Battle Rap and Freestyle Battles at Lets Beef

Start a battle

Vote on a battle to earn +1 credit!

2023 Grand Championship

Battle Feed
Flako Boom vs Sam E Scam
Style: Freestyle
4 Votes 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars
Jatho Sups vs yungcheefyungcheef is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row!
Style: Written
4 Votes 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars

[ more battles... ]

Go Back   Lets Beef - Battle Rap Forums > Battle Arena > General Talk
Register Articles FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Journals

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09-28-2018, 06:09 PM
lllllllllllll
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Fr though, who is U, Dao
Unread 09-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #31

lllllllllllll

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text

Fr though, who is U, Dao

Unread 09-28-2018, 06:16 PM
Erupt da Monsta Erupt da Monsta is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!Erupt da Monsta is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!Erupt da Monsta is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!
Mentioned: 1899 Post(s)
Tagged: 85 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
24 Won / 4 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.07/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.07/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
64 Won / 15 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 0 Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnEtH1CaL View Post
I love ya Bleu, but this is a load of bollocks. I get why you think this, because when you kind of started proper being a part of LB we were caught in the Murda Muzik bullshit spin of things. But guys like Manhattan and Lockhart were making their wordplay work before you came onto the scene (not that they were doing so as good) and that's just an example from the "new-gen" of guys. Wordplay was almost always one way until Rican and Pulse kind of started shifting it, and as far back as 2009 I used to post constantly in threads about Rican's misuse of wordplay. Here's a quick example:-

https://www.letsbeef.com/battle_deta...n=tb&id=359745

IAmFlow's vote comment. Kind of around 2011 is when it started to change. I'm not taking credit what so ever, but that's kind of why we made the crew. We wanted to kind of get everyone battling in a much cleaner way than all the bollocks of the time was. Eventually, the guys with the clean style outlasted the guys with the non-working wordplay style and it now seems to be the norm again.

Anyone before the Grizz/Dissizit/Rican/Godbody era made their wordplay work both ways.
If we want to be technical.... Everyone switched their style up after i made it apparent people were forcing bars and had to work both ways in Rupts Rap School. But to be fair. UA, Real Talk, Illimit all had clean styles.

Last edited by Erupt da Monsta; 09-28-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Unread 09-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #32

Erupt da Monsta Erupt da Monsta is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!Erupt da Monsta is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!Erupt da Monsta is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!
Estimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.83/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
24 Won / 4 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.07/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.07/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
64 Won / 15 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 0 Lost

Voted: 96 audio / 723 text
Mentioned: 1899 Post(s)
Tagged: 85 Thread(s)

Quote:
I love ya Bleu, but this is a load of bollocks. I get why you think this, because when you kind of started proper being a part of LB we were caught in the Murda Muzik bullshit spin of things. But guys like Manhattan and Lockhart were making their wordplay work before you came onto the scene (not that they were doing so as good) and that's just an example from the "new-gen" of guys. Wordplay was almost always one way until Rican and Pulse kind of started shifting it, and as far back as 2009 I used to post constantly in threads about Rican's misuse of wordplay. Here's a quick example:-

https://www.letsbeef.com/battle_deta...n=tb&id=359745

IAmFlow's vote comment. Kind of around 2011 is when it started to change. I'm not taking credit what so ever, but that's kind of why we made the crew. We wanted to kind of get everyone battling in a much cleaner way than all the bollocks of the time was. Eventually, the guys with the clean style outlasted the guys with the non-working wordplay style and it now seems to be the norm again.

Anyone before the Grizz/Dissizit/Rican/Godbody era made their wordplay work both ways.
If we want to be technical.... Everyone switched their style up after i made it apparent people were forcing bars and had to work both ways in Rupts Rap School. But to be fair. UA, Real Talk, Illimit all had clean styles.

Last edited by Erupt da Monsta; 09-28-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Unread 09-28-2018, 06:23 PM
lllllllllllll

I invented capping your rhymes in a text battle.
Unread 09-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #33

lllllllllllll

I invented capping your rhymes in a text battle.

Unread 09-28-2018, 06:26 PM
KG The Prince
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 43 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.46/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
218 Won / 94 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
4 Won / 3 Lost

Someone should make an "I invented thread"

Unread 09-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #34

KG The Prince
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.46/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.46/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
218 Won / 94 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
4 Won / 3 Lost

Voted: 106 audio / 857 text
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 43 Thread(s)

Someone should make an "I invented thread"

Unread 09-28-2018, 06:40 PM
EtH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
Other people did it here and there probably out of luck / coincidence. Those same people you say made their wordplay work both ways mostly had wordplay that DIDN'T work both ways so your point is invalid. I was the first to consistently make wordplay work both ways and set the standard / make it the norm. That can't be debated. I witnessed it / did it myself. Before me it was a whole lot of forced shit and no one had that standard for wordplay when they were judging / writing. Since my run you saw wayyy more focus / judgement / mention of wordplay working both ways because I pushed the narrative with my writing / critique / discussion and people caught on to an extent. Back in the day they let the most forced wordplay slide.. they probably didn't even have the term of wordplay working both ways.

I'd like to see you find someone other than me who consistently made their wordplay work both ways and pushed the narrative until it became the standard.

EDIT: I don't even see any wordplay in that battle. I'm talking oronyms / homophones at least.
I mean...I'm one of them. Even though there's probably an example or two in the snipes on this account, probably 99.9% of them worked both ways even back in like 2012 when I was using this account for sniping.

It was a common thing, but a while before you came it sort of shifted away. It was more simplistic back in the day for sure so it was a little bit easier and I won't debate that you took the concept and ran a mile with it. Huey J brought something to the site where people used less "like" concepts and it takes a lot more skill to execute those, which is more to your side of things, but even if someone's using "like" the wordplay still works both ways.

There's probably plenty of people who remember me having many bitch fits in the forums about wordplay having to work both ways. @Student might remember my back and fourths with Pulse and Rican. The only way it's possible for me to have started bitching about it is for it not to have been the norm previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erupt View Post
This would be true if this wasn't the era when everyone was fucking horrendous with wordplay haha. As you say though, there was an era of guys who all had shit working both ways. Actually I'll concede a bit and say you were there with Huey kind of pushing everyone to stop using the basic simile set up, and Bleu has managed to master that sort of style and keep it clean. You guys are more barrier pushers. When someone innovates a new thing individually, it's evident. Conceited, NawkOut and UNKNOWN ARTIST for example.
Unread 09-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #35

EtH

Quote:
Other people did it here and there probably out of luck / coincidence. Those same people you say made their wordplay work both ways mostly had wordplay that DIDN'T work both ways so your point is invalid. I was the first to consistently make wordplay work both ways and set the standard / make it the norm. That can't be debated. I witnessed it / did it myself. Before me it was a whole lot of forced shit and no one had that standard for wordplay when they were judging / writing. Since my run you saw wayyy more focus / judgement / mention of wordplay working both ways because I pushed the narrative with my writing / critique / discussion and people caught on to an extent. Back in the day they let the most forced wordplay slide.. they probably didn't even have the term of wordplay working both ways.

I'd like to see you find someone other than me who consistently made their wordplay work both ways and pushed the narrative until it became the standard.

EDIT: I don't even see any wordplay in that battle. I'm talking oronyms / homophones at least.
I mean...I'm one of them. Even though there's probably an example or two in the snipes on this account, probably 99.9% of them worked both ways even back in like 2012 when I was using this account for sniping.

It was a common thing, but a while before you came it sort of shifted away. It was more simplistic back in the day for sure so it was a little bit easier and I won't debate that you took the concept and ran a mile with it. Huey J brought something to the site where people used less "like" concepts and it takes a lot more skill to execute those, which is more to your side of things, but even if someone's using "like" the wordplay still works both ways.

There's probably plenty of people who remember me having many bitch fits in the forums about wordplay having to work both ways. @Student might remember my back and fourths with Pulse and Rican. The only way it's possible for me to have started bitching about it is for it not to have been the norm previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erupt View Post
This would be true if this wasn't the era when everyone was fucking horrendous with wordplay haha. As you say though, there was an era of guys who all had shit working both ways. Actually I'll concede a bit and say you were there with Huey kind of pushing everyone to stop using the basic simile set up, and Bleu has managed to master that sort of style and keep it clean. You guys are more barrier pushers. When someone innovates a new thing individually, it's evident. Conceited, NawkOut and UNKNOWN ARTIST for example.

Unread 09-28-2018, 07:09 PM
Bleu

Quote:

I've seen clean stuff from those names and I've also seen sloppy / forced wordplay from those names. Pick me out like 5 of your battles with a decent chunk of wordplay if you're one of those people who were consistently doing it
Unread 09-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #36

Bleu

Quote:

I've seen clean stuff from those names and I've also seen sloppy / forced wordplay from those names. Pick me out like 5 of your battles with a decent chunk of wordplay if you're one of those people who were consistently doing it

Unread 09-28-2018, 07:31 PM
EtH

Quote:
I was writing shit down but I saw you specifically mentioned homophone style. I was never a big fan of it so I stopped using that back in like 2009. I don't like having to explain to the readers what the other word is so I cut it out. Even when I had good verses saved I'd probably have very few examples of that. Tbh most styles, even including yours, mostly use idioms for wordplay so I'm not too pushed on finding homophone wordplay that works.
Unread 09-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #37

EtH

Quote:
I was writing shit down but I saw you specifically mentioned homophone style. I was never a big fan of it so I stopped using that back in like 2009. I don't like having to explain to the readers what the other word is so I cut it out. Even when I had good verses saved I'd probably have very few examples of that. Tbh most styles, even including yours, mostly use idioms for wordplay so I'm not too pushed on finding homophone wordplay that works.

Unread 09-29-2018, 12:15 AM
Bleu

Quote:
That's not wordplay to me. Those are just turn of phrase flips. Wordplay is oronyms / homophones where wording things both ways becomes tricky.
Unread 09-29-2018, 12:15 AM   #38

Bleu

Quote:
That's not wordplay to me. Those are just turn of phrase flips. Wordplay is oronyms / homophones where wording things both ways becomes tricky.

Unread 09-29-2018, 06:02 AM
Supsie

Good invention @Punk

Btw I think I know who dao but I forgot the name.. it's some black dude.. hmm..
Unread 09-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #39

Supsie

Good invention @Punk

Btw I think I know who dao but I forgot the name.. it's some black dude.. hmm..

Unread 09-29-2018, 09:02 AM
EtH

Quote:
It's definitely a bit trickier, and it's much more of a skill now because so many of the earlier things had been done. But there were plenty of people easily able to make a defeat wordplay work both ways back then. It got diluted by a lot of mid tier guys early because guys like NawkOut and Jacoby had 1000 wordplays per line and didn't often work both ways with it so that spread around, but if guys like UA, RT, Illy, Notch etc. were using that form of wordplay, a lot of the time it was something simple they could delivery easily.

I actually really dislike the style anyways. I feel the punches rarely resonate with the audience on first hit. I like to think of text battling like live battling and 90% of homophones wouldn't resonate at the resolve of the punch. People are more impressed when they read backwards to the line than they were when the punch landed first.
Unread 09-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #40

EtH

Quote:
It's definitely a bit trickier, and it's much more of a skill now because so many of the earlier things had been done. But there were plenty of people easily able to make a defeat wordplay work both ways back then. It got diluted by a lot of mid tier guys early because guys like NawkOut and Jacoby had 1000 wordplays per line and didn't often work both ways with it so that spread around, but if guys like UA, RT, Illy, Notch etc. were using that form of wordplay, a lot of the time it was something simple they could delivery easily.

I actually really dislike the style anyways. I feel the punches rarely resonate with the audience on first hit. I like to think of text battling like live battling and 90% of homophones wouldn't resonate at the resolve of the punch. People are more impressed when they read backwards to the line than they were when the punch landed first.

Tags
brainfartces