View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2017, 07:57 PM
EtH
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
This is the first good response I've had in this thread. I wish we could have conversations like this as oppose to all the Alex Jones-style conspiracy type shit.

I haven't heard of a protest in which the purpose was to block white people going to university? Can you source that, this is the first I've heard of it so would need to know more before I can comment.

You make a good point regarding affirmative action but I think it's a little surface level. If we set our first criteria for selection as low income and have 500 applicants and 100 spaces now we have to narrow that down again (lets assume they all have the same mark). If our hypothetical university is majority white male then it might make sense to give a higher volume of those 100 spaces to women or people of different races. Again, allowing these people to have an opportunity to better themselves and their families that they wouldn't of got otherwise.

That, along with the entire concept of safe spaces and the focus on gender equality, recognition of gender identities, racial awareness and other things over focusing on actual education (and often, such as in this case, the actual prevention of education) are when I have a problem with it.

I actually don't think there's a specific issue with the affirmative action racial angle. If anything, from a purely economic standpoint, it will help people feel comfortable to be around people with the same cultural background as them and know that regardless they have that to fall back on. This will make it a more sought after school for many people (even though of course education should be the highlight).

But when it gets to this stage, it annoys me to see the scales tilt. When this exists, and when people of different ethnicities have a much easier route than white people (specifically males) of the same economic position...why are they protesting the majority of "white cis males" in the uni? What can you do? Do you then have to start denying white males who's parents grafted to earn them a spot in that uni...just because of the colour of their skin?

Another example is a review I saw on Kung Fury. This is a pretty brilliant kickstarter comedy film, set in like the 80s, and made by a Scandinavian film crew who are pretty damn independent. essentially the only characters are a police chief, Kung Fury, Kung Fury's friend, two Viking warriors and Hitler.

The film was reviewed by a couple of critics as "lacking diversity". I mean not only is this a pisstake of 80s action movie (hence the chicks with big tits and machine guns) but what did they want? This small film company to go out and specifically hire a black guy to black Jamal, Kung Fury's other friend who...ehh...aids him along the way...or something? They actually wanted a person hired by this film company, who probably barely even know any black people due to their location, and shoehorn the character in to fight a "diversity quota".

I mean you only have to google "Marvel's Iron Fist" and see a massive clusterfuck about the fact that Marvel hired a white person to play this white character, instead of randomly hiring an Asian guy. For some reason those people don't seem to bitch as much about Idris Elba and Samuel L Jackson being black guys playing previously white characters as much.

I think when something is for the right cause, then awesome. Gay marriage for example. Who in the fuck would want to oppose that, other than for religious reasons which apparently isn't understandable as these (cause tolerance is a one way street?). But it's getting more and more common for people to go on and on and on about certain bollocks that is just that, bollocks.

The pink tax - The belief that women pay more for their products than men (completely doesn't take into account the demands on female products, and the large amounts of additional ingredients required for things like 'soft skin' that commonly don't feature on men's products).

The wage gap - Doesn't take into account what jobs people are actually taking up, and simply looks at the average female and average male earnings overall. When you look at specific fields, it's typically roughly the exact same.

Requirement to teach studies on homosexuality in schools - A legitimate thing that's being brought into the UK now I believe. Since when did kids ever get taught about heterosexuality?

People are misdirecting what are actual problems, and instead are professional victims, getting annoyed at every little thing they possibly can. It's getting more ridiculous all the time, and it's sad that they are too stupid to realize the chain reaction they are causing. Every time a regular person goes on Youtube and sees a video of some racist sexist girl, like the bitch frorm MTV Unplugged or whatever it's called, basically saying they are the fucking devil, that guy gets a bit more pissed off. Eventually, a lot of these people are turning to the other side, voting for Trump and Brexit out of randomness just because they know it's the opposite of the people they hate (and that hate them for no apparent reason).
Unread 03-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #79

EtH

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
This is the first good response I've had in this thread. I wish we could have conversations like this as oppose to all the Alex Jones-style conspiracy type shit.

I haven't heard of a protest in which the purpose was to block white people going to university? Can you source that, this is the first I've heard of it so would need to know more before I can comment.

You make a good point regarding affirmative action but I think it's a little surface level. If we set our first criteria for selection as low income and have 500 applicants and 100 spaces now we have to narrow that down again (lets assume they all have the same mark). If our hypothetical university is majority white male then it might make sense to give a higher volume of those 100 spaces to women or people of different races. Again, allowing these people to have an opportunity to better themselves and their families that they wouldn't of got otherwise.

That, along with the entire concept of safe spaces and the focus on gender equality, recognition of gender identities, racial awareness and other things over focusing on actual education (and often, such as in this case, the actual prevention of education) are when I have a problem with it.

I actually don't think there's a specific issue with the affirmative action racial angle. If anything, from a purely economic standpoint, it will help people feel comfortable to be around people with the same cultural background as them and know that regardless they have that to fall back on. This will make it a more sought after school for many people (even though of course education should be the highlight).

But when it gets to this stage, it annoys me to see the scales tilt. When this exists, and when people of different ethnicities have a much easier route than white people (specifically males) of the same economic position...why are they protesting the majority of "white cis males" in the uni? What can you do? Do you then have to start denying white males who's parents grafted to earn them a spot in that uni...just because of the colour of their skin?

Another example is a review I saw on Kung Fury. This is a pretty brilliant kickstarter comedy film, set in like the 80s, and made by a Scandinavian film crew who are pretty damn independent. essentially the only characters are a police chief, Kung Fury, Kung Fury's friend, two Viking warriors and Hitler.

The film was reviewed by a couple of critics as "lacking diversity". I mean not only is this a pisstake of 80s action movie (hence the chicks with big tits and machine guns) but what did they want? This small film company to go out and specifically hire a black guy to black Jamal, Kung Fury's other friend who...ehh...aids him along the way...or something? They actually wanted a person hired by this film company, who probably barely even know any black people due to their location, and shoehorn the character in to fight a "diversity quota".

I mean you only have to google "Marvel's Iron Fist" and see a massive clusterfuck about the fact that Marvel hired a white person to play this white character, instead of randomly hiring an Asian guy. For some reason those people don't seem to bitch as much about Idris Elba and Samuel L Jackson being black guys playing previously white characters as much.

I think when something is for the right cause, then awesome. Gay marriage for example. Who in the fuck would want to oppose that, other than for religious reasons which apparently isn't understandable as these (cause tolerance is a one way street?). But it's getting more and more common for people to go on and on and on about certain bollocks that is just that, bollocks.

The pink tax - The belief that women pay more for their products than men (completely doesn't take into account the demands on female products, and the large amounts of additional ingredients required for things like 'soft skin' that commonly don't feature on men's products).

The wage gap - Doesn't take into account what jobs people are actually taking up, and simply looks at the average female and average male earnings overall. When you look at specific fields, it's typically roughly the exact same.

Requirement to teach studies on homosexuality in schools - A legitimate thing that's being brought into the UK now I believe. Since when did kids ever get taught about heterosexuality?

People are misdirecting what are actual problems, and instead are professional victims, getting annoyed at every little thing they possibly can. It's getting more ridiculous all the time, and it's sad that they are too stupid to realize the chain reaction they are causing. Every time a regular person goes on Youtube and sees a video of some racist sexist girl, like the bitch frorm MTV Unplugged or whatever it's called, basically saying they are the fucking devil, that guy gets a bit more pissed off. Eventually, a lot of these people are turning to the other side, voting for Trump and Brexit out of randomness just because they know it's the opposite of the people they hate (and that hate them for no apparent reason).