View Single Post
Unread 03-29-2017, 03:13 PM
EtH
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
The first point of action in any debate is to make sure you're actually debating the same thing. Once you've agreed what it is that you're debating then you can go from there.

There is good reason for this. You can find a good breakdown in the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell but essentially students from low income areas that have a slightly lower test score than those from high income areas tend to achieve roughly the same performance in university. Therefore it makes sense to allow an allotted percentage of students to come from those lower income areas. In the long run this allows families to get themselves out of poverty and become higher earners (the american dream).
Well, let's work on your first point; I'm talking about the PHYSICAL prevention of white students (ie. the protest which blocked the university to white students, and not students of colour).

This is when it's an issue. When people are taking their beliefs and trying to use them to silence the beliefs of others, such as safe spaces or the previously mentioned blocking of white students (a racist act).

While I tend to agree with your irrelevant point, fulfilling a quota for students of colour isn't the same as affirmative action as it deliberately excludes disadvantaged white people.
Unread 03-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #74

EtH

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
The first point of action in any debate is to make sure you're actually debating the same thing. Once you've agreed what it is that you're debating then you can go from there.

There is good reason for this. You can find a good breakdown in the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell but essentially students from low income areas that have a slightly lower test score than those from high income areas tend to achieve roughly the same performance in university. Therefore it makes sense to allow an allotted percentage of students to come from those lower income areas. In the long run this allows families to get themselves out of poverty and become higher earners (the american dream).
Well, let's work on your first point; I'm talking about the PHYSICAL prevention of white students (ie. the protest which blocked the university to white students, and not students of colour).

This is when it's an issue. When people are taking their beliefs and trying to use them to silence the beliefs of others, such as safe spaces or the previously mentioned blocking of white students (a racist act).

While I tend to agree with your irrelevant point, fulfilling a quota for students of colour isn't the same as affirmative action as it deliberately excludes disadvantaged white people.