View Single Post
Unread 01-24-2022, 01:16 PM
Levi Locke
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
4 Won / 1 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
2 Won / 0 Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroxen View Post
Allowing the uploading of vocals is usually a good thing. Let's say someone has a garbage ass mic... they can add certain filters and maybe condense the highs and lows so that it sounds like a better mic. If they're skilled enough to do that and make their audio sound better, I think we all win in that scenario.

One can also layer vocals for chorus/reverb or to accent certain phrases or punches.. this can be seen as either a good or a bad thing. Similarly, one can straight up add reverb to the track to create echo effects, as I've seen in audio battles. Some like this, others don't.

Uploading also allows you to "clean up" your verse in different ways. One instance would be to omit any sounds of taking a breath.. while this wouldn't necessarily fall into the cheating category, it could definitely make the verse sound artificial. I haven't see it done on this site yet, though. Along these lines is punching in, which goes past just omitting breathing between bars but could cause them to overlap entirely. It definitely takes away from the performance aspect of an audio battle and makes me consider whether or not a battler has the capacity to spit the shit they wrote confidently and accurately. However, if someone were to punch in, but did it damn near flawlessly, there would be a lot of finger pointing as to whether or not the person did it or not which would create some chaos.

I'd think the only way to get rid of all of this and make it pure "one take" vs "one take" is to get rid of uploading vocals, but that gets rid of a lot of other beneficial tools at the same time and could lessen the quality of battles that we hear. If you have a trash ass mic, but are able to tweak a few things with your audio to make it sound cleaner so I can hear it better to vote then by all means do it. But to allow uploading and at the same time, with regards to editing, say "_____ is prohibited but _____ is allowed" is walking a fine line.
All I read is trash ass mic in 2022. If you can't afford a good mic, quit rapping.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

People want to know who's the better battler - rapper, not who's better at editing.
Unread 01-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #5

Levi Locke
Estimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.12/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
4 Won / 1 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.12/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
2 Won / 0 Lost

Voted: 3 audio / 7 text
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroxen View Post
Allowing the uploading of vocals is usually a good thing. Let's say someone has a garbage ass mic... they can add certain filters and maybe condense the highs and lows so that it sounds like a better mic. If they're skilled enough to do that and make their audio sound better, I think we all win in that scenario.

One can also layer vocals for chorus/reverb or to accent certain phrases or punches.. this can be seen as either a good or a bad thing. Similarly, one can straight up add reverb to the track to create echo effects, as I've seen in audio battles. Some like this, others don't.

Uploading also allows you to "clean up" your verse in different ways. One instance would be to omit any sounds of taking a breath.. while this wouldn't necessarily fall into the cheating category, it could definitely make the verse sound artificial. I haven't see it done on this site yet, though. Along these lines is punching in, which goes past just omitting breathing between bars but could cause them to overlap entirely. It definitely takes away from the performance aspect of an audio battle and makes me consider whether or not a battler has the capacity to spit the shit they wrote confidently and accurately. However, if someone were to punch in, but did it damn near flawlessly, there would be a lot of finger pointing as to whether or not the person did it or not which would create some chaos.

I'd think the only way to get rid of all of this and make it pure "one take" vs "one take" is to get rid of uploading vocals, but that gets rid of a lot of other beneficial tools at the same time and could lessen the quality of battles that we hear. If you have a trash ass mic, but are able to tweak a few things with your audio to make it sound cleaner so I can hear it better to vote then by all means do it. But to allow uploading and at the same time, with regards to editing, say "_____ is prohibited but _____ is allowed" is walking a fine line.
All I read is trash ass mic in 2022. If you can't afford a good mic, quit rapping.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

People want to know who's the better battler - rapper, not who's better at editing.