as well?
Why don’t you rap for us!”

JP: “Oh, very well.”

Lady: “Oh goody!”

JP: “But hold my martini. I have to do those hand gestures.”

- The Coup, “Pimps”(aka Freestylin at the Fortune 500 Club)
Everybody knows that a rapper without hand gestures is like Swiss cheese without the holes, but you'd be surprised to know that no one has launched a study of hip-hop hand gestures. Until now! Flocabulary's presents the Guide to Hip-Hop Hand Gestures, which is also featured in The Rapper's Handbook: A Guide to Freestyling & Writing Rhymes.

The Mos Def Wave
Hand Gesture Meaning
This is a simple classic that's been used by everyone from Tupac to Big Boi to Mos Def. It's a versatile move, perfect for park bench freestyles (see movie below) and battles.

The arm is lowered but bent at the elbow so that the hand is shoulder height. Your fingers should be extended and pressed together almost like a Miss America wave. Now angle your arm down a little so you don’t look too much like Miss America and shake at the elbow. Works well with a corresponding head shake.

The best emcees add varation by throwing in other moves or by angling their hand farther down. You can flip this one horizontal, almost like you’re scratching a record. It’s all about the rhythm.

Here is Mos Def doing a laid-back version of his hand wave, while freein' in the park, sippin' diet Sprite.

The Slim Shady Chop

Eminem is an emcee who doesn't do too many fancy hand gestures. While his lyrics are complex (see the multis lesson), his hand motions are simple. He holds it down with some basic moves, often rapping with one arm extended far in front of him. He varies it up by throwing his arm in the air, dropping it to his side, swinging it back and forth or doing other moves, but his basic move keeps his arm far out in front.

To do it, extend your arm in front of you so that your elbow is bent just slightly. Your hand can be pointing or with your fingers all flat. Now you have two basic moves. One is a vertical chop, up and down on the beat. The other is to twist your hand in front of your chest and either do something close to the Ninja Star or just throw it back out again quickly.

Because the motions are so dramatic and exaggerated, this one’s good for big jams or battles. I like going from this one into a full arm version of the Mos Def Wave and then back.

The Ninja Star

This is a simple classic that works for diverse styles, but especially for laid-back flows.

Drop your right arm to your side. Turn your palm up towards your face, and open it as if you were about to pitch a softball. Curl your pinky and ring fingers in to your palm, but keep your middle finger, index finger and thumb extended.

As you spit, wag it back and forth. Some rappers keep their arm low, close to their hip, while others bring it up and extend it away from their body. The idea is that as you’re flowing, you kind of look like you’re tossing off ninja stars like that old Sega arcade game Shinobi.
Kweli letting off more ninja stars than the seven samurai while performing Blackstar's "Respiration."

Tonedeff Fast-Finger Piano-Playa

Tonedeff is an emcee with an absurdly fast flow. He uses lots of unique hand gestures and adds lots of variation to match his wild, quick flow. One of his standards is the Fast-Finger Piano-Playa.

Your hand should be in the same position as with the Kweli Finger Wag, with your elbow bent and your hand extended. Instead of wagging, though, make the palm of your hand face the ground (or face front), and now bob your fingers up and down individually. Do this very quickly, as though you were playing a piano while riding a horse. This works best if you shake your hand back and forth sometimes, but then sometimes lift it up and down to the rhythym of your lyrics.

This is a really unique move that might not work for you, but it just shows that good hand gestures are as unique as the emcees who use them.

Tonedeff with those wild finger motions that match his flow like syrup on pancakes.
improve rapping
Date Posted: 03-28-2017 at 04:36 PM - Comments (0)
“The hardest thing for me to do, as far as writing a rhyme, is figuring out how it’s going to go. Once I get in my mind that it’s going to go “da da da dadada da da,” then it’s kind of like filling in the blanks. I take the typical words, or I pick a two-word, three-word pattern. One of the things I’m known for is I was one of the first rappers to end their bars rhyming multisyllabically.”
- Bun B

Learn How to Rap
This Rap Lesson comes from The Rapper's Handbook.
Multi-Syllable Rhymes
Once a rare treat, multis are now being used in hip-hop more and more frequently as lyricists constantly try to outdo each other. Multis aren’t necessarily harder to write than normal rhymes. They just take extra effort. You’ll find that the effort is well worth it. Spit multis, and get your vitamin C.

What are multis?
Multi is short for “multi-syllable rhyme.” Multis are phrases in which more than one syllable rhymes. Multis can be double, triple, quadruple (etc…) rhymes.

Normal rhyme: cat / hat
Multi rhyme: my cat / hi-hat
Or a longer multi: bit my cat / hit the hi-hat

Southern rapper Ludacris loves featuring multis in his verses. His trademark delivery (in which he slows down and emphasizes the rhyming words above all others) works well when he slips in clever multis. Check out any Ludacris song for quality multis, or check out the lines below, which he spit during a freestyle while performing at Yale University.

My life savings, I made it in shows,
Then lost it on my way to Yale, ‘cause I paid it in tolls

What’s the difference between multis and in-rhymes?
In-rhymes:
The fact is I kick phat raps, so know that
Not just one, I roll with my crew, you step back

Multis:
Ain’t no need for wondering who’s the man,
Staying looking right always an exclusive brand
– Big Daddy Kane, “One Day”

Both Together:
This is a job – I get paid to sling some raps,
What you made last year was less than my income tax

Why Use Multis?
Multis are hallmarks of all the dopest flows, and all the best rappers use them. They are more complex and more impressive than normal rhymes and so command a lot more respect. Multis add variation to your verse and will help you craft better rhymes.

How to Write Multis
Multis aren’t that much harder to write than typical rhymes; they just take more time. Step one is to take one line that you want to use. Take this line for example:

The elite force like army rangers and navy seals,

Now, to create a multi with “navy seals” the first thing you want to do is list all the words that rhyme with “navy.” The easiest way to do this is by using a rhyme dictionary and listing the results, but keep in mind that this will only give you the ‘perfect’ rhymes, not the slant rhymes. Slant rhymes are very important because they allow you to write more creative lines. This is especially true when you’re writing multis, because otherwise your lines might come out contrived and stupid. In the Ludacris example above, “tolls” and “shows” are slant rhymes.

The other problem with rhyming dictionaries is that they do the work for you. If you take the time to actually think of all the rhymes for the word for yourself, you’re more likely to get those rhymes in your head for future freestyles. That’s why I don’t recommend rhyme dictionaries unless you’re really stuck.

Perfect rhymes for navy:
gravy
wavy

Slant rhymes for navy:
maybe
baby
lady
rabies
weighty
etc.

Then repeat this process for the second word, in this case, “seals.”

Perfect rhymes with seals:
deals
eels
feels
heels
meals
peels
reels
squeals
steals
wheels

Slant rhymes for seals:
stales
whales
beans
etc.

Now we go through the process of linking up navy-rhymes with seals-rhymes. There are lots of combinations, so try to pick some that make some sense:

Baby meals
Wavy eels
Lady squeals
Gravy feels
Weighty whales

Then we pick one and write a line that makes sense using it:

I kick it operatic ‘til that fat lady squeals
or
your lyrics are stuffing, so now I know how gravy feels
or
I’ll call you Gerber ‘cause ya spittin’ up some baby meals

Write a bunch of them, and then use the one that you like best. Or use a bunch of them in a row like this:

The elite force like army rangers and navy seals,
I kick it operatic ‘til that fat lady squeals
Your lyrics are stuffing, so now I know how gravy feels,
I’ll call you Gerber ‘cause ya spittin’ up some baby meals

That’s the simplest way to write multis. If you master that simple technique, you should immediately notice your lyrical skills improving. You can find find the continuation of this lesson in The Rapper's Handbook. Spit fire.
words with no rhyme
Date Posted: 03-28-2017 at 04:34 PM - Comments (0)
Rhymes for Words That Have No Rhyme
There are many words that have no rhyme in the English language. "Orange" is only the most famous. Other words that have no rhyme include:
silver, purple, month, ninth, pint, wolf, opus, dangerous, marathon and discombobulate.

But just because these words have no 'perfect rhyme' doesn't mean we can't rhyme with them. Using slant rhyme, we can rhyme with these words anyway. To add anything to the list,

Words With No Rhyme? We Rhyme 'Em Anyway.
orange - foreign, boring, forage, porridge, door-hinge, score bench, Mormon, chorus, swordfish
silver - filter, shiver, filler, deliver, liver
purple - Steve Urkel, whirlpool, urinal, hurtful, circles
month - dunce, hunts, moth, runt
ninth - mine, lines, absinth, labyrinth
pint - ain't, paint, might
wolf - gulf, fur, enough, dull
opus - flow this, rope is, Lupus, lotus, bogus, psychosis
dangerous - major risk, plagiarist, cameras, game to us, spontaneous
marathon - care what's on, dandruff song, Dara's wrong, Santa's gone, paragon
discombobulate - the disco they love to hate, Crisco ovulate, risky even on a date, Sisqo's rollerblades

slant rhymes with

and

slant rhymes with

and

slant rhymes with

Of course, we can also try to rhyme with "orange" and other rhymeless words by slipping them into longer, multisyllabic rhymes. Like this:

The four engineers wore orange braziers.

or

Bronze, plus some silver and gold,
Won't be of help if you shiver when cold.

Other readers have insisted that the word "sporange" rhymes with "orange," but "sporange" appears in very few dictionaries. Apparently it's a botanical term for a sac that contains spores. Likewise the useful word "porange," which describes hair that grows where hair typically doesn't grow, is not in any dictionaries that we've found. Other readers have noted that a mountain overlooking the town of Abergavenny in Wales is named Blorenge. Some have insisted that a famous horse is buried there. In any event, the rhyme has been of use to a local bard with an extravagant name (Daffydd Traswfynnydd ap Llewellyn-Jones), who writes:

As I left Aber town one day, a suckin' on an orange,
I saw the rain clouds rolling in from the direction of the Blorenge.

But are we really counting proper nouns? If that were the case, I just might name my daughter "Laurenge," just so she can grow up saying, "I rhyme with a rhymeless word."

Still others have noted that "curple" rhymes with "purple." True. But the word - which means "hind-quarters or rump of a horse" - is no longer in much use. I guess it's up to us to bring it back. Others say we should include "nurple" - as in "purple nurple," a slang term for a very painful prank. But that slang term hasn't made its way into Webster's yet, even if
how to rap
Date Posted: 03-28-2017 at 04:32 PM - Comments (0)
Step 1. Start easy
No need to start off rhyming “the toasty cow’s utter” with “most o’ my flow’s butter”. No need to even rhyme. Just forget everything else and flow. The rhythm can be simple, the words might be second-grade level, but you’re still freestyling as long as you make it up. This was my first freestyle rap, which I spit when I was 11 months old:

I am funny,
I like bunnies,
Touch my tummy,
Mummy

Step 2. Keep flowing
You’re going to make mistakes. You’re going to sound stupid. Make your first freestyle rap verses your stupidest verses just to get them out of the way. Keep flowing. Can’t think of a rhyme? Keep flowing! Stutter over words? Keep flowing. It’s inevitable that at some point some of your lines won’t rhyme, won’t make sense, or that you will inadvertently diss yourself. (I knew one guy who accidentally dissed himself all the time when we were freestyling.) Just keep flowing. If you make a mistake, do your best to incorporate your mistake into your next lines like Eminem did on this freestyle:

I take a beat and loop it,
I take a beat and choop it,
Choop it? What does that mean?
I don’t know but I got fat jeans on,
And I already said that,
I don’t know where my head’s at,

Another technique to use when you find yourself in a bind is to whip out a quick filler. Fillers are just little phrases that you can insert occasionally to give you more time to think of a dope line. Every emcee has his own fillers. For example, Eyedea says “I grab the microphone.” Jin often says, “I’m (nasty) when I’m freeing.” I usually say, “You know what I’m sayin’?”

Try to come up with a few fillers that you feel comfortable using. They’ll bail you out of some awkward pauses. As you get better, you can rely less heavily on your fillers.

Step 3. Rhyme in your mind ahead of time
Here’s the biggest trick to freestyle rapping: as soon as you know what word you’re going to end line 1 with, your mind should start racing to find out a word you can use at the end of line 2. Let’s say your first line is, “I’m colder than a Dairy Queen Blizzard.” As soon as you realize that you’re going to end the line with “Blizzard,” you should immediately think of something that rhymes with that word and might possibly be related:

wizard
lizard
scissor
miss her
pins hurt

Pick one and then try to carve the second line to lead toward that word. Let’s say you pick “wizard,” your next line might be:

I’m colder than a Dairy Queen Blizzard,
This is Lord of the Rings, you’re the hobbit, I’m the wizard,

If you pick “scissor,” you might say:

I’m colder than a Dairy Queen Blizzard,
A rebel since I was five, went running with scissors,

The real trick of freestyling is to have your mind constantly racing ahead of what you’re saying. This isn’t easy, but you’ll get quicker with practice.

Learn How to Rhyme and Rap
Step 4. Write
Writing raps will help you freestyle. When you write, rhymes become embedded in your head, and you’re more likely to be able to pull these rhymes off the top of your head in a freestyle.

For the most part, you should never spit a long pre-written verse at a cipher, but you can certainly use rhyming words and shorter phrases that you’ve worked out beforehand. When Proof rhymes “Ewoks, treetops, and Reeboks” in a freestyle, you better believe he’s thought of those rhymes ahead of time. He’s still freeing, but he’s using rhyme words he’d already worked out.

Sitting down and writing every day will improve your freestyles. It will expand your memory of rhyming words, and it will give you experience working these words into clever lines. It’s also a good idea to write a few multi-purpose bars that you can spit at a freestyle in case you get really stuck. Put those lines in a “Break Out Rhymes In Case of Emergency” box, and smash the glass when you need help. This isn’t cheating; it’s shrewd.

When you’re writing these “in case of emergency” lines, make them strong and interesting, but not too ridiculously amazing. In other words, don’t do this:

Turn the beat up, it’s all that I need, (free)
Rocking my pumas … and my white tee, (free)
Hit or miss, this penetrates the uranium nucleus, (written)
Smoke crews like a hookah plus I’m nuking your crib, (written)

You don’t want your “emergency” rhymes to be that obvious. Try to write rhymes that generally match your level of freestyle but are clever and smart.

Step 5. Rap about things around you
This is definitely the best way to prove to the crowd that you’re really freestyling and not just spitting something you wrote in your room the night before. It’s also a huge crowd-pleaser, ‘cause it’s impressive and it makes everyone real glad that they’re hanging out with you. Rap about things you see. Incorporate objects, actions, people, clothing, situations, and sounds into your rap. When I’m in the shower, I’ll rap about what kind of soap I’m using:

Trying hard to get clean, maybe just a smidgen,
Make my Dove dirty, oh, now I call it pigeon

At a battle competition, this is crucial. You’ve got to spit things specific about your opponent. These are the hardest-hitting punches. Take Iron Solomon’s opening lines against The Saurus in a battle on the streets of New York. He looks his opponent up and down, sees that he’s wearing shorts, and then spits:

Maybe you should have come here rocking a better flannel,
Or at least some long pants,
You should have checked the weather channel.

One of the freestyle kings is a rapper from North Carolina named Spectac, who can spit a rhyme off the top of his head that sounds like it was pre-written. I’ve heard Spectac freestyle for 40 minutes straight over various beats, and I’ve seen him in action at a show, getting some kid to walk around the audience pointing at things and Spec rhymes about it. I asked Spectac what it takes to freestyle. Here’s what he told me:

“Honestly, first of all, you have to have a love for the music and not just the hip-hop genre. You have to love the instrumental. Once you have the passion for it, anybody can develop the ability to freestyle. It comes down to how much time you’re willing to invest in practicing that part of the art. When I’m freestyling, I’m thinking ahead. I’m definitely thinking ahead. At the same time, I don’t get too far ahead of myself. You try to enjoy it with the crowd. Enjoy the punch lines, but keep yourself focused on the fact that the party isn’t over.”

Step 6. Include metaphors
Metaphors and similes are an advanced but important part of freestyle rapping. They are often found in a rapper’s funniest and cleverest lines, and they really differentiate beginners from skilled emcees. A rapper like Lil Wayne lays down verses that straight-up drip with similes and metaphors. He’s the one who is balling like “Rawlings and Spalding,” who is a giant like “fee fi fo fum,” who is counting (money) all day “like a clock on the wall.” Not only does he drop lots of similes, he drops clever, original similes. So do like he does. Don’t just say “sharp as a knife.” Say:

I’m sharp as Samurai swords…
I’m extra sharp like cheddar…
I’m sharp as a Schick Quattro…

Metaphors and similes are really the backbone of an advanced rapper. Learn how to use metaphors correctly. Your rhymes will not only be funnier and smarter, they’ll sound better too. Take these lines from rapper Chingo Bling: “I’m fly like Big Pun on prom night with a cummerbund.” You know that is fly!

Step 7. Reference current events
Just as good as referencing something nearby is referencing something timely. Let’s say, for example, that you are at a cipher, rapping with some of your friends (dissin’ each other, just goofin’ around), and the day before you remember reading that Star Jones recently lost 200 pounds. How dope is it if you throw that in your rhymes:

You big now, but you ‘bout to get cut down,
Faster than Star Jones dropping 200 pounds

I recently heard an emcee reference soaring gas prices:

Fast? Son, that ain’t fast—
I’m rising faster than the price of gas

Whether it’s related to sports, politics, music or celebrities, if it’s in the news, reference it. As Wordsworth told me recently, “I just try to think of what’s important to the people in my surroundings and try to speak on it.”

Step 8. Pass the mic like it’s contagious
Rap in ciphers—groups of two or more rappers playing off each other, trading verses. This is a great way to improve, and it’s definitely fun. One of your friends can beat box, you can throw a beat on the stereo, you can search on YouTube for the instrumental version of your favorite song, or just freestyle over nothing. Take turns, cutting in whenever you want or when someone “passes you the mic.” (You probably won’t have an actual mic.) Never drop the invisible mic! Pick it up and pass it!

Work off other people’s rhymes. If they throw in something about the Bible, pick up that theme and run with it. Try to stick to similar topics, or riff off topics in creative ways. Expand on or reference their lines. When my friends and I cipher, we like to kick about random stuff that we all know about, like our personal lives.

Me:
Got no girlfriend, and girls are good for your health,
Know what I mean? Uh, at least I work for myself,
You see me here, kid, and I rhyme crazy,
Used to have a job reading to a rich blind lady,

Zach:
You rhyme crazy, and sometimes you rhyme lazy,
But I love this rap game, ‘cause rhyming is my baby,
Visually, lyrically I’m known as a mystery,
Y’all couldn’t even see me on HDTV,

It’s always good to pick up the rhyme scheme of the person right before you. In a great freestyle between Brooklyn rappers Mos Def and Talib Kweli (back when they were together as Blackstar), Mos Def ends his first verse asking Kweli if he’s with it. Kweli responds, “I’m always with it…” Later Kweli spits rhymes about some emcees looking wack, then he passes the mic to Mos who continues the rhyme, saying that they always look wack “cause look at the way they dress.” These are the best freestyles: raps that connect with the rhyme sounds and topic of the rappers around you. In the best-case scenario, the rhymes intertwine like the fibers in a Shredded Wheat biscuit.

Step 9. When you’re in a cipher, think ahead
One of the great things about rapping in ciphers is that after you spit one verse you get a break before you spit again. This break is your best friend. It’s during this break that you’ll be listening and responding to your friends’ verses. But you’ll also be planning out your next verse.

Whenever I’m in a cipher, I never like to get back on the mic until I’ve composed four to six quality lines in my head. To be most impressive, these lines will be about things around you, or they’ll be about something your friend said in his verse. Let’s say your friend is wearing a shirt that has Daffy Duck on it. While he’s spitting, you can write a line like this:

I know you’ve had a tough year and had some crappy luck,
But why you gotta wear a shirt with Daffy Duck?

That’s not an amazing line, but I guarantee you that in a cipher people will go nuts over that. (Make sure to point at his shirt as you say it.) I always try to think of two or three of those rhyming couplets before I spit again. Usually I’ll drop one right away and then use the other two later in the verse.

Step 10. Listen and practice
Freestyling, like sculpting or shooting three-pointers, takes an insane amount of practice. Practice as much as you can. Freestyle with homeless people, with your friends, and with your family. Listen to pro rappers who freestyle and try to analyze their styles. Rap all the time; practice all night and day. Practice might not make perfect, but it makes real good. Oh, and pick up The Rapper's Handbook for more lessons like this one. With examples from the pros, the book covers battling, wordplay, flow, recording, song-writing and more.
Date Posted: 03-28-2017 at 03:11 PM - Comments (0)
CD-MIDI[edit]
CD-MIDI is a format used to store music-performance data which upon playback is performed by electronic instruments that synthesize the audio. Hence, unlike the original Red Book CD-DA, these recordings are not digitally sampled audio recordings. The CD-MIDI format is defined as an extension to the original Red Book.
CD-ROM[edit]
Main article: CD-ROM
For the first few years of its existence, the CD was a medium used purely for audio. However, in 1988, the Yellow Book CD-ROM standard was established by Sony and Philips, which defined a non-volatile optical data computer data storage medium using the same physical format as audio compact discs, readable by a computer with a CD-ROM drive.
Video CD (VCD)[edit]
Main article: Video CD
Video CD (VCD, View CD, and Compact Disc digital video) is a standard digital format for storing video media on a CD. VCDs are playable in dedicated VCD players, most modern DVD-Video players, personal computers, and some video game consoles.

The VCD standard was created in 1993 by Sony, Philips, Matsushita, and JVC and is referred to as the White Book standard.

Overall picture quality is intended to be comparable to VHS video. Poorly compressed VCD video can sometimes be lower quality than VHS video, but VCD exhibits block artifacts rather than analog noise and does not deteriorate further with each use.

352x240 (or SIF) resolution was chosen because it is half the vertical and half the horizontal resolution of NTSC video. 352x288 is similarly one quarter PAL/SECAM resolution. This approximates the (overall) resolution of an analog VHS tape, which, although it has double the number of (vertical) scan lines, has a much lower horizontal resolution.
Super Video CD[edit]
Main article: Super Video CD
Super Video CD (Super Video Compact Disc or SVCD) is a format used for storing video media on standard compact discs. SVCD was intended as a successor to VCD and an alternative to DVD-Video and falls somewhere between both in terms of technical capability and picture quality.

SVCD has two-thirds the resolution of DVD, and over 2.7 times the resolution of VCD. One CD-R disc can hold up to 60 minutes of standard quality SVCD-format video. While no specific limit on SVCD video length is mandated by the specification, one must lower the video bit rate, and therefore quality, to accommodate very long videos. It is usually difficult to fit much more than 100 minutes of video onto one SVCD without incurring significant quality loss, and many hardware players are unable to play video with an instantaneous bit rate lower than 300 to 600 kilobits per second.
Photo CD[edit]
Main article: Photo CD
Photo CD is a system designed by Kodak for digitizing and storing photos on a CD. Launched in 1992, the discs were designed to hold nearly 100 high-quality images, scanned prints and slides using special proprietary encoding. Photo CDs are defined in the Beige Book and conform to the CD-ROM XA and CD-i Bridge specifications as well. They are intended to play on CD-i players, Photo CD players and any computer with the suitable software irrespective of the operating system. The images can also be printed out on photographic paper with a special Kodak machine. This format is not to be confused with Kodak Picture CD, which is a consumer product in CD-ROM format.
cd format
Date Posted: 03-28-2017 at 03:07 PM - Comments (1)
There are two main types of CDs that you can create with CD burning software: audio CDs and data CDs.
To ensure that you create a CD that will play anywhere it is important to choose the option to burn an "Audio CD" or "Music CD" and not a "Data CD". A data CD containing for example MP3 or WAV files will play happily on your computer but is unlikely to play in a standalone CD player or in-car CD player (note that some modern CD players will play data CDs). An audio CD will play on any standalone or in-car CD player and in your computer and in modern DVD players.
Audio CDs do not have files or a file system like data CDs and other computer storage media, but consist essentially of a stream of bits on the disc in a single spiral "track" with a TOC (Table of Contents) index.
Audio CDs are generally limited to 74 minutes playing time on a 650 MB disc ("Red Book Standard") or 80 minutes on a 700 MB disc.
When buying blank CDs for burning, it is strongly recommended that you purchase good quality CD-Rs (that can be burnt just once) and not the rewritable CD-RWs.
Audacity setup

Audio CDs always contain uncompressed PCM stereo audio at 44100 Hz sample rate, 16-bit sample format. So to burn an audio CD, export the file(s) you want to burn as a 44100 Hz 16-bit stereo WAV or AIFF file.
To configure Audacity for this:
At the bottom left of the Audacity window, set the Project Rate to 44100 Hz.
Some CD burning software require you to have a stereo track. If your Project does not already contain a stereo track, click Tracks > Add New > Stereo Track. It does not matter that this track is empty, its purpose is just to make Audacity export your recording as a stereo file. This step is not needed if you are burning to CD with iTunes or Toast.
Click File > Export Audio and choose "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM" in the "Save as type" box.
It may be possible to use other formats if your CD-burning software supports them, but they may not give the best quality or they may not be playable on all CD players.
If you experience clicks at the start or end in the resulting CD tracks, this may because your CD burning drive or software does not correct for track splits made outside CD frame boundaries. To enable splits at CD frames, right-click or use the context key when over any of the three fields in Selection Toolbar, then choose one of the selection formats for CDDA frames. This may also be required if burning gapless CDs.
Multiple songs

If you are exporting a long Audacity track that contains multiple songs, please see "Splitting a recording into separate tracks" for how to export multiple files for each of the songs by using labels to identify songs for the Export Multiple command to operate on.
An alternative method is to use Cue Sheets to define individual songs.
Burning software

In order to burn an audio CD you will need a CD burning application. Most computers already come with media player software that can burn CDs. For example, you can use Windows Media Player built into Windows or iTunes built into Macs. Ensure in either Windows Media Player or iTunes that you select the option for burning a "Music CD" and not a "Data CD" as mentioned above, unless you choose Audio CD, the CD will not play on most CD players.
Windows Media Player
In Windows Media Player:
Use the Burn tab
Drag the files you want to burn to CD onto its "Burn list"
Click on "Start burn".
Warning icon Windows Media Player 11 will not accept WAV files for burning if they are dragged straight into a burn list without having previously been played in Media Player. You will see a red symbol and a "length of file cannot be determined" error. To solve this problem, drag the file into the Media Player Library or into a playlist, then from there into a burn list. Windows Media Player 12 does not have this problem.
Also, neither Windows Media Player 11 or 12 can burn AIFF files, so you must export from Audacity as WAV.
iTunes
In iTunes:
Create a playlist
Drag the files you want to burn into it
Right-click on the playlist in the left hand panel and click on the "Burn Playlist to Disc" in the dropdown menu
in iTunes version 9 and earlier, click the Burn Disc button bottom right of the window
Select the burner speed, the gap between songs if you are burning multiple files onto the CD
Make sure "Audio CD" is selected as the "Disc Format"
Click "Burn".
Warning icon Troubleshooting:
If you receive a "computer not authorized" error, double-click the file in the iTunes playlist and enter the password you use to login to iTunes store.
You cannot burn a playlist containing protected M4P files that have been burned more than seven times. In many cases you can re-download iTunes Plus versions of the songs without Digital Rights Management by subscribing to iTunes Match.
If you receive "Error 4880", burning cannot initialize because of a hardware defect or because the burn speed is too high.
Other burning software
You can also use a standalone Windows burning application like CDBurnerXP, Deep Burner or Nero (or Burn or Toast for Mac) to burn your exported files. Most Linux distributions include Brasero or K3B for CD burning. When using standalone burning applications, open the files from within that software, do not drag and drop them from your file manager. Once again do not forget to select the setting to burn an "Audio CD" or "Music CD" as explained above.
Common Pitfalls
Wrong sample rate: Most CD burning software expects all files to be at 44100 Hz.
Unsupported formats: Some CD burning software does not support compressed formats such as MP3, OGG, or M4A/AAC.
Metadata and CD-Text
Even if you use Audacity's Metadata Tags editor to add metadata such as Title, Artist and Genre to your exported WAV files, that metadata does not get automatically burned to the CD. You can set iTunes and some other burning applications (but not Windows Media Player) to burn metadata to each track as separate CD-Text. Providing your CD burner supports CD-Text, a standalone CD player that supports CD-Text will then be able to display each track's metadata.
You can also use a Cue Sheet to add CD-Text in burning applications that support Cue Sheets.
Gapless burning

By default, many CD burning applications add a two-second gap between CD tracks as part of the standard for audio CDs. So be aware of CD track gaps when placing labels between album tracks for Export Multiple and consider deleting excess silences between tracks.
However most CD burning applications have an option to burn the CD with no gaps between tracks. This is useful for recordings such as live concerts, allowing the CD to play continuously if the player supports gapless playback while still permitting skipping to individual CD tracks. If burning a gapless CD, you will need to place the Audacity labels exactly where you intend the burner to mark the track splits. Some CD burning applications (for example, older versions of Windows Media Player) have no option to burn without gaps. Gapless burning is also only available if the optical drive supports Disc-At-Once (DAO).
Additionally, make sure you do not export MP3 files for burning to your gapless CD, even if you're burning a "data CD", because MP3s have inherent silence padding due to a restriction of the MP3 format.
Note you may still hear the most momentary gaps between tracks even on DAO burned CDs, unless the CD player supports true gapless playback. Many CD players do not support gapless playback properly because the hardware simply does not buffer the audio data properly. However quite a few computer-based media players can use DSP effects when playing back audio to give proper gapless playback, even of CDs not burned with DAO. An example of such a player is Apple's iTunes.
Cue Sheets
An alternative solution is to not split the track up at all in Audacity. The best way to get apparently gapless playback of a live concert recording or live album is to burn as one WAV file with with DAO and a "cue sheet" that marks the starting times of each CD track. Cue sheets can be created as simple plain text files.
Each track in a Cue Sheet is of this format:
TRACK (number) AUDIO
TITLE "(name)"
PERFORMER "(name)"
INDEX 01 (start time) in the format minutes:seconds:frames with the first track always being 00:00:00
Audacity cannot currently export Cue Sheets but it is possible to use the File > Export Labels command to export a text file representing the label positions, then on Windows and Linux use label2cue to convert the minutes and seconds data in the text file to minutes, seconds and frames data laid out in cue sheet format.
You can read more about cue sheets on Wikipedia here.
Burning longer recordings to disc

As stated above audio CDs are generally limited to either 74 or 80 minutes, however it is sometimes possible to achive longer times by using Overburning. Alternatively, for longer recordings, you may be able to use data discs provided your player will support and play these. (A data CD will not normally play on older standalone CD players. It will play on computers, most DVD players and in MP3 CD players).
Data CDs and Data DVDs
For burning really long files to optical media, you must burn either a data CD or a data DVD which can contain a set of WAV, MP3 or other audio format files.
For example, burning MP3 files to a 700 MB data CD (sometimes called an "MP3 CD"), and using Audacity's default 128 kbps MP3 export bit rate gives over 11.5 hours playing time. But if 64 kbps MP3 bit rate was chosen (either in "MP3 Export Setup" in the File Formats tab of Preferences, or Options at time of export) about 23 hours of audio would fit on the CD. Note that the penalty of reducing the bit rate would be reduced sound quality (especially so for music but less so for speech).
A single layer 4.7 GB data DVD can accommodate nearly 80 hours of 128 kbps MP3 audio, though some older DVD players will not play DVD data discs, or only those containing certain audio or video formats.
Warning icon A data CD will not normally play on older standalone CD players. It will play on computers, most DVD players and in MP3 CD players.
Overburning
You can also get increased playing time by using overburning, though this is not recommended as it will produce a non-standard CD which may not play on all CD players.
See this article in the Wiki for more information.