View Single Post
Unread 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM
X
The Boss
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Also the line is going to move depending on the person. For example with me personally I wouldn't be mad if someone found my profiles, found out personal info and used it in a rap battle against me (provided links weren't given preferably). So long as "no harm is done" i.e. they don't contact anyone they come across or harass me, or anyone I know in the process.

However for @Celsius it seems that he didn't want anyone to search out any of his social media profiles. Which is absolutely his prerogative and I can totally understand that. But it does pose a difficult question for enforcing any kind of rule.

To me it seems there are two options. Self-policing; simply ask your opponent if they're OK with something being mentioned in a battle. Or, Option 2 making a strict rule that opposes digging up personal information. I would personally prefer option 1 as option 2 is too binary and could take the fun out of the site for battlers that particularly like to use personals.
One thing I'll point out about social media, if you don't want your personal info exposed, you should set up your privacy settings properly. Most people leave the default settings on Facebook which exposes a lot of your shit publicly.

Not trying to justify it being "ok" to use someones personal info, but there are ways to prevent it from happening in the first place.
Unread 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #17

X
The Boss

Voted: 148 audio / 43 text
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Also the line is going to move depending on the person. For example with me personally I wouldn't be mad if someone found my profiles, found out personal info and used it in a rap battle against me (provided links weren't given preferably). So long as "no harm is done" i.e. they don't contact anyone they come across or harass me, or anyone I know in the process.

However for @Celsius it seems that he didn't want anyone to search out any of his social media profiles. Which is absolutely his prerogative and I can totally understand that. But it does pose a difficult question for enforcing any kind of rule.

To me it seems there are two options. Self-policing; simply ask your opponent if they're OK with something being mentioned in a battle. Or, Option 2 making a strict rule that opposes digging up personal information. I would personally prefer option 1 as option 2 is too binary and could take the fun out of the site for battlers that particularly like to use personals.
One thing I'll point out about social media, if you don't want your personal info exposed, you should set up your privacy settings properly. Most people leave the default settings on Facebook which exposes a lot of your shit publicly.

Not trying to justify it being "ok" to use someones personal info, but there are ways to prevent it from happening in the first place.
Offline   Reply With Quote