PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for when voting?

Scientific
08-25-2015, 03:45 PM
It seems most people seem to rate multies/flow above most things, would this be an accurate assessment?

Personally I love good punchlines/wordplay...especially with humour

ice-9
08-25-2015, 04:02 PM
In a text battle I'm looking for 'lyrical complexity' (wordplay, structure, rhyming, etc) in addition to punchlines. So for me having one or the other isn't enough, and it's the interplay that decides how good the verse is.

The thing that generally puts me off a verse is when people try and force aspects into it. If your multis don't make sense (or sound excessively stilted) then they probably should have been edited. Also when people use wordplay that doesn't work both ways it can feel a bit naff. My rule of thumb is that if I can imagine it in the Shufflo bad bars battle then it's probably not great!

But hey, I'm guilty of all of the above anyway. So I don't hold it against anyone!

Scientific
08-27-2015, 10:53 AM
yeah we all force issues at times BUT thats not the same as when im the voter.

I see alot of votes comment on flows & multis but not much else, whether its why someone won or lost the battle

Subreal
08-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Punchlines are #1, wordplay is of course intertwined with that... and its usually not a problem having to chose between multis and punchlines because people who usually have good punchlines also meet expectations for multis... I've yet to see someone with like 2 syllable schemes but dope as fuck punchlines.

Multis don't mean shit if u aint got good punchlines.. multis are easy

ice-9
08-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Punchlines are #1, wordplay is of course intertwined with that... and its usually not a problem having to chose between multis and punchlines because people who usually have good punchlines also meet expectations for multis... I've yet to see someone with like 2 syllable schemes but dope as fuck punchlines.

Multis don't mean shit if u aint got good punchlines.. multis are easy

How do you feel about the interplay? Say occasionally dropping 'weaker' punches but doing it with an extended string of chained multis/internal rhymes. Do you give credit for variety in a verse?

Subreal
08-27-2015, 01:24 PM
How do you feel about the interplay? Say occasionally dropping 'weaker' punches but doing it with an extended string of chained multis/internal rhymes. Do you give credit for variety in a verse?

That's not really variety, that's being lazy and expecting a chain of multis (which is relatively easy to do) to make up for a lack of punch. Just make it a good punch with an extended string of chained multis/internal rhymes. If you have a weak punch and stuff it full of multis its just taking up space and your opponent is probably going to win on consistency if he has better punches, as long as his multis meet respectable standards..

Lockhart
08-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Mostly punchlines. If your punchlines are good, then you normally have the upper-hand in about 75% of your battles already based on the skill level on this site.

What truly separates you is your multis (I factor in flow with this because they can work hand-in-hand) and your wordplay (which works hand-in-hand with your punches if you know what you are doing).

Good punchlines, for the most part, should win you about 75% of your battles on this site just based on the majority of the site's skill level, but to really succeed, you have to factor in all three.

Lyricism, however, isn't truly factored in to the vote unless you are able to mix that in with the other three elements (For this, I would look towards a Phroxen battle).

Hope this helps you understand more what voters are looking for in a battle.

Shodan
08-28-2015, 09:36 PM
I rate verses based off of how much I enjoyed them.

Factors like punchlines, multies, flow, etc., all contribute to how much I enjoy a verse; however, they are just factors. If I believe that a good (or bad) performance in one of those categories contributed to my decision, then I'll mention it; none of them determine my vote, though.

Punchlines are usually the biggest factor; however, if someone does something extremely shitty (like broken multies) then I won't say "well, the punches were good so you win anyway." Why? Because broken multies ruin a verse for me, regardless of how good the rest of it is...

Esso
08-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Higher All Time Rank, number and color of flames next to their name, how dope an avy they might have, whoever got the most shit under their name, what crew they be with....shit like that. gb fv vb

Celsius
08-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Higher All Time Rank, number and color of flames next to their name, how dope an avy they might have, whoever got the most shit under their name, what crew they be with....shit like that. gb fv vb

Sounds about right. #Letsbeef

Scientific
08-29-2015, 03:47 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Sadly Im sure Esso's right for certain voters, I see that hasn't changed in my years away