PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Add a tier system

Godbody
08-31-2015, 11:31 AM
I suggested this shit probably like 100 times throughout my yrs on here but i cant find the thread to bump..

Lightweight, Middleweight, Heavyweight tiers? Beginner, Amateur, Professional, Low, Mid, Top.. or something like Bronze, Silver, Gold

I'm using 3 tiers for a quick example...it can be 5 tiers too. it'd work using similar calculations to the formula we have now... you beat somebody and based on their rank you get X amount of points..except this time the penalties are more/less severe based on your tier

It's simple

Same tier opponent +1 for winning / 0 for participating / 0 for losing
Lower tiered oppponent +0 for winning / 0 for participating / -2 for losing
Higher tiered opponent +2 for winning / +1 for participating / -1 for losing

we can play around with these numbers..^

if anything you could code an entirely different shit based on points where 0 pts is low tier, 50 for mid tier, and 100 for top tier or some shit.

Lockhart
08-31-2015, 11:40 AM
Didn't we try this with the Tier 1, 2, and 3 awards already?

Godbody
08-31-2015, 11:45 AM
Nah....that's an entirely different thing thats completely subjective and doesnt calculate skill

what Im proposing will literally be the closest thing this site has to calculating someone's skill level because who you beat or who you lose to will reflect on your tier

oSo Slick
08-31-2015, 11:50 AM
I dig it

Rican
08-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Godbody for president.

KingBankstou
08-31-2015, 01:21 PM
that makes alot of sense and should get put into place immediately!

Rant
08-31-2015, 02:20 PM
>gets told not to bring up ideas that require coding, because they're impractical at present.

>reiterates the same idea he's made a thread about 10 times that requires coding.

ice-9
08-31-2015, 02:31 PM
What Godbody is suggesting could very easily be achieved through implementing an ELO type system. This would definitely be an improvement on the current ranking system, which is more a measure of prolonged output than genuine skill.

With such a system in place it's then just a case of setting nominal milestones as your tier boundaries. This in turn could allow for more competitions to be run which could encourage newer members of the site to stay involved ('weight championships' and things like mixed tag team tournaments, for example).

I do think that it's quite weird that this website is run with the intent of making money, but without seeing that both time/monetary investment is required to advance it as a product.

Just my thoughts.

Shodan
08-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Technically speaking, this doesn't require coding... it could just be run by hand. Hell, I might be willing to do it if it doesn't require too much thought or effort beyond tabulating battle records.

Godbody's suggestion as he details it is not very well-thought-out; however, a more eloquently-designed system of a similar nature could be nice to have.

Student
08-31-2015, 03:06 PM
Think of LetsBeef like a sandbox where things can be added and removed but the "sand" is the code so things don't always "mesh" with our specific sand and changing the "sand" would literally be like changing sand one piece at a time.

Basically we've got to work with what we've got for the time being and have work arounds.

In the mean time why not simply battle in the exclusive arena? Nobody ever does it because they want votes but you then they complain about "low votes, noob votes, shitty votes, etc" in the basic arena. The FVC should also make voting in the exclusive arena a priority and if we as a userbase agree we could all make it a point to vote on exclusive arenas.

KingBankstou
08-31-2015, 03:12 PM
i went to school for coding just shoot me the wire-frame and i could try to sort through it

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

we need multiple arenas
and to change the name

Student
08-31-2015, 03:15 PM
i went to school for coding just shoot me the wire-frame and i could try to sort through it

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

we need multiple arenas
and to change the name

What kind of code can you write?

Subreal
08-31-2015, 03:20 PM
this shit is easy to code though., but i only know Java and Python

Rant
08-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Technically speaking, this doesn't require coding... it could just be run by hand. Hell, I might be willing to do it if it doesn't require too much thought or effort beyond tabulating battle records.

Godbody's suggestion as he details it is not very well-thought-out; however, a more eloquently-designed system of a similar nature could be nice to have.

Calculate the battle record of every single member of the site who battles, manually? Lol. Right.

Subreal
08-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Calculate the battle record of every single member of the site who battles, manually? Lol. Right.

^^^ lol this.. thats the whole point of coding, to solve issues like this so you don't have to do it by hand. Instead u write an algorithm that does it all for you

Mindless
08-31-2015, 04:21 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to grep every members points rankings into a spread sheet with some algorithm to assign a ranking according to that. It seems like anyone could do that and put up a page for it. The only problems would be filtering the users out of the fuckload long list that haven't logged in for years and then server load for constantly checking if it's changed for each active user.

Actually, this is a horrible idea. Nevermind.

Godbody
08-31-2015, 04:29 PM
Rant word... we were told not to suggest things that require coding..but I suggested this because while I may not know much about coding, I know this isn't something complex

It's simple

Same tier opponent +1 for winning / 0 for participating / 0 for losing
Lower tiered oppponent +0 for winning / 0 for participating / -2 for losing
Higher tiered opponent +2 for winning / +1 for participating / -1 for losing

we can play around with these numbers..^

Like someone said earlier, the admins could literally assign the tiers by hand using mod permissions.. the same way ya'll give out Grand Champion usertitles or w/e... Or like Mindless said, have some kind of metric to determine an individuals skill level

either way, coding the shit itself shouldnt be that hard. the harder part would be deciding how we determine who falls into what tier or if we can implement the current ranking system (stars & skill points) into assigning someone a tier

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

I wonder if it would be possible to grep every members points rankings into a spread sheet with some algorithm to assign a ranking according to that. It seems like anyone could do that and put up a page for it. The only problems would be filtering the users out of the fuckload long list that haven't logged in for years and then server load for constantly checking if it's changed for each active user.

Actually, this is a horrible idea. Nevermind.

So then we can make the tier thing an 'opt in' system where ya'll hand out tiers to active battlers based on who asks to be a part of the new system

solves the problem of going through all the inactive accounts

Student
08-31-2015, 04:36 PM
Skill is so subjective though and you know there's going to be a huge shit storm of people arguing they should be on a higher tier.

Godbody
08-31-2015, 04:49 PM
That's what I'm sayin though...the hardest part will be assigning people tiers. If anything we could have polls to decide which tier ppl belong in & go with the majority vote...but at the same time this site isnt active enough for those polls lol

Or we could just put everyone at the lowest tier by default

idk much about coding but I used to fuck around n code some type of bullshit and the programming language used If, then, else statements..dont know if thats a universal thing in every programming language or what

but anyway everybody starts at the lowest tier

IF they have a certain win % or win a certain consecutive amount THEN they make it to mid tier, if not then the ELSE part comes in...ELSE, they go up +1 for every W until they earn that mid tier gradually

...basically ya'll should put something in the coding where if a Low tier dude beats 5 top tier dudes in a row, or 8 out of 10 (80% win percentage against top tier niggas) let's say normally it'd take 50 battles to go from low to top tier....but you could use a If,then,else statement to say "If JON beats X amount of people, then JON reaches __ tier" or "If JON reaches X win percentage after Y amount of battles, then JON reaches __ tier" and just set the conditions it takes to reach mid tier and top tier assuming everyone starts at low

Then you could do the same thing for people when they lose. If a top tier is constantly losing to a mid/low tier..let's say they had 10 battles against lower tiered opponents and lost 8. It might take them 50 losses to go -50 or -100 or w/e, but since they lost 8 out 10, an If/then/else statement kicks in where they automatically drop a tier

Shodan
08-31-2015, 05:10 PM
Give me a conveniently-formatted with every single battle record on it and a few hours to get familiar with some coding basics, and I could probably do this in some simple language or another. Logically, I don't think it would be that hard (although I might well be wrong on this one, having little-to-no coding experience).

If I am wrong, then we could probably hire somebody to do this. Of course, LB is still running on software from 2007, so this isn't our biggest coding related issue... ;)

ILLoKWENT
09-01-2015, 02:12 AM
Lmao.goldmic already implemented this elo type rat8ng system based on who u beat or lose to.. this shit is never gonna happen.. i brought it up to noble many times and LB isnt going to implement anything different.. even my suggestion to hide the voter comments and expos to anyone that hasnt voted on the battle to stop all forms of expo sway.. stil waiting ...........zzzzzzzz.

ice-9
09-01-2015, 06:32 AM
Lmao.goldmic already implemented this elo type rat8ng system based on who u beat or lose to.. this shit is never gonna happen.. i brought it up to noble many times and LB isnt going to implement anything different.. even my suggestion to hide the voter comments and expos to anyone that hasnt voted on the battle to stop all forms of expo sway.. stil waiting ...........zzzzzzzz.

So much love for this as an idea. Would allow for genuine feedback to be given on specific bars, etc.

Godbody
09-01-2015, 07:29 AM
I support that idea to hide the voter comments

We could use that elo system though. shouldnt be hard to code

Askari
09-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Nah....that's an entirely different thing thats completely subjective and doesnt calculate skill

what Im proposing will literally be the closest thing this site has to calculating someone's skill level because who you beat or who you lose to will reflect on your tier

But how do you establish initial tiers, and how do you stop it descending into a pseudo version of the reciprocal fellatio-riddent monthly ranking system? Great idea I admit, but some major hiccups that would need addressed first.

Maybe it could be democratic, to get the first hurdle out the way. Say you collate the names (suggestions from the site) of the 30 best battlers on LB ever. Then the site votes for their favourites, taking it round-for-round, eliminating the winner or top 10 each time so as to establish your initial tiers.

Ionno, I've had a lot to drink. Great idea GodBody, but it needs work.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

EDIT: just read through the entire thread.

Points won't work. The wins and losses accrued by battlers haven't counted on this site for a long time. Snipes etc nullify any validity in such a system. See previous post for overly convoluted alternative.

Godbody
09-08-2015, 09:55 AM
The idea needs work but its pretty easy to decide who fits into what tier

Like I said earlier, it'll be an opt-in system...which means when the tier system gets introduced, instead of going through 20,000 profiles we create a thread and anyone that opts in gets put into the tier system. They'll start at the lowest tier by default.

If not, the site only has like 20 consistently active niggas anyway. It wouldn't be hard to decide what tiers they all fit into if we have some polls

Maybe even a panel like the FVC that collectively decides which tier someone fits into