Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Nicholas
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtH View Post
If Nick was in charge, we'd all have 4 legs.
Not wrong there, Life would be SOOO much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agonize View Post
Things don't really adapt to their environment. Random mutations occur and sometimes those mutations are suited to the animals life, they thrive and those genes are passed along. Over long periods of time Darwinism kicks in and the animals with those mutations become the standard because they can eat the tall peaches or whatever.
Yeah but there are a few ways species evolve, that is one. But as I described it can be a gradual process too. An animal can gradually evolve for a certain feature, say a longer neck. Animals with longer necks have an advantage and over generation and generations the size of the neck increases.
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #31

Nicholas

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtH View Post
If Nick was in charge, we'd all have 4 legs.
Not wrong there, Life would be SOOO much easier.

Quote:
Things don't really adapt to their environment. Random mutations occur and sometimes those mutations are suited to the animals life, they thrive and those genes are passed along. Over long periods of time Darwinism kicks in and the animals with those mutations become the standard because they can eat the tall peaches or whatever.
Yeah but there are a few ways species evolve, that is one. But as I described it can be a gradual process too. An animal can gradually evolve for a certain feature, say a longer neck. Animals with longer necks have an advantage and over generation and generations the size of the neck increases.

Unread 08-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Aggo

^true, the longer neck was a mutation. That mutation allowed that individual to thrive and produce offspring that shared those genetics. Eventually the ones that didnt carry that gene die off because they are not suited to their environment. Evolution works one way. That way.
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #32

Aggo

^true, the longer neck was a mutation. That mutation allowed that individual to thrive and produce offspring that shared those genetics. Eventually the ones that didnt carry that gene die off because they are not suited to their environment. Evolution works one way. That way.

Unread 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Nicholas

Quote:
Hmmm I don't know, maybe I'm getting confused. I'm thinking of divergent, parallel etc. I have a few evolution books on my list of books to read. My evolution knowledge is a little sub-par, I did a unit at college on it a few years ago but it's clearly went in one ear and out the other.

Still wouldn't use the word practising lol
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #33

Nicholas

Quote:
Hmmm I don't know, maybe I'm getting confused. I'm thinking of divergent, parallel etc. I have a few evolution books on my list of books to read. My evolution knowledge is a little sub-par, I did a unit at college on it a few years ago but it's clearly went in one ear and out the other.

Still wouldn't use the word practising lol