PDA

View Full Version : The Science Behind Rap Music

Celsius
02-25-2017, 12:40 AM
IN THIS THREAD WE BREAK RAP DOWN TO ITS ROOTS AND DISSECT IT FOR ALL TO SEE THE FOUNDATION BEHIND THIS THING WE KNOW AND LOVE CALLED RAP MUSIC. ANY ONE CAN ADD TO THE LIST, OR EVEN CORRECT ME OR REPHRASE WHAT I SAID UNTIL WE GET A FINAL COPY. LETS TRY AND TOUCH BASE ON ALL ASPECTS FROM PICKING A BEAT TO THE FINAL MIXING AND MASTERING (WHICH I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT) I'LL START IT OFF WITH A COUPLE POINTS:

Instrumental: There are many different beats with different time signatures, usually the typical rap beat uses a 4/4 time signature which means 1 beat = 1 quarter note and 4 beats = 1 bar.

Rapping on a beat: The beat is sort of like a dance partner. sometimes you land before it, sometimes after and sometimes you're right in tune with each other. What I mean by this is either starting before the 1st kick drum and leaning in, starting right when the kick drum starts or starting your verse just after the kick drum, it all depends on your cadence and tempo of the beat. Another way to ride the beat, although uncommon is to just pick one instrument from the beat and match the rhythm the whole way through.

Tempo of the beat: Speed of the beat, Higher the tempo the faster the beat, the less syllables you'll be able to fit in between bars.

Writing techniques: write to the tempo of the beat, scatting (put on a beat and just spit gibberish and flow naturally with the beat, record yourself and then go back and fit the gibberish into words)

Techniques: The maximum amount of syllables per bar for the standard 4/4 rap beat would be 16. Though remember to leave room for breath breaks and remember NOT all syllables are the same. Stressed syllables take up more room on the beat then non stressed.

Recording: There are two ways to record, do the entire song in ONE TAKE or stop every x amount of bars and pick up again. There's no right or wrong way, whatever works best for you.

TO BE CONTINUED

Rant
02-25-2017, 01:26 AM
>science

:wtf:

Godbody
02-25-2017, 01:55 AM
That was gay

Celsius
02-25-2017, 01:57 AM
>science

:wtf:

Your avatar looks exactly how your gf's vagina looked when she spread.

:grass:

Seriously though idk what else to call it

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

I'm gay

I don't hate you any less or any more.

Supsie
02-25-2017, 04:58 AM
That was gay

Lmfao

Shodan
02-25-2017, 10:50 PM
I'm interested by this thread's concept. I don't think I have much to contribute to it though, especially about the "music" part, as opposed to the "battle" part.