PDA

View Full Version : Wording issues

Thug Killaa
02-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Most of you on here have the shittiest execution of concepts/ideas. No doubt, Ive seen some dope concepts used by some of the active battlers on here but most of them are useless if they aren't delivered properly.

Heres an example-

" Fybre Optikz, you're just GAY AND A MORON, saying "Give me nothing but the D!" so here's your FAILING REPORT CARD; "

Besides it being filler, calling someone Gay and a moron is just awkward. The build up doesn't connect to the punchline and doesn't pack a concept in itself so its rendered useless/filler.

Secondly, if you're a text battler and still use terms like "whack, faggot, lame, trash, gay" and so on, just to complete your multi set, Its most likely filler and doesn't hold any weight.

Heres another example-

i'll show em that this LAME'S NOT A TOUGH PUNK n have his "dawg come n pick up this dead weight" like i SPRAYED SHOTS in DUCK HUNT

The punchline is decent but would you really say that build up line as a regular statement to someone in person?

The thing is I picked those two bars randomly from two "top tiers" and if you guys are going to set an example for the noobs, avoid this BS.

Yall need to chop your bar down and revise it as much as you can, before you post it. Don't force shit because in the end it would just make your bar look sloppy as fuck.

Honestly Eth and Esso have some of the cleanest wording and execution stringed with creative concepts amongst the active battlers at the moment. But if youre sacrificing your execution or wording for creativity or vice versa, it would just make your bar average at best.

That is all.

Nicholas
02-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Preach it Roh.

Shodan
02-20-2017, 01:40 PM
I picked those two bars randomly from two "top tiers"

Since when has anyone considered me "top tier"

Thug Killaa
02-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Since when has anyone considered me "top tier"

You're in the FVC and have a W over some current vets. The sad part is you being in the FVC and still dropping forced stuff like the one that i just quoted. Sometimes less is more, you try to cram a lot of things into one bar, making it sloppy as fuck.

I mean you're in the FVC, you should know better.

Shodan
02-20-2017, 01:43 PM
You're in the FVC and have a W over some current vets. The sad part is you being in the FVC and still dropping forced stuff like the one that i just quoted. Sometimes less is more, you try to cram a lot of things into one bar, making it sloppy as fuck.

I mean you're in the FVC, you should know better.

The FVC doesn't exist anymore, I just gave myself the title in the control panel so I could see people's previous usernames. It's apparently open to anyone actually

Doubt
02-20-2017, 01:43 PM
NonEtHiCaL is garbage. He talks trash to everyone but doesn't even beat middleweights and takes L's from them constantly. All he does is take credit's for other's accomplishments and attributes himself to their elevation.

Thug Killaa
02-20-2017, 01:47 PM
NonEtHiCaL is garbage. He talks trash to everyone but doesn't even beat middleweights and takes L's from them constantly. All he does is take credit's for other's accomplishments and attributes himself to their elevation.

I just used him as an example because his bars are clean and not forced unlike most of the bars here. Thats a fundamental that many over here are yet to master.

Esso
02-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the mention on the good end....co-sign opinion on Eth's wording...its always clear. TBH, just read the shit out loud before ya hit send....it should read like an accapella battle verse...that is what text is supposed to imitate, right?

EtH
02-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Really, to be the best you should be counting your syllables in entire lines and shit. I've never went to that effort but I know topical wise, a lot of the best really focus on it and it definitely comes off flow wise.

What Rohan's saying about my bars is that they are simple. I've never understood the meaning of being "complex". That's a mainstay word on Letsbeef as a positive. For me there's a more appropriate word; unpredictability.

Complexity implies that it's not easy to get. It requires attention to detail, noticing little points, perhaps having to re-read to understand elements. But this is a battle. When you watch a live battle, who wants to have to rewind to get a line? And if you do, who actually feels the full impact of it? You never would. It has to come off first time, boom, headshot. That's why expos are typically a weaker aspect to rely on to.

Unpredictability however is different. I always talk down on this "reference style", but after a 2 and a half lines before the main punch, and I've read like 3 references already, typically...I know the punch before it even comes. It's not a surprise. I see it now. So when it hits, I knew it was going to, weakening it.

I think that people need to rely on the merit of their bars. It's harder now because so much has been done. Something becomes played every day. But also, new things happen every day, opening the opportunities for topical bars and punchlines.

Instead of thinking "How do I deliver this in an original way to make it harder hitting?", simply make sure the punchline will hit hard no matter what beforehand. Then, once your idea and concept are aligned, deliver it in the absolute most simple way possible. Hard hitting punch, delivered cleanly, boom, job done.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Esso, a problem with reading it out loud beforehand is that people tend to alter their pace, tempo and timing to their own suiting. Sometimes I saw a topical written to a beat, and I was like "How the fuck do I know when you speed up and when you dont?". When Snoop says "Aint nothing but a G thing baby", he says Baby in a completely different way to the rest, a different tempo and an elongated way. Readers would never pick up on that. So if you can get a basic balance down, then reading it out loud works, but it's not exactly as simple as just doing it.

Row
02-20-2017, 06:50 PM
This shit is all subjective

And fvc doesn't mean shit , especially8 when talking about Shodan

EtH
02-20-2017, 07:05 PM
It's not all subjective. There are specific technical aspects involved. If someone votes Mokane to win against you, and you lose, you would absolutely bitch that your verse was better.