View Single Post
Unread 04-02-2020, 11:07 AM
EtH
Hall Of Famer
Spring Champion
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
1 Won / 0 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.2/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.2/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.2/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
8 Won / 4 Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
It’s not a lack of knowledge on evolution. Like I said, I’m not gonna call out a whole lot of older guys just on a basis of being simple. I didn’t battle here with Illy, Lefty and Conceited etc but I was in groups with them before they got here...I kinda span both eras so I understand where things came from and where they’re going.

If I pick on anything, it’s always the corny oronyms and wordplays that’s weren’t necessary to win and didn’t make sense to me even back then. I liken it to looking back at shit like backwards clothes and parachute pants. There’s other shit from that era (snap backs, starter jackets, polo) that is classic and still gets rocked today. Folks look back on them other two like ‘it was cool then but wtf were we thinking?’. I’ll still look at a Left Field battle and laugh at all the ways he found to call someone a faggot. Those wordplays though were just as bad then as they are now...folks just ain’t blinded by the moment anymore. Some shit is SnapBacks, some shit is parachute pants.
NawkOut is objectively terrible at times, for sure, often hilariously slow.

But LB was on some "You'll see the cap on his chest like a navy salute" type of bollocks, and suddenly this new dude rocks up spitting 8 syllable wordplays. Some landed too. Other than Conceited, it's arguable that no one shaped the way LB currently writes more today than NawkOut. What he did not only influenced how the likes of a lot of us wrote, but it also bled into the next generation of guys like RULE, Grizz etc. Not that this was a good thing as they sometimes did the exact same forced stuff, but as time went on that's been improved on by people like yourself.

I remember banging my head against the wall as barely anyone on LB understood the "work both ways" concept. Because of guys like Manny, Lock, Bleu, Aggo etc. all understanding that idea, now it's a completely common expression I'd imagine you use as well.

Nawk brought some new shit. I disagree with him being HOF as he was never THE guy on the site, but he definitely changed a lot of the game.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOD GRIEF View Post
One thing that Modern LB lacks is style tbh. It’s turned into an essay writing competion because the day you start delving into grammar is the day you’re no longer critiquing a battle rap verse. No ones taking risk anymore.

Y’all roast Grizz and Diss (which they sometimes deserve) but if I put their verses next to each other I could pick out each without reading their names. They had individual flair.

The harshness of modern voting has led to calculated and artificial styles. Not a lot of flavor. The expectations of voters evolving through the years is expected and encourage but ever since I’ve gotten back in some instances it’s taken too far tbh.

And @EtH what’s your problem with gun bars? They’re a part of battle culture. They’re about as ridiculous as you saying you’re going to fuck someone’s mom or beat them up. Yeah you could argue you’re more likely to fuck someone’s mom than kill them but besides saying their skills are trash or talking about something dumb they did in the past most insults in battle are empty threats or created narratives.

You REALLY want to go meta about this shit?
I think not enough people are trying new shit now, which is where the style lacks. No one wants to lose without bringing their established best, instead of trying to mix it up with something a bit different. The only reason anyone gives me credit is because they think that all of my verses are going to be something they haven't seen a lot of.

They had individual flair. They had no technique. Both struggled to string together a single punchline that actually worked. Grizz was especially bad. Diss had his high moments.

Agree on the harshness of voting.

Gunbars are lame as fuck. Saying you'll fuck someone's mum can be good because you're clowning them. When roasting friends, you can clown someone hard on how you'll fuck their mum. Can you clown them hard about how you'll shoot them?

In a battle, the goal is to insult your opponent. Start to finish, that's every single thing you're doing. There is NOTHING you could say in relation to you shooting me that could make me insulted. The biggest insult is that you actually wrote that and wanted to win. Also a huge part of battling is that for something to be dope to me, I want to see you bring something that I feel I couldn't do. Bring something where I'm like "Oh shit, how did he come up with that?". You will NEVER do that with a gunbar. No matter what gunbar you write, I could also write.

Also to add to this, it's not insulting your opponent anyways. Telling someone you'll shoot them is self bragging. Literally I'll give you points and not even call if a gunbar if you flipped it and instead of "I'll shoot you like ___" you say "You wouldn't shoot me if you were ___". Done. Hell that was half the concept of my verse against Esso.

He fucking loves guns, it’s like he’s got TROUBLE WITH STORING HIS HUNDREDS OF GLOCKS the way he STRUGGLES AND FORCES THE GUNS IN A BOX! When he saw the wild card he was HAVING TO GRAB A SPOT see the reason he couldn’t TENDER THE FIVE BEATINGS is when he heard DecEMBER WAS SNIPE SEASON he was GRABBING HIS DRAGUNOV! Your rhymes tell such a story of the WEAPONS IN STORE that Trump sent Iran one of your verses and it ENDED THE WAR! And nameplay too? His punch SPAN IS BIG, VAST AS SHIT so much so that if he faced FRANKIE 'CLIPZ' he'd fill every inch of his PANTS WITH JIZZ!

I'm using gun concepts, albeit facetiously, but this is defo not "gunplay"
@mcg#3451
Unread 04-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #40

EtH
Hall Of Famer
Spring Champion
Estimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.13/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
1 Won / 0 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.13/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.2/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.2/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.2/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
8 Won / 4 Lost

Voted: 5 audio / 65 text
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
It’s not a lack of knowledge on evolution. Like I said, I’m not gonna call out a whole lot of older guys just on a basis of being simple. I didn’t battle here with Illy, Lefty and Conceited etc but I was in groups with them before they got here...I kinda span both eras so I understand where things came from and where they’re going.

If I pick on anything, it’s always the corny oronyms and wordplays that’s weren’t necessary to win and didn’t make sense to me even back then. I liken it to looking back at shit like backwards clothes and parachute pants. There’s other shit from that era (snap backs, starter jackets, polo) that is classic and still gets rocked today. Folks look back on them other two like ‘it was cool then but wtf were we thinking?’. I’ll still look at a Left Field battle and laugh at all the ways he found to call someone a faggot. Those wordplays though were just as bad then as they are now...folks just ain’t blinded by the moment anymore. Some shit is SnapBacks, some shit is parachute pants.
NawkOut is objectively terrible at times, for sure, often hilariously slow.

But LB was on some "You'll see the cap on his chest like a navy salute" type of bollocks, and suddenly this new dude rocks up spitting 8 syllable wordplays. Some landed too. Other than Conceited, it's arguable that no one shaped the way LB currently writes more today than NawkOut. What he did not only influenced how the likes of a lot of us wrote, but it also bled into the next generation of guys like RULE, Grizz etc. Not that this was a good thing as they sometimes did the exact same forced stuff, but as time went on that's been improved on by people like yourself.

I remember banging my head against the wall as barely anyone on LB understood the "work both ways" concept. Because of guys like Manny, Lock, Bleu, Aggo etc. all understanding that idea, now it's a completely common expression I'd imagine you use as well.

Nawk brought some new shit. I disagree with him being HOF as he was never THE guy on the site, but he definitely changed a lot of the game.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOD GRIEF View Post
One thing that Modern LB lacks is style tbh. It’s turned into an essay writing competion because the day you start delving into grammar is the day you’re no longer critiquing a battle rap verse. No ones taking risk anymore.

Y’all roast Grizz and Diss (which they sometimes deserve) but if I put their verses next to each other I could pick out each without reading their names. They had individual flair.

The harshness of modern voting has led to calculated and artificial styles. Not a lot of flavor. The expectations of voters evolving through the years is expected and encourage but ever since I’ve gotten back in some instances it’s taken too far tbh.

And @EtH what’s your problem with gun bars? They’re a part of battle culture. They’re about as ridiculous as you saying you’re going to fuck someone’s mom or beat them up. Yeah you could argue you’re more likely to fuck someone’s mom than kill them but besides saying their skills are trash or talking about something dumb they did in the past most insults in battle are empty threats or created narratives.

You REALLY want to go meta about this shit?
I think not enough people are trying new shit now, which is where the style lacks. No one wants to lose without bringing their established best, instead of trying to mix it up with something a bit different. The only reason anyone gives me credit is because they think that all of my verses are going to be something they haven't seen a lot of.

They had individual flair. They had no technique. Both struggled to string together a single punchline that actually worked. Grizz was especially bad. Diss had his high moments.

Agree on the harshness of voting.

Gunbars are lame as fuck. Saying you'll fuck someone's mum can be good because you're clowning them. When roasting friends, you can clown someone hard on how you'll fuck their mum. Can you clown them hard about how you'll shoot them?

In a battle, the goal is to insult your opponent. Start to finish, that's every single thing you're doing. There is NOTHING you could say in relation to you shooting me that could make me insulted. The biggest insult is that you actually wrote that and wanted to win. Also a huge part of battling is that for something to be dope to me, I want to see you bring something that I feel I couldn't do. Bring something where I'm like "Oh shit, how did he come up with that?". You will NEVER do that with a gunbar. No matter what gunbar you write, I could also write.

Also to add to this, it's not insulting your opponent anyways. Telling someone you'll shoot them is self bragging. Literally I'll give you points and not even call if a gunbar if you flipped it and instead of "I'll shoot you like ___" you say "You wouldn't shoot me if you were ___". Done. Hell that was half the concept of my verse against Esso.

He fucking loves guns, it’s like he’s got TROUBLE WITH STORING HIS HUNDREDS OF GLOCKS the way he STRUGGLES AND FORCES THE GUNS IN A BOX! When he saw the wild card he was HAVING TO GRAB A SPOT see the reason he couldn’t TENDER THE FIVE BEATINGS is when he heard DecEMBER WAS SNIPE SEASON he was GRABBING HIS DRAGUNOV! Your rhymes tell such a story of the WEAPONS IN STORE that Trump sent Iran one of your verses and it ENDED THE WAR! And nameplay too? His punch SPAN IS BIG, VAST AS SHIT so much so that if he faced FRANKIE 'CLIPZ' he'd fill every inch of his PANTS WITH JIZZ!

I'm using gun concepts, albeit facetiously, but this is defo not "gunplay"
@mcg#3451