Style: Freestyle
0 Votes No Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating Yet
Flako Boom vs Bonita Bonfire
0 Votes No Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating Yet
Bonita Bonfire vs FightsAndRap...
Style: Written
1 Vote 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars
yungcheefyungcheef is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row! vs RhymeSmokeRhymeSmoke is on FIRE! 10+ wins in a row!RhymeSmoke is on FIRE! 10+ wins in a row!
1 Vote 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars

[ more battles... ]

Go Back   Lets Beef - Battle Rap Forums > Battle Arena > Text Arena

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04-07-2014, 04:58 AM
Mentioned: 3426 Post(s)
Tagged: 69 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
32 Won / 5 Lost
Exclusive Audio Record
3 Won / 1 Lost

Estimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.37/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
187 Won / 34 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
11 Won / 5 Lost
Question RULE's The Basics Series: Flow

RULE's The Basics Series: Flow

Ok guys, heres a thread to explain the basics of how to have solid flow and multis in a text battle.

Step One: Syllable Count

Its strange how many established guys still struggle to get this most fundamental element of battling right.

One of the absolute basics that people must get right is having the correct syllable count in there verses. A broken multi-count will ruin the flow and immediately weaken your verse.

An example of a broken multi set:

I'm 'Packin the metal' like a QUARTER ROLL and it's ORDERED TO BLOW when they ''hunt down: coyote'' like BORDER PATROL!!

You'll notice the flow is off in this bar, the reason being that the first multi set (Quarter Roll) has one syllable less than the others which have four. Whereas there are ways to change syllable lengths and keep the flow going, until you reach a skill level where you are able to do so, i'd recommend you make sure all multi sets in the same bar have the same amount of syllables in it.

Now let me show you the difference it makes when a broken multi is fixed.

Drive-by and when i CORNER THE ROAD it's ORDERED TO BLOW when i ''hunt down: coyote'' like BORDER PATROL!!

Now that the first multi set has four syllables like the rest, the flow is instantly improved. simple things like that make a massive difference.

Step Two: Length Between Multis

Another common mistake that can hurt the flow of a verse is having overly long gaps inbetween the main multi sets. This is another element alot of people can trip up in, let me demonstrate how this can effect a verse.

Example of a overly long bar:

this guy is wack as hell, he's the sites most over-rated by FAR, THIS AINT HATE But im serious son no way are ya BARS FRICKIN GREAT! I mean only when he's using the "Keyboard" would this dude ever possibly "Become" ah STAR 'SHIFTING' EIGHT!!! (Shift & 8 = *)

All that uncapped section stretches the flow to the point that the bars loses all poetic value.

Now lets cut down the "filler" and tighten up the flow:

Dude overrated by FAR, THIS AINT HATE but think ya BARS FRIGGIN GREAT??? Son the "keyboard" only time you "become" a STAR 'SHIFTING' EIGHT!!! (Shift & 8 = *)

Cutting down all unnessicary filler makes the bar flow much better, and also frees up space for you to pack more impact instead of just filling the box with lines that dont add to your verse.

Step Three: Inner Multis

One other way to improve the flow on your verses is to incorporate inner multis inbetween your main ones. This is a good tool to use when you need to have longer builds to explain your bar.

My crew's a CRIMINAL LOT and trust me you dont wanna feel a PHYSICAL SHOT so you better duck cuz i got "Dots Flashin" like DIGITAL CLOCKS!!!

The bar is ok in that form, flows a bit stretched, but with inner multis we can not only improve the flow but make the punchline more conceptually connected too.

Look dude my crews a CRIMINAL LOT when that llama-peels you gonna-feel a PHYSICAL SHOT n y'all see "ock dashin" when "Dots Flashin" like DIGITAL CLOCKS!!!

A few changes here makes the flow of the bar much better, adding the word "dude" before the first multi set to rhyme with "crews" is a minor change but makes the opening soo much smoother. After the first multi set ive added an inner multi "llama peels ... gonna feel" to bridge the gap inbetween multi sets. And did the same again inbetween the second and last multis by rhyming "ock dashin" and "dots flashin". Now while this method does improve the flow, we can got even further by making ALL the inner multis the same scheme.

Ya "squad gassin" they actin like CRIMINALS DAWG when "y'all ass n start gaspin" from PHYSICAL SHOTS! see "ock dash when" ... "Dots Flashin" like DIGITAL CLOCKS!!!

By keeping the inner multis the same scheme, it makes the reader bounce inbetween the two schemes smoothly and makes the flow even better. You have to treat the inner multis with the same respect you treat the main ones tho. Notice the syllable count inbetween inner multis is exactly the same? In this occasion ive left no syllables inbetween the inner multis. SQUAD GASSIN, THEY ACTIN... Y'ALL ASS N, START GASPIN... OCK DASH WHEN, DOTS FLASHIN... If you wanna add a syllable inbetween multis, make sure you add the same amount to all.

REMEMBER that this is MERELY the easiest and quickest ways to improve your basic flow in a battle verse. Flow is one of the more complex elements of text battling with many different skills and styles you can use to elevate to even higher levels of battling.

1/
Unread 04-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #1

RULE RULE is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!RULE is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!RULE is on FIRE! 15+ wins in a row!
Estimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.32/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
32 Won / 5 Lost
Exclusive Audio Record
3 Won / 1 Lost

Estimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.32/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.37/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
187 Won / 34 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
11 Won / 5 Lost

Voted: 241 audio / 1977 text
Mentioned: 3426 Post(s)
Tagged: 69 Thread(s)

Question RULE's The Basics Series: Flow

RULE's The Basics Series: Flow

Ok guys, heres a thread to explain the basics of how to have solid flow and multis in a text battle.

Step One: Syllable Count

Its strange how many established guys still struggle to get this most fundamental element of battling right.

One of the absolute basics that people must get right is having the correct syllable count in there verses. A broken multi-count will ruin the flow and immediately weaken your verse.

An example of a broken multi set:

I'm 'Packin the metal' like a QUARTER ROLL and it's ORDERED TO BLOW when they ''hunt down: coyote'' like BORDER PATROL!!

You'll notice the flow is off in this bar, the reason being that the first multi set (Quarter Roll) has one syllable less than the others which have four. Whereas there are ways to change syllable lengths and keep the flow going, until you reach a skill level where you are able to do so, i'd recommend you make sure all multi sets in the same bar have the same amount of syllables in it.

Now let me show you the difference it makes when a broken multi is fixed.

Drive-by and when i CORNER THE ROAD it's ORDERED TO BLOW when i ''hunt down: coyote'' like BORDER PATROL!!

Now that the first multi set has four syllables like the rest, the flow is instantly improved. simple things like that make a massive difference.

Step Two: Length Between Multis

Another common mistake that can hurt the flow of a verse is having overly long gaps inbetween the main multi sets. This is another element alot of people can trip up in, let me demonstrate how this can effect a verse.

Example of a overly long bar:

this guy is wack as hell, he's the sites most over-rated by FAR, THIS AINT HATE But im serious son no way are ya BARS FRICKIN GREAT! I mean only when he's using the "Keyboard" would this dude ever possibly "Become" ah STAR 'SHIFTING' EIGHT!!! (Shift & 8 = *)

All that uncapped section stretches the flow to the point that the bars loses all poetic value.

Now lets cut down the "filler" and tighten up the flow:

Dude overrated by FAR, THIS AINT HATE but think ya BARS FRIGGIN GREAT??? Son the "keyboard" only time you "become" a STAR 'SHIFTING' EIGHT!!! (Shift & 8 = *)

Cutting down all unnessicary filler makes the bar flow much better, and also frees up space for you to pack more impact instead of just filling the box with lines that dont add to your verse.

Step Three: Inner Multis

One other way to improve the flow on your verses is to incorporate inner multis inbetween your main ones. This is a good tool to use when you need to have longer builds to explain your bar.

My crew's a CRIMINAL LOT and trust me you dont wanna feel a PHYSICAL SHOT so you better duck cuz i got "Dots Flashin" like DIGITAL CLOCKS!!!

The bar is ok in that form, flows a bit stretched, but with inner multis we can not only improve the flow but make the punchline more conceptually connected too.

Look dude my crews a CRIMINAL LOT when that llama-peels you gonna-feel a PHYSICAL SHOT n y'all see "ock dashin" when "Dots Flashin" like DIGITAL CLOCKS!!!

A few changes here makes the flow of the bar much better, adding the word "dude" before the first multi set to rhyme with "crews" is a minor change but makes the opening soo much smoother. After the first multi set ive added an inner multi "llama peels ... gonna feel" to bridge the gap inbetween multi sets. And did the same again inbetween the second and last multis by rhyming "ock dashin" and "dots flashin". Now while this method does improve the flow, we can got even further by making ALL the inner multis the same scheme.

Ya "squad gassin" they actin like CRIMINALS DAWG when "y'all ass n start gaspin" from PHYSICAL SHOTS! see "ock dash when" ... "Dots Flashin" like DIGITAL CLOCKS!!!

By keeping the inner multis the same scheme, it makes the reader bounce inbetween the two schemes smoothly and makes the flow even better. You have to treat the inner multis with the same respect you treat the main ones tho. Notice the syllable count inbetween inner multis is exactly the same? In this occasion ive left no syllables inbetween the inner multis. SQUAD GASSIN, THEY ACTIN... Y'ALL ASS N, START GASPIN... OCK DASH WHEN, DOTS FLASHIN... If you wanna add a syllable inbetween multis, make sure you add the same amount to all.

REMEMBER that this is MERELY the easiest and quickest ways to improve your basic flow in a battle verse. Flow is one of the more complex elements of text battling with many different skills and styles you can use to elevate to even higher levels of battling.

1/
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Phracture
Mentioned: 1417 Post(s)
Tagged: 79 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.94/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.94/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.94/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
165 Won / 44 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 1 Lost

Dope ...
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

Phracture
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.94/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.94/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.94/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
165 Won / 44 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 1 Lost

Voted: 48 audio / 484 text
Mentioned: 1417 Post(s)
Tagged: 79 Thread(s)

Dope ...
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:38 PM
CakedOut
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Askari & Mayneak fathered this.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

CakedOut

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text

Askari & Mayneak fathered this.

Unread 04-07-2014, 11:32 PM
ET the Refugee
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.71/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
89 Won / 54 Lost

@RULE Good read on both of those threads. It's funny you say flow is the most complex thing and that's what I'm best at. My punchlines need more work than my flow so i guess I'm working backwards.
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #4

ET the Refugee
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.71/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
89 Won / 54 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 355 text
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

@RULE Good read on both of those threads. It's funny you say flow is the most complex thing and that's what I'm best at. My punchlines need more work than my flow so i guess I'm working backwards.
Unread 04-09-2014, 05:19 AM
AmBitiousFlow
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.96/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
127 Won / 56 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 1 Lost

Did somebody say flow? @RULE
Unread 04-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #5

AmBitiousFlow
Estimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.96/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.96/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
127 Won / 56 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 1 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 305 text
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)

Did somebody say flow? @RULE
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM
COLT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
34 Won / 38 Lost

dope...
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

COLT
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.87/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
34 Won / 38 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 166 text
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

dope...
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Trademark Trademark is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row!
Basic Member
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Trademark
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.06/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.06/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
9 Won / 0 Lost

This is good for text, really doesn't apply to audio as no one sits and counts syllables while they listen to music, at least I don't, lol.

@RULE - for further break down, structuring and wording the bar helps flow as well. Try not to sound so redundant as the example you used.

Quote:
Notice the multiple "When I" that are in the bar... I also notice when screening some verses, the OVER USAGE of the word "LIKE" - Kind of throws me off and bores me with the over usage of similes some writers use. Rather then using a simile, get a little more creative and convert those simile's in to a dope metaphor or something. Just my 2 cents, but props Rule, as I know this took time to type up and I'm sure newer cats that seek assistance for elevation will appreciate this, bro.
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #7

Basic Member
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.06/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.06/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
9 Won / 0 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 94 text

This is good for text, really doesn't apply to audio as no one sits and counts syllables while they listen to music, at least I don't, lol.

@RULE - for further break down, structuring and wording the bar helps flow as well. Try not to sound so redundant as the example you used.

Quote:
Notice the multiple "When I" that are in the bar... I also notice when screening some verses, the OVER USAGE of the word "LIKE" - Kind of throws me off and bores me with the over usage of similes some writers use. Rather then using a simile, get a little more creative and convert those simile's in to a dope metaphor or something. Just my 2 cents, but props Rule, as I know this took time to type up and I'm sure newer cats that seek assistance for elevation will appreciate this, bro.
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Rican

yeah, that's actually my line. and im guilty of that usage

@Trademark
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #8

Rican

yeah, that's actually my line. and im guilty of that usage

@Trademark

Unread 05-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Basic Member
Ranked Text Record
9 Won / 0 Lost

Wasn't sure who's line as well as wasn't trying to discredit the bar. Just trying to help out for those looking to elevate, is all. But it's common, I've noticed when screening some of the battles, lol.
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #9

Basic Member
Ranked Text Record
9 Won / 0 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 94 text

Wasn't sure who's line as well as wasn't trying to discredit the bar. Just trying to help out for those looking to elevate, is all. But it's common, I've noticed when screening some of the battles, lol.
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Rican

i been workin on it tho.
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #10

Rican

i been workin on it tho.

Display