View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2020, 09:21 PM
Ticket
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
Why 50 grams? lol.

You're right that squats do increase test but it's unnecessary to do squats before and after a workout. If you're already hitting legs once or twice a week...it provides little to no benefit to do them before every workout.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

A lot of good info here. Clearly you've spent your time in the gym. I agree w/ everything you said except the highlighted part.

You're right that it's important to change up your routine or exercise selection. However, you don't want to do that too often. It's not really actual muscle mass development from switching exercise selection or routine. The majority of those gains are mainly from neural adaptations. That doesn't mean that you should do the same routine or exercises for years on end. It means you need to be smart about variation. Changing up your reps/sets, use chains, add intensity, decrease or increase rest time etc. Far too many people are program hopping and not focusing on what really drives hypertrophy...progressive overload.

The key is to keep improving on your compound lifts. Your main goal should be progressive overload. It's hard to progressively overload if you're constantly changing your routine. Increase load (sets or reps...or both) or decrease interval/rest time. That way you do more work each and every week.

This ^^^... I will add that there are a few key differences with muscle fiber recruitment if you are looking to either just look good or really work on athletic performance...

If you have any interest in improving sports performance, in addition to the good information provided by others I would suggest incorporating some powerful movements into your routine... the goal would be to quickly recruit the fast twitch muscle fibers needed to accelerate the weight through the movement... ideally this would be accomplished during a strength routine (something like 5 x 5 sets with plenty of rest in between) .. A good strength program should last 6-8 weeks...

I will say that many errors made by people who are just getting going is they try to do everything at once... focus on one thing at a time.. if you are going to cut, then be calorie deficient.. if you are going to try to gain strength, the focus on low rep - high weight... if you are going to bulk and strictly try to gain muscle mass through hypertrophy then you need to consume excess calories and lift with progressive overload and allow ample time for recovery...

Watch some youtube.. plenty of people with extensive knowledge on the subject that offer all of this information for free... what a great time to be alive.
Unread 01-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #30

Ticket

Voted: 0 audio / 0 text
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
Why 50 grams? lol.

You're right that squats do increase test but it's unnecessary to do squats before and after a workout. If you're already hitting legs once or twice a week...it provides little to no benefit to do them before every workout.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

A lot of good info here. Clearly you've spent your time in the gym. I agree w/ everything you said except the highlighted part.

You're right that it's important to change up your routine or exercise selection. However, you don't want to do that too often. It's not really actual muscle mass development from switching exercise selection or routine. The majority of those gains are mainly from neural adaptations. That doesn't mean that you should do the same routine or exercises for years on end. It means you need to be smart about variation. Changing up your reps/sets, use chains, add intensity, decrease or increase rest time etc. Far too many people are program hopping and not focusing on what really drives hypertrophy...progressive overload.

The key is to keep improving on your compound lifts. Your main goal should be progressive overload. It's hard to progressively overload if you're constantly changing your routine. Increase load (sets or reps...or both) or decrease interval/rest time. That way you do more work each and every week.

This ^^^... I will add that there are a few key differences with muscle fiber recruitment if you are looking to either just look good or really work on athletic performance...

If you have any interest in improving sports performance, in addition to the good information provided by others I would suggest incorporating some powerful movements into your routine... the goal would be to quickly recruit the fast twitch muscle fibers needed to accelerate the weight through the movement... ideally this would be accomplished during a strength routine (something like 5 x 5 sets with plenty of rest in between) .. A good strength program should last 6-8 weeks...

I will say that many errors made by people who are just getting going is they try to do everything at once... focus on one thing at a time.. if you are going to cut, then be calorie deficient.. if you are going to try to gain strength, the focus on low rep - high weight... if you are going to bulk and strictly try to gain muscle mass through hypertrophy then you need to consume excess calories and lift with progressive overload and allow ample time for recovery...

Watch some youtube.. plenty of people with extensive knowledge on the subject that offer all of this information for free... what a great time to be alive.