Style: Freestyle
0 Votes No Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating Yet
Flako Boom vs Bonita Bonfire
0 Votes No Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating YetNo Rating Yet
Bonita Bonfire vs FightsAndRap...
Style: Written
1 Vote 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars
yungcheefyungcheef is on FIRE! 5+ wins in a row! vs RhymeSmokeRhymeSmoke is on FIRE! 10+ wins in a row!RhymeSmoke is on FIRE! 10+ wins in a row!
1 Vote 4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars4.75 stars

[ more battles... ]

Go Back   Lets Beef - Battle Rap Forums > Battle Arena > General Talk

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07-09-2019, 04:10 PM
Prodi G
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
23 Won / 9 Lost
Exclamation IMPORTANT: Cyphers/Topicals

Cyphers

Providing the fact most of you have been on this site for nearly a year, you should all know what the Cypher section is. If you don’t, here is a little explanation. The cypher section is the only place on the site where you can submit your poetry/rap, especially if you don’t have a mic or beat to turn it into a track (specifically text cyphers). This section of the site is the most neglected and buttfucked section of the site, as it is currently overloaded by people posting strings of rhyming words, and others posting random shit. The only saving grace of the cyphers section currently (that I’ve seen so far), is @BURDENS , he is the only one who consistently drops cyphers that are of a high quality, and uses storytelling, descriptive writing, poetic tools, and creative concepts to create a worthwhile reading experience. Now there are two types of legendary cypher writers on letsbeef, @BURDENS , and @DaDDiO . DaDDiO is another important figure on the cypher sections, as he is able to string together a 64 line cypher using a long scheme of multi’s. Both of these people are severely underrated on the site, and usually aren’t considered when talking about greats, why? The answer is simple, the cypher section is neglected. I rarely see anyone drop a cypher that isn’t just filler or off the top of their heads. I rarely see any of the people at the top of the battler leaderboard dropping a cypher. I rarely see a cypher that doesn’t take a few months if not years to get just above 10 votes. I rarely see any forums talking about cyphers. I rarely see any tournaments about cyphers. I rarely see a good cypher that gets more than a few votes. I rarely see different people other than the few who do vote on cyphers, to even look at the cyphers section.

My question is why? Why should cyphers be valued so less than battles?

Here’s the answer that I’ve come up with.

Battles have something called, a “definite structure”. No matter what, a verse that has killer punchlines but no multi’s, will lose to a verse that has worse punchlines (not horrible, but worse), but has multi’s. There is a certain structure that you need to follow. There is a way most punchlines are set-up, which things has to work this way, and so-on. This makes it easy to vote on. There is a structure and whoever follows it better and more creatively wins. If someone deters from the structure, mark their verse lower. Quite simple isn’t it? In contrast Cyphers have no definite structure, as a cypher can be anything the writer wants it to be (as long as it rhymes, which is really the only thing a cypher HAS to have, other than legible writing), it doesn’t have to be a story, it doesn’t have to be a biography, it doesn’t have to be a sociopolitical rant. You can’t compare cyphers, since each cypher has a different intention and writing style. Cyphers also take longer to read (and make) with each cypher usually being 32 lines, which is twice as long as the typical Battle verse, which is 8-16 lines. This makes it a hassle for people to rate, since there is no guideline to vote for it and it takes longer to read (and therefore evaluate). Another factor is that FVC members don’t get credits for rating cyphers, which makes it a waste of time for the, to rate these cyphers (despite quality of them). These factors all contribute to why the cyphers are so neglected. And since there isn’t anyone voting on them, there isn’t anyone motivated to write any good cyphers. This creates a domino effect resulting in one of the most underrated sections on this site. Couple that with the fact that the cypher section’s coding is broken to the point of no return (clicking all cyphers leads to all battles, on my device at least) and it’s just so sad. I think the only way to help this, is for
1. Fix the Coding in the cyphers section (not sure if it’s broken for all, but for some it is).
2. At least give some credits to the people who rate cyphers
3. Possibly create a separate FVC to rank cyphers?
4. Have more people write cyphers.
“You think I give a damn, you take your bars that you spitting on stages I've been on and you getting boo'd off the stage so I could really give less of a damn of some internet scores when I make thousand a year doing this LMAO” -MyStix

“anal ass english degree ass hater” - Frosty The Bat

Latest Cypher —> Circles https://www.letsbeef.com/cypher_deta...080&section=tb

Not a lyrical miracle, more of a metaphorical oracle.
Unread 07-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

Prodi G
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 5.77/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
23 Won / 9 Lost

Voted: 2 audio / 70 text

Exclamation IMPORTANT: Cyphers/Topicals

Cyphers

Providing the fact most of you have been on this site for nearly a year, you should all know what the Cypher section is. If you don’t, here is a little explanation. The cypher section is the only place on the site where you can submit your poetry/rap, especially if you don’t have a mic or beat to turn it into a track (specifically text cyphers). This section of the site is the most neglected and buttfucked section of the site, as it is currently overloaded by people posting strings of rhyming words, and others posting random shit. The only saving grace of the cyphers section currently (that I’ve seen so far), is @BURDENS , he is the only one who consistently drops cyphers that are of a high quality, and uses storytelling, descriptive writing, poetic tools, and creative concepts to create a worthwhile reading experience. Now there are two types of legendary cypher writers on letsbeef, @BURDENS , and @DaDDiO . DaDDiO is another important figure on the cypher sections, as he is able to string together a 64 line cypher using a long scheme of multi’s. Both of these people are severely underrated on the site, and usually aren’t considered when talking about greats, why? The answer is simple, the cypher section is neglected. I rarely see anyone drop a cypher that isn’t just filler or off the top of their heads. I rarely see any of the people at the top of the battler leaderboard dropping a cypher. I rarely see a cypher that doesn’t take a few months if not years to get just above 10 votes. I rarely see any forums talking about cyphers. I rarely see any tournaments about cyphers. I rarely see a good cypher that gets more than a few votes. I rarely see different people other than the few who do vote on cyphers, to even look at the cyphers section.

My question is why? Why should cyphers be valued so less than battles?

Here’s the answer that I’ve come up with.

Battles have something called, a “definite structure”. No matter what, a verse that has killer punchlines but no multi’s, will lose to a verse that has worse punchlines (not horrible, but worse), but has multi’s. There is a certain structure that you need to follow. There is a way most punchlines are set-up, which things has to work this way, and so-on. This makes it easy to vote on. There is a structure and whoever follows it better and more creatively wins. If someone deters from the structure, mark their verse lower. Quite simple isn’t it? In contrast Cyphers have no definite structure, as a cypher can be anything the writer wants it to be (as long as it rhymes, which is really the only thing a cypher HAS to have, other than legible writing), it doesn’t have to be a story, it doesn’t have to be a biography, it doesn’t have to be a sociopolitical rant. You can’t compare cyphers, since each cypher has a different intention and writing style. Cyphers also take longer to read (and make) with each cypher usually being 32 lines, which is twice as long as the typical Battle verse, which is 8-16 lines. This makes it a hassle for people to rate, since there is no guideline to vote for it and it takes longer to read (and therefore evaluate). Another factor is that FVC members don’t get credits for rating cyphers, which makes it a waste of time for the, to rate these cyphers (despite quality of them). These factors all contribute to why the cyphers are so neglected. And since there isn’t anyone voting on them, there isn’t anyone motivated to write any good cyphers. This creates a domino effect resulting in one of the most underrated sections on this site. Couple that with the fact that the cypher section’s coding is broken to the point of no return (clicking all cyphers leads to all battles, on my device at least) and it’s just so sad. I think the only way to help this, is for
1. Fix the Coding in the cyphers section (not sure if it’s broken for all, but for some it is).
2. At least give some credits to the people who rate cyphers
3. Possibly create a separate FVC to rank cyphers?
4. Have more people write cyphers.
“You think I give a damn, you take your bars that you spitting on stages I've been on and you getting boo'd off the stage so I could really give less of a damn of some internet scores when I make thousand a year doing this LMAO” -MyStix

Unread 07-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Prodi G
Ranked Text Record
23 Won / 9 Lost

Topicals

Topicals are basically the same thing, however is a combination of a battle. Two people are given a concept/theme or a picture, and are told to write a verse with relation to aforementioned concept/theme or picture, under a certain line limit. These used to be really popular but I don’t know what happened to them. @BURDENS used to run them, but couldn’t cause no one actually showed up to them (apart from me and Wrathchild). I think the staff should bring back the topical tournament, and ossiinly even have a topical section in order to bring these back.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Also, we can incorporate a topical section in the LBT.

Unread 07-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #2

Prodi G
Ranked Text Record
23 Won / 9 Lost

Voted: 2 audio / 70 text

Topicals

Topicals are basically the same thing, however is a combination of a battle. Two people are given a concept/theme or a picture, and are told to write a verse with relation to aforementioned concept/theme or picture, under a certain line limit. These used to be really popular but I don’t know what happened to them. @BURDENS used to run them, but couldn’t cause no one actually showed up to them (apart from me and Wrathchild). I think the staff should bring back the topical tournament, and ossiinly even have a topical section in order to bring these back.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Also, we can incorporate a topical section in the LBT.
Unread 07-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Kiwi Peewee
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)
9 1589
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

@Kriid I've had similar thoughts in some ways about the cypher section for a long time. That part of the site is really neglected, there are several issues with the coding, no-one pays it any attention and it's going downhill. I do disagree with you in a couple of ways. Firstly, DaDDiO is considered by possibly the majority of people that have been here a while and have well-formed opinions to be the GOAT of text battling on LB. The dude is absolutely revered. Secondly, I don't think that cyphers are typically longer than battles (there are plenty of 32 battles and most cyphers I've come across are 8 or 16), and even if they are, I don't think that's a reason they get fewer votes.

Put simply, people are on LB to compete. If we wanted to create beautiful poetry or storytelling, we'd be on fanfiction sites or online poetry groups. Not saying its not an admirable goal, just that it isn't what people are here for. There have been a few cypher competitions on LetsBeef over the years, including some run by Pugz which you can find under the LetsBeef.com Competitions section of the forums. Maybe if these started running again people would get into them? @Pugz could you run cypher competitions like you're currently running track competitions again?

Also with regards to topicals, it would be great to see them up-and-running again, but I think a major reason they died out is because only a small proportion of site users are that into them and they're very difficult to do well. Back at the start of the decade the site had enough users to sustain something like that, whereas nowadays I don't think there are a high enough number of users. I greatly appreciate the efforts @BURDENS took, although my opponent Alzie deleted and I subsequently didn't post because I ran out of time to write it due to irl commitments and the fact that I prioritised other tournaments/LBT/etc because more people were involved in those and they seemed bigger. There actually used to be a topical belt, the LBTT, but as far as I can tell it was only contested once or twice. I don't think a topical tournament would be possible in that there would be so many no-shows etc, but maybe re-instating the LBTT would be a good idea.
Unread 07-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #3

Kiwi Peewee
9 1589
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

Voted: 49 audio / 843 text
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

@Kriid I've had similar thoughts in some ways about the cypher section for a long time. That part of the site is really neglected, there are several issues with the coding, no-one pays it any attention and it's going downhill. I do disagree with you in a couple of ways. Firstly, DaDDiO is considered by possibly the majority of people that have been here a while and have well-formed opinions to be the GOAT of text battling on LB. The dude is absolutely revered. Secondly, I don't think that cyphers are typically longer than battles (there are plenty of 32 battles and most cyphers I've come across are 8 or 16), and even if they are, I don't think that's a reason they get fewer votes.

Put simply, people are on LB to compete. If we wanted to create beautiful poetry or storytelling, we'd be on fanfiction sites or online poetry groups. Not saying its not an admirable goal, just that it isn't what people are here for. There have been a few cypher competitions on LetsBeef over the years, including some run by Pugz which you can find under the LetsBeef.com Competitions section of the forums. Maybe if these started running again people would get into them? @Pugz could you run cypher competitions like you're currently running track competitions again?

Also with regards to topicals, it would be great to see them up-and-running again, but I think a major reason they died out is because only a small proportion of site users are that into them and they're very difficult to do well. Back at the start of the decade the site had enough users to sustain something like that, whereas nowadays I don't think there are a high enough number of users. I greatly appreciate the efforts @BURDENS took, although my opponent Alzie deleted and I subsequently didn't post because I ran out of time to write it due to irl commitments and the fact that I prioritised other tournaments/LBT/etc because more people were involved in those and they seemed bigger. There actually used to be a topical belt, the LBTT, but as far as I can tell it was only contested once or twice. I don't think a topical tournament would be possible in that there would be so many no-shows etc, but maybe re-instating the LBTT would be a good idea.

Display