View Single Post
Unread 06-27-2018, 05:28 PM
NOBLE
Mentioned: 3622 Post(s)
Tagged: 76 Thread(s)
Estimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
4 Won / 0 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.71/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
30 Won / 8 Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rant View Post
A.) To answer OP. Mods are chosen, in part, on their ability to vote concisely, and understand the mechanisms of voting. It's one of the prerequisites for consideration. This is why they're allotted higher VP.(In the past, the FVC was used as a "recruitment pool" of sorts, for this very reason.) Mods aren't better voters because they're mods, they're mods because they're better voters.

B.) To respond to the quoted section. Being a good battler doesn't make you a good voter, either. Just because I battle a lot, and am good at it, doesn't mean I take the time necessary, or put in the effort necessary to vote consistently, and be a strong voter.
This is 100%. I can only think of one or two occasions in the last 7 years where someone was picked as a mod who hadn't gone through the FVC at some point prior.
In my view, voting is a lot like battling in the sense that it takes continuous practice to be a good voter. Someone can be a great battler, but if they take a year off from writing battles, they will more than likely come back "rusty" and have to build themselves up back to the level they were. I think voting is the same way. I've seen people who are considered among the best voters leave the site for a while, then come back dropping absolutely shitty votes before their ratings and judgement starts showing a certain level of accuracy again. Once you understand how to judge battles, there's a certain amount of that skill that never leaves you, but it still takes practice to maintain the most accurate assessments imo.
Unread 06-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #9

NOBLE
Estimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Audio: 7.05/10 stars
Ranked Audio Record
4 Won / 0 Lost
Estimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.05/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.71/10 starsEstimated Skill in Text: 7.71/10 stars
Ranked Text Record
30 Won / 8 Lost

Voted: 407 audio / 1061 text
Mentioned: 3622 Post(s)
Tagged: 76 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rant View Post
A.) To answer OP. Mods are chosen, in part, on their ability to vote concisely, and understand the mechanisms of voting. It's one of the prerequisites for consideration. This is why they're allotted higher VP.(In the past, the FVC was used as a "recruitment pool" of sorts, for this very reason.) Mods aren't better voters because they're mods, they're mods because they're better voters.

B.) To respond to the quoted section. Being a good battler doesn't make you a good voter, either. Just because I battle a lot, and am good at it, doesn't mean I take the time necessary, or put in the effort necessary to vote consistently, and be a strong voter.
This is 100%. I can only think of one or two occasions in the last 7 years where someone was picked as a mod who hadn't gone through the FVC at some point prior.
In my view, voting is a lot like battling in the sense that it takes continuous practice to be a good voter. Someone can be a great battler, but if they take a year off from writing battles, they will more than likely come back "rusty" and have to build themselves up back to the level they were. I think voting is the same way. I've seen people who are considered among the best voters leave the site for a while, then come back dropping absolutely shitty votes before their ratings and judgement starts showing a certain level of accuracy again. Once you understand how to judge battles, there's a certain amount of that skill that never leaves you, but it still takes practice to maintain the most accurate assessments imo.