Register Articles FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Journals

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Student
LB Historian
Mentioned: 2492 Post(s)
Tagged: 46 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
97 Won / 75 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 2 Lost
Post How To: Start A Text Battle

Hello New Or Fellow LetsBeef Emcees!, Here Are Simple Instructions On How To Start A LetsBeef.com Text Battle:

First, You Need To Hover Over This Icon:
(This Icon Is In The Nav Bar So It Will Be Viewable From Wherever You Are On LetsBeef.com)
Once You Have Hovered Over It, This Menu Will Drop-Down:
Click On "Start Text Battle" And You Will Be Sent To The Following Screen:
From Here You Pick Either The Basic Or Exclusive Arena Which You Will Be Battling In.
[IMG][/IMG]
(The Basic Arena Is Where Points Count For Monthly Prizes And If It's Tournament Qualifying Month You Would Need To Be In The Top 64 Basic Arena To Enter, Most Of The Time.)
(The Exclusive Arena Is For The Elite LetsBeef.com Members Who Have Purchased Exclusive Membership Here And You Battle Monthly For Cash Prizes, Receive More Promotion On Your Battles, And Best Of All Battle With The Advanced Voting System Where You Are Ranked Automatically For Different Battling Skills Which They Are Then Displayed On Your Own Emcee Profile.)
Next You Decide On Either An Open Or Closed Battle:
[IMG][/IMG]
Open Battles Are Posted In The Open Battles Section Here And Anyone Battling In The Basic Arena Can Reply To Your Battle.
A Closed Battle Is When You Decide To Battle Someone Personally So You Type Their Name Into The Box And A Drop-Down List Of Names Should Drop Down Until You Pick Your Opponent.
After That You Choose How Many Bars You Want To Battle With:
[IMG][/IMG]
Your Options Are:
8 Lines (4 Bars) - These Are The Most Common.
16 Lines (8 Bars)
32 Lines (16 Bars)
64 Lines (32 Bars) - These Are The Least Common And I Highly Advise You NOT To Start A 64 Unless You Send It Closed Because Most Of The Time Your Opponent Will Not Respond With A Full 64 And Your Hard Work Will Not Be As Seen.
Then What Text Skills You Want To Be Rated With:
[IMG][/IMG]
They Are:
Wordplay
An instance of wordplay in rap is when words signify two or more different things that make sense in the context of the line. Wordplay is literally just playing with meanings of words.
Example:
Revive or ruin, my theories of mics,
Sony or Aiwa, black or white, I fit in all stereotypes

Vocabulary
If a lyricist is a painter, then vocabulary is his paint. Without words, a rapper is no different than a mime: all he’s got left are his hand gestures. Everyone has two vocabularies: a bank of words that they feel comfortable using, and a bank of words that they know the meaning of but cant necessarily use. It is important to not just use large words, but words that work well together and add depth and clarify to your lines.
Example:
A top-notch scholar with honors I'm so gifted
Live as the most vicious, honest and prolific

Metaphors
Here’s how the American Heritage Dictionary defines it:
A figure of speech in which a word or phrase hat ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, this making an implicit comparison, as in “ a sea of trouble” or “all the world’s a stage” (Shakespeare)
Example:
Me without a mic is like a beat without a snare…
I’m sweet like licorice, dangerous like syphilis

Lauryn Hill on "How many Mics"

Punchlines
Punches are any phrases in your verse that diss your opponent. Punchlines are lines that contain punches. Punches can be general, broad attacks ("No skill, lil boy, you totally whack") or personal ("read my mind, did ur mama cut your hair, or is your barber blind?"). But they should always hit hard.
Examples:
You couldn’t hit me if this was Blackjack and you was the dealer
You don’t sand a chance in this race like Hillary,
Dr. Death you’re not a doctor cuz you suck at delivery

Multies
Multi is short for “multi-syllable rhyme”. Multies are phrases in which more than one syllable rhymes. Multies can be double, triple and quadruple (etc.)

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti
He’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgetting

Eminem on “Lose Yourself”
*On LetsBeef.com Emcee's Typically CAP Their Rhymes To Stand Out The Multi's Since We Can't Bold Our Verses. Also, We Use Quotation Marks " " To Symbolize A Reference Rhyme Of The Punchline/Ending Rhyme.
You Would Click On This:
[IMG][/IMG]
Next To The Categories For These Explanations When You Are About To Battle.

Once You Have All This Information Filled Out, Your Ready To Start A Battle!
So Click On "Start The Battle" Like So:
[IMG][/IMG]

You Wil Then Be Taken To This Screen:
[IMG][/IMG]
Once Your Here Just Fill Out Your Verse And Make Sure The Current Number Of Lines Matches The Maximum Number Of Lines Before You Hit The Submit Button Like This:

After That Your Done! This Screen Will Pop Up:
[IMG][/IMG]
This Means Your Battle Was Accepted And Will Then Show Up Under Open Battles, If You Selected Open Battles Like This:
[IMG][/IMG]

And This Is How Your Open Battle Will Look Like To An Opponent:
[IMG][/IMG]

That's All Folks!, If You Have Any Other Questions Make Sure To Hit A Moderator Up (Their Names Are In Green Or An Admin, Their Names Are In Red.
-Student
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #1

Student
LB Historian
Estimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.63/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 6.91/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
97 Won / 75 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 2 Lost

Voted: 98 audio / 587 text

Post How To: Start A Text Battle

Hello New Or Fellow LetsBeef Emcees!, Here Are Simple Instructions On How To Start A LetsBeef.com Text Battle:

First, You Need To Hover Over This Icon:
(This Icon Is In The Nav Bar So It Will Be Viewable From Wherever You Are On LetsBeef.com)
Once You Have Hovered Over It, This Menu Will Drop-Down:
Click On "Start Text Battle" And You Will Be Sent To The Following Screen:
From Here You Pick Either The Basic Or Exclusive Arena Which You Will Be Battling In.
[IMG][/IMG]
(The Basic Arena Is Where Points Count For Monthly Prizes And If It's Tournament Qualifying Month You Would Need To Be In The Top 64 Basic Arena To Enter, Most Of The Time.)
(The Exclusive Arena Is For The Elite LetsBeef.com Members Who Have Purchased Exclusive Membership Here And You Battle Monthly For Cash Prizes, Receive More Promotion On Your Battles, And Best Of All Battle With The Advanced Voting System Where You Are Ranked Automatically For Different Battling Skills Which They Are Then Displayed On Your Own Emcee Profile.)
Next You Decide On Either An Open Or Closed Battle:
[IMG][/IMG]
Open Battles Are Posted In The Open Battles Section Here And Anyone Battling In The Basic Arena Can Reply To Your Battle.
A Closed Battle Is When You Decide To Battle Someone Personally So You Type Their Name Into The Box And A Drop-Down List Of Names Should Drop Down Until You Pick Your Opponent.
After That You Choose How Many Bars You Want To Battle With:
[IMG][/IMG]
Your Options Are:
8 Lines (4 Bars) - These Are The Most Common.
16 Lines (8 Bars)
32 Lines (16 Bars)
64 Lines (32 Bars) - These Are The Least Common And I Highly Advise You NOT To Start A 64 Unless You Send It Closed Because Most Of The Time Your Opponent Will Not Respond With A Full 64 And Your Hard Work Will Not Be As Seen.
Then What Text Skills You Want To Be Rated With:
[IMG][/IMG]
They Are:
Wordplay
An instance of wordplay in rap is when words signify two or more different things that make sense in the context of the line. Wordplay is literally just playing with meanings of words.
Example:
Revive or ruin, my theories of mics,
Sony or Aiwa, black or white, I fit in all stereotypes

Vocabulary
If a lyricist is a painter, then vocabulary is his paint. Without words, a rapper is no different than a mime: all he’s got left are his hand gestures. Everyone has two vocabularies: a bank of words that they feel comfortable using, and a bank of words that they know the meaning of but cant necessarily use. It is important to not just use large words, but words that work well together and add depth and clarify to your lines.
Example:
A top-notch scholar with honors I'm so gifted
Live as the most vicious, honest and prolific

Metaphors
Here’s how the American Heritage Dictionary defines it:
A figure of speech in which a word or phrase hat ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, this making an implicit comparison, as in “ a sea of trouble” or “all the world’s a stage” (Shakespeare)
Example:
Me without a mic is like a beat without a snare…
I’m sweet like licorice, dangerous like syphilis

Lauryn Hill on "How many Mics"

Punchlines
Punches are any phrases in your verse that diss your opponent. Punchlines are lines that contain punches. Punches can be general, broad attacks ("No skill, lil boy, you totally whack") or personal ("read my mind, did ur mama cut your hair, or is your barber blind?"). But they should always hit hard.
Examples:
You couldn’t hit me if this was Blackjack and you was the dealer
You don’t sand a chance in this race like Hillary,
Dr. Death you’re not a doctor cuz you suck at delivery

Multies
Multi is short for “multi-syllable rhyme”. Multies are phrases in which more than one syllable rhymes. Multies can be double, triple and quadruple (etc.)

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti
He’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgetting

*On LetsBeef.com Emcee's Typically CAP Their Rhymes To Stand Out The Multi's Since We Can't Bold Our Verses. Also, We Use Quotation Marks " " To Symbolize A Reference Rhyme Of The Punchline/Ending Rhyme.
You Would Click On This:
[IMG][/IMG]
Next To The Categories For These Explanations When You Are About To Battle.

Once You Have All This Information Filled Out, Your Ready To Start A Battle!
So Click On "Start The Battle" Like So:
[IMG][/IMG]

You Wil Then Be Taken To This Screen:
[IMG][/IMG]
Once Your Here Just Fill Out Your Verse And Make Sure The Current Number Of Lines Matches The Maximum Number Of Lines Before You Hit The Submit Button Like This:

After That Your Done! This Screen Will Pop Up:
[IMG][/IMG]
This Means Your Battle Was Accepted And Will Then Show Up Under Open Battles, If You Selected Open Battles Like This:
[IMG][/IMG]

And This Is How Your Open Battle Will Look Like To An Opponent:
[IMG][/IMG]

That's All Folks!, If You Have Any Other Questions Make Sure To Hit A Moderator Up (Their Names Are In Green Or An Admin, Their Names Are In Red.
-Student
Unread 10-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Mindless Mindless is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row!
Hall Of Fame Staff
HEBREW BANHAMMER
Mentioned: 713 Post(s)
Tagged: 56 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
3 Won / 1 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.84/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.84/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.84/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
34 Won / 6 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 1 Lost

I thought you put this in the F.A.Q. already?
Unread 10-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #2

Mindless Mindless is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row!
Hall Of Fame Staff
HEBREW BANHAMMER
Estimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 5.83/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
3 Won / 1 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.83/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.84/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.84/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.84/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
34 Won / 6 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
1 Won / 1 Lost

Voted: 95 audio / 718 text
Mentioned: 713 Post(s)
Tagged: 56 Thread(s)

I thought you put this in the F.A.Q. already?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Just C
Mentioned: 616 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
62 Won / 1 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.95/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.95/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.95/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
75 Won / 24 Lost

"Hello New Or Fellow LetsBeef Emcees!, Here Are Simple"

10 minutes of scrolling down later.........

This shit is not simple by any stretch of the imagination

I'm staff and have been dropping text battles for years and even I was bored/CONFUSED

Somebody needs a plan b

And whats with the

Bullshit?

It's irrelivant and completely unnecessary

Last edited by Just C; 10-30-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #3

Just C
Estimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 8.72/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
62 Won / 1 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 8.72/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.95/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.95/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.95/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
75 Won / 24 Lost

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Mentioned: 616 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)

"Hello New Or Fellow LetsBeef Emcees!, Here Are Simple"

10 minutes of scrolling down later.........

This shit is not simple by any stretch of the imagination

I'm staff and have been dropping text battles for years and even I was bored/CONFUSED

Somebody needs a plan b

And whats with the

Bullshit?

It's irrelivant and completely unnecessary

Last edited by Just C; 10-30-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Student
LB Historian
Ranked Text Record
97 Won / 75 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 2 Lost

@Mindless Nah, Not That I Remember.
@JusT C Your Right, A Video Would Be A BILLION Times Better, But Pugz Asked Me If I Could Make This So I Did The Best I Could. The Eminen Thing Is In The Text Battles Lol Mr.I'veBeenDoingTextBattlesForYears & This Should Have Pictures (More) But I Personally Can't Put More.
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #4

Student
LB Historian
Ranked Text Record
97 Won / 75 Lost
Exclusive Text Record
6 Won / 2 Lost

Voted: 98 audio / 587 text

@Mindless Nah, Not That I Remember.
@JusT C Your Right, A Video Would Be A BILLION Times Better, But Pugz Asked Me If I Could Make This So I Did The Best I Could. The Eminen Thing Is In The Text Battles Lol Mr.I'veBeenDoingTextBattlesForYears & This Should Have Pictures (More) But I Personally Can't Put More.

Tags
instructions, letsbeef.com, tutorial