View Single Post
Unread 04-03-2017, 10:03 PM
EtH
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagga Lee View Post
I agree with you about Slim Jesus...that he may have been taken more seriously if he was black making the same music. I think this is where the concept of intersectionality comes in-that a person can be privileged in some ways but not in others.

According to Google:
priv·i·lege
ˈpriv(ə)lij/Submit
noun
a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.
"education is a right, not a privilege"
synonyms: advantage, benefit;
Do you mind explaining why you say privilege only applies to a person? So many simple things are considered to be "white privilege," that someone trying to argue it wouldn't need to go down the route of police shootings or incarceration rates. The simple fact that no matter what race you are, when you go to school, you will learn mostly about white history and white accomplishments...or the fact that if you get pulled over, you can be sure that it's not because of your race...simple things like that are considered manifestations of white privilege.
You don't benefit from say "not being harassed by the cops" if you're white and frequently get harassed by the cops. You don't benefit from "the gender wage gap" if you earn less than the average female in your field.

The reason you learn mostly about white history and white accomplishments is because there are simply more of those. Throughout a lot of invention, art and religion, typically the kind of topics covered in non-US education, black people were an oppressed minority and their ability to invent, create art or influence religion was greatly depreciated, so there were less noteworthy moments than there were from white people.

"When you get pulled over, you can be sure it's not of your race". What if it's because of my age? In this context, why is race such a massive huge deal? What about age privilege? Not a big deal eh? No MTV Encoded videos on that eh? Why not? If you were to check really any numbers, if there are any available, people getting pulled over are MUCH more likely to be of a younger age compared to being pulled over for a racially motivated thing. Also things like the type of car you drive, your dress sense, how you are driving. These factors rank waaay before race in the reasons people get pulled over. "You can be sure it's not because of your race", that is true, sort of. But you can't be sure that it IS because of your race. A lot of the time, if a black man is pulled over frequently, it'll be blamed on his race. Of course, cops must be racist. Why then, if a white person is pulled over equal or more times throughout the same time frame, is he in receipt of "white privilege"? He got pulled over more, where's the racial injustice in that?

The problem with "white privilege" is that it's saying "white people have these privileges because they are white" (would also like to interject that many who believe white privilege is a thing don't believe black privilege is a thing). White people, as a group, DON'T have those privileges. People get pulled over constantly in some neighbourhoods whilst never committing any crimes. If people wanted to extend white privilege to "SOME white people" instead of "white people" then sure, I could accept that...but in that case why the fuck would we be talking about it because SOME black people are very fortunate and privileged as well.
Unread 04-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #14

EtH

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagga Lee View Post
I agree with you about Slim Jesus...that he may have been taken more seriously if he was black making the same music. I think this is where the concept of intersectionality comes in-that a person can be privileged in some ways but not in others.

According to Google:
priv·i·lege
ˈpriv(ə)lij/Submit
noun
a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.
"education is a right, not a privilege"
synonyms: advantage, benefit;
Do you mind explaining why you say privilege only applies to a person? So many simple things are considered to be "white privilege," that someone trying to argue it wouldn't need to go down the route of police shootings or incarceration rates. The simple fact that no matter what race you are, when you go to school, you will learn mostly about white history and white accomplishments...or the fact that if you get pulled over, you can be sure that it's not because of your race...simple things like that are considered manifestations of white privilege.
You don't benefit from say "not being harassed by the cops" if you're white and frequently get harassed by the cops. You don't benefit from "the gender wage gap" if you earn less than the average female in your field.

The reason you learn mostly about white history and white accomplishments is because there are simply more of those. Throughout a lot of invention, art and religion, typically the kind of topics covered in non-US education, black people were an oppressed minority and their ability to invent, create art or influence religion was greatly depreciated, so there were less noteworthy moments than there were from white people.

"When you get pulled over, you can be sure it's not of your race". What if it's because of my age? In this context, why is race such a massive huge deal? What about age privilege? Not a big deal eh? No MTV Encoded videos on that eh? Why not? If you were to check really any numbers, if there are any available, people getting pulled over are MUCH more likely to be of a younger age compared to being pulled over for a racially motivated thing. Also things like the type of car you drive, your dress sense, how you are driving. These factors rank waaay before race in the reasons people get pulled over. "You can be sure it's not because of your race", that is true, sort of. But you can't be sure that it IS because of your race. A lot of the time, if a black man is pulled over frequently, it'll be blamed on his race. Of course, cops must be racist. Why then, if a white person is pulled over equal or more times throughout the same time frame, is he in receipt of "white privilege"? He got pulled over more, where's the racial injustice in that?

The problem with "white privilege" is that it's saying "white people have these privileges because they are white" (would also like to interject that many who believe white privilege is a thing don't believe black privilege is a thing). White people, as a group, DON'T have those privileges. People get pulled over constantly in some neighbourhoods whilst never committing any crimes. If people wanted to extend white privilege to "SOME white people" instead of "white people" then sure, I could accept that...but in that case why the fuck would we be talking about it because SOME black people are very fortunate and privileged as well.