PDA

View Full Version : Why voting correctly matters.

Student
10-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Look I get it. You're busy or just lazy and you don't feel like explaining why someone won the battle. You just need credits and this battle is fucking obvious who won so why explain?

That's a good question hypothetical person, let me answer that.

Feedback. Feedback is KEY when it comes to improving your skill set. It doesn't matter if you do text, topical or audio feedback is GOLDEN. The only way to improve is to hear negative remarks about your material and better yet, ways to improve on certain sections. If someone doesn't get feedback but continues to win battles they're not going to better themselves, they're going to consistently deliver their mediocre bars thinking they're dropping knowledge.

The problem stems from this lack of awareness. Pretty soon the whole site is stagnant and as a result you've got to battle shitty FaceBook opponents where simple wordplay and extremely played punches reign supreme so even if you drop LetsBeef 2006 type bars you lose because everyone is too stupid to understand your bars tower above everyone else's.

The second point I'd like to make is :monkey: see, :monkey: do. People have an innate need to follow others. Controversial, stupid, materialistic and drama-filled are characteristics normally reserved for reality television contestants but now they're key points in our idols. That's another subject for another time though. What I'm trying to say is if someone see's you voting with a one-word response they're not going to feel compelled to actually break down their process into explaining why they voted the way they voted. It's stupid but it's true. "He didn't explain his vote why should I?" is a common state of mind. To counter this staff members, such as yours truly, lower voters VP (voting power) until their votes don't matter at all (0VP). In theory the rest of the site would balance the non-essential votes but more and more frequently I'm starting to see battles with 0VP across the board and pretty soon only a few of us are going to have a say in who wins and who doesn't.

TL : DR Explain your votes to receive feedback and proper votes back on your battles.

Subreal
10-15-2015, 03:22 PM
bats.

Student
10-15-2015, 03:24 PM
bats.

I think it's pronounced bump :p

Subreal
10-15-2015, 03:25 PM
i got some bats

Student
10-15-2015, 03:34 PM
i got some bats

echo off
format C:
.bat

Subreal
10-15-2015, 03:48 PM
echo off
format C:
.bat

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-12/24/15/enhanced/webdr04/anigif_enhanced-buzz-6061-1419452876-11.gif

Student
10-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Student I think that you meant "more and more frequently," not "less and less," lol.

But this aside, I try to at least drop a couple of sentences whenever I vote. I don't care how shitty of a battler you are or how little you know about good battling, you can drop an expo longer than "gb fv" or even "one was just better." If you don't write more than that then fuck you.

Thanks for that.

Appreciate the honesty and the fair votes, every single correct and explained vote helps the site as a whole :high:

Rican
10-15-2015, 06:09 PM
stu should be the only user on lb that can use and pull off the taylor swift

sorry sub

and I agree, I been throwing votes.

Letum
10-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Nope Go vote on some shit with ya 218 low ass vote count Student

Rican
10-15-2015, 07:07 PM
I think Mods should be more pro active on this.

I think all votes that are not broken down should be deleted and voter should be pm'd and tagged in a thread regarding voting procedures.

I think that if a voters goes more than 3 votes that are not broken down. User should receive an infraction.

We can also create template regarding the basic points of voting.

Who knows

Ideas. Ideas

izayamoorman
10-15-2015, 07:50 PM
http://www.letsbeef.com/battle_details.php?section=tb&id=491237 really though? My punch count outweighed his by a ton. Smh... about done with these uneducated voters and being screwed over all the time due to hate voting, shit aint even fair

Student
10-15-2015, 10:57 PM
Nope Go vote on some shit with ya 218 low ass vote count Student
I actually have voted on 1,431 :cool:

I think all votes that are not broken down should be deleted and voter should be pm'd and tagged in a thread regarding voting procedures.

I think that if a voters goes more than 3 votes that are not broken down. User should receive an infraction.

Who knows

Ideas. Ideas

Agree about deleting 1 word votes (FV, VB, GB, etc.) and for the first time in the history of this site this is actually possible since we don't have that many battles going on.

Not sure about infractions, maybe 1 point ones. NOBLE Row Rant ILLoKWENT Manhattan OSKAR for their thoughts on the matter.

http://www.letsbeef.com/battle_details.php?section=tb&id=491237 really though? My punch count outweighed his by a ton. Smh... about done with these uneducated voters and being screwed over all the time due to hate voting, shit aint even fair

Re-opened the battle for more votes on the count of the voters shouldn't of had the VP they did at the time they voted.

NOBLE
10-16-2015, 01:51 AM
As annoying as non-explained votes sometimes are, you would be hurting the site more than helping it by removing every non-expo'd vote. People are lazy and they don't always want to type a paragraph just to explain who they thought won. The fact that they didn't explain it thoroughly doesn't necessarily mean they hadn't given it any thought either. I understand and totally agree that, for the battler, an explained vote is always better than a non-explained one. But voting is scarce. It's hard enough just to get people to vote period. Adding stipulations on top of it....like how long their expos gotta be..is going to make it even more scarce. If it were a choice between having more people on the site vote or having fewer votes because very few people bother to both vote frequently AND always have lengthy expos, I'd rather have more votes. We want to make things easier for people, not harder. I don't support removing people's votes or lowering their VP simply for lack of expo. Just ask them to try to leave more of an expo next time. Lowered VP can last for a long time and it might be a while before they get it raised again. People notice the negative (when someone's voting shittily) a lot more readily than they notice the positive. You have to balance the idealism of wanting everyone to give full lengthy expos with practicality. Everyone ISN'T going to start giving full expos, even if you make that a stipulation and remove their vote. The only thing that's going to do by making it a policy to remove all non-expo'd votes is to decrease overall voting on the site further than it already is.

Rican
10-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Make it an LB culture or a new rule

KingBankstou
10-16-2015, 02:30 AM

Who knows

Ideas. Ideas

... thats a good idea

izayamoorman
10-16-2015, 04:11 AM
Thanks bro Student...

Who remembers Phenomenon's outrageously long breakdowns? People need to peep battles from sometime around like 2012-2013, back when he was in the FVC, and take notes from him, and people like ILLoKWENT & Student.

They wasn't playing about that back then, they took voting maaad serious.

NOBLE
10-16-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks bro Student...

Who remembers Phenomenon's outrageously long breakdowns? People need to peep battles from sometime around like 2012-2013, back when he was in the FVC, and take notes from him, and people like ILLoKWENT & Student.

They wasn't playing about that back then, they took voting maaad serious.

That was when I ran the FVC and people had to go through voting tournaments just to get in.

10Fold
10-16-2015, 10:49 AM
I must admit I have frequented boards such as RB RV RW RR RM 6shot and many others, and if I'm honest LB has always stood out as by far the one with the worst voting.

Uneducated retard votes go unpunished, as with Dr's etc.

I'm pretty confident 50 per cent of votes in EVERY battle are peeps following the comment trend and not actually even reading the verse's...

OSKAR
10-16-2015, 07:25 PM
1 VP for accuracy of comment.

1VP for getting the person and the rate right.

Instead of removing unexpo'd votes just remove VP....

Rican
10-16-2015, 07:40 PM
But the voter should be tagged on this and called out on the forums or something

Like every week make a thread about it

Student
10-16-2015, 09:01 PM
The problem with lowering VP is that soon nobody will have VP except a select few and they alone will determine the winners of battles.

*On another subject no moderator should EVER tell someone their VP. If they find out they have 0 they will either 1) Stop voting cause what's the point besides voting when they need credits and since their votes don't matter they have no reason to explain their votes
2) Kiss ass and throw up some bullshit votes for a week or two to get their VP and ultimately stop.

The Ghost of Freak
10-16-2015, 09:04 PM
I like voting and always break it down. Ahhh yeah. #FVMOVEMENT

Rican
10-19-2015, 02:00 AM
lets bring this back

Shodan
10-19-2015, 02:22 AM
*On another subject no moderator should EVER tell someone their VP. If they find out they have 0 they will either 1) Stop voting cause what's the point besides voting when they need credits and since their votes don't matter they have no reason to explain their votes
2) Kiss ass and throw up some bullshit votes for a week or two to get their VP and ultimately stop.

If moderators couldn't tell people their VP, they should be able to tell them that they're voting poorly. How can you fix a problem if you don't know that it exists?

Rican
10-19-2015, 02:51 AM
the VP should be visible!!!

izayamoorman
10-19-2015, 03:46 AM
That was when I ran the FVC and people had to go through voting tournaments just to get in.

Before :guns: LB died :high:

ILLoKWENT
10-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Theres no perfect solution. Unless dudes specify reputeable voters in their battle

Esso
10-19-2015, 06:53 PM
the VP should be visible!!!

^^this

I'm sure theres negatives but if ya get feed in a vote from someone with high VP, ya know to take that person seriously and that what they say prolly means something. Ya see votes like 'One had better wordplay and punches' then peep that person battle and they have no concept what the terms mean. Plus it'd be an incentive for people to vote better if VP was some tangible thing they could watch grow as they voted more. If ya dont know what yer VP is I can see why some folks dont give a fuck.

Rican
10-19-2015, 07:14 PM
exactly

Blunt Rapper
10-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Zero explanation and zero voting power makes you irrelevant on a site based on improvement, feedback and ranking. Don't be that guy.