PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas's Book Club

Nicholas
02-28-2017, 06:59 AM
I've been reading recently (just online) about Dread Pirate Roberts's Book Club on The Silk Road and it's inspired me to want to start one here. I think it would be wise to focus mainly on non-fiction and content that is likely to be useful to a large majority of us. I think it would be great as a resource to transcend this platform and aid everyone with their own self-development.

I'm going to get this going with Bringing Out The Best In People by Aubrey Daniels . I believe this was on DPR's list initially but I can't seem to find the source that backs that up now. This book has far more applications than it's title would lead you to believe. It's primarily geared towards business but it applies to interacting with anyone and details how to use reward systems to influence others. In fact, I think Letsbeef itself could gain much from the content in here.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Pqh9rtCwL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I haven't decided upon what frequency would be best in terms of adding a new book. Instead I think I will see how popular this is and gauge it based on it's performance. As a side-note this book is also available on Audible so those of you that prefer audiobooks can find it there.

Let me know if you're interested in getting involved.

Aggo
02-28-2017, 07:03 AM
I'll read this if you change your name to Oprah.

Thug Killaa
02-28-2017, 07:12 AM
I'm in

Nicholas
02-28-2017, 07:19 AM
I'm in

Props, how are you going about it Paperback or Audible? I've got a thing for Audible at the moment. I drive a lot so it's useful for that. I still read paperbacks though when I get the chance.

Thug Killaa
02-28-2017, 07:20 AM
Props, how are you going about it Paperback or Audible? I've got a thing for Audible at the moment. I drive a lot so it's useful for that. I still read paperbacks though when I get the chance.

Audible. I already found a link for it. Will listen to it when I'm either working out or having my meals

Nicholas
02-28-2017, 07:34 AM
In the meantime to inspire some of you to start reading I really like this guys animation breakdowns of books. Here's one of his videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDsHnNc3sC4

Shodan
02-28-2017, 11:47 PM
As ridiculous as this idea sounds for a rap battle site, your favorite Higher Ed Prof is in

Nicholas
03-01-2017, 03:04 AM
As ridiculous as this idea sounds for a rap battle site, your favorite Higher Ed Prof is in

Dope to have you on board Shodan!

Godbody
03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
I read about a book a month. I at least try to. I used to hit up the book store on a monthly basis and browse for books I might like, take a picture of them, and download the ebook...But..I work on computer screens all day and I frequent a ton of sites, so my eyesight is getting fucked up. I prefer a paperback copy now. or Audible if I have a long commute to NYC

But the books I read are all Occult/Philosophical & Business related

Develop Your Psychic Skills by Enid Hoffman
The Secret Teachings Of The Tao Te Ching by Mantak Chia
Mystic Qabalah by Dion Fortune (Rare as fuck & you probably have to order this online like I did cuz the PDF version has errors )
Numerology: A Complete Guide to Understanding and Using Your Numbers of Destiny by Hans Decoz (havent read it, I skim through it from time to time)

And I have more books on Wicca, alchemy, and a bunch of other occult topics but I can't list them all. All the books I listed are paperbacks I purchased in the last 4-5 months

On the business end I read books like

Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and Sharon Lechter
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing by Al Ries and Jack Trout (You can easily find this for free in pdf form)
The Small Business Bible by Steven Strauss (another book I just skim through for reference)

Nicholas
03-01-2017, 12:13 PM
I read about a book a month. I at least try to. I used to hit up the book store on a monthly basis and browse for books I might like, take a picture of them, and download the ebook...But..I work on computer screens all day and I frequent a ton of sites, so my eyesight is getting fucked up. I prefer a paperback copy now. or Audible if I have a long commute to NYC

But the books I read are all Occult/Philosophical & Business related

Develop Your Psychic Skills by Enid Hoffman
The Secret Teachings Of The Tao Te Ching by Mantak Chia
Mystic Qabalah by Dion Fortune (Rare as fuck & you probably have to order this online like I did cuz the PDF version has errors )
Numerology: A Complete Guide to Understanding and Using Your Numbers of Destiny by Hans Decoz (havent read it, I skim through it from time to time)

And I have more books on Wicca, alchemy, and a bunch of other occult topics but I can't list them all. All the books I listed are paperbacks I purchased in the last 4-5 months

On the business end I read books like

Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and Sharon Lechter
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing by Al Ries and Jack Trout (You can easily find this for free in pdf form)
The Small Business Bible by Steven Strauss (another book I just skim through for reference)

You know I think the occult stuff is silly but I'm glad you're reading all the same. I intend to read more business books, I've read a few but would like to read more. In fact I almost made the first book Why Didn't They Teach Me This In School by Cary Siegel which is a personal finance book which I really enjoyed.

I'm self-employed so building my business up and so it's important to accumulate this kind of knowledge.

Godbody
03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
I work a part time job and have my side hustle so I always read up on business. And the occult isn't silly at all. The occultists run the world. Conspiracy shit aside, you read books & you study symbols. And then when you see the symbols everywhere, and you hear powerful people alluding to occult themes you've read about, then you know you're not just wasting your time with the occult. It's obviously been doing something for some of these powerful people. So I want to know what they know, because I'm obsessed with information

I check the WallStreet Journal, stocks, CNNMoney, ESPN, BleacherReport, BGR, TechRadar, Engadget, so many sites every day just for information while I'm at work. That definitely has a lot to do with my eyes being fucked up and why I share so much information that ya'll think is crazy. My problem is I don't know what order to present the shit to ya'll in.

Nicholas
03-06-2017, 09:23 AM
How's everyone getting on with this? I finished a few days ago. The audiobook is relatively short.

The Einstein
03-06-2017, 09:38 AM
I'll check this out. I make it a habit to read everyday.

If your into psychology this is a great book.
"The Lucifer Effect"

Also,
"Nurture shock: The new thinking about children"
This one is about child development, but still very interesting.

I've read about a million business and investment books as well.

Nicholas
03-06-2017, 12:36 PM
I'll check this out. I make it a habit to read everyday.

If your into psychology this is a great book.
"The Lucifer Effect"

Also,
"Nurture shock: The new thinking about children"
This one is about child development, but still very interesting.

I've read about a million business and investment books as well.

Would love your thoughts. Those both sound interesting, I'll check them out.

Babylon
03-06-2017, 02:10 PM
In the meantime to inspire some of you to start reading I really like this guys animation breakdowns of books. Here's one of his videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDsHnNc3sC4

Very good video, subscribed to this guy. S/o for linking

Nicholas
03-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Very good video, subscribed to this guy. S/o for linking

No problem, I like them too. Those Ryan Holiday books look worth a read too.

Rant
03-06-2017, 02:19 PM
I'd like to suggest a book.

Personality Disorders in Modern Life 2ND ED - Theodore Millon

Shodan
03-06-2017, 02:29 PM
I'd like to suggest a book.

Personality Disorders in Modern Life 2ND ED - Theodore Millon

I memorized the entirety of the DSM-IV-TR in one sitting. (Not that DSM-V garbage).

Nicholas
03-06-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm currently reading H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald and Magician by Raymond Feist whilst you guys catch up and read this book. Both have been good reads so far.