PDA

View Full Version : If You've Got Flames You're Doing it Wrong

Nicholas
03-21-2017, 07:54 AM
I know this is ironic as I've got flames but that's what sparked this thought. Let's be real if you're here reading this your goals are GC titles and maybe even HOF. Your goal isn't no. 1 all time.

If you want to get better you have to face the best opponents you can find. They will force you to write your best work, and that's how you get better. You'll probably take a lot of losses for a while but in reality beyond a cursory glance no one gives a fuck, they rate you based on performance. And if it bothers you that much get really good then ghost and come back as a multi account.

If you're winning loads of battles in a row and your name isn't UA you're stagnant as fuck. Go catch some losses...

Wisdom dropped. 1.

Rant
03-21-2017, 11:02 AM
I recently had flames, from a streak including wins over Wavedash and Esso, though. Lol. So, I mean, having flames doesn't necessarily mean you're doing it wrong. The caliber of the opponents that got you those flames does.

EtH
03-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Goals are different. MaCc convinces himself GC's mean nothing and #1 all time is important, but we all know he's just convincing himself this stuff because it fits to his "agenda". But when you boil it all down,. the dude just fucking loves battling and wants to battle constantly. The thrill of seeing the voting going your way is what's exciting for MaCc, whether it's a top battle or just a quick throwaway with a nobody, and fair fucks to him if he enjoys that it's up to him.

Babylon
03-21-2017, 01:45 PM
I know this is ironic as I've got flames but that's what sparked this thought. Let's be real if you're here reading this your goals are GC titles and maybe even HOF. Your goal isn't no. 1 all time.

If you want to get better you have to face the best opponents you can find. They will force you to write your best work, and that's how you get better. You'll probably take a lot of losses for a while but in reality beyond a cursory glance no one gives a fuck, they rate you based on performance. And if it bothers you that much get really good then ghost and come back as a multi account.

If you're winning loads of battles in a row and your name isn't UA you're stagnant as fuck. Go catch some losses...

Wisdom dropped. 1.

yep. Forever I was just dropping swaths of average audio opens thinking I was heavyweight as fuck, an somewhere along the ride it just clicked that nobody else is going to join in on that opinion until I began beating others who already hold that status. Seems painfully obvious now, it's just funny how you can convince yourself of things.

I might lose these flames once the GC ends (hell maybe even before that) but I'll sure as fuck be facing some awesome people on the way.

HIGHpothasis
03-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Goals are different. MaCc convinces himself GC's mean nothing and #1 all time is important, but we all know he's just convincing himself this stuff because it fits to his "agenda". But when you boil it all down,. the dude just fucking loves battling and wants to battle constantly. The thrill of seeing the voting going your way is what's exciting for MaCc, whether it's a top battle or just a quick throwaway with a nobody, and fair fucks to him if he enjoys that it's up to him.

Nick FUCK YOU and I mean that shit from my Bottom Of My Fucking soul. I Never Had anything to say negative About you and this post is a CLEAR FUCKING shot At me. Why tho? U know What it Dosent even matter. But Honestly, you just Opened my eyes to why SNAKES are Green.

But Eth, this is honestly the Best Diagram Of my Positioning and You said it Almost with 100% Effeciency. This is Exactly who I am and thats Exactly why I do it. I'm DEF. Making this a Quote for My sig. Preciate it.

Nicholas
03-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Nick FUCK YOU and I mean that shit from my Bottom Of My Fucking soul. I Never Had anything to say negative About you and this post is a CLEAR FUCKING shot At me. Why tho? U know What it Dosent even matter. But Honestly, you just Opened my eyes to why SNAKES are Green.

But Eth, this is honestly the Best Diagram Of my Positioning and You said it Almost with 100% Effeciency. This is Exactly who I am and thats Exactly why I do it. I'm DEF. Making this a Quote for My sig. Preciate it.

Uhhh what? This is in no way aimed at anyone. As EtH said if your goal isn't GC's or HOF this thread isn't for you.

Shodan
03-21-2017, 02:14 PM
UA is a terrible writer by today's standards, but realistically having flames doesn't make you bad. If you're the best on the site by a wide margin (I don't think any current user is, but speaking hypothetically), you can have flames and still be the best. It's thinking that flames themselves clearly signify a great achievement that's bad.

EtH
03-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Yeah I'm sure you're totally better than UA.

Shodan
03-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Yeah I'm sure you're totally better than UA.

You know not what truth you speak

EtH
03-21-2017, 02:31 PM
It's totally everyone else's own bias that doesn't recognize how great you are, and how bad all the people they actually do recognize as good are. Totally that.

Tell me more about how "complex" your bars are. That's a positive aspect of battling. Absolutely. Complexity. The less the reader gets, the harder it hits.

captchabarz
03-21-2017, 02:37 PM
The less the reader gets, the harder it hits.

I lol'ed

Complexity is useless if you cant execute/word the bar properly. A bar with an average metaphor/wordplay with a clean execution is much better than a bar with heavy wordplay with batshit ass execution.

Nicholas
03-21-2017, 03:23 PM
UA is a terrible writer by today's standards, but realistically having flames doesn't make you bad. If you're the best on the site by a wide margin (I don't think any current user is, but speaking hypothetically), you can have flames and still be the best. It's thinking that flames themselves clearly signify a great achievement that's bad.

You don't measure greatness in today's standards.

Aggo
03-21-2017, 03:38 PM
I lol'ed

Complexity is useless if you cant execute/word the bar properly. A bar with an average metaphor/wordplay with a clean execution is much better than a bar with heavy wordplay with batshit ass execution.

Dude marksm3n is literally in my IM's right now saying LB voters are ass and what does "cleaner read even mean". I don't get how people don't understand this.

"theres no sence in stateing the obvious a buncha dumb fucks u cant fix stupid now im not expecting errybody to vote in my favor no not at all but when u explain a vote an it says a "cleaner read" thats dumb as fuck" -Marksm3n.

That's from like an hour ago.

Shodan
03-21-2017, 04:07 PM
You don't measure greatness in today's standards.

So you admit that I'd easily win a GC if this site were at 2010 standards?

Nicholas
03-21-2017, 04:23 PM
So you admit that I'd easily win a GC if this site were at 2010 standards?

Honestly I haven't read enough of your stuff but most of the Olympic level 100m runners would win gold easily 20 - 30 years ago. It's kind of an irrelevant point. You think if UA was around now within 6 months he wouldn't be one of the best battlers on the site?

I'm not having a go at you at all but it strikes me as such a stupid point when people say they would easily beat these greats from years ago.

MaCc Da G0D
03-21-2017, 04:40 PM
- Why Even Discuss These 'Supposed' GREATS? thats What i Dont Get About The Shitheads That Remain Here. There is NO NEED to Compare What Anyone is Doing NOW Or anyones Achievements To That 'GOLDEN ERA' because Those Guys are NEVER coming Back and No One will EVER be able to match Their Level of Achievement Bkus Times Have Changed. People Need Not Be Expecting Those Accomplishments to be Replicated And WIPE THEIR MEMORY BOARD Clean And Allow THIS Generation to Be Judged and Praised For the Accomplishments of Today....

*Drops The Fuccin Mic*

Student
03-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Ayy thought they weren't doing mod green in titles^

CakedOut
03-21-2017, 05:39 PM
the best 2 mcs aren't in the hof or grand champions.. Just have fun. It really doesn't matter tho, voting comes down to preference. If you want to be honest, tell them the truth. If you have a URL style you won't succeed here. This site is full of nerds whose in love with multis, best styled for kotd. When it's close battles, people drop close battle damn could go either way but if you have a close battle with a guy who already has a title, your losing. Ex, my gc battle with Askari dudes said it was close than the results dropped and it's a different story lmao let that shit go rap like how you want to rap, 95% of the site don't have they own style cause they listen to idiots in threads about flow, lost because you follow blind leaders. If you want to better change everything your doing and try something new or you can be like row and wait til your 50 so you can beat everyone with your wisdom

Shodan
03-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Ayy thought they weren't doing mod green in titles^

you can tell the difference if you look really closely

it is retarded though :monkey:

Student
03-21-2017, 06:57 PM
you can tell the difference if you look really closely

it is retarded though :monkey:
If I didn't have him blocked I would've been like wait Macc's a mod?
and wow yeah, the BB code is #00FF00 for mod and Macc's is #10E033 but that's dumb close.

HIGHpothasis
03-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Yes, don't you Just Fuccin love my Green title?

captchabarz
03-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Honestly I haven't read enough of your stuff but most of the Olympic level 100m runners would win gold easily 20 - 30 years ago. It's kind of an irrelevant point. You think if UA was around now within 6 months he wouldn't be one of the best battlers on the site?

I'm not having a go at you at all but it strikes me as such a stupid point when people say they would easily beat these greats from years ago.

Isnt it unfair to say that todays battlers are better than the ones that battled back in 07-010?

The concepts used back then were obviously fresh and had the wow factor. If we use the same concepts now, itd be played. So its unfair to judge them according to that.

I would read a hundred UA verses over some complicated crappy bullshit that isnt worded right just to make it look like its "complex". These dudes try hard to be like Chilla Jones and Daylyt but dont set their bars up in a readable way which in turn affects the readability. A dope concept is useless if it isnt executed right.

And I also think its unfair that credit is given to todays battlers when they beat a HOF who was active in their era. Most of us dont transition well because frankly we either stop battling or lose interest. You beating them in their prime in a neutral era would actually speak volumes. Thats why i find it to be bs when people compare todays battlers to the old heads.

HIGHpothasis
03-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Isnt it unfair to say that todays battlers are better than the ones that battled back in 07-010?

The concepts used back then were obviously fresh and had the wow factor. If we use the same concepts now, itd be played. So its unfair to judge them according to that.

I would read a hundred UA verses over some complicated crappy bullshit that isnt worded right just to make it look like its "complex". These dudes try hard to be like Chilla Jones and Daylyt but dont set their bars up in a readable way which in turn affects the readability. A dope concept is useless if it isnt executed right.

And I also think its unfair that credit is given to todays battlers when they beat a HOF who was active in their era. Most of us dont transition well because frankly we either stop battling or lose interest. You beating them in their prime in a neutral era would actually speak volumes. Thats why i find it to be bs when people compare todays battlers to the old heads.

This Man is slightly Genius. Factsssss!!!

STRONTIUM
03-22-2017, 05:48 PM
I agree that it's unfair to compare in some regards. Like it's unfair to compare Scientific or MJ's skillset to Fidel Z, cause Fidel is much better. But those two can't be disregarded as legends because of their timeline and how it was then.

That being said, when people discuss UA, Jason, DaDDiO, Askari etc. they often don't do this. You can read their best battles now and still say "Man that's dope". People often read with the intention of disliking the verse, and for example almost everyone things their opponent's verse sucked because they read it with those kind of eyes. But if you allowed yourself to read things openly, someone like UA was delivering hard hitting punchlines cleanly, and that's all that mattered. It's true that it's more difficult to come up with fresh concepts now because a lot of stuff is played, so perhaps a likewise accomplishment these days deserves more credit, but there's very few people here now putting together the streaks some of those other guys were against the level of competition they were.

captchabarz
03-22-2017, 06:06 PM
I agree that it's unfair to compare in some regards. Like it's unfair to compare Scientific or MJ's skillset to Fidel Z, cause Fidel is much better. But those two can't be disregarded as legends because of their timeline and how it was then.

That being said, when people discuss UA, Jason, DaDDiO, Askari etc. they often don't do this. You can read their best battles now and still say "Man that's dope". People often read with the intention of disliking the verse, and for example almost everyone things their opponent's verse sucked because they read it with those kind of eyes. But if you allowed yourself to read things openly, someone like UA was delivering hard hitting punchlines cleanly, and that's all that mattered. It's true that it's more difficult to come up with fresh concepts now because a lot of stuff is played, so perhaps a likewise accomplishment these days deserves more credit, but there's very few people here now putting together the streaks some of those other guys were against the level of competition they were.

I agree with you to a certain extent.

Back then in their time, the concepts they used were fresh back then. The same concepts got played over the course of years. So now, in 2017, obviously if you go back and read their verses, itll sound played and basic to someone like Shodan. I remember when UA dropped the Ovary Action/Over reaction wordplay and the site went bonkers over that back then. You drop that shit now and youll get laughed at for dropping played stuff.

Only certain people are able to drop timeless verses. Like Daddio and Jason. Their concepts which they used back in 2008-2012 would still make jaws drop. UA basically had the basics down to a T and thats what matters. He didnt overcomplicate shit for no reason and delivered the punch cleanly. His concepts might not necessarily be timeless but you could learn a lot from him when it comes to execution and wording of a bar.

perhaps a likewise accomplishment these days deserves more credit

Eh not exactly. Concepts are basically or mostly formed around current events happening around the world. Obviously even now, there are mad events that a battler could reference to and make a dope concept out of it. Its the same as back in 2008-2010.

EtH
03-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Agree about both. UA's problem to some reading back is that we've had several years for someone to come up with, or bite, similar concepts. But when you hear it for the first time, and it's delivered dopely, it hits. That's what's important.

Current events is true, but remember the world's been around a lot longer than the time between 2007 and 2017. While there's endless things to do punches about, the odds of stumbling onto something already said are high unless you are using 2017 exclusive references.

RULE
03-23-2017, 03:40 AM
:popcorn:

S A L T
03-23-2017, 04:18 AM
Tbh to trail off what that one dude's saying, a big part of my inactivity on LB at first was people getting carried away with complexity in the text arena. I liked the 07–10 steez better. Personally, I don't think there's any active battler's that could confidently say they're even somewhat better than any of the HOFers from a few years ago. On the other hand, I've only been reading a handful of recents.

EtH
03-23-2017, 10:30 AM
There's another aspect on top of being basic and simple. That's finding a style that suits you, finding a way to have confidence and, for lack of a less faggoty term, "swagger" in your verse. Some guys at the top do this by finding ways around saying like/as/than for example.

But the problem today is that people are trying all of this top flight stuff without ever mastering the basics. Guys are fucking up very small simple to fix things all the time in pursuit of fancier aspects. In talking about this, guys have told me before that they too have cut out like/as/than. My response to them is typically "Show me a clean bar you've spit even with them though". If you can't deliver a punch simply and cleanly using the basic stuff, why are you moving onto the advanced stuff?

Bleu
03-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Let's not pretend the old heads shit wasn't forced.. Especially their wordplay because making wp work both ways is a concept that was only understood / valued fairly recently. People still haven't caught on really.

S A L T
03-23-2017, 03:18 PM
Yea everyone's game is rough at times, regardless of the generation. I agree with you Schnerch, I also accept that my perspective on the text arena might be a bit different as well. I read these verses expecting them to sound good as a vocalization. Textcee's been getting visually poetic which I often find corny or forced. I think a more narrative frame of mind would help a lot of battler's verses. Every bar should somewhat be cohesive, there's a lot of jumping around and trying to fill in as much wordplay, metaphors, etc. as possible. It's important to be creative, but the overall verse should be wholesome.

NOBLE
03-23-2017, 07:40 PM
UA was dope. Daddio was nice with it. Some of the other ones I've seen mentioned in this thread were overrated as fuck imo. And how come when there's discussion of the greats, the conversation is heavily skewed toward texters? When I think of LB greats, I think of Real Talk, Conceited SIXX-SHOTT, Swavy and Swisha.

Aggo
03-23-2017, 07:45 PM
I wasn't around for the old old head eras but as far as battling goes the dopest I've crossed paths with is definitely Stricc.

EtH
03-24-2017, 08:39 AM
So everyones straight up not even reading the op?

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Let's not pretend the old heads shit wasn't forced.. Especially their wordplay because making wp work both ways is a concept that was only understood / valued fairly recently. People still haven't caught on really.

Read some nawkout or jacoby for wordplay hilarity haha.

That concept has obly really been verbalized recently for sure. I remember I used to have big arguments with rican about it anf people rarely got what I meant.