PDA

View Full Version : Tourney Idea

Row
08-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Consider this a revised version of the Topical Tournament...

Poetry is an art, and a unique one at that. On here we stress battling, people come here to not only obtain skill in it, but to enhance it if they already are familiar with it. The same should be for poetry, spoken word.

Poetry is a type of literary art form that can be associated with a whole array of ideas and emotions. Many poets throughout history have incorporated their political views and their personal thoughts through the use of poetry and this trend continues. Poems about life in general have sparked the interests of many throughout the world and this also continues to happen through poetry today. Many poems about art have also been created to describe the feeling one gets from taking in a particularly stunning piece of artwork. Creating your own art through poetry can be an experience that brings a sense of self accomplishment and pride to your life. The simple act of picking up a pen and pad to write down whatever you are feeling can also be a very liberating experience that can free your mind of many of the worries of everyday life.

To sum this up.. I know topicals have been dead for quite a while, But instead of just ridding it, why don't we just change it from sticking to a given topic, to just sheer poetry/spoken word... not being restricted to a topic but choosing our own. I haven't figured out an appropriate but cool name for it yet, but I'm sure all of you are capable of writing something not related to battling. I'm sure this will bring at least one person to this site.

Aggo
08-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Sounds like picking 2 random cyphers and deciding which is better. Im not opposed to the idea, but it sounds like it needs some structure.

exwhyzee
08-03-2017, 02:17 PM
An open mic in the forums, top voted emcees face off in topical battles, 1st place gets such & such, 2nd gets fuck knows what

Row
08-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Sounds like picking 2 random cyphers and deciding which is better. Im not opposed to the idea, but it sounds like it needs some structure.

Except cyphers are usually about self hype, or dissing someone. It doesn't evoke emotion and usually has no grace as a poem/spoken word would. Plus, with that section of the site being dead anyway, it should just merge nicely into an annual tournament. Give everyone a break from reading or writing battle bars and focus on the aesthetics of word play and intonation and voice inflection

As far as structure , it can be made with the same or similar foundation as poetry slams

X-Calibur
08-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Good luck

Student
08-03-2017, 03:58 PM
If there's a way to integrate a live, mobile friendly, chatroom with audio capability on the site, that would help this idea imo.

Nerdism
08-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Yea I like this idea, would be good to read a few non battle bars here an there

Mind Fuck
08-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Consider this a revised version of the Topical Tournament...

Poetry is an art, and a unique one at that. On here we stress battling, people come here to not only obtain skill in it, but to enhance it if they already are familiar with it. The same should be for poetry, spoken word.

Poetry is a type of literary art form that can be associated with a whole array of ideas and emotions. Many poets throughout history have incorporated their political views and their personal thoughts through the use of poetry and this trend continues. Poems about life in general have sparked the interests of many throughout the world and this also continues to happen through poetry today. Many poems about art have also been created to describe the feeling one gets from taking in a particularly stunning piece of artwork. Creating your own art through poetry can be an experience that brings a sense of self accomplishment and pride to your life. The simple act of picking up a pen and pad to write down whatever you are feeling can also be a very liberating experience that can free your mind of many of the worries of everyday life.

To sum this up.. I know topicals have been dead for quite a while, But instead of just ridding it, why don't we just change it from sticking to a given topic, to just sheer poetry/spoken word... not being restricted to a topic but choosing our own. I haven't figured out an appropriate but cool name for it yet, but I'm sure all of you are capable of writing something not related to battling. I'm sure this will bring at least one person to this site.

I believe this is a wonderful idea and let's beef is in need in some sort of rebirth even if it is in the form of creating a new type of tournament. Battling is dope and all biut poetry takes it to a form of art and I believe there are many capable Mcs of making more than dope poetry.

It also open up a spectrum to a whole different type ofber, making let's beef a little more alive again. I for one support this idea.

Me personally, ive always really enjoyed writing poetry. It lets you express a different part of yourself that battling an opponent does not allow, I mean it leaves room for creativity but it does not allow one to touch upon things such as: feelings, genuine thoughts.. it gives the writer platform to display his deepest secrets disguised in verse which I find to be a revelation

EtH
08-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Ima join and recycle everything.

Erupt da Monsta
08-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Good idea. Needs more structure