PDA

View Full Version : Mixing vocals

Just C
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey wassup people. For the past month or so now i've been writing tracks and recording vocals..But i can never seem to get my Vocals sounding right...I've just purchased the Samson G Track Condenser Microphone..A purchase i've regreted since day 1...But i can't take my Mic back because of hygene reasons..once its been used thats it..i've got to live with it (how fucked is that?)... I used to have the samson co1u which is cheaper than the G track..So in hindsight being a dumbass i thought i'd go with the G Track..it's gotta be a nicer mic if it cost more right? WRONG!!!...my vocals sound flat and extremely low end heavy..plus it pics up bucket loads of backgroung noise...No matter what i seem to do my vocals sound poor...Im baisicly looking for some mixing tips from any one who uses Adobe audition (not cool edit) Or Propellerheads Record..Im really at a loss...so much so that everytime i record i end up scraping my projects...I just cant produce a track if it dont sound right..im really picky like that and it bugs the hell out of me....I know i need a new mic...and i will be buying a decent mic with & external mixer ect in the next month or so..but im looking for a solution to see me through till then...id really apreciate your help..thanx

slappdoctor
10-02-2009, 12:55 AM
So You Record With Phantom power Right?

Here's 5 Free Tips I Can Give You For Improving Sound Quality On Vocals in A Home Base Studio!
1.Turn Down The 30hz in Your Eq
2.Turn Up The Mids A Lil bit!
3.If Your Recording In 1 Room I Strongly Recommend Building A Booth!
4.Put Your Booth In A Closet!
5.Sound Proof By Foaming A Lil Box inside the mic where you spit at!

Or

Click The Site Link Below Join The Mailing List And Get Emailed When
I upload A Video Showing How To Fix Your Problem!
In A Home Base Studio Setting!

Wild HTX
10-14-2009, 12:48 AM
What I do is Compress the vocals. Then I EQ it. I take alot of the bass out. Turn up the high just a tad. It really depends on the voice. Some people need a little mid turned up. The best way is to get a good song that sounds good to you. Then try to match your with that. Then I bounce it to a wav file. Then I master it. Hope this helps. Thanks!

J-Nesio
10-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Recording in a room has nothing to do with it..
for good quality, have a good mic.
(I had mics that wouldn't record background noises or echoes)
If you wanna mix tracks..just use a regular program (download one for free).
OR if you wanna mix them into sounding like some studio quality type shit..you might wanna invest more into it.
Oh and if you Do wanna make your own booth, if you have a low mic. just get some at guitar center..they have foams for cheap. buy enough to surround your closet/ wherever your booth will be.

Phonocide
10-14-2009, 02:58 AM
I just recently bought a Shure KSM32, and it's unbelievably clean. Not sure what your budget looks like, but that'd be my reccomendation. G'luck with ya quality.

-Saw

Z RACK
10-14-2009, 03:20 AM
iight i record with a samson c03u usb garbage and its nothing special,, but booths or at least a closet with blankets or something that will deaden the sound and make it better ,, and you know my quality Betta ,, And i have basically worked to get my sound threw major trial and error ,,, i have no hardware but i do use wave plugins i suggest maybe getting a copy of these plugins cause they do wonders and there more user friendly then adobes effects that u type in numbers and shit working with sliders and eq's with curves is alot easier ,, i think your problem betta is knowing how to use a eq properly and matching your vocal to the beat ,,

your Eq , i start rolling off around 100 hz and then everything after 30 hz i get rid of ,,, i make a sharp cut around 250 hz to that will get rid of some muddiness in the vocal ,, and between 3000 - 4000 hz i raise the level cause it makes your vocal sound closer ,,,

If you get waves they have an rvox plugin that gates those background noises out and when you record there should be a switch on your mic to roll off the low frequencys. after i gate my vocals i compress them first and i go with a 5:1 ratio Attack between 3-5 and Release around 90 depending and i drop the threshold to around -15 ,,, thats my vocal experiment with yours ,,,

now waves has a desser to i dont believe adobe does and all this compression and eqing can cause sibilance so i suggest getting a desser and around 6000 hz i use my desser just dropping the threshhold and using my ears so it does sound like im rapping with a lisp but getting rid of those annoying "S" sounds

i use very lil reverb on my vocal to just add a lil wetness to it not much ,,

in adobe i suggest mixing in the multi track mode not single track ,, to do that click the mixer tab at the top next to the main and there will be an effects rack on each individual track if they dont show up drag the screen down a bit ,, now you can put your vocal chain in and actually save it and listen to the beat and vocal at the same time as you mix ,,,

now i noticed on your tracks your beat is to high all the time J, so dont be afraid to turn that beat down ,,, but to make your shit all level that involves mastering your track and thats a whole nother ball game ,, if yeah get your mixing down pat send me one of your joints and ill master it for you

i learned alotta shit just by googling, watching tutorials, also i found www.gearslutz.com a very helpful site ,, but most of all by actually using my ears and understanding how all this shit works and im still learning everday to hope this helps took me awhile to write lol oh well lemme know who it goes and make sure to find a copy of Waves diamond bundle Plugins its worth it

Sinseer
10-14-2009, 04:13 AM
mixxing seems to be a really hard art...i just use a damn $20 mic and speakers no headphones atm lol and all i do master my vocals is a youtube video that i watched (a really helpful one might i add) and i seem to get legit quality...but j why did you stop using the first mic cos im thinking of just getting a samson co1u cos ive heard good things about it so why did you stop using that did it break or didnt you like the quality that was giving either?

J-Nesio
10-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Damn Zrack gave a whole years worth advice haha

Z RACK
10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
yeah its a whole year that i spent banging my head against the wall trying to figure this shit out so when anyone ask's about mixing i will gladly put aside some time to knowledge yeah ,,

Just C
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
I forgot all about this thread cause it was getting slept on when i posted it..First off thanks to those who took the time to check it out..Especially Z Rack...I havent had the chance to try your methods yet..but ima copy them and paste them in my word pad, Get the waves bundle and see what I can get done..When i'm done i'll send you what i've got so you can see about
mastering them..Regardless if it works or not (Though I got a good feeling it will) Cant tell you how greatfull I am for ya taking the time to help me out like this, you've allways been good like that..So ill get at you in a couple of days with a mix...@ sinseerI did have the c01ubut that was a couple years ago...The mic broke..I went back to computer mics (money issues) Ive started earning some nice money lately so I thought id get a decent mic...Went to dawsons with the intention of getting a studio mic.. but they didnt have any units for phantom power in stock...me being impatiant i was going to revert back to the co1u..but i seen the g track ..which is a samson too.. it costs a bit more had built in monitoring with no latency..So i thought it was the co1u with bells and whistles I got it home plugged it in.. recorded and there was all this background noise and my recordings was muffled..But because id allready opend it up and rapped into it.. the store wouldnt let me take it back for exchange or refund...So if you are going to get a usb mic ...steer well clear of the g-track and get your self a c01 or like z rack a c03..Thats the upgraded model with the cut off switches Z Racks talking about (Mine aint got them Z)...Later..And thanks

J-Nesio
10-14-2009, 10:04 PM
No Prob...hope all the advice given helps ya out

DrokProductions
10-14-2009, 10:25 PM
G-track is not really a mic that you would use for rapping. CO1U is OK but do you want to what is even better, the at3035. At3035 it is an amazing mic for rapping, you will just enjoy it.