Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Dean
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Question Can you become Smarter?

Not talking book smarts.

I mean, actual problem solving skills or fluid intelligence.

I'm in a physics course right now, and its not exactly the easiest subject.
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Dean

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Question Can you become Smarter?

Not talking book smarts.

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDean View Post
Not talking book smarts.

No question. Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
you can only raise your IQ by about 10 points or so .. i cant remember the exact figure

but you can do amazing things simply by being average

just put effort man

most people think theyre dumb but the majority of the time its just a lack of effort

IQ isn't really that important at all. In fact I would go as far as to say it's completely irrelevant. There are tons of examples that IQ has no impact upon success even in academic fields like science.

To the OP, I would advise finding tools that will make you more efficient. Memory Palaces, Studying techniques, reading comprehension etc. etc. Don't be fooled into thinking you can play a few brain games and get smarter.

Also in your original post you imply you want to improve your problem solving skills and then in the next sentence you talk about physics. Well if you want to get good at physics then study like fuck. You don't just have to read, you can experiment too.

I agree with Jason that people lack in effort, they want to find an excuse e.g "My IQ is just naturally low" BS. Work fucking hard and you can master what you want to master.

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #2

Nicholas

Quote:
Not talking book smarts.

No question. Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
you can only raise your IQ by about 10 points or so .. i cant remember the exact figure

but you can do amazing things simply by being average

just put effort man

most people think theyre dumb but the majority of the time its just a lack of effort

IQ isn't really that important at all. In fact I would go as far as to say it's completely irrelevant. There are tons of examples that IQ has no impact upon success even in academic fields like science.

To the OP, I would advise finding tools that will make you more efficient. Memory Palaces, Studying techniques, reading comprehension etc. etc. Don't be fooled into thinking you can play a few brain games and get smarter.

Also in your original post you imply you want to improve your problem solving skills and then in the next sentence you talk about physics. Well if you want to get good at physics then study like fuck. You don't just have to read, you can experiment too.

I agree with Jason that people lack in effort, they want to find an excuse e.g "My IQ is just naturally low" BS. Work fucking hard and you can master what you want to master.

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Dean

It's just that some people in the class learn so much faster then others. Literally, they can ace a test with 15 minutes of studying, compared to two hours for another kid. I actually tried to improve stuff like you mentioned. I used the brain games, studying techniques, I even bought 'Awakening your inner Genius (Good book by the way) ..lol I think you mentioned a while back. It just doesn't seem like any things going to actually make me smarter.

Last edited by Dean; 09-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Dean

It's just that some people in the class learn so much faster then others. Literally, they can ace a test with 15 minutes of studying, compared to two hours for another kid. I actually tried to improve stuff like you mentioned. I used the brain games, studying techniques, I even bought 'Awakening your inner Genius (Good book by the way) ..lol I think you mentioned a while back. It just doesn't seem like any things going to actually make me smarter.

Last edited by Dean; 09-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:30 PM
CakedOut

Anything's possible.

Nobody said it was goanna be easy.

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #4

CakedOut

Anything's possible.

Nobody said it was goanna be easy.

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
No question. Of course.

Also in your original post you imply you want to improve your problem solving skills and then in the next sentence you talk about physics. Well if you want to get good at physics then study like fuck.
You don't just have to read, you can experiment too.

You are limitless - Motivation - YouTube
Lol exactly what I did, and I still didn't get a good grade. I understand you can't just memorize physics, you have to actually understand it, but there's a lot of questions on the test where, it's almost like, you have to figure it out yourself. I thought that if i could increase my problem solving skills or intelligence, the tests would become easier.

Last edited by Dean; 09-09-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

Dean

Quote:
No question. Of course.

Also in your original post you imply you want to improve your problem solving skills and then in the next sentence you talk about physics. Well if you want to get good at physics then study like fuck.
You don't just have to read, you can experiment too.

You are limitless - Motivation - YouTube
Lol exactly what I did, and I still didn't get a good grade. I understand you can't just memorize physics, you have to actually understand it, but there's a lot of questions on the test where, it's almost like, you have to figure it out yourself. I thought that if i could increase my problem solving skills or intelligence, the tests would become easier.

Last edited by Dean; 09-09-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Nicholas

Quote:
Quote:
Don't worry about getting smarter, just focus on getting good at physics. How much did you study for this test?
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #6

Nicholas

Quote:
Quote:
Don't worry about getting smarter, just focus on getting good at physics. How much did you study for this test?

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Pseudo™ Pseudo™ is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row!
Basic Member
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
18 Won / 1 Lost

Quote:
He gave us a heads up a good week before the exam, so I studied, say, 20 mins everyday, for 3 days. Then I studied an hour and a half before the day of the exam.

Basically, I studied probably more then anybody in the class-- took the test --and got a borderline C, compared to kids who got mid Bs with not nearly as much study time.

The grades looked like this, out of a class of 16

A's- 2
B's- 9
C's- 3
F- 2

(This is my multi account by the way)

Last edited by Pseudo™; 09-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

Pseudo™ Pseudo™ is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row!
Basic Member
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.79/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
18 Won / 1 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 64 text
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
He gave us a heads up a good week before the exam, so I studied, say, 20 mins everyday, for 3 days. Then I studied an hour and a half before the day of the exam.

Basically, I studied probably more then anybody in the class-- took the test --and got a borderline C, compared to kids who got mid Bs with not nearly as much study time.

A's- 2
B's- 9
C's- 3
F- 2

Last edited by Pseudo™; 09-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Obey
Mentioned: 1082 Post(s)
Tagged: 35 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.96/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
135 Won / 56 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 1 Lost

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #8

Obey
Estimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.53/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.96/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
135 Won / 56 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 1 Lost

Voted: 9 audio / 317 text
Mentioned: 1082 Post(s)
Tagged: 35 Thread(s)

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny™ View Post

A's- 2
B's- 9
C's- 3
F- 2

I don't mean to be a jackass but studying 20 minutes a day is not "Studying like Fuck". Forget comparisons to other people for two reasons
1) People don't like to seem like they're trying hard so they talk BS to "Fit in"
2) You need to find what works for you, what other people do is irrelevant.

It all depends upon how much you want it, I want to be the best dog trainer in the world. If I don't study a minimum of one hour a day I feel guilty as fuck. Anything worth achieving doesn't come without a degree of pain, without having to work hard.

Screw whether you've got an exam or not, if you want to be the best you have to study every day even in the holidays. You have to do what others won't. I think you have to decide are you willing to give this your everything or is it just not worth the work to you. That's a personal decision.

Keep me updated. BTW Sean Patrick is a pen name, Mike Matthews (fitness guru) is the author of that book and is always available via messaging on Facebook. Drop him a message if you want him to give his take on it.
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

Nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny™ View Post

A's- 2
B's- 9
C's- 3
F- 2

I don't mean to be a jackass but studying 20 minutes a day is not "Studying like Fuck". Forget comparisons to other people for two reasons
1) People don't like to seem like they're trying hard so they talk BS to "Fit in"
2) You need to find what works for you, what other people do is irrelevant.

It all depends upon how much you want it, I want to be the best dog trainer in the world. If I don't study a minimum of one hour a day I feel guilty as fuck. Anything worth achieving doesn't come without a degree of pain, without having to work hard.

Screw whether you've got an exam or not, if you want to be the best you have to study every day even in the holidays. You have to do what others won't. I think you have to decide are you willing to give this your everything or is it just not worth the work to you. That's a personal decision.

Keep me updated. BTW Sean Patrick is a pen name, Mike Matthews (fitness guru) is the author of that book and is always available via messaging on Facebook. Drop him a message if you want him to give his take on it.

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Dean

Alright alright, I got you Nick. I'll put way more effort in to this next test, then I'll update you on the results. Thx for the advice and the videos by the way haha
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

Dean

Alright alright, I got you Nick. I'll put way more effort in to this next test, then I'll update you on the results. Thx for the advice and the videos by the way haha