PDA

View Full Version : How Can We Encourage More Voters?

Nicholas
02-19-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm having this discussion with Rant in IM but I want to open it to all of you for ideas. Here's a few things that come to mind...

- Credits reset each month
- Revamp the FVC
- Actually hand out those Forum Awards that are already in the system for voting. Please just give me the control to hand out Forum Awards again. No one bothers to do it. Value is just a concept, we can make things valuable and we can do that with forum awards but the first step is actually handing them out.

I'm sure you guys can come up with some other good ideas.

EtH
02-19-2017, 12:23 PM
No FVC as no incarnation worked. I think with voting you just need to encourage people from the forums to want ti vote. New guys will always hit the hotlist.

Nicholas
02-19-2017, 12:28 PM
No FVC as no incarnation worked. I think with voting you just need to encourage people from the forums to want ti vote. New guys will always hit the hotlist.

Rant said a similar thing. I always found the FVC to be useful though and would rather have a slightly inefficient FVC than none at all. You've ran all kinds of tournaments, crews and such. Are you saying you couldn't run a successful FVC? I found the competition element of Noble's FVC to be quite useful.

MaCc Da G0D
02-19-2017, 12:36 PM
FuCc that. Dont Reset My Credits every Month. I got 682 or so. Mf's Aint Gone Vote unless There is a 'Prize Or attainable Upgrade' offered for completion. Hell, Barely anyone battles more than 5 times a Month except the niggas Like Me Anyway.

Nicholas
02-19-2017, 12:38 PM
FuCc that. Dont Reset My Credits every Month. I got 682 or so. Mf's Aint Gone Vote unless There is a 'Prize Or attainable Upgrade' offered for completion. Hell, Barely anyone battles more than 5 times a Month except the niggas Like Me Anyway.

I've got 365 credits. And that's the thing, there are people sitting on stacks of credits that aren't going to bother to vote.

MaCc Da G0D
02-19-2017, 12:39 PM

And FUCK FVC... too many Snakes On LB to Hand Out That Power To anyone. Battles Should Be won Simply By Votes. That Grading scale is As flawed as Its ever been.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

I've got 365 credits. And that's the thing, there are people sitting on stacks of credits that aren't going to bother to vote.

What im Saying is, they are Going to Vote or Not vote How they want Regardless Of The Credit Situation. Need to Find another way Or Pushing thr Importance of voting.

Nicholas
02-19-2017, 12:40 PM
And FUCK FVC... too many Snakes On LB to Hand Out That Power To anyone. Battles Should Be won Simply By Votes. That Grading scale is As flawed as Its ever been.

FVC Voting Power doesn't have to be crazy or even raised over a normal good voters VP.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

What im Saying is, they are Going to Vote or Not vote How they want Regardless Of The Credit Situation. Need to Find another way Or Pushing thr Importance of voting.

Have you got any ideas Macc?

MaCc Da G0D
02-19-2017, 12:42 PM
They should Make EVERY USER Have to Vote On 3-5 Battles Before they Can Log into the Chatbox. Lmao!! Bet you Niggas will Start Voting then. All they Do is Sit in the Chat ALL DAY! Niggas Lazy AsfuCc. Thats the sad part.

Nicholas
02-19-2017, 12:43 PM
They should Make EVERY USER Have to Vote On 3-5 Battles Before they Can Log into the Chatbox. Lmao!! Bet you Niggas will Start Voting then. All they Do is Sit in the Chat ALL DAY! Niggas Lazy AsfuCc. Thats the sad part.

Lol! That's not actually a bad idea.

lllllllllllll
02-19-2017, 12:47 PM
When you look at it, the FVC is whack. Like how do you higher a persons VP because they convinced you that they're a fair voter? A vote count should matter.

Battler A gets 6 votes from regular users
Battler B gets 4 votes from a mixture of both and still win? Lol

Either way, that ain't fair at all. The idea of the poll is broken.

Subreal
02-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Nicholas X could implement something so that when you are posting your verse the system forces you to vote on atleast two other battles or something from the pool of open battles, if you don't want to vote on that particular one there could be a skip button but it makes you vote on atleast two.

Aggo
02-19-2017, 01:05 PM
The problem with implementing some system that forces people to vote (like requiring votes to chat or post a battle) is that you just get shitty "fv" votes.

The best way to encourage voting is to encourage activity. People are more likely to vote when they have open battles and want votes themselves. The more people are battling, the more they are voting.

Subreal
02-19-2017, 01:10 PM
The problem with implementing some system that forces people to vote (like requiring votes to chat or post a battle) is that you just get shitty "fv" votes.

The best way to encourage voting is to encourage activity. People are more likely to vote when they have open battles and want votes themselves. The more people are battling, the more they are voting.

Uhm, exactly, so when you are posting your verse, which is what I suggested. People are going to do shitty fv votes anyways, they do it now, we can't stop that.

Nicholas
02-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Nicholas X could implement something so that when you are posting your verse the system forces you to vote on atleast two other battles or something from the pool of open battles, if you don't want to vote on that particular one there could be a skip button but it makes you vote on atleast two.

I would be worried this would put people off battling or as Aggo said increase the amount of bad votes.

Subreal
02-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Well, then you can't really increase voting. If you want to increase voting you have to force people to vote. Nothing else will work well, this site has tried for years. Incentives/credits don't work because there isn't a real credit shop that gives you anything worthwhile

Aggo
02-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Crews might be the key. The established members take in a few new heads and just encourage voting from them and as vets lead by example.

Metatron
02-19-2017, 03:29 PM
I like the idea of forcing active members to vote if they wanna battle I also do see how it can cause problems in the amount of hate or bs votes... I think first for starters the votes itself should b more monitored or atleast set something where the votes must be more explained ..I say that only based on this fact I've gotten votes for me & against me that only said crap like Fv... Or flipped a coin ... Then I go to the voters page & they are barely active... Some new account or a member that can't form a verse to save they life & jus voting to b voting ..

Babylon
02-19-2017, 03:31 PM
A few potential ways to get more voting going on would be to resize and edit the "Vote on this battle!" box to say something new & less easy to glance over. Also every time X did those "battle of the week" broadcasts near notifications I got over 15 votes. So definitely more of that.

Also in opposition to the above arguments of that proposed method potentially causing more shit "fv" votes, why not just limit the characters of the voting box to something like 10 (or more) characters minimum? With an actual message that says "Explain your vote!" when you try to post under that on some "fv gb" shit.

Nicholas
02-19-2017, 04:33 PM
A few potential ways to get more voting going on would be to resize and edit the "Vote on this battle!" box to say something new & less easy to glance over. Also every time X did those "battle of the week" broadcasts near notifications I got over 15 votes. So definitely more of that.

Also in opposition to the above arguments of that proposed method potentially causing more shit "fv" votes, why not just limit the characters of the voting box to something like 10 (or more) characters minimum? With an actual message that says "Explain your vote!" when you try to post under that on some "fv gb" shit.

I said the character thing in the chatbox earlier today. That change would just make total sense.

Crews might be the key. The established members take in a few new heads and just encourage voting from them and as vets lead by example.

I like this idea. I'm also making more of an effort to tag newcomers in the forums and get them involved. I think the forums are a big part of retaining members. Bringing them into the community so to speak.

Celsius
02-19-2017, 04:54 PM
When you look at it, the FVC is whack. Like how do you higher a persons VP because they convinced you that they're a fair voter? A vote count should matter.

Battler A gets 6 votes from regular users
Battler B gets 4 votes from a mixture of both and still win? Lol

Either way, that ain't fair at all. The idea of the poll is broken.

So pretty much All VP should be the same for everyone.
Although, votes should still be deleted for lack of expo, self voting ect.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Give the top voter like 5 $ a month or something idk, the credit reset would make the most sense.

NOBLE
02-19-2017, 05:06 PM
I'm having this discussion with Rant in IM but I want to open it to all of you for ideas. Here's a few things that come to mind...

- Credits reset each month
- Revamp the FVC
- Actually hand out those Forum Awards that are already in the system for voting. Please just give me the control to hand out Forum Awards again. No one bothers to do it. Value is just a concept, we can make things valuable and we can do that with forum awards but the first step is actually handing them out.

I'm sure you guys can come up with some other good ideas.

I've seen the credit reset idea floated over the years, but I honestly don't see how it makes much sense. It seems premised on the idea that most people tend to battle more than they vote and exhaust their credits more quickly than they replenish them. However, I only see that to be the case with members while they are still new to the site. For someone to have an accumulation of credits obviously means they've been voting, so it doesn't make sense to try to goad them into voting by resetting their credits. It makes more sense to simply raise the amount of credits required to open a battle. That would target the people who don't vote often (and thus require goading) rather than the people who have a track record of dropping votes as evidenced by an accumulation of credits. You can get those people to exhaust their credits by allowing them to purchase stuff with them, whether it's emcee items or whatever. And if people will be allowed to spend credits, they should be allowed to accumulate. Raising the amount of credits needed to battle will force the most active battlers to vote more.
The FVC can work and it has worked (I've seen it work). It just requires the right group of people running it with the right approach. I think it's a good idea to have a dedicated mod handing out the voting incentives, and I think Nicholas is a good candidate as long as he's active.

Rant
02-19-2017, 05:19 PM

fvvvvvvvvvv

Nicholas
02-19-2017, 05:19 PM
I've seen the credit reset idea floated over the years, but I honestly don't see how it makes much sense. It seems premised on the idea that most people tend to battle more than they vote and exhaust their credits more quickly than they replenish them. However, I only see that to be the case with members while they are still new to the site. For someone to have an accumulation of credits obviously means they've been voting, so it doesn't make sense to try to goad them into voting by resetting their credits. It makes more sense to simply raise the amount of credits required to open a battle. That would target the people who don't vote often (and thus require goading) rather than the people who have a track record of dropping votes as evidenced by an accumulation of credits. You can get those people to exhaust their credits by allowing them to purchase stuff with them, whether it's emcee items or whatever. And if people will be allowed to spend credits, they should be allowed to accumulate. Raising the amount of credits needed to battle will force the most active battlers to vote more.
The FVC can work and it has worked (I've seen it work). It just requires the right group of people running it with the right approach. I think it's a good idea to have a dedicated mod handing out the voting incentives, and I think Nicholas is a good candidate as long as he's active.

Thanks Noble, that means a lot. I think your idea of raising the credits required to open a battle is a good idea, and also agree regarding the FVC.

Babylon
02-19-2017, 05:59 PM
fvvvvvvvvvv

god dammit

ILLoKWENT
02-19-2017, 07:19 PM
i actually like that idea.. in order to use any forums or chats for the day you log in, you need to vote on X number of battles for that day.. if youve voted on all battles that can be voted on, then have the parameters indicate that the member has voted on all possible battles and are allowed to go on unimpededuntil theres a battle u havent voted on

Babylon
02-19-2017, 07:29 PM
i actually like that idea.. in order to use any forums or chats for the day you log in, you need to vote on X number of battles for that day.. if youve voted on all battles that can be voted on, then have the parameters indicate that the member has voted on all possible battles and are allowed to go on unimpededuntil theres a battle u havent voted on

Not that I particularly enjoy this idea, but wouldn't this basically just be like credits for posting? Why not just also get 3 forum credits for every one battle you vote on along side your battling credits, and every post you make reduces one forum credit.

Even with a system like that in place, though, it seems restrictive compared to now & might even drive more people away from the forums than drive them towards the battles. Perhaps, if X is taking this particular suggestion seriously, it could just be a temporary thing until we build back up user wise?

Shodan
02-19-2017, 07:38 PM
I suggest adding formatting options to the vote-expo box, so that long expos don't become unreadable text walls.

Babylon
02-19-2017, 09:14 PM
I suggest adding formatting options to the vote-expo box, so that long expos don't become unreadable text walls.

God dammit this. THIS.

Godbody
02-20-2017, 10:44 PM
I presented a viable solution to this like 10 times in the last 7 years

So here we go again

You turn the credit system into LB currency. This currency can be used for buying My Emcee items, aesthetics (bold/highlighted username, purple name, larger avatar, etc), or access (restricted forums, beta test shit, buy-in tourneys)

Sure the people sittin on 10,000 credits still might not care to vote, but you could also reset everyone's credits to 0 and THEN implement the currency system. After that, voting will become a necessary task for people that want emcee items, aesthetic changes, or access. Or all 3. Even better if people want to spend their credits on all 3, because that means they'll drop more votes

Features like this exist on a ton of thriving forums. They'll have an in-forum currency, or make you pay $5 for "VIP" which gets you a different colored username and shit like that. Except in this case LB already has Exclusive Membership which costs $$. This is still a solid incentive based program that'll drive up votes

Nicholas
02-21-2017, 01:31 PM
I presented a viable solution to this like 10 times in the last 7 years

So here we go again

You turn the credit system into LB currency. This currency can be used for buying My Emcee items, aesthetics (bold/highlighted username, purple name, larger avatar, etc), or access (restricted forums, beta test shit, buy-in tourneys)

Sure the people sittin on 10,000 credits still might not care to vote, but you could also reset everyone's credits to 0 and THEN implement the currency system. After that, voting will become a necessary task for people that want emcee items, aesthetic changes, or access. Or all 3. Even better if people want to spend their credits on all 3, because that means they'll drop more votes

Features like this exist on a ton of thriving forums. They'll have an in-forum currency, or make you pay $5 for "VIP" which gets you a different colored username and shit like that. Except in this case LB already has Exclusive Membership which costs $$. This is still a solid incentive based program that'll drive up votes

I see there's a credit counter since I returned. Did this get tried?

Student
02-21-2017, 04:06 PM
The initial premise of the FVC was to reward and in turn empower young individuals in the after school area who otherwise would've gone home and shot their parents in the head like the Menendez brothers.

Anyways, I think the problem with contests in that they can be "infiltrated" because of the username and colored title. Those should be removed, just leave the award, that way it gets utilized (the award system in general) and it's very easy to see.

Is there anyway to raise VP a quarter of a point? 1.25 or 1.125 instead of 2? This way we could wean users into having a higher VP worth twice as much as Macc's automatically.

Nicholas
02-21-2017, 04:11 PM
The initial premise of the FVC was to reward and in turn empower young individuals in the after school area who otherwise would've gone home and shot their parents in the head like the Menendez brothers.

Anyways, I think the problem with contests in that they can be "infiltrated" because of the username and colored title. Those should be removed, just leave the award, that way it gets utilized (the award system in general) and it's very easy to see.

Is there anyway to raise VP a quarter of a point? 1.25 or 1.125 instead of 2? This way we could wean users into having a higher VP worth twice as much as Macc's automatically.

Most of that made no sense to me but I agree that the FVC should not include a user title or colour change. It should just be the forum award.

Student
02-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Most of that made no sense to me but I agree that the FVC should not include a user title or colour change. It should just be the forum award.

Most the issue with VP is that it's such a drastic leap in between people's VP. For example: If have 2 VP and I vote on a battle I'm essentially supplying 2 votes so 3 people would have to vote against the winner (well whoever I pick) in order for the opponent to win if nobody else votes. The problem with this is that whoever has a higher VP pretty much determines the whole battle because there isn't a lot of voting going on.

lllllllllllll
02-21-2017, 05:26 PM
FVCis ass. Stop promoting that shit yo.

If niggas got the time to check threads all day to vote on battle links, they got time to go find us new members... how bout dat

Nicholas
02-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Right, so to summarise;

- Minimum Character Limit on a vote comment to prevent ‘FV’ and encourage expos.
- Hottest Battles Thread Weekly/Bi-Weekly (And, Battles Needing Votes)
- Credit Counter Re-Visited
- Formating Options on Voter Comments
- Any reincarnation of FVC should only be distinguished by the forum award. No more user titles/colour changes. Voting power should not be excessive.

I'll start doing the hottest battle threads which can also be used to draw attention to some battles that need votes. If I mention users as well this might draw some people to the forums which is always good for user-retention.

The Credit Counter and any potential re-vamp of the FVC would have to be done by a moderator. If no one is up for doing it then as Noble suggested I would happily do it myself.

The Formatting Options/Minimum Character Limit would obviously have to be done by @X or Pugz I'll suggest it in an email to X when I next speak to him.

Godbody
02-23-2017, 10:18 AM
To summarize nothing

My post was the best idea. It's proven, webmasters use it across the internet, etc etc

Trust me. I know what works, as I was one of, if not THE first person calling LB admins out on their bullshit like 5-6 yrs ago when ya'll was still happy with the way shit was. And I was getting CLOWNED for talking shit about LB v4 (FlyHipHop) and suggesting a bunch of shit to make this site better. A few ideas got implemented here or there but the ones I know will work wonders on here still aint been implemented