PDA

View Full Version : Edge's Boxing Style Scorecard

Edgeworth
01-16-2019, 01:42 PM
This is a new system that I'm going to try out for voting on text battles. (Well, it's new to me, people may have tried it in the past). The idea is going to be to judge a battle based on its punches by scoring them into different categories worth different points. Set-ups contribute to punch strength as you will see below. The battler who has better flow (or the smoother verse) will get an extra +1 point. Whoever has the most points wins and ties will be decided by preference.

Scoring Categories

3 Points - Knockout Punch

This is reserved for the best of the best punches. These are ones that had relevant and strong set ups combined with a very clever wordplay, nameflip, or metaphor that makes the punch hit super hard.

2 Points - Uppercut

This is for a good punch. It may have had something missing to not get the full 3 points like a weaker set up or maybe not as advanced of a wordplay or metaphor, but is still a dope line nonetheless.

1 Point - Jab

This is your average LB punch. Nothing spectacular, just does the trick.

0 Points - Filler

Lines that contribute nothing to the verse and are just generally not saying anything. Lines exclusively about self-hype or a cypher style line go into this, for example. Extremely played content can end up in the 0 or -1 bin, depending on how played and/or how bad the line is. For example I gave a Lowest Lane line a -1 because that's one of the oldest wordplays ever (not to mention doesnt work both ways). Something like "I'll bring the cans to you like a food drive" would get 0 as its really played but not reaching.

-1 Point - Reach

If you reach, you lose points. A forced wordplay or wording goes into this category.

-2 Points - Mega Reach

This is reserved for only the most egregious of reaches. Wordplays like Yoshimitsu / You'll See Missiles would earn the -2, as would any absolutely disgusting wording.

Bonus: 1 Point for the winner of the Flow category.

This thread is up to serve as a general guide to my voting system. I will link this thread in all battles I vote on so people can refer to this guide to see why I put their lines in certain categories. I'm trying to adjust the categories and provide more info as I go along and get a better feel for where I'm putting stuff.

joan of arc
01-16-2019, 01:56 PM
intuitive and dope.

Seul
01-16-2019, 02:06 PM
I like it!

EtH
01-16-2019, 02:11 PM
I mean, firstly, why isn't there a hook? Secondly, since when was reach a disadvantage in boxing?

Your metaphor is trash. 0 points - filler!

Aggo
01-16-2019, 02:14 PM
This is similar how I decide on verses that are too close to call with just a read through. I take the individual punches and give them a rate or pit opponant 1's strongest against opponant 2's strongest. Then the second strongest punches. Kind of like dice scoring in RISK.

Row
01-16-2019, 02:20 PM
u should give an example of each point

Edgeworth
01-16-2019, 03:32 PM
I mean, firstly, why isn't there a hook? Secondly, since when was reach a disadvantage in boxing?

Your metaphor is trash. 0 points - filler!

Not sure if you’re being serious, but there isn’t enough categories to incorporate all the punch types. Reach in the case of battle rap would be akin to an overextension in boxing (wildly whiffing on a punch and leaving yourself exposed to an attack), which is why it’s - points. If you really want you can think of 0 points as a block. Didn’t advance your position in the boxing match but didn’t get hurt either.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

u should give an example of each point

Yeah I’m trying to build a few examples as I go through and actually vote on battles and get a feel for where I’m putting stuff.

EtH
01-16-2019, 06:19 PM
You didnt know if I was joking....what has happened to you Edgeville?

Shodan
01-16-2019, 10:28 PM
I might try this, if only to make voting require less effort and therefore give me slightly more motivation to do it.

To be clear, I think strict voting systems like this never result in really good votes because judging a battle is an intuitive process that can't be represented with a rubric of any of kind. A scorecard can result in decent votes though.

Locchart
01-16-2019, 10:36 PM
I might try this, if only to make voting require less effort and therefore give me slightly more motivation to do it.

To be clear, I think strict voting systems like this never result in really good votes because judging a battle is an intuitive process that can't be represented with a rubric of any of kind. A scorecard can result in decent votes though.

The question is: Would you rather have more consistent decent votes or great quality votes that are hardly ever seen?

Shodan
01-16-2019, 10:52 PM
The question is: Would you rather have more consistent decent votes or great quality votes that are hardly ever seen?

Yes

Edgeworth
01-17-2019, 12:29 AM

Yeah I can agree with that, and I’m just trying it out. I’m still going to vote on tourney battles how I normally do, for example, to keep those super high quality votes. I was hoping that the scorecard would both help uncertain/inconsistent voters make more sense of how to judge a battle. Also, it helps the battlers understand why you think they lost when they can see which of their lines got into which categories. Just something to mess around with for now.