View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Kiwi Peewee
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

@Kriid I've had similar thoughts in some ways about the cypher section for a long time. That part of the site is really neglected, there are several issues with the coding, no-one pays it any attention and it's going downhill. I do disagree with you in a couple of ways. Firstly, DaDDiO is considered by possibly the majority of people that have been here a while and have well-formed opinions to be the GOAT of text battling on LB. The dude is absolutely revered. Secondly, I don't think that cyphers are typically longer than battles (there are plenty of 32 battles and most cyphers I've come across are 8 or 16), and even if they are, I don't think that's a reason they get fewer votes.

Put simply, people are on LB to compete. If we wanted to create beautiful poetry or storytelling, we'd be on fanfiction sites or online poetry groups. Not saying its not an admirable goal, just that it isn't what people are here for. There have been a few cypher competitions on LetsBeef over the years, including some run by Pugz which you can find under the LetsBeef.com Competitions section of the forums. Maybe if these started running again people would get into them? @Pugz could you run cypher competitions like you're currently running track competitions again?

Also with regards to topicals, it would be great to see them up-and-running again, but I think a major reason they died out is because only a small proportion of site users are that into them and they're very difficult to do well. Back at the start of the decade the site had enough users to sustain something like that, whereas nowadays I don't think there are a high enough number of users. I greatly appreciate the efforts @BURDENS took, although my opponent Alzie deleted and I subsequently didn't post because I ran out of time to write it due to irl commitments and the fact that I prioritised other tournaments/LBT/etc because more people were involved in those and they seemed bigger. There actually used to be a topical belt, the LBTT, but as far as I can tell it was only contested once or twice. I don't think a topical tournament would be possible in that there would be so many no-shows etc, but maybe re-instating the LBTT would be a good idea.
Unread 07-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #3

Kiwi Peewee
Estimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 0/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.36/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
57 Won / 17 Lost

Voted: 49 audio / 843 text
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)

@Kriid I've had similar thoughts in some ways about the cypher section for a long time. That part of the site is really neglected, there are several issues with the coding, no-one pays it any attention and it's going downhill. I do disagree with you in a couple of ways. Firstly, DaDDiO is considered by possibly the majority of people that have been here a while and have well-formed opinions to be the GOAT of text battling on LB. The dude is absolutely revered. Secondly, I don't think that cyphers are typically longer than battles (there are plenty of 32 battles and most cyphers I've come across are 8 or 16), and even if they are, I don't think that's a reason they get fewer votes.

Put simply, people are on LB to compete. If we wanted to create beautiful poetry or storytelling, we'd be on fanfiction sites or online poetry groups. Not saying its not an admirable goal, just that it isn't what people are here for. There have been a few cypher competitions on LetsBeef over the years, including some run by Pugz which you can find under the LetsBeef.com Competitions section of the forums. Maybe if these started running again people would get into them? @Pugz could you run cypher competitions like you're currently running track competitions again?

Also with regards to topicals, it would be great to see them up-and-running again, but I think a major reason they died out is because only a small proportion of site users are that into them and they're very difficult to do well. Back at the start of the decade the site had enough users to sustain something like that, whereas nowadays I don't think there are a high enough number of users. I greatly appreciate the efforts @BURDENS took, although my opponent Alzie deleted and I subsequently didn't post because I ran out of time to write it due to irl commitments and the fact that I prioritised other tournaments/LBT/etc because more people were involved in those and they seemed bigger. There actually used to be a topical belt, the LBTT, but as far as I can tell it was only contested once or twice. I don't think a topical tournament would be possible in that there would be so many no-shows etc, but maybe re-instating the LBTT would be a good idea.