PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad is a "PG" drama (Possible spoilers)

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 03:18 AM
Granted I'm only on ep 6 of season 1.

But so far it's like the makers of Malcom in the Middle decided to make an "adult" version.

It all seems very tame at the moment and kind of harmless and "preachy" (Think the cop relative) he's so out of touch. He's like the Disney Land version of Vic Mackey from The Shield.

He arrested the native american guy for the missing Lab equipment. His explination for it was so lame and naive. "Oh he had a criminal record. we found a blunt in his car.

Bar the whole kidnap and bath tub shit it's very mild. especially after getting into True Detective.

Is this what it's going to be like for the rest of the series?

Is Heisenberg going to remain this Parental Guidance comic book type rebel/hero I'm supposed to root for?

Or is it going to ramp it up and delve into some real dark murky territory?

Not saying it's bad. But it does come across as a really timid take on a meth dealer. Like they aren't willing to take risks to really grip and shock.

There's the 1 scewhere Jesse and Walter are waiting for Tuco at the scrap yard and they look so ridiculous, especially Walter in that hat and shades. it's like some Laurel and Hardy shit.

I guess I'm struggling to take it serious as a hard hitting drama, or maybe I'm not supposed to?

Manhattan
02-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Co sign Jason. Trust this show gets fucking insane. It progressively gets better and better with more bad ass shit going down. It's actually up there in some of the best shows I've ever seen

Babylon
02-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Breaking Bad has the anti-hero story arc. Heisenberg will change, and you will love it or hate it. You probably shouldn't have made this thread, I can see people posting major story elements now lol.

Phil Banks
02-11-2014, 12:47 PM
lol Jesse still dress like a raver in season 1 n shit

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Man fuck Skylar, that bitch would rat out Walt at the drop of a hat.

When her sister got caught shop lifting and Walts asks, what if it was me and shes like, you don't wanna know. and now she wonders why Walt wont tell her wtf he up to when she gives him that ultimatum? that ho a no good rat.

tammy wynette stand by your man - YouTube

, bitch.

Hubert Cumberdale
02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Here's my problem...

"If gets soooo much better from season 3 on..."

I'm on season 3...it hasn't really.

I mean it's good, but I've finished 3/5 seasons and I'm not to pushed to watch any more.

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm on ep 5 of season 2 of a marathon. It's a slow burner But I am still wanting to click straight onto the next episode.

Hubert Cumberdale
02-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Yeah I've watched like 6 in one night before. Some parts are awesome. The end of Season 2 was good.

Dean
02-11-2014, 01:31 PM
End of season 4 is the climax of the whole entire series.

FreezyCT
02-11-2014, 01:35 PM
i agree with Jason, you get to watch the transformation unfold throughout the first season - and it takes time which is why it appears slow..i was like Just, i gave up on it after a few episodes but was told to stick through it, and im glad i did..the way the pace picks up as it goes on, you start to appreciate the first season more..i must've watched that first episode 3-4 times lol - just going back and appreciating who Walt was in the beginning

Student
02-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Watch The Whole Show And You'll Understand Why It Was So Slow In The Beginning, It's Completely Worth It.

Fredo Lombardi
02-11-2014, 02:08 PM
season 1 is like a chore to get through but its worth it
the show gets better by the season and even after the last episode

you will still want more

Hubert Cumberdale
02-11-2014, 04:28 PM
When does it pick up?

Dean
02-11-2014, 04:39 PM
When does it pick up?

Season 3 to the end of season 4 for me...

Season 5 was alriiight, just never captured the same heights 4 reached.

Hubert Cumberdale
02-11-2014, 04:43 PM
So the best show of all time is dope for 1 season and good for 3?

Dean
02-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Season 1- Dope
Season 2- Dope
Season 3- Really Dope
Season 4- Crazy
Season 5- Dope

(Last final episodes, excluding the finale)- Crazy

Hubert Cumberdale
02-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Season 1- Dope
Season 2- Dope
Season 3- Really Dope
Season 4- Crazy
Season 5- Dope

(Last final episodes, excluding the finale)- Crazy

1 - Okay
2 - Okay
3 - Good
4 - ?
5 - ?

TWD
1 - Dope
2 - Okay
3 - Good
4 - Dope thus far

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
So far for me it's.

1 = Ok
2 = Good and getting better

So looking good so far.

All my favorite shows have gripped me from season 1 and stayed consistent.

Phracture
02-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Gustvo and Mike is My fav Characters Honestly.

Dean
02-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I liked Jesse the most.

I like Walt at the start, then slowly began to hate him as the seasons went on.

Jesse Pinkman
02-11-2014, 06:10 PM
fuck Walt

Subreal
02-11-2014, 06:19 PM
I hated that bitch Skylar THE WHOLE FUCKING SHOW. LOL

V3numb
02-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I hated that bitch Skylar THE WHOLE FUCKING SHOW. LOL

foreal. lamoooo

The Ghost of Freak
02-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Just C , Freak's honest thoughts on Breaking Bad:

Walter is silly, Skylar is equally as silly, Jesse is Jesse, so I don't even know… sort of over dramatized at times… too unreal.

The Wire is a better show, on the other hand I stopped watching Breaking Bad sometime during Season 4, and need to finish….

But, still, its clear that 'The Wire' is a better written program and certainly more enlightening….. still need to see 5th and final season of the Wire as well tho….

Season 4 finale of the Wire made me flip my shit because I taught in the Baltimore City schools with some really good kids with rough lives… so, I started shaking, yelling, crying, the whole ten yards (I don't care if you judge me, because its real talk).

I am probably really bias as a Baltimorean, because I think the Wire reflects real issues, where Breaking Bad is way too fantastical at times, more like Dexter (of which I also still need to watch last season, but it is starting to get not so great so now Im putting it off) .

All I know is I never flipped that big of a shit about Breaking Bad, although it certainly is effective at evoking some emotion… just not really that much…. more uncomfortable than anything.

All three programs are good.

Manhattan
02-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Gustvo and Mike is My fav Characters Honestly.

Ya I hear that. Gus is a fucking boss and Mike is the fucking man. Sols honestly hilarious

Hubert Cumberdale
02-11-2014, 06:47 PM
People have different ideas of action than I do. The Wire and Sopranos have no action to me. They are all dramas. A gun going off isn't action. The Governor rolling up in a tank is action. A fight at the end of every episode of TUF is action. I find it very difficult to watch Wire and Sopranos without getting bored. Breaking Bad sits exactly on the line.

The Ghost of Freak
02-11-2014, 06:51 PM
People have different ideas of action than I do. The Wire and Sopranos have no action to me. They are all dramas. A gun going off isn't action. The Governor rolling up in a tank is action. A fight at the end of every episode of TUF is action. I find it very difficult to watch Wire and Sopranos without getting bored. Breaking Bad sits exactly on the line.

UnEtHiCaL

I understand this criticism ^^^ and agree for the most part.

Breaking Bad is successful because it incorporates more action than other dramas, but perhaps that is what makes it a bit cartoonish. 'The Wire' is a bit more real, but I can see how it could be less entertaining. Cartoons tend to be entertaining, so having a bit of an unrealistic or fantastical quality makes complete sense for a show like Breaking Bad , because it isn't as successful at the drama side imo.

And, please excuse my excessive use of the word cartoon.

-FREAK-

Hubert Cumberdale
02-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I still like cartoons so I suppose that's cool :D

Yeah it's like my mate who keeps mentioning how good Love/Hate is, and that it's completely realistic. To me, that's cool, but not what grips me in a show. Even if the situations are unrealistic, if I can be given the run of events in a realistic way, it works for me.

For anyone UKing it up, it's like Inbetweeners. At the end of the episode, the shit is completely off the wall, but you can actually understand and see how they got there.

Most impressive thing in Breaking Bad to me was that they managed to give me the end of the first episode in 1 hour. I didnt think that was possible tbh

Subreal
02-11-2014, 07:01 PM
And yeah my favorite character was Gustavo. I also liked Hank actually.

The Ghost of Freak
02-11-2014, 07:02 PM
UnEtHiCaL ,

Hey u.s. Americans watch Inbetweeners as well… I think I have seen all of the episodes or at least most, and the movie…. hilarious. Two thumbs way up your mum's bum.

But, yeah, cartoons are awesome.

Subreal
02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
UnEtHiCaL ,

Hey u.s. Americans watch Inbetweeners as well… I think I have seen all of the episodes or at least most, and the movie…. hilarious. Two thumbs way up your mum's bum.

But, yeah, cartoons are awesome.

The only british series i've watched is Sherlock, and it was dope.

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 07:05 PM
I've watched 2 seasons of Dexter. I liked it but I see the same similarities with breaking bad. It's cartoony.

The Wire was the shit. season 2 sucked though with the whole Port story, so boring.

I still feel breaking bad is like a tounge in cheek take on a meth dealer. a family day time soap version. The wire is a lot more grounded and adult.

True Detective is the same so far.

I'm still enjoying BB though. Does feel a little over hyped though. TD is the real deal though.

The Ghost of Freak
02-11-2014, 07:27 PM
I've watched 2 seasons of Dexter. I liked it but I see the same similarities with breaking bad. It's cartoony.

The Wire was the shit. season 2 sucked though with the whole Port story, so boring.

I still feel breaking bad is like a tounge in cheek take on a meth dealer. a family day time soap version. The wire is a lot more grounded and adult.

True Detective is the same so far.

I'm still enjoying BB though. Does feel a little over hyped though. TD is the real deal though.

What channel is True Detective on… you got me wanting to check that out now.

-F-

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Check my true detective thread. a streaming link to all 4 season 1 episodes is in there.

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Lol I knew the contact at the chicken spot was the black guy who works there, was so obvious. I'm slowly getting more and more into this. Saul is funny. Jesses a faggot for getting that chick he's banging on meth. Funny how when Walt gets the news he's getting better is when he gets worse. I can see him being a bad ass, still a bit too cartoony in his bad side for me but I can see that side of him getting good.

Subreal
02-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Yeah Just C, it gets good in my opinion, its worth a watch atleast definitely. it kept me wanting to watch the next episode to see what happens personally, i also completed it all online like ur doing

V3numb
02-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Lol I knew the contact at the chicken spot was the black guy who works there, was so obvious. I'm slowly getting more and more into this. Saul is funny. Jesses a faggot for getting that chick he's banging on meth. Funny how when Walt gets the news he's getting better is when he gets worse. I can see him being a bad ass, still a bit too cartoony in his bad side for me but I can see that side of him getting good.

it's a metamorphosis, walt kinda got annoying and overboard imo sometimes but in reality some ppl kinda are like that after they are at a point of death/greed, just somtimes not so cliche or corny lol

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 10:30 PM
I take that back, that bitch Jesse got hooked is a bitch. off that bitch Walter off her dont let that ho shake u down shes evil shes gonna come back for more!.

It's starting to go where I was hoping it would go.

V3numb
02-11-2014, 10:42 PM
I take that back, that bitch Jesse got hooked is a bitch. off that bitch Walter off her dont let that ho shake u down shes evil shes gonna come back for more!.

It's starting to go where I was hoping it would go.

what hoe you referring to btw.. the artist next door?

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Oh well I guess he didn't have to kill her after al lol

J u s T C
02-11-2014, 11:26 PM
I thought Gus showing up at the DEA office and dropping a donation in Walts fund was pretty bad ass.

Walts son and wife annoy me though, he gets home and the press are there. I know his son means well but there good intentions wind me up because it's always for the worse

I'ma stop posting for a bit now.

Subreal
02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
So do you like the show better now? as you keep watching episodes

J u s T C
02-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Yeah. It's getting better. Gonna pick up where I left off tonight.

Manhattan
02-12-2014, 02:32 PM

This right here^ I was into the wire pretty hard until the 2nd season and it got extremely boring. Haven't watched since but I need too

Hubert Cumberdale
02-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Potential spoiler, but nothing major...

I loved how Walt turned into just a regular dude when Skyler was trying to get him to plan everything. Like "Fuck, why did I let this nagging bitch in on my shit?"

Hubert Cumberdale
02-12-2014, 07:31 PM
lol Jesse still dress like a raver in season 1 n shit

I thought this was going to be a slow transition after you said this.

In one episode he was just wearing different clothes suddenly...and also got a hair cut...

Student
02-12-2014, 07:56 PM
I thought this was going to be a slow transition after you said this.

In one episode he was just wearing different clothes suddenly...and also got a hair cut...
To Be Fair, They're Long Episodes :D

Hubert Cumberdale
02-12-2014, 08:01 PM
It's still just good. This thread got me back into it and yeah. It's consistently good, but I'm hoping that S4 is something mindblowing, or that this last half of S3 gets very active.

J u s T C
02-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm back on it again.

Hank just tracked Jessie back to the RV.

lol I'm really REALLY getting into this now.

Hubert Cumberdale
02-19-2014, 07:07 PM
I've been on it since this thread, but I'm still not HOOKED. I like it an all, and there are some good moments ahead of where you are, but it's no Walking Dead to me yet.

I'm in the last few episodes of Season 3, and my knowledge of TV shows tells me that we might not see Gus for too long (no idea, no spoiler there). I'm excited for that because Gus is the man. Also wondering how Mike would tie into the situation if that was the case.

Skyler, fuck off.

J u s T C
02-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Yeah Gus is quality. He's the most interesting character. I like the mystery behind him and how he does most of his acting with body language. The guy who plays him is a great actor. I recognoisr him from something else, Can't remember though.

Saul is the shit to. He's the comic relief of the show.

Season 1 was soooooo slow. I just couldn't get into it.

I watched like 3 episodes yeaaaaaars ago. watched like another 1 or 2 then gave up again after a long break, until now after another break. Glad I gave it another chance.

J u s T C
02-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Well just got done with that episode. At the end Gus meets up with those 2 Mexi hitmen. Sounds like he's put a hit on Hank. They spoke in spanish and theirs no subs but his name was brought up and considering those 2 mexicans are bat shit crazy I think it's pretty obvious Hanks gonna get it.

Hubert Cumberdale
02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
If I'm correct, and you want any clarification, is that they wanted to put a hit on Walter over the Tuco, Gus said no because they have business, and instead handed them the man who shot Tuco; Hank.

Dean
02-19-2014, 07:46 PM
When does the walking dead get good?

I'm towards the end of season 2 and it's just been alright

Hubert Cumberdale
02-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Season 2 is DREADFUL in most people's eyes, although I think Shane is awesome.

The Walking Dead is all round awesome to me, but mid season break, S4...WOW.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Also, that last episode of Breaking Bad. I was going to finish it there,and now I HAVE to watch the next one.

S4 E10 for anyone who's that far.

J u s T C
02-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the translation.

I like the way the show plants seeds at the start of episodes with flashbacks and little tit bits you're seeing for the first time. Leaves you wondering. You forget about it because theirs so much going on then it comes full circle at the end to fill in the blanks.

The character development is good, especially with Walt and mainly Hank.

The only guy who doesn't change (Even though you start to think he has) is Jesse.

And he ruins a lot of his dialogue and scenes he ends a sentence with "Bitch"

Sounds forced like he has to say "adult words" to make the show more "adult" when he could have said what he said without throwing in his typical bitch at the end and it would have hit.

Hubert Cumberdale
02-19-2014, 08:00 PM
My favourite thing in the entire show is the relashionship in S4 between Walt and Jesse. They fucking hate each other, and it heats up a shit load. But every single time they are apart, they are risking it all to save each other's lives. I don't know if it'll be addressed, but it's the kind of thing I wrote about in English class in school. It's subtle, and you might not notice it, but literally every time they are apart, they are forever loyal, but together, not 4 words without some tension creeping in.

J u s T C
02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Lmao Gus is the shit. First waltzing into the DEA office and now hand delivering food to all the cops at the hospital

Hubert Cumberdale
02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Season 4 is closing, and man I have to say, it FINALLY got me. Better late than never, but this house of cards just collapsed and they have 2 episodes of the season to resolve it.

In the first episode, when we seen the dude in his underwear coming out of the smoking caravan in the desert, then 2 seconds later we had a nice guy chemistry teacher finding out he had cancer, I thought it was impossible for them to wrap that episode up in one hour, and they did it. I'm feeling the same way again here.

J u s T C
02-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Man. I'm sat there thinking Gus went to the hospital to see walt. check on him/send a message and totally forgot about the mexican hitman and how his boss was gonna get him a good lawyer so he could get to the bottom of why he went after hank and who pointed him in that direction. Now he's dead. I love the way it has a way of planting these seeds and making you forget about them using subtle distractions and miss direction until they've fully grown.

Babylon
02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Definitely a very well written show, in my opinion. Gus was my favorite character, and his closer was more than dope imo.

Hubert Cumberdale
02-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Last episode of S4 has my favourite and least favourite part.

The stupid part, which is indicated RIDICULOUSLY clearly, is the least favourite.

The VERY ending is my favourite. EXACTLY what Just C mentioned earlier. A simple glance which we took in half an hour earlier, was 100% gone from our minds, and then boom, end of the season.

But where the fuck do they go with S5?