PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any Martial Arts training?

Godbody
06-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Seeing as how we have boxing fans and MMA comes up every now and then...does anyone actually have any martial arts training?

I fucked around and got a black belt in Tae Kwon Do when I was like 14. Since I was younger I don't really count that shit cuz those dojos take your money monthly so they're pretty much obligated to promote you...still, a nigga memorized all his forms and my kicks were impeccable

Then I took up Hapkido a few years ago briefly and even more recently I started fuckin with Krav Maga but got lazy and said fuck it

Enfinite
06-06-2014, 10:22 AM
I have 6 months of Krav Maga under my belt from when I was living out in Arizona. I buddy of mine and I were living out in Lake Havasu, and the gym we went to hosted a Krav Maga class. Took it up into the point I left.

Godbody
06-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Damn that's crazy shit b. I been thinkin about gettin back into Krav Maga but I gotta prioritize wtf Ima do and right now im focused on changing lifestyle habits

Nicholas
06-06-2014, 10:28 AM
I've fucked with Boxing, Karate, Tae-Kwon Do but none taken particularly seriously, though I did compete in Tae-Kwon Do and have a few medals to show for it.

X-Cellz
06-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Did Karate And Wrestling, But All This Means Nothing To UFC

Godbody
06-06-2014, 11:04 AM
I've fucked with Boxing, Karate, Tae-Kwon Do but none taken particularly seriously, though I did compete in Tae-Kwon Do and have a few medals to show for it.

Word. When I did Tae Kwon Do I did a few tourneys. No medals cuz it wasn't some competition shit but rather within the dojo or against other dojos

A punch/kick was 1 point..We had the sparring gear on with red/blue circles on the front & sides... & If you get knocked out of the circle you lose the fight

good fuckin times

Nicholas
06-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Word. When I did Tae Kwon Do I did a few tourneys. No medals cuz it wasn't some competition shit but rather within the dojo or against other dojos

A punch/kick was 1 point..We had the sparring gear on with red/blue circles on the front & sides... & If you get knocked out of the circle you lose the fight

good fuckin times

That's olympic/sport style TKD (WTF), I trained ITF with the TAGB.

Godbody
06-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I was with the World Tae Kwon Do Federation niggas

I have my Kukkiwon(idk if thats how its spelt) certificate too...which is dope because basically that allows me to go to any WTF dojo and start as a black belt

So if I fly out to fuckin Zimbabwe and they have a Tae Kwon Do school I start off where I left off

UhMAZING
06-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Let me guess, if you do martial arts for fun....you're a faggot? because only bitches love martial arts?

plus, stop lying like you really got a black belt...you probably just saying that shit because it's the most recognized belt in both karate and tae kwon do. I mean, if you got a black belt...why would you stop there and not move on to 3rd degree black belt?

Plus, just because you pay to learn karate or tae kwon do doesn't mean they HAVE to promote you to the next degree. If you don't pass the tests, you don't get your new belt...
(or stripe) easy as that. I would know, I was in karate and tae kwon do when I was a kid. Also I took first in state multiple times. Still have the tropies packed away in my closet somewhere, all busted up and shit. But karate and tae kwon do doesn't even compare to anything involved with MMA. It's not even a recognized fighting style in MMA, then again...Tae kwon do and karate aren't meant to be for fighting. It's meant for self defense and self control.

Godbody
06-06-2014, 01:28 PM
not only do I have a black belt but I still have the trophy and I also have the trophy for "Most Outstanding Student"...it aint nothin for a nigga to take a pic or go on webcam lol

I was shittin on all the lil niggas in my age group back then & when I got my black belt I had the responsibilities of teaching niggas their forms and I was training with adults...i was probably the only 'kid' to do so

I still remember the black belt ceremony. & why would I stop there? because niggas got other shit they wanna do besides be some Tae Kwon Do ass niggas lol what the fuck kinda logic is that

its like saying bro your hardest math class was Algebra II? Why would you stop there and not become a mathematician

Rant
06-06-2014, 01:33 PM
I used to watch Power Rangers as a child. Does that count?

Doer
06-06-2014, 01:39 PM
^ lol

Shotokan and just got into capoeira a month ago. My girlfriend Brazilian and she been doing for like 3 years and asked me to join her classes. Shit is dope once you get the basics down

Hubert Cumberdale
06-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Did Karate And Wrestling, But All This Means Nothing To UFC

What do you mean "all this means nothing to UFC"?

14 years old with a black belt? Complete McDojo. Doesn't mean you can't learn a lot from it all the same.

I had about a year of karate but it really wasn't for me. While I liked contact sparring, finding my timing etc. and got a lot from the stretching and stamina benefits, I didn't like anything about the style. Having your back hand by your side is terrible technique. My sensei said "It's okay to have your hands up in boxing, but in karate we need to defend body kicks". Has this guy never seen kickboxing, muay thai etc. etc.? He was amazing at what he did, but he was terrible at teaching it I found.

I've been doing a "traditional" yet modern martial art for a while now, I think 2 or years. I'd probably say it's like a slightly more basic form of Wing Chun. Wrist Locks, Leg Locks, Throws, Chokes and Form is basically what it consists of. I like how our basic kicking techniques are fairly original ones, so our foundation is somewhat unorthadox. White belt is stomp kicks, front kicks, round kicks, round knees and front knees. Yellow belt is inside/outside crescent kicks, push and side kicks. Green belt is spinning side kicks. Blue belt is hook kick. Red belt is spinning hook kick, front ball kick. Some techniques in there that aren't the most common in MMA, so it would be good to translate (absolutely NOTHING on freestyle kickboxing's originality all the same).

With in the next few years I'm hoping to be competing in something. It depends on what I end up doing. It could be amateur boxing, kickboxing, Thai Kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu, Judo or MMA.

I see a few people mention Krav Maga, I'm not big on it. It's hailed as "the best martial art", but it's very similar to military training (well it IS military training I suppose). The focus isn't on form and technique, but more so on being able to defend yourself with minimal training. That's pretty good if you're attacked a month into your training, but if you've been at it for like 5 years I'd prefer to do something that builds you into your techniques. I'm Blue Belt in mine so far, and really the philosophy is that we're not supposed to be using our techniques right now. We're being given the building blocks to put the pieces together once we reach our 1st Dan. It doesn't mean they aren't highly applicable but you're not being thrown in the deep end. I want some contact sparring though.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Oh and WTF TKD is a fucking joke. It'd have you believe that TKD practitioners don't know how to throw a punch. There are loads of great fundamentals TKD can bring to someone but the WTF style is a ridiculous.

Godbody
06-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Wing Chun? I was always a huge fan of that but never actually put any thought into trying to learn it. I used to be big on Kung Fu flicks so I had an affinity for shit like that

Nicholas
06-06-2014, 02:22 PM
What do you mean "all this means nothing to UFC"?

14 years old with a black belt? Complete McDojo. Doesn't mean you can't learn a lot from it all the same.

I had about a year of karate but it really wasn't for me. While I liked contact sparring, finding my timing etc. and got a lot from the stretching and stamina benefits, I didn't like anything about the style. Having your back hand by your side is terrible technique. My sensei said "It's okay to have your hands up in boxing, but in karate we need to defend body kicks". Has this guy never seen kickboxing, muay thai etc. etc.? He was amazing at what he did, but he was terrible at teaching it I found.

I've been doing a "traditional" yet modern martial art for a while now, I think 2 or years. I'd probably say it's like a slightly more basic form of Wing Chun. Wrist Locks, Leg Locks, Throws, Chokes and Form is basically what it consists of. I like how our basic kicking techniques are fairly original ones, so our foundation is somewhat unorthadox. White belt is stomp kicks, front kicks, round kicks, round knees and front knees. Yellow belt is inside/outside crescent kicks, push and side kicks. Green belt is spinning side kicks. Blue belt is hook kick. Red belt is spinning hook kick, front ball kick. Some techniques in there that aren't the most common in MMA, so it would be good to translate (absolutely NOTHING on freestyle kickboxing's originality all the same).

With in the next few years I'm hoping to be competing in something. It depends on what I end up doing. It could be amateur boxing, kickboxing, Thai Kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu, Judo or MMA.

I see a few people mention Krav Maga, I'm not big on it. It's hailed as "the best martial art", but it's very similar to military training (well it IS military training I suppose). The focus isn't on form and technique, but more so on being able to defend yourself with minimal training. That's pretty good if you're attacked a month into your training, but if you've been at it for like 5 years I'd prefer to do something that builds you into your techniques. I'm Blue Belt in mine so far, and really the philosophy is that we're not supposed to be using our techniques right now. We're being given the building blocks to put the pieces together once we reach our 1st Dan. It doesn't mean they aren't highly applicable but you're not being thrown in the deep end. I want some contact sparring though.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Oh and WTF TKD is a fucking joke. It'd have you believe that TKD practitioners don't know how to throw a punch. There are loads of great fundamentals TKD can bring to someone but the WTF style is a ridiculous.

TBH MMA Training is the best training you can do for self-defense, there is nothing more real. If I had to pick two things to train in it would be Boxing and BJJ.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Oh and WTF TKD is a fucking joke. It'd have you believe that TKD practitioners don't know how to throw a punch. There are loads of great fundamentals TKD can bring to someone but the WTF style is a ridiculous.

I didn't want to shoot Godbody down but yeah, WTF is ridiculous lol

Hubert Cumberdale
06-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Wing Chun? I was always a huge fan of that but never actually put any thought into trying to learn it. I used to be big on Kung Fu flicks so I had an affinity for shit like that

Yeah I'd love to give it a go myself. The "sticky hands" (giggity) stuff is awesome. That's where we kind of take influence from it. Some of what we train will be chaining our wrist locks together. So going from like 1 to 8 is what I have now. That kind of comes from that Wing Chun element cause you're using your hands and forearms etc. to make sure they never manage to break free of what you are doing. You always have control.

TBH MMA Training is the best training you can do for self-defense, there is nothing more real. If I had to pick two things to train in it would be Boxing and BJJ.

Yeah MMA training gives you your striking, physical strength, stamina and wrestling all in one go. I think doing MMA would allow me to make my 'life' about martial arts, but at the same time I'm not one of these MMA fans who dismisses stuff because "UFC fighters don't do it". There are millions of BJJ submissions that can't be done inside the cage, or simply haven't been. No one in UFC has been able to use Axe Kicks like Andy Hug did. Before Anthony Pettis, it wasn't believed that you could fly off the cage like Jet Li. Before Frank Mir and Jon Jones, that arm crank lock from the overhook position wouldnt have even been thought of. You bring innovation from other martial arts in with you.

I actually don't know what I'd want to pick anymore. Boxing teaches you sooooo much about punches, generating power, using speed effectively, punching correctly, using your upperbody to avoid being hit etc. I'm good with my kicks though, so I'm not sure if I'd want to move into an aspect where I wouldn't be able to use them. BJJ is something I've ALWAYS wanted to do. I was rolling with a guy who's been doing JJ for a few weeks now, and straight away I managed to reverse out of the full mount and into a leg lock. I've got crazy flexible legs and hips though so I'd have an advantage off the bat in it.

Nicholas
06-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Yeah I'd love to give it a go myself. The "sticky hands" (giggity) stuff is awesome. That's where we kind of take influence from it. Some of what we train will be chaining our wrist locks together. So going from like 1 to 8 is what I have now. That kind of comes from that Wing Chun element cause you're using your hands and forearms etc. to make sure they never manage to break free of what you are doing. You always have control.

Yeah MMA training gives you your striking, physical strength, stamina and wrestling all in one go. I think doing MMA would allow me to make my 'life' about martial arts, but at the same time I'm not one of these MMA fans who dismisses stuff because "UFC fighters don't do it". There are millions of BJJ submissions that can't be done inside the cage, or simply haven't been. No one in UFC has been able to use Axe Kicks like Andy Hug did. Before Anthony Pettis, it wasn't believed that you could fly off the cage like Jet Li. Before Frank Mir and Jon Jones, that arm crank lock from the overhook position wouldnt have even been thought of. You bring innovation from other martial arts in with you.

I actually don't know what I'd want to pick anymore. Boxing teaches you sooooo much about punches, generating power, using speed effectively, punching correctly, using your upperbody to avoid being hit etc. I'm good with my kicks though, so I'm not sure if I'd want to move into an aspect where I wouldn't be able to use them. BJJ is something I've ALWAYS wanted to do. I was rolling with a guy who's been doing JJ for a few weeks now, and straight away I managed to reverse out of the full mount and into a leg lock. I've got crazy flexible legs and hips though so I'd have an advantage off the bat in it.

I'm an ex-TKD practitioner and I honestly believe that most kicks are just redundant in a self-defense situation. They are unnecessarily risky, a good sweep kick can be brilliant but other than that I don't think I personally would bother with them.

Hubert Cumberdale
06-06-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm an ex-TKD practitioner and I honestly believe that most kicks are just redundant in a self-defense situation. They are unnecessarily risky, a good sweep kick can be brilliant but other than that I don't think I personally would bother with them.

I'd absolutely NEVER do a high kick in self-defence. Probably my favourite technique out of all of them if stomp kick to the standing leg when someone goes for a high kick. While I've easily got the flexibility to kick high, I prefer to do everything to the knees. My first technique in a "Let's fight, okay, meet you outside" situation would be stomp kick. Good chance of breaking their knee, you can cover up easy enough, and it probably gives you the distance to switch yo elbows.

Obviously that's the theory of it, some cunt might just knock me the fuck out first punch haha.

X-Cellz
06-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Dave i mean if u only have 2 styles and ur fight'n many styles.. u are limited
thats all i was imply'n

Godbody
06-06-2014, 08:14 PM
WTF isn't a joke it's just another branch of Tae Kwon Do. You learn mad shit besides kicks..Which is what tkd is focused on and punches.

Who's to say a great Tae Kwon Do nigga can't beat a great boxer

Hubert Cumberdale
06-06-2014, 09:58 PM
I'd say that an Olympic level WTF guy gets completely smashed in a kickboxing match against an Olympic level Boxer (And that's taking into account that Olympic WTF TKD is the best of the best, and Olympic level Boxing is barely beginner status).

WTF focuses on scoring points with kicks. I'd seen people get disqualified for excessive force in their techniques. You can't just go in and start throwing hands (which would be an easy as fuck strategy).

The reason WTF, at least Olympic ruling, is a joke is because the focus on kicks shows a huge weakness. Kicking is like 99.9% negated by standing in close. Someone is good at kicking, get into the phone booth with them. The only things really to look out for at close range are knees, stomp kicks and spinning side kicks, and I don't believe knees and stomp kicks are allowed in competition WTF TKD. It's a bit like the karate class I had. Me and my best mate started at the same time. We'd have some awesome spars, both taking some fairly decent shots. We went to competition and found out it was 4 man. Me and him went against each other first. He landed 3 shots to the body, he got 3 scores. I landed 3 shots to the face, I got 3 warnings for excessive force. I didn't even land with a fraction of what I would in sparring, and yet I'm nearly getting DQed over it. I couldn't go a points sport again. I'd have to do something that allows a finish. BJJ would probably be my favourite, mainly cause I don't reckon I'll be in shape for kickboxing, MMA or boxing for a while.