PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on tournaments

Guts
11-11-2019, 04:13 PM
so, i've noticed that the quality of tournaments has been decaying rapidly this year, and not just that, but the turn out for these is also pretty slim, and on the audio side, it's always worse.

i propose the idea of ending all tournaments apart from the GC in both audio and text, as a temporary measure until activity picks up again.

EDIT:

i'm not opposed to running scheme, and concept type tournaments as forum tournaments, rather than official, but i still think turn out, and no shows would present the same problem.

Erupt da Monsta
11-11-2019, 04:19 PM
So do you think the scheme tourney etc intermediate to GC type tourneys would get a better turnout if we ran them in the forums?
Or boost activity/member engagement?

On a side note signups are looking nice so far for
The audio scheme tourney , sign up you can record on your phone!

https://www.letsbeef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168118

Guts
11-11-2019, 04:30 PM
well, the basic audio earlier in the year had 16, with 8 no shows in the first round. i think it's good to be hopeful, but i think aiming for 32 is the goal. at least that way if half of them no show, it's still 16.

i also think something needs to be done about no shows, because they really wind up hurting the whole tournament. if you had 4 quality guys no show round 1, then the whole tournament looks so much weaker.

tournaments are supposed to represent the best of the best, and competitiveness.

Óðinn
11-11-2019, 04:55 PM
The fact is... You can't make people battle. Things happen outside of LB, a thing called real life.

Removing/canceling tournaments now will only accomplish one thing at this point in time: kill the drive, motivation and 'spirit' (if you will) of the current members who are active on the site now.

The site is going through a rehaul phase, things are being fixed, new ranking system add with other aspects coming soon too, etc... activity will increase as the site improves.

At the end of the day, its an activity issue, removing the chance for members to win a tourney in a particular skill set that they feel they would flourish in i.e. Scheme vs GC, will deter said member(s) from sticking around.

Óðinn
11-11-2019, 04:58 PM
tournaments are supposed to represent the best of the best, and competitiveness.

Yes... The quality of the sites battlers always fluctuate from year to year. Each year, you will have a different level of skill on the site, the best of that year/time period of the site should not be "punished" by not having their chance at tournaments because they don't live up to a time of the site that has been and gone.

Erupt da Monsta
11-11-2019, 05:04 PM
2FUEL

How do you feel about the smaller tournaments being held in the forums. Aka not in the official brackets? User sends to user .

From my experience, forum tournaments that merit a title can have positive effects for activity and just overall forum activity.
As we have been running with the other method for years to no avail activity wise on the site, I don’t think it would hurt . Unless there is some significant drawback to it I’m not aware of.
I think it could potentially be beneficial to give it a shot for one intermediate tourney (still giving the orange title) to see the turnout and effect.

The idea of getting rid of tourneys I don’t agree with though.

Óðinn
11-11-2019, 05:20 PM
2FUEL

How do you feel about the smaller tournaments being held in the forums. Aka not in the official brackets? User sends to user .

From my experience, forum tournaments that merit a title can have positive effects for activity and just overall forum activity.
As we have been running with the other method for years to no avail activity wise on the site, I don’t think it would hurt . Unless there is some significant drawback to it I’m not aware of.
I think it could potentially be beneficial to give it a shot for one intermediate tourney (still giving the orange title) to see the turnout and effect.

The idea of getting rid of tourneys I don’t agree with though.

Oh I agree, fully... Forum tournaments create a buzz about the place. I've never been against them in all for them :high:

Brayne Ded
11-11-2019, 07:02 PM
I used to run like 2 to 3 forum tournaments a month as Brayne Ded. After a while I just stopped so the site could focus on official tournaments. It doesn't seem to matter what is running, participation isn't what it used to be.

Rican
11-13-2019, 12:24 AM
I don't agree with removing tournaments.

OGxCERBERUZ
11-13-2019, 01:19 AM
Removing tournaments would kill activity completely. I think that is the last thing LB needs to do.

IIAM
11-13-2019, 03:08 AM
I disagree with this idea.
Close it and let’s move on!