PDA

View Full Version : Enable the Reputation System. @Pugz,@Noble

Subreal
08-21-2015, 11:49 PM
https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/vboptions_reputation
Pugz NOBLE
You gain rep by posting/being a member every month etc. Or by other users adding or subtracting to your reputation. Make it so that you can use ur reps 3 times a day to rep/negate other people then it has to recharge. The more rep you have the more influence you have on other peoples. Everyone starts with 0, give mods/admin a lot of rep power as they SHOULD be the most responsible people of the site.
It's not a flat value, e.g. if I have 20k rep and i give/subtract from ur reputation you gain/lose 200 points or something.

This would be cool for the new black market section but will also be dope for the site as a whole.

Make it so u get 1 point of altering power for
1. every month(s) of membership
2. every 100,200,300,400,500 posts (pick one)
3.Every 1k reputation points you have

Denton
08-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Not a bad idea

Babylon
08-22-2015, 12:37 AM
A good idea, in fact. Pugz NOBLE please let us know what you think about this. We need fresh functions for LB, this place is stale as fuck and no one can deny that.

Shodan
08-22-2015, 12:52 AM
A good idea, in fact. Pugz NOBLE please let us know what you think about this. We need fresh functions for LB, this place is stale as fuck and no one can deny that.

As far as I am concerned, adding new features to LB is equivalent to taking an ugly, fat, old hog and applying a thick layer of lipstick on it. This site is running on software that's... what... a decade old? Somewhere in that area. Some features are newer than that but the core is more ancient than those spirit masters in occult lodges.

The site is noticeably slower than most modern forums. It doesn't feel slick, new, or interactive at all. It's undoubtedly insecure. Many links and features don't work. Guides written in the mid-2000's about aspects of the site that no longer exist are still among the first things a total n00b will find.

If you take a Model T and install a luxury audio system, will that make the car run any faster? Will it make it more fuel-efficient, or more comfortable to ride in? Will it increase the engine horsepower? No...

What LB needs is a complete overhaul. Don't add any new features. Just hire a professional web design outfit to come in and create a minimalist design that does everything it needs to, but no more. I'd advocate for updating the vBulletin software, but the modifications used for things like battling and voting are so extensive that doing this is probably impossible.

Subreal
08-22-2015, 01:20 AM
They don't need to code it, they literally just have to set the settings and enable it lmao

Row
08-22-2015, 01:24 AM
approve

Mindless
08-22-2015, 02:26 AM
Won't work. Points and ratings are tied into the rep system somehow. I asked X about this a while back.

Godbody
08-22-2015, 04:00 AM
ok. how bout a thanks button?

NOBLE
08-22-2015, 10:52 AM
I have a feeling the rep thing won't work because of our star rating system which is tied to battles. Well, it's more than a feeling because I've actually tried to enable it on our test site before and it didn't work. A lot of features on LB such as the star rating system are custom hacks...they're not plugins that you can buy or download from anywhere else, and I think the star rating system is actually an alteration of the rep system that's built into VB so we won't be able to have both systems at the same time. That's just my guess from having tried it before, but I can ask X or Pseudo to see if it would be possible to get them both to work. I know that simply enabling it from the admin control panel won't work because I've done it before. You will see the bars in the post-bit, but adding rep to someone won't have any effect.
As far as the like button, personally I think it's kinda gay and is not really suited for the type of site this is. It's more suited for a forum where people ask questions and give advice and you can like their answers etc. It would be easy to add with a plugin. However, I'm weary of adding any new plugins to the site right now for one major reason. We usually test out plugins on the test site which is an exact mirror of this site before we install them. The reason is that plugins can sometimes be incompatible with other plugins or hacks we already have running and installing the wrong plugin can ruin a site. But the test site is on VB5 right now because we are working on the upgrade there, so I won't be able to test any plugins there in the meantime. Alternatively, in the meanwhile, we have the facebook like button in the first post of every thread. We can make it so that it's on every post and like posts that way if y'all want.

OSKAR
08-22-2015, 11:07 AM
why don't we get rid of the star system then? I mean stars are derived from the ratings you get in battle correct? They are very inaccurate and serve no other purpose imo than just looking good

NOBLE
08-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Stars are also tied to the ranking system so you would be asking to get rid of ranking system too. Rep would only matter in the forums and to be quite frank, I think they're practically useless. The star system is way more important imo. We would be better off finding more uses for the credit system and using that for black market transactions.

Rant
08-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Speaking of credits, they need more uses.

Subreal
08-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Stars are also tied to the ranking system so you would be asking to get rid of ranking system too. Rep would only matter in the forums and to be quite frank, I think they're practically useless. The star system is way more important imo. We would be better off finding more uses for the credit system and using that for black market transactions.

The star system is a joke. Because oldheads inflated the ratings a shit ton, its the most inaccurate representation of skill on the site. Oldheads i have 100-0'd have more stars than me because they primarily battled in a shit inflated rating era

Babylon
08-22-2015, 01:57 PM
I've been here since 2012 and literally just now learned what those stars meant.

Godbody
08-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Imo it was harder to get stars back then

Now we're talking like 50 consistently active people maybe 8 on at any given time. 6 of those 50 people are good/great battlers. and i'm not including audio. just text.

Back then it was like 500 active heads with 30ish on at any given time. 40-50 were top tier niggas

It's just the voting has gone to shit. Everybody is so full of themselves they refuse to rate a verse that'd be considered a really good verse by today's standards with a good rating

I see great battles where you dick head niggas are giving out 7's to the winner like clockwork. It'd kill you niggas to give someone a 9 let alone a 10. So I blame nobody but the voters themselves for shit tier niggas having more stars than nice niggas. Imo it wasn't over inflation it's the under voting these days

Babylon
08-22-2015, 02:29 PM
^Release a godbody voting stencil lol. Because you're right, voting is anus here.

Rant
08-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Anus. Lol.

Shodan
08-22-2015, 03:13 PM
I see great battles where you dick head niggas are giving out 7's to the winner like clockwork. It'd kill you niggas to give someone a 9 let alone a 10.

As one of the lowest voters on the site, I think it behooves me to respond to this.

I hand out low ratings because I grade on absolute scale, where 10.0 is perfect and the rest of the system is a curve leading up to that. So a decent verse might get a 6 or 7, but it takes something much better to get an 8 or 9. This doesn't mean I don't award them, just that I am very stringent about whom I give them to for the sake of objective comparison and self-consistency.

If you start at low 8 for a barely-decent verse and just work up from there, you have to subdivide each rating into a bunch of different subratings to do anything of note, while the lower end of the scale is bloated and difficult to work with. A rating of 9 or 10 then becomes something meaningless and easily earned, rather than a very rare token of respect.

What I do makes far more sense, but for whatever reason is not very intuitive to most people.

Godbody
08-22-2015, 03:43 PM
its not that deep fam

So you wanna be a strict voter, giving pretty good verses 7's?

meanwhile the noobs and dickriders are handing out 8's and 9's for shittier verses

Basically ya'll scrutinize the fuck outta a mid-top tier battlers verse and throw 7's on it..on the flip side joe schmo with a semi-decent verse & his band of dickriders is getting 8's and 9's

where's the balance? the shitty battles make their way on the hotlist and more deserving battles are struggling to make it without gettin those 8's and 9's because you guys, whether its subconsciously or w/e, are way harsher on verses of ppl ya'll perceive to be mid-top tier

TLDR

I'd rather give a pretty good Rican verse an 8 or 9 than to see 5 shitty MaCc battles hotlist off the strength of his buddies and dickriders alone

Student
08-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Rican deserves an 8/9 though.

I say do away with the star system, it's a nice sentiment but nowhere near accurate because of varied periods in voting. Sometimes people are strict (accurate) and other times people hype the fuck out of others so their skill level is stagnant based on the idea that they don't have room for improvement. Plus those skill charts on profiles are based out of seemingly nowhere.

Godbody
08-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Yeah but whether Rican deserves an 8 or 9 is subjective

A harsher voter can say X and Y was forced or w/e and off that alone give him a 7

My battles shit on 80% of the bullshit I be reading, and the bullshit I be reading gets 8's and 9's while my shit gets 7's. I'm really referring to my last text battle. The amount of complexity as far as the schemes was crazy. Wordplays here and there, humor, punchlines. Everybody reads shit in their own voice/accent so ya'll might not agree on certain shit rhyming..& because of that I never expected a 10. wouldn't be the end of the world if i didn't get a 9 either. but the fact that I was gettin more 7's than 8's is brazy. ya'll niggas trippin

Subreal
08-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Rican deserves an 8/9 though.

I say do away with the star system, it's a nice sentiment but nowhere near accurate because of varied periods in voting. Sometimes people are strict (accurate) and other times people hype the fuck out of others so their skill level is stagnant based on the idea that they don't have room for improvement. Plus those skill charts on profiles are based out of seemingly nowhere.

This is the problem right here ^^ people giving ratings based on names instead of the actual verse. "Oh thats that washed up garbage ass overrated oldhead Daddio, better give him a 10!"

Godbody
08-22-2015, 11:20 PM
See, you might think of a nigga like Daddio as washed up, but one thing I don't do is take credit from someone at something they excel at..

For example his punches might be weak/dated but you can't give em a 7 if his flow/multis are on point

The way I look at it is ...if I'm pulling off schemes and multis that you can't pull off, or you'd have a hard time pulling off, then I better be getting high ratings

If I'm pulling off cohesive multi schemes that I know damn well you can't but I'm getting 7s, you better make sure your shit is damn near perfect cuz if it's not fuckin with mine Ima go on ya battle voting the same way which would get you a 5-6 etc

Subreal
08-23-2015, 12:16 AM
if his flows and multis are on point and the punches still fucking suck then yeah, he would get a 5-6. multi syllabics are easy

Mindless
08-23-2015, 12:41 AM
pULSE is a faggot but he's right. It's not just pulling off the skills it's the execution as well. multis might be easy but there's certainly different levels of that skill. If a dude is pulling off 10 syllable multis that are cohesive and flow well but the punch is weak you still gotta rate that dude above average because there's no way an average dude is going to be able to pull off something that technical. If you put that against someone doing two, three and four syllables that has better punches then you have to weigh those two things against each other as to who won. You still have to give a decent rating to the guy with the better technical verse even if you think the punches take it because that's just as much a part of what we do as the punches themselves. Punches that hit hard as fuck don't mean near as much if you're rhyming dog and log and cat and rat and shit.

Babylon
08-23-2015, 01:16 AM
The high standards around this place are fucking insane... seriously lmao. It's like all these kids are projecting this super strict "top tier only" voting style out of their own ego tripping contrived self-image. Can't see any other reason for this bullshit existing. Creativity is something to PRIZE... not overlook because you think JoeDizasterShmo can do it with 500 more multis.. Or JoeBiggKShmo could do it with 500 more punchlines, I've been preaching against this ego-tripping faggotry. We need to stop faulting people for what they don't do 100% FLAWLESSLY ALL THE TIME and start prizing them for what they can do well consistently. People are people. We have strong points and weak points. Stop viewing this rap shit so seriously and objectively that you can't find creativity in places that it very well exists.

In live battles you can quite literally end a punchline-less string of heavy multis, witty jabs/filer-ish lyricism, and good flow off with nothing but a vocal crescendo and you will get reaction. But here you have faggots like Subreal saying multis aren't even a dynamic because they're 'easy to do.' Homie 3 months ago you were in the tinychat talking about how you write multis with a rhyme dictionary, rethink your life and your shitty opinions.

Godbody
08-23-2015, 01:28 AM
We need to stop faulting people for what they don't do 100% FLAWLESSLY ALL THE TIME and start prizing them for what they can do well consistently. People are people. We have strong points and weak points. Stop viewing this rap shit so seriously and objectively that you can't find creativity in places that it very well exists.

Subreal
08-23-2015, 03:24 AM
The high standards around this place are fucking insane... seriously lmao. It's like all these kids are projecting this super strict "top tier only" voting style out of their own ego tripping contrived self-image. Can't see any other reason for this bullshit existing. Creativity is something to PRIZE... not overlook because you think JoeDizasterShmo can do it with 500 more multis.. Or JoeBiggKShmo could do it with 500 more punchlines, I've been preaching against this ego-tripping faggotry. We need to stop faulting people for what they don't do 100% FLAWLESSLY ALL THE TIME and start prizing them for what they can do well consistently. People are people. We have strong points and weak points. Stop viewing this rap shit so seriously and objectively that you can't find creativity in places that it very well exists.

In live battles you can quite literally end a punchline-less string of heavy multis, witty jabs/filer-ish lyricism, and good flow off with nothing but a vocal crescendo and you will get reaction. But here you have faggots like Subreal saying multis aren't even a dynamic because they're 'easy to do.' Homie 3 months ago you were in the tinychat talking about how you write multis with a rhyme dictionary, rethink your life and your shitty opinions.

Lol FOH with ur long ass replies. Multis are a joke, period. You aren't good because you stuff your battles full of multi syllabics while having no punchlines. The key is to maintain a respectable scheme(s) while still bringing heavy punches. Something you can't do, since you're a bad lyricist.

Babylon
08-23-2015, 03:33 AM
^If I didn't use punchlines against you chances are you might just be garbadge. What you're referring to is when I dropped more open audio battles than you've done since you signed up to this website... and still won 90% of them. So suck my dick fraggle, you the type of faggot to burn out before you even begin.

Also great job taking a subject and getting emotional about it, responding with nothing but personal bowl, and once again getting sonned like the pathetic waste of the human experience you are.

Godbody
08-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Lol FOH with ur long ass replies. Multis are a joke, period. You aren't good because you stuff your battles full of multi syllabics while having no punchlines. The key is to maintain a respectable scheme(s) while still bringing heavy punches. Something you can't do, since you're a bad lyricist.

This goes back to what I was sayin earlier....if you stuff your battles full of multi syllabics and maybe you have no/weak punches, you should give credit if someone is an absolute beast at multis

if someone is doing multis you know damn well you'd never be able to pull off, stop being a smart ass with the low votes and give them that higher rating because they EXCEL at something. someone could have a battle with amazing punches and rhyme 2 syllables. I wouldnt give them a 7 if the punches were fresh & hard hitting

You're basically going into a rap battle expecting everybody to have a perfect verse the way you picture a perfect verse...if that's what its gonna take to get a 9 or a 10 then you'll never give anyone a 9 or 10...

just look at live battle leagues...the winner doesn't necessarily have the best multis or the best punches. delivery usually plays the biggest part and whatever they did great aside from delivery is 2nd

Pugz
08-23-2015, 12:20 PM
What about using a new system that utilizes social Media to help determine winners? X and I were talking about it.. It'd bring attention to the site and you'd have a lot of non biased.. Non lb members voting.. It's doable what y'all think?

Pugz
08-23-2015, 12:22 PM
It'd be simply who won between the 2options no out of 10 ,rating.. Just simple itd also give people incentive to promote their battles off site

Pugz
08-23-2015, 12:23 PM
And BTW... Tone vs talk https://youtu.be/hhjZqoweVeQ

Babylon
08-23-2015, 01:43 PM
The ability to promote your on site battles off-site, and vote off-site could be a MASSIVE devolopement for LB. But it also opens up the floodgates to unintelligent idiots who have no technical know-how about battling whatsoever, thus the potential and almost certainty of the quality of votes going down is definitely prevalent.

But, with that being said, this would also boost the range of voters substantially, and could EASILY lead to a large number of new voters.

But let me ask, what if you're like me and don't have a Facebook, twitter, etc?

Pugz
08-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Like I saw earlier in the post.. Some of the standards we have are really ttoo technical for the average person... On fb and yt its this guy won.. This guy lost... Speculate and debated in other forums. Most of the time there's a clear winner.. If we can promote to all the battle rap grps on social media.. Then we will get the best results... Maybe make it mandatory to have a fb acct to log into lb with or have one attached to your existing lb acct...it'd force people to make a fb acct but you don't have to make it with your personal info.. Also it defiantly opens the door to more voters AND cross promote s lb heavy on fb

Shodan
08-23-2015, 02:23 PM
But let me ask, what if you're like me and don't have a Facebook, twitter, etc?

It means we have a higher quality of life than you because we aren't constantly worried about getting v&

Babylon
08-23-2015, 03:11 PM
^You know what..... fair enough.

Pugz.
This is a huge change if it takes place, I don't really like products that force you to use other products for them to work.. but if we did do this it really would open up the doors to MUCH more voting, more people outside of LBs target market seeing our battles and getting US emcees more fans, and the cross-promotion for LB is obviously not going to be a bad thing. Hmm. Sounds very, very interesting. I want to see what everyone else thinks about this tbh. Perhaps make a new thread with a poll if this is really serious Pugz? Just to gauge what the community thinks, obviously we don't have to make any changes right away. Either way, what do you guys think?

Rant
08-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Like I saw earlier in the post.. Some of the standards we have are really ttoo technical for the average person... On fb and yt its this guy won.. This guy lost... Speculate and debated in other forums. Most of the time there's a clear winner.. If we can promote to all the battle rap grps on social media.. Then we will get the best results... Maybe make it mandatory to have a fb acct to log into lb with or have one attached to your existing lb acct...it'd force people to make a fb acct but you don't have to make it with your personal info.. Also it defiantly opens the door to more voters AND cross promote s lb heavy on fb

So, your idea to get members... Is to make the site more difficult for possible members to access?

Great idea, boss. :rolleyes:

Godbody
08-23-2015, 05:03 PM
The Facebook thing doesn't make sense

I understand why you'd wanna integrate it, but forcing it on ppl wouldnt be a good idea

if anything, I'd say definitely integrate Facebook, but code it so that a Facebook voter has 1/2 the voting power of a regular LB member. this way people actually have a voice on FB but the LB member..who's more educated on battling, has a more powerful voice

..but then I see a host of problems coming w/ the FB integration too. like LB members making several FB accounts to vote for themselves and rig outcomes

Babylon
08-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Godbody I'm liking that here but not forced idea. Also, yeah, you can't really block self voting once that kind of thing happens. Only more technical people like Mindless, me, etc will know what to do but tbh its not hard at all to change your IP and look anonymous so I would definitely think of a work around for the self voting that opens up with this idea.

Mindless
08-23-2015, 08:04 PM
We already have FB and Twitter integration. X put that shit on here WAY back. Anyone can create an account using a Facebook or Twitter account they likely already have. It's not even hard. I think it's like three or four clicks tops to get an account and start voting that way.

Subreal
08-23-2015, 08:50 PM
This goes back to what I was sayin earlier....if you stuff your battles full of multi syllabics and maybe you have no/weak punches, you should give credit if someone is an absolute beast at multis

if someone is doing multis you know damn well you'd never be able to pull off, stop being a smart ass with the low votes and give them that higher rating because they EXCEL at something. someone could have a battle with amazing punches and rhyme 2 syllables. I wouldnt give them a 7 if the punches were fresh & hard hitting

You're basically going into a rap battle expecting everybody to have a perfect verse the way you picture a perfect verse...if that's what its gonna take to get a 9 or a 10 then you'll never give anyone a 9 or 10...

just look at live battle leagues...the winner doesn't necessarily have the best multis or the best punches. delivery usually plays the biggest part and whatever they did great aside from delivery is 2nd

No one can do multis that I can't pull off though. Shit is simple, if you know how to do a 2 syllable multi, you know how to do a 20 syllable multi. But I usually do 5-7 because anything over it is trying too hard and fucks up the flow

Rant
08-23-2015, 09:38 PM
And write them all with a rhyme dictionary. Huh, Subreal?

Scientific
08-24-2015, 03:13 PM
As far as I am concerned, adding new features to LB is equivalent to taking an ugly, fat, old hog and applying a thick layer of lipstick on it. This site is running on software that's... what... a decade old? Somewhere in that area. Some features are newer than that but the core is more ancient than those spirit masters in occult lodges.

The site is noticeably slower than most modern forums. It doesn't feel slick, new, or interactive at all. It's undoubtedly insecure. Many links and features don't work. Guides written in the mid-2000's about aspects of the site that no longer exist are still among the first things a total n00b will find.

If you take a Model T and install a luxury audio system, will that make the car run any faster? Will it make it more fuel-efficient, or more comfortable to ride in? Will it increase the engine horsepower? No...

What LB needs is a complete overhaul. Don't add any new features. Just hire a professional web design outfit to come in and create a minimalist design that does everything it needs to, but no more. I'd advocate for updating the vBulletin software, but the modifications used for things like battling and voting are so extensive that doing this is probably impossible.

agreed...

The sites not changed much since i left 6yrs ago. Im not insulting its creators or Mods, but it could do with being modernised. Im not a huge fan of it being all black either, maybe a steel blue or grey? that clean modern feel

Ragnarok
08-24-2015, 03:47 PM
^u can change the skin in the settings. havent tested it but the option is there

Rican
08-24-2015, 11:14 PM
thanks button is cool