PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar in Economics?

Obey
09-10-2014, 06:13 PM
For the last almost 2 years, I've been bullshitting about going to College. The realization is hitting me that (unfortunately) you do need a degree to exceed. So I've been checking out 2 Majors in Computer Science and Economics. I'm liking Economics, seems like something I'd be interested in. Also Computer Sciences because it's the most in-demand job right now. Anyone have any experiences w/ the both of them and could give me some hints or pointers?

Obey
09-10-2014, 06:53 PM
id stick to computer science.
its one of the few fields that will continue to expand. unfortunately, since its so important you'll be competing against the best of the best your whole life.
that can either motivate you or crush you

and a degree doesnt mean anything these days
you need to get yourself a masters to make something of yourself

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take that into consideration. I've read Economics is great because it covers multiple fields that businesses are looking for. Ex: Banking, Product Management, etc.. Any experience with it?

Obey
09-10-2014, 07:15 PM
yup lots of experience with it
not personally per se but the majority of my family is involved in business in some capacity or another. many of them are wildly successful and it makes me feel like shit bout myself lol

a great way to get an understand what direction you wanna go in school is to start looking at jobs that you like. literally go on company websites in your preferred career area and look at what type of education they are looking for.
it doesnt really matter what any book or guidance counsellor will tell you ... what matters at the end of the day is what the employers are looking for

but if you plan on ever holding a senior level position at a good company youre looking at a masters degree at least

That's a great point, I didn't even think of the job aspect right away. I'll look into that tonight after Basketball. Seems like it pays well, so hopefully I find something in the field I'm interested in. Gonna check out Computer Eng. also, thanks been more helpful than you think.

Student
09-10-2014, 07:18 PM
It's Also About Who You Know, Unfortunately, So I'd Say Be Nice To Everyone In College Because You Never Know. Steve "Cockblocking" Davidson Might Be Your Boss One Day And Eric "Bully Extraordinaire" Gates Might Be Your Interviewee. Other Then That Co-Sign What Jason Said, Anything Computing-Wise Is On The Rise Right Now And Will Be For Several Decades As We Progress Towards A Future Where We Rely More And More On Technology To Complete Tasks. Definitely Lean Towards Computer Science And If You've Got The Patience More Towards Computer Programming.

Wonderbred
09-11-2014, 12:21 AM
For the last almost 2 years, I've been bullshitting about going to College. The realization is hitting me that (unfortunately) you do need a degree to exceed. So I've been checking out 2 Majors in Computer Science and Economics. I'm liking Economics, seems like something I'd be interested in. Also Computer Sciences because it's the most in-demand job right now. Anyone have any experiences w/ the both of them and could give me some hints or pointers?

Econ major here so I figured I'd weigh in. I actually wanted to go into computer science until senior year of high school until I really started getting into politics and stuff. Personally, I think economics is fun because it's not an exact science and there are so many different competing theories and everything we do revolves around econ somehow. If you want to know whether you'll be interested in it, go read "I, Pencil" by Leonard Read and then some denser books on basic economic principles or whatever. Don't worry about job prospects too much, there are plenty of in-demand jobs in finance, accounting, policy analysis, you name it. It's a flexible degree.

Computer science is a good marketable skill, but a lot of people (myself included) learn some basic programming on the side to put on a resume in addition to their degree. I don't know how you are with math and science stuff, but most computer science programs require a bunch of math (advanced calculus, linear algebra, discrete math) and usually some science electives. If you're choosing a major just based on job opportunities and you're willing to do computer science, you might as well do some kind of engineering instead. It's not much more difficult than CS but it's a lot more in-demand, at least in the sense that you don't have to be the best in your field to get a decent job.

Personally, I'd say get a degree in something that you're actually interested in. There are jobs for every major if you're good enough, and you're more likely to be good at something that you care about. If you do end up taking econ, though, it would look really good to minor in some kind of STEM subject like statistics, math, or even a CS minor. Student nailed it, but the biggest thing anyone will tell you about school is that it's more about networking than learning. You pretty much have to find some kind of internship as an undergrad if you want a good job in your field after graduation. Best of luck, and feel free to hit me up if you need anything too.

Fiji Osa
09-11-2014, 12:56 AM
What Jason said .. I wouldn't necessarily focus on CS in fact where you can be considered a job and is never going away is IT .. get certifications in that and a degree in a related field and you can always find a contract

OSKAR
09-11-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm doing a BSc in Economics, heading into my last year and thinking of doing a Masters in Finance as I wanna work as an investment banker. Economics is actually pretty fun if you like looking up information and interpreting it your own way. The good thing about Economics is that it's both a Theoretical and Mathematical science. Unlike other subjects it won't bore you with having to read tons of books and learn tons of theories and definitions off by heart (Biology for example). Yes you do have to know definitions such as inflation or unemployment for example, you do have to know alot of graphs and how to draw them and you do have to know equations to support your argument mathematically, but what I like about Economics is that once you've learnt all these things you are supposed to give your own analysis. In my degree for each question there is no right or wrong, as long as you support your opinion with facts and theory you are solid, there isn't only one outcome as in Maths.

I got some friends who are doing computer science at uni level and you have to like coding. If you don't enjoy doing coding then I'd advise you to stay away from that. Like Jason said a masters is what counts the most and having spoken to many Universities in the UK about a masters degree they all told me that they want their students to have a general knowledge of economics. So, if you decide to study economics its best that for your first Degree you don't go and apply for Finance & Accounting for eg.