PDA

View Full Version : Punchlines in rap?

UnEtHıCaL
10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Personally, I don't like them atall. Punchlines dont make rap, rap is an art, punchlines are a skill. Rapping is about story telling, lyracism, music and flow. Punchline rappers have many flaws in those areas, and although can hit hard with a nice metaphore, where does it really fit in? I don't think a punchline can come anywehre near to a great story telling piece.

Example:-

Put It On -Big L
Vs.
Baby Don't Cry -2pac

I love both songs, but Baby Don't Cry has to come first. Put It On has some really like, damn lines, but it has no meaningful story to it, it's really just the story of ''i am cool and great'' that we hear all the time, mixed with nice lyracism and vocab. Baby Don't Cry has a topic, kept on perfectly, emotion and poetic skills. Big L is a better lyracist in terms of multies and vocab than 2pac, by far, and has an even or slightly better flow, but with no emotion in a piece, there is no crossing the line between gaining experience with punchlines, which we all on lb have done, compaired to doing something that has a heart and soul poured into it like 2pac's piece. Thoughts?

G-Reborn
10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Its two diff styles

but punchline rap is just as dope as story telling rap.

slick rick is dope as big L to me.

mac dre is the dopest

G-Reborn
10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
something you should know-mac dre

good song-

Verse2
10-30-2009, 02:16 AM
U gotta branch them off differently n my opinion...

cuz u don't compare Mos def to a Cassidy....or Common to a Lil Wayne...

they're are 2 different styles of rap...some people prefer punchlines...others prefer lyricism,storyline, and emotion...

me i'ma fan of all of it...if i had to choose tho i'ma lyricism fan first and foremost...me i'ma song writer...the only reason i ever join these forums is to work on my punchline and battle side...u want to have a balance...but if i had to say which 1 was "more" hip hop...u can't say...cuz they both are...and that would b taking away from those who love punchlines...song wise a lyricism and story writing are key to good songs...but for ya street stuff punchlines are key...and alot of people remember parts of your song because of a punchline dat stood out...so itz a give and take relationship...they help each other n a way

HipHopKnowledge
11-03-2009, 03:20 PM
naw if you gon compare songs with emotion listen to big l lifestyles ov da poor and dangerous he tell stories and still drop the craziest metaphors/similies and his multis always on point.. but i do agree most punchline rappers are useless if they cant make a song.. few can do that (im glad im one that can lol) but yea both totally different styles now adays the controversy rapper is the one who sells... what you talkin bout? or u just runnin ya mouth?

Verse2
11-03-2009, 09:37 PM
what you talkin bout? or u just runnin ya mouth?

^^^lmaooo

i like 2 think i kno alil bit about hip hop...i say from da gate my stuff is jus opinion...none of itz facts...jus how i see it

Big L is nice...

seems like whoevers being controversial is da 1 making money....which is why good niggas like Common can't seem to get da respect they deserve...

dat kinda stuff burns me up...but i don't think they like the spotlight anyway...so itz all good i guess....

but as far as niggas who like to bash niggas to get record sales...i believe n karma....like da whole Roc~a~fella shit...Dame got his hard...da niggas been bankrupt for a minute...and itz only a matter of time b4 grimey niggas get theirs....there's a wrong and right way to go about everything...and even if da good niggas ain't rich...they have longevity and real niggas respect
em...and harsh bad shit don't come their way too often...

u don't hear Busta Rhymes got shot...or got robbed...bcuz i think he's genuinely a good person....kno what i mean...50 got a million and 1 enemies...Ciara can't get her career jump started...and for da rest of da grimey niggas...itz jus a matter of time....

UnEtHıCaL
11-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Busta Rhymes is NOOOOOOOOT a good person lmao.