PDA

View Full Version : Topical HoF Nomination: Dono

Locchart
04-09-2020, 08:29 PM
Afaik, the only multiple time Topical Champion of any kind on the site and if anyone deserves to be inducted in to the Hall of Fame for topicals, he’s probably the one I’d considered most of anyone else. Also held the LBTT Championship (Let’s Beef Text Topical), even if it was a short-lived title.

What say you guys to this?

Shodan
04-09-2020, 08:35 PM
We have a Topical HoF?

Locchart
04-09-2020, 08:35 PM
We have a Topical HoF?

No better time to start one, imo.

Kiwi Peewee
04-09-2020, 09:25 PM
Dono’s legacy also includes 2x One Bar tournaments; and his topical titles are across text and audio. He also made a GC final, I can’t remember if it was text or audio. Imo Dono’s legacy is too multi-faceted to necessarily just put him in one “Topical” HoF box. Honestly this is something that RULE probably needs to make a call on when he gets back, I’ve thought Dono deserved HOF for a long time but I still don’t know what the right thing to induct him for would be.

Locchart
04-09-2020, 09:29 PM
Dono’s legacy also includes 2x One Bar tournaments; and his topical titles are across text and audio. He also made a GC final, I can’t remember if it was text or audio. Imo Dono’s legacy is too multi-faceted to necessarily just put him in one “Topical” HoF box. Honestly this is something that RULE probably needs to make a call on when he gets back, I’ve thought Dono deserved HOF for a long time but I still don’t know what the right thing to induct him for would be.

That’s why I proposed this to also kickstart a Topical Hall of Fame. It isn’t fair to guys like Dono who, statistically speaking and writing wise, is the best topical battler the site’s ever had. He may have won 2 One Bar Championship Titles, but he was never considered a heavyweight as a text battler and wasn’t considered one as an audio battler, either.

IMO Dono’s legacy is very similar to Rowdy Punk’s. He has title wins outside of his strong suit on the site (One Bar while Punk has his Summer Throwdown), and has impressive wins over top names (Dono beat Bleu in an audio battle in 2014, and Punk just beat ALL-BORO in an audio battle just recently). Even with this in consideration, people don’t automatically think of Dono or Punk as audio or text battlers and they aren’t/weren’t considered top-tier names in either category, but they were the top names in their respective fields (topicals & track making) during their time of activity, and that aspect can’t be completely ignored.

EtH
04-10-2020, 05:05 AM
Personally I just don't think topicals ever mattered enough. As everyone knows I count very few of the tournaments as canon due to how horribly and biasedly they were run. Dono's were all won as legit as possible, however the competition level was just terrible on LB and voters didn't know their ass from their elbow. While I'd say every time Dono won it, they did have decent votes, you're talking only 2 of the topical champs (and about 3 of the topical battlers) actually having topical skill.

The Saaxxx Baba
04-10-2020, 12:39 PM
i dono shit about this and just wanted to say that so imma fuck off with pride now.

Rowdy
04-11-2020, 09:38 PM
That’s why I proposed this to also kickstart a Topical Hall of Fame. It isn’t fair to guys like Dono who, statistically speaking and writing wise, is the best topical battler the site’s ever had. He may have won 2 One Bar Championship Titles, but he was never considered a heavyweight as a text battler and wasn’t considered one as an audio battler, either.

IMO Dono’s legacy is very similar to Rowdy Punk’s. He has title wins outside of his strong suit on the site (One Bar while Punk has his Summer Throwdown), and has impressive wins over top names (Dono beat Bleu in an audio battle in 2014, and Punk just beat ALL-BORO in an audio battle just recently). Even with this in consideration, people don’t automatically think of Dono or Punk as audio or text battlers and they aren’t/weren’t considered top-tier names in either category, but they were the top names in their respective fields (topicals & track making) during their time of activity, and that aspect can’t be completely ignored.

Ha! This is actually not a bad comparison. Fairly great. I applaud lmao

DiZzReSpEkT
04-12-2020, 07:01 PM
Dono had the best topicals on the site styll. #Bringtopicalsback

Enfinite
04-17-2020, 01:06 AM
If there was ever such a thing Dono would be the first and probably only Id consider for it. Dude was a Topical juggernaught, only person I didnt want to run into during a Topical tourney.

RULE
04-17-2020, 03:15 AM
I think Dono being in the text HOF for Topical works could make sense?

Kiwi Peewee
04-17-2020, 04:53 AM
I think Dono being in the text HOF for Topical works could make sense?

His "Topical Championship" title is in audio though. I think he definitely would fit in the Text HOF under the current system but if there were any change to the system Dono seems like one of the main candidates for a different class of HOFer.

Esso
04-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Dono was absolutely dominant in topical and one bar formats for a few years...he just didn’t lose. I’d put him in under Text without blinking an eye and that’s not considering his audio highlights.

Manhattan
04-18-2020, 01:02 PM
Dono was absolutely dominant in topical and one bar formats for a few years...he just didn’t lose. I’d put him in under Text without blinking an eye and that’s not considering his audio highlights.

That's my opinion on this too. There's no need to put Dono in the misc HoF. He has earned the text HoF through his one bar and topicals that he dominated.

EtH
04-18-2020, 01:22 PM
I dunno if I can ever say "he earned HOF through one bars".

Student
04-18-2020, 02:48 PM
Most of his Topical wins were in Text so it makes sense to put him in the Text HOF.

Locchart
04-18-2020, 02:53 PM
Y’all are misunderstanding my OP. I was suggesting we make a Topical HoF section in general for people like Dono, not have him in the Text/Audio HoF section.

Kiwi Peewee
04-18-2020, 09:34 PM
Y’all are misunderstanding my OP. I was suggesting we make a Topical HoF section in general for people like Dono, not have him in the Text/Audio HoF section.

Given that the future of Topicals on LB is hypothetical at best, I believe you'd need to have a reasonable number of candidates who are deserving of HOF in their own right for topicals before creating such a category, and honestly I just don't think that's the case. If a more misc. type HOF for Site Impact were created Dono would fit into that for his impact on the topical scene across both text and audio as well as his one-bar successes and general battling impact.

If there are other people that would warrant a HOF induction for topicals; not people who might as well be in if there's gonna be a Topical HOF, but people who thoroughly deserve HOF in the context of the whole site and for whom a Topical HOF is the only realistic category, I'd love to see who they are to get better context.