View Single Post
Unread 02-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Noir
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squammy View Post
For me I only vote on text but I prioritise content over multis and flow. My order of preference from best to worst is:

1. Direct, relevant bars - Most people here clearly don't write for their opponent so when people do it always sticks out. Name flips are fine too. Sometimes basic, sometimes great, but at least they're direct.
2. Double meaning wordplay - Most people here do single meaning similes and sometimes that's 75%+ of their verse so its boring and not creative. Double meanings are difficult to write but hit harder than anything. A bar that works both ways and attacks your opponent specifically is as perfect as you can get.
3. Original concepts/schemes/wordplay - Again, its so nice to read a verse that isnt just Mcgregor, Trump, Marvel bars the whole way through.
4. Similes - They come into play only after all that stuff, and I'm looking for ones that are creative, complex etc. I'm bored of people using nothing but similes that could apply to anyone. Read a 16 line verse earlier today where 12 lines were single-meaning similes. Yawn.
5. General shit with no wordplay - So just a cypher basically. Its battle rap. Battle your opponent. You'll rarely win if you do this.

Then in terms of readability formatting matters a lot. I think 3-4 syllables is fine, the sweet spot is 4-6 and over 6 usually results in ugly reachy punches. I'd rather read a clean, sleek 4 syllable verse than a reachy 9 syllable verse. I see so many people use unnatural wording or overly long sentences and I always mark it down.

So my vote is an average of all that, with preference going towards those who write towards their opponent and try double meanings and original ideas.

I personally think for a text 'battle', its dumb to see so many voters not take into consideration if one person has clearly written for their opponent and one person has just chained random lines together. I also don't like that voters sometimes prefer simple one way punchlines to someone trying to actually break down and talk to their opponent. There's a lot I'd change.

Edit: And to address what y'all are asking. I read once, then once again as I start writing my vote. I always read expos and google stuff I don't catch. Even if the bar is trash at least you learn something new.
A lot of people, even the top heads, are quoting shit that doesn't have a double meaning lol. And the worst part is it actually fools people.
Unread 02-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #9

Noir

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squammy View Post
For me I only vote on text but I prioritise content over multis and flow. My order of preference from best to worst is:

1. Direct, relevant bars - Most people here clearly don't write for their opponent so when people do it always sticks out. Name flips are fine too. Sometimes basic, sometimes great, but at least they're direct.
2. Double meaning wordplay - Most people here do single meaning similes and sometimes that's 75%+ of their verse so its boring and not creative. Double meanings are difficult to write but hit harder than anything. A bar that works both ways and attacks your opponent specifically is as perfect as you can get.
3. Original concepts/schemes/wordplay - Again, its so nice to read a verse that isnt just Mcgregor, Trump, Marvel bars the whole way through.
4. Similes - They come into play only after all that stuff, and I'm looking for ones that are creative, complex etc. I'm bored of people using nothing but similes that could apply to anyone. Read a 16 line verse earlier today where 12 lines were single-meaning similes. Yawn.
5. General shit with no wordplay - So just a cypher basically. Its battle rap. Battle your opponent. You'll rarely win if you do this.

Then in terms of readability formatting matters a lot. I think 3-4 syllables is fine, the sweet spot is 4-6 and over 6 usually results in ugly reachy punches. I'd rather read a clean, sleek 4 syllable verse than a reachy 9 syllable verse. I see so many people use unnatural wording or overly long sentences and I always mark it down.

So my vote is an average of all that, with preference going towards those who write towards their opponent and try double meanings and original ideas.

I personally think for a text 'battle', its dumb to see so many voters not take into consideration if one person has clearly written for their opponent and one person has just chained random lines together. I also don't like that voters sometimes prefer simple one way punchlines to someone trying to actually break down and talk to their opponent. There's a lot I'd change.

Edit: And to address what y'all are asking. I read once, then once again as I start writing my vote. I always read expos and google stuff I don't catch. Even if the bar is trash at least you learn something new.
A lot of people, even the top heads, are quoting shit that doesn't have a double meaning lol. And the worst part is it actually fools people.