PDA

View Full Version : How do you define "Intelligence"

Enfinite
06-24-2014, 01:01 PM
This is something I thought about when reading that IQ thread. Seems some people base intelligence off of academics, and test scores.

I personally believe intelligence isn't what you learn in school, but rather what you learn in life in general. Experience. The reason I say this is because some people have an aptitude for school. I know I didn't. Some could sit, learn, study, do homework, ace tests, get A's, and be deemed more intelligent than those who didn't. Some kids didn't care, flunked out, but were still just as intelligent as those with the A's.

My belief is intelligence is based off of experience, and how you learn, and apply that experience for future use. Not memory recall. Sure you can be a science "genius", but does that mean you'd have the aptitude to start a business and build it into an empire from the ground up? Not at all. So intelligence shouldn't be based merely on a scale, such as an IQ test. Some people are terrible at tests, get nervous and flunk. Doesn't mean they aren't intelligent individuals. Everyone is a genius at something, I find IQ testing unfair in that matter because they only test in certain categories.

Babylon
06-24-2014, 01:04 PM
I personally believe that intelligence is everything you can learn. You can obtain intelligence from school, or as you said from street knowledge or experience. It all plays a part in making you learn things, it makes you smarter, which is intelligence.

Wonderbred
06-24-2014, 01:14 PM
I agree, although grades and test scores usually correlate to a high IQ. High IQ doesn't necessarily indicate a great deal of intelligence, however.

Dean
06-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Intelligence is the aptitude or ability to reason things out.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Grades aren't an accurate measure of a person's intelligence. There's plenty of people, currently failing high school, who are smarter then straight A students. Most of the classes in my school revolve around rote memorization, so You don't necessary have to be intelligent to do well. (You just have to put in the work and effort)

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Also I agree with Enfinite on test anxiety affecting IQ scores.

Babylon
06-24-2014, 01:41 PM
I was homeschooled due to travel for more than a few years, and hacked the online school's program to make it think I had completed assignments/tests before I had, then used this to just copy & paste answers for shit. It was awesome tbh.

I'm pretty lazy.

Rant
06-24-2014, 01:46 PM
There are remarked to be 9 major types of intelligence present within the human psyche.

1 Naturalistic Intelligence - This typically deals with those who are gifted in things such as botany, and agriculture.
2 Musical Intelligence - This is obvious.
3 Logical-mathematical Intelligence - This is obvious.
4 Existential Intelligence - This is a type of intelligence dealing largely with philosophically minded people, focusing largely on questions of existence.
5 Interpersonal Intelligence - Your intelligence regarding relationships with others in social constructs.
6 Bodily-kinesthetic Intelligence - Your intelligence regarding athletics.
7 Linguistic Intelligence - Your intelligence regarding language often times encompassing the ability to verbalize with a broad vocabulary.
8 Intra-personal Intelligence - Your intelligence regarding yourself, introspectively.
9 Spatial Intelligence - Your intelligence regarding spatial recognition, and reasoning ability.

Shodan
06-24-2014, 01:51 PM
I was homeschooled due to travel for more than a few years, and hacked the online school's program to make it think I had completed assignments/tests before I had, then used this to just copy & paste answers for shit. It was awesome tbh.

I'm pretty lazy.

Lemme guess. FLVS.

Babylon
06-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Lemme guess. FLVS.

Nah, it was a christian online school (fucking dreadful, as the last bit of it I had become an Atheist. I was genuinely interested in biblical stories, though, so I wasn't too bad with it.

Wouldn't want to say the name, as doing so would incriminate me & because of the things I read in their policies; that's not something I want to do :D

Shodan
06-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Nah, it was a christian online school (fucking dreadful, as the last bit of it I had become an Atheist. I was genuinely interested in biblical stories, though, so I wasn't too bad with it.

Wouldn't want to say the name, as doing so would incriminate me & because of the things I read in their policies; that's not something I want to do :D

Well, that explains it. I wouldn't expect those sort of people to be competent programmers or web designers.

Dean
06-24-2014, 02:10 PM
I remember thinking my honors physics course was the hardest class imaginable. Lol. I think I even posted a thread on beef about it, explaining how I'll never be able to handle the course. (Leading me to buy a book on how to become more intelligent lol) The class revolved around Critical thinking, as in, you had to THINK on the tests. This was unheard of, seeing most of my classes were just memorizing facts. However, ya boy dean buckled down and ended the class with a 93 overall. Ayyyyyyyyye lol

On another note, American kids aren't learning how to reason or think critically. Obviously, there's a problem with our school systems.

Shodan
06-24-2014, 02:20 PM
On another note, American kids aren't learning how to reason or think critically. Obviously, there's a problem with our school systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oBo8CJxatQ

Hubert Cumberdale
06-24-2014, 04:58 PM
I think the main thing is logical rationale.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I remember thinking my honors physics course was the hardest class imaginable. Lol. I think I even posted a thread on beef about it, explaining how I'll never be able to handle the course. (Leading me to buy a book on how to become more intelligent lol) The class revolved around Critical thinking, as in, you had to THINK on the tests. This was unheard of, seeing most of my classes were just memorizing facts. However, ya boy dean buckled down and ended the class with a 93 overall. Ayyyyyyyyye lol

People in my opinion think of schools the wrong way. People can say "schools should force you to think critically" or "schools should have more real world practicality", but for me that's not the purpose of school. School's 100% goal is to teach you how to be taught. The top students aren't there because they are more intelligent, they are there because they learned how to process the information better than everyone else. I haven't used it since so couldn't gauge my ability in it, but I had been able to memorize something like an entire 5 page essay and remember it for several hours (which came in handy as I never studied for any exam). I'd be able to find ways to break it down into small pieces, and remember all of the small parts. School taught me how to do this, and perhaps had I went down a different route it'd have been highly applicable.

Óðinn
06-24-2014, 05:02 PM
How do you define intelligence:

By Explaining complex information simply so everyone on all levels can understand clearly.