Go Back   Lets Beef - Battle Rap Forums > Battle Arena > General Talk
Register Articles FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Journals

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Supsie
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default The MainStream Vs The UnderGround.

The MainStream VS THE UNDERGROUND

This thread is about The MainStream Vs The UnderGround when it comes to Hip-Hop/Rap and while some of you have said you can't compare the two technically you can even thought they are two aspects of the same thing, but I just wanted to discuss this and have a convo about it how ever way it goes, it goes but just wanted to talk about these to genres, comment on what you think about this if ya want too aswell and which genre do you feel more in touch with yourself with your style.

The MainStream

So when it comes to the mainstream, its music for the masses and these days the most popular rappers in the mainstream seem to be the mumble rappers and theres a fashion style with it too, colourful dreads, colourful clothes ect.. there not lyrical but people like the sound of there songs for the way it sounds, lyrically there not that creative but it does have a uniqueness too it, other mainstream artists who are not considered mumble rappers can display more skills on the mic though but again there lyrics often don't go too deep, maybe sometimes, but hey, I'm not dissing this genre I mean I can see the manipulation in it that the youth eats up, but I liked some of these guys music, LIL PEEP, XXX Tentacion and Tekashi69 I liked some there artwork. Another thing with this genre is the beats, some of the beats are real cool, XXX Tentacion and LIL PEEP even had songs that were somewhat deep aswell and had feeling you know and some people can relate to that, same with all music, but like it wasn't all just gangsta shit, or cars, money ect all the time... there are parts to this genre that I personally liked.

The UnderGround

So when it comes to the UnderGround, this music is not for the masses, its hidden, its underground people godda look, seek and find it out for themselves, the beats are normally Hip-Hoppsih or underground some which are real dope, some say the mainstream songs sound better but theres a lot of good sounding sounds in the underground too combined with lyrical skill, but yo, the lyrics more lyrical, raw, hardcore and there are some good messages and wisdom in many of the underground artists songs. This is where it began and people may say hip hop has changed now, but theres still underground mc's making tracks, many of the famous ones and even new up an comers in this genre too. Personally for me out the two genres discussed here I like the underground better, it seems more real to me overall, not saying the mainstream dudes can't be some where/are real wid it at times, I remember when I first got into Hip-Hop it started with Tupac (not underground artists but he had the messages in his songs) but then later on after that it was Eminem then the underground artists like Vinnie Paz, R.A the Rugged man and K-rino and more.. the lyrical dopeness an flows was what I thought was really cool and still like that, even in my country the main style of most rappers is still the underground overall quiet different from america at the moment I guess.

Conclusion: Both are good in there own ways, I like parts of the mainstream and certain artists there but overall I like the underground more and the artists there, a bit of both though, and you?

made this pic.

SOME UNDERGROUND TRACKS

Jedi Mind Tricks "Marciano's Reign" feat. Scott Stallone - Official Video

Statik Selektah - "Bird's Eye View" feat. Raekwon, Joey Bada$$ & Black Thought

innie Paz "Gasmask"

Wu-Tang - Frozen ft. Killa Priest, Chris Rivers (Explicit) Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon

Gift of Gab (feat. R.A. The Rugged Man and A-F-R-O) - Freedom Form Flowing

Vinnie Paz - End of Days

WOMBAT - BLACK SHEEP

WOMBAT - when words fail, music speaks.

SOME MAINSTREAM TRACKS

Lil Peep - Save That Shit

Lil Peep - Star Shopping

XXXTENTACION - MOONLIGHT

XXXTENTACION - SAD!

BEBE - 6ix9ine Ft. Anuel AA (Prod. By Ronny J)

6IX9INE "Billy"

DRAM - Broccoli feat. Lil Yachty

XXXTENTACION & Lil Pump ft. Maluma & Swae Lee - "Arms Around You"

Last edited by Supsie; 12-14-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Unread 12-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #1

Supsie

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Default The MainStream Vs The UnderGround.

The MainStream VS THE UNDERGROUND

This thread is about The MainStream Vs The UnderGround when it comes to Hip-Hop/Rap and while some of you have said you can't compare the two technically you can even thought they are two aspects of the same thing, but I just wanted to discuss this and have a convo about it how ever way it goes, it goes but just wanted to talk about these to genres, comment on what you think about this if ya want too aswell and which genre do you feel more in touch with yourself with your style.

The MainStream

So when it comes to the mainstream, its music for the masses and these days the most popular rappers in the mainstream seem to be the mumble rappers and theres a fashion style with it too, colourful dreads, colourful clothes ect.. there not lyrical but people like the sound of there songs for the way it sounds, lyrically there not that creative but it does have a uniqueness too it, other mainstream artists who are not considered mumble rappers can display more skills on the mic though but again there lyrics often don't go too deep, maybe sometimes, but hey, I'm not dissing this genre I mean I can see the manipulation in it that the youth eats up, but I liked some of these guys music, LIL PEEP, XXX Tentacion and Tekashi69 I liked some there artwork. Another thing with this genre is the beats, some of the beats are real cool, XXX Tentacion and LIL PEEP even had songs that were somewhat deep aswell and had feeling you know and some people can relate to that, same with all music, but like it wasn't all just gangsta shit, or cars, money ect all the time... there are parts to this genre that I personally liked.

The UnderGround

So when it comes to the UnderGround, this music is not for the masses, its hidden, its underground people godda look, seek and find it out for themselves, the beats are normally Hip-Hoppsih or underground some which are real dope, some say the mainstream songs sound better but theres a lot of good sounding sounds in the underground too combined with lyrical skill, but yo, the lyrics more lyrical, raw, hardcore and there are some good messages and wisdom in many of the underground artists songs. This is where it began and people may say hip hop has changed now, but theres still underground mc's making tracks, many of the famous ones and even new up an comers in this genre too. Personally for me out the two genres discussed here I like the underground better, it seems more real to me overall, not saying the mainstream dudes can't be some where/are real wid it at times, I remember when I first got into Hip-Hop it started with Tupac (not underground artists but he had the messages in his songs) but then later on after that it was Eminem then the underground artists like Vinnie Paz, R.A the Rugged man and K-rino and more.. the lyrical dopeness an flows was what I thought was really cool and still like that, even in my country the main style of most rappers is still the underground overall quiet different from america at the moment I guess.

Conclusion: Both are good in there own ways, I like parts of the mainstream and certain artists there but overall I like the underground more and the artists there, a bit of both though, and you?

made this pic.

SOME UNDERGROUND TRACKS

Jedi Mind Tricks "Marciano's Reign" feat. Scott Stallone - Official Video

Statik Selektah - "Bird's Eye View" feat. Raekwon, Joey Bada$$ & Black Thought

innie Paz "Gasmask"

Wu-Tang - Frozen ft. Killa Priest, Chris Rivers (Explicit) Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon

Gift of Gab (feat. R.A. The Rugged Man and A-F-R-O) - Freedom Form Flowing

Vinnie Paz - End of Days

WOMBAT - BLACK SHEEP

WOMBAT - when words fail, music speaks.

SOME MAINSTREAM TRACKS

Lil Peep - Save That Shit

Lil Peep - Star Shopping

XXXTENTACION - MOONLIGHT

XXXTENTACION - SAD!

BEBE - 6ix9ine Ft. Anuel AA (Prod. By Ronny J)

6IX9INE "Billy"

DRAM - Broccoli feat. Lil Yachty

XXXTENTACION & Lil Pump ft. Maluma & Swae Lee - "Arms Around You"

Last edited by Supsie; 12-14-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Unread 12-14-2018, 09:24 AM
lllllllllllll

Wu Tang underground?
Unread 12-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #2

lllllllllllll

Wu Tang underground?

Unread 12-14-2018, 09:40 AM
JayDiamondScarFace
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

that's some good stuff suspsie,yea cool stuff from the underground I also like drake from young money music group,underground king:
everyday im hustle'nGod Over Money$100onehunnid$KROWN{lilhommie}] talk the talk,&walk the walk,(Drake)talk it like eye walk it 100%REAL BIGgga,rich nigga SHITT;royalty rich nigga shit,(Ghana)& rich nigga shitt,$(100)$($)dollar after dollar,dollar sighns,"get your money baby"Elini,hood rich,rich nigga shitt{$dollar sighn}{GOD OVER MONEY}[cookies&cream-neoplaltin](chocolate-chip)(fudge swirl)($)
Unread 12-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

JayDiamondScarFace

Voted: 106 audio / 390 text
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

that's some good stuff suspsie,yea cool stuff from the underground I also like drake from young money music group,underground king:
everyday im hustle'nGod Over Money$100onehunnid$KROWN{lilhommie}] talk the talk,&walk the walk,(Drake)talk it like eye walk it 100%REAL BIGgga,rich nigga SHITT;royalty rich nigga shit,(Ghana)& rich nigga shitt,$(100)$($)dollar after dollar,dollar sighns,"get your money baby"Elini,hood rich,rich nigga shitt{$dollar sighn}{GOD OVER MONEY}[cookies&cream-neoplaltin](chocolate-chip)(fudge swirl)($)
Unread 12-14-2018, 10:43 AM
Supsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk View Post
Wu Tang underground?
Yes, they might be well known enough to be somewhat mainstream but they don't get radio play like the others and there style an sound is underground. Methodman considers himself underground in the track posted too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay diamond View Post
Thanks for sharing..

Last edited by Supsie; 12-14-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Unread 12-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

Supsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk View Post
Wu Tang underground?
Yes, they might be well known enough to be somewhat mainstream but they don't get radio play like the others and there style an sound is underground. Methodman considers himself underground in the track posted too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay diamond View Post
Thanks for sharing..

Last edited by Supsie; 12-14-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Unread 12-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supsie View Post

Thanks for sharing..

...Wu-Tang was played on the radio all the time in the 90's.
Unread 12-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Rant

Quote:

Thanks for sharing..

Unread 12-14-2018, 11:36 AM
Supsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rant View Post
Well, man there not anymore, not here anyway but yea sometimes underground gets on the radio, certain types once in a while plus that was the 90s when hip hop was kinda all like that to a degree.

Vinnie and R.A speaking about mumble rap.

Last edited by Supsie; 12-14-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Unread 12-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

Supsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rant View Post
Well, man there not anymore, not here anyway but yea sometimes underground gets on the radio, certain types once in a while plus that was the 90s when hip hop was kinda all like that to a degree.

Vinnie and R.A speaking about mumble rap.

Last edited by Supsie; 12-14-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Unread 12-14-2018, 11:58 AM
joan of arc

aesop rock > everyone else. lol

but on a real note, i used to fucking hate all mainstream, but there are some things i can appreciate. lil peep had shit lyrics and i hated a lot of his music, but now being asked to make beats like his i've had to listen to his shit non stop and it's slightly changed my perspective. i don't know if it's a strange case of audio-Stockholm syndrome (lol) but i've started to vibe with some particular tracks mostly this song i had never really heard "awful things" the chorus is very basic but hell man it works. lyrics for the reast kinda wack but i dig the beat and chorus. same kinda story for x i mean i was even against the dude for beating up a woman, (yes i know after his death the chick changed sides) but ever since i heard jacelyn flores i can't stop bumping it. i think the whole song is amazing.

i guess my point is that, the mainstream is something that's hard to comprehend. at what point does an underground cat become mainstream? lil peep and half these guys are soundcloud rappers. they have their own style, but people like x and peep where really on some new shit. can you really consider their music mainstream anyways? the mainstream is something that for me means "boring and tired" but i've learned to give more chances with all music ya know.

just want to make it clear that i think the underground will always, by nature, have the better music. just think of polar ice caps.
Unread 12-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #7

joan of arc

but on a real note, i used to fucking hate all mainstream, but there are some things i can appreciate. lil peep had shit lyrics and i hated a lot of his music, but now being asked to make beats like his i've had to listen to his shit non stop and it's slightly changed my perspective. i don't know if it's a strange case of audio-Stockholm syndrome (lol) but i've started to vibe with some particular tracks mostly this song i had never really heard "awful things" the chorus is very basic but hell man it works. lyrics for the reast kinda wack but i dig the beat and chorus. same kinda story for x i mean i was even against the dude for beating up a woman, (yes i know after his death the chick changed sides) but ever since i heard jacelyn flores i can't stop bumping it. i think the whole song is amazing.

i guess my point is that, the mainstream is something that's hard to comprehend. at what point does an underground cat become mainstream? lil peep and half these guys are soundcloud rappers. they have their own style, but people like x and peep where really on some new shit. can you really consider their music mainstream anyways? the mainstream is something that for me means "boring and tired" but i've learned to give more chances with all music ya know.

just want to make it clear that i think the underground will always, by nature, have the better music. just think of polar ice caps.

Unread 12-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Rant

Quote:
My fucking G-d, you're stupid.
Unread 12-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #8

Rant

Quote:
My fucking G-d, you're stupid.

Unread 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Saiyan

You'd classify XXXTENTACION as mainstream? I would say he may have achieved mainstream exposure but some could argue that was posthumously. About 90% of his career was underground-based. A lot radio stations and streaming services didn't support his music until he died, like Spotify.
Unread 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #9

Saiyan

You'd classify XXXTENTACION as mainstream? I would say he may have achieved mainstream exposure but some could argue that was posthumously. About 90% of his career was underground-based. A lot radio stations and streaming services didn't support his music until he died, like Spotify.

Unread 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Aggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain gutpunch View Post

I like this gut punch guy
Unread 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #10

Aggo