View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Nicholas
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius Fears Me View Post
Well, let's work on your first point; I'm talking about the PHYSICAL prevention of white students (ie. the protest which blocked the university to white students, and not students of colour).

This is when it's an issue. When people are taking their beliefs and trying to use them to silence the beliefs of others, such as safe spaces or the previously mentioned blocking of white students (a racist act).

While I tend to agree with your irrelevant point, fulfilling a quota for students of colour isn't the same as affirmative action as it deliberately excludes disadvantaged white people.
This is the first good response I've had in this thread. I wish we could have conversations like this as oppose to all the Alex Jones-style conspiracy type shit.

I haven't heard of a protest in which the purpose was to block white people going to university? Can you source that, this is the first I've heard of it so would need to know more before I can comment.

You make a good point regarding affirmative action but I think it's a little surface level. If we set our first criteria for selection as low income and have 500 applicants and 100 spaces now we have to narrow that down again (lets assume they all have the same mark). If our hypothetical university is majority white male then it might make sense to give a higher volume of those 100 spaces to women or people of different races. Again, allowing these people to have an opportunity to better themselves and their families that they wouldn't of got otherwise.
Unread 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #76

Nicholas

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius Fears Me View Post
Well, let's work on your first point; I'm talking about the PHYSICAL prevention of white students (ie. the protest which blocked the university to white students, and not students of colour).

This is when it's an issue. When people are taking their beliefs and trying to use them to silence the beliefs of others, such as safe spaces or the previously mentioned blocking of white students (a racist act).

While I tend to agree with your irrelevant point, fulfilling a quota for students of colour isn't the same as affirmative action as it deliberately excludes disadvantaged white people.
This is the first good response I've had in this thread. I wish we could have conversations like this as oppose to all the Alex Jones-style conspiracy type shit.

I haven't heard of a protest in which the purpose was to block white people going to university? Can you source that, this is the first I've heard of it so would need to know more before I can comment.

You make a good point regarding affirmative action but I think it's a little surface level. If we set our first criteria for selection as low income and have 500 applicants and 100 spaces now we have to narrow that down again (lets assume they all have the same mark). If our hypothetical university is majority white male then it might make sense to give a higher volume of those 100 spaces to women or people of different races. Again, allowing these people to have an opportunity to better themselves and their families that they wouldn't of got otherwise.