PDA

View Full Version : How Do Yall Come Up With Bars?

TalkSick
11-29-2014, 09:51 AM
What's everybody method to construct their bars? How do you go about thinking of concepts? Etc.

Discuss...

Shodan
11-29-2014, 10:08 AM
I've been planning on writing about this more extensively, but basically, most of my punches are wordplay. And, how I write the wordplay is as follows: Find the conjunctions!

Some sounds are both very common to hear in words, while simultaneously being very common, brief words in the English Language, such as in, n', or, s, etc. All you have to do is pick apart a bunch of words in this manner, until you find one that works with or without the conjunction still attached to it. Then, you just add or remove on the ends of the words to get something more complex. Easier said than done, I know.

For example:

Shaman / Sham N'
Broccoli / Brock - uh' (or) - Lee
Telomerase / Tell Em' Erase

The other one is to just say words aloud, and not think about how it is actually spelled. Just concentrate on the sounds. This, however, usually just ends up doing the same thing as the above method. You can also try to use your opponent's name, or some fragment of it (preferably at the beginning) as a conjunction, and try to think of words that contain that (which is how I came up with my Beyblade line in the GC, which is still my favorite punchline that I've ever written Obey).

Rant
11-29-2014, 10:20 AM
I've been planning on writing about this more extensively, but basically, most of my punches are wordplay. And, how I write the wordplay is as follows: Find the conjunctions!

Some sounds are both very common to hear in words, while simultaneously being very common, brief words in the English Language, such as in, n', or, s, etc. All you have to do is pick apart a bunch of words in this manner, until you find one that works with or without the conjunction still attached to it. Then, you just add or remove on the ends of the words to get something more complex. Easier said than done, I know.

For example:

Shaman / Sham N'
Broccoli / Brock - uh' (or) - Lee
Telomerase / Tell Em' Erase

The other one is to just say words aloud, and not think about how it is actually spelled. Just concentrate on the sounds. This, however, usually just ends up doing the same thing as the above method. You can also try to use your opponent's name, or some fragment of it (preferably at the beginning) as a conjunction, and try to think of words that contain that (which is how I came up with my Beyblade line in the GC, which is still my favorite punchline that I've ever written Obey).

Shaw Man. < Shaman.

RULE
11-29-2014, 12:27 PM
God beams them directly to my brain.

TalkSick
11-29-2014, 12:39 PM
God beams them directly to my brain.

Word on the street is that LL was your ghost writer -_- :grass:

Babylon
11-29-2014, 02:56 PM
I listen to those who inspire me, every time I do concepts and sometimes entire verses just pop up in my head, and I usually build off of that.

NOBLE
11-29-2014, 04:32 PM
I usually start off with a wordplay or a metaphor then build a line and a set-up around it.

TalkSick
11-29-2014, 05:00 PM
I usually start off with a wordplay or a metaphor then build a line and a set-up around it.

Preaching the choir. My whole bar stems from one single word. I built from the middle or end out.

stricc
11-29-2014, 05:28 PM
i never had a problem rhyming words so i use tha talksick and noble method...i just think of a concept and then make it rhyme...

V3numb
11-29-2014, 05:43 PM
prior was metaphors/punches and set around that

more closer to this point in time been working on flow, so a nice s heme and best concept i can do around it, if i cant come up with a nice overall pakage i leave it hanging somewhere ijn notepad while i work on a diff scheme