PDA

View Full Version : EXPOS ARE FOR TEXT BATTLES

JR3Ddi
11-13-2013, 11:17 AM
IS IT JUST ME, OR DOES WRITING AN EXPO IN THE COMMENT SECTION SEEM LIKE SOME FORM OF SWAYING? PERSONALLY I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SWAYING PER SE, BUT SINCE IM BEING CALLED OUT ON IT BY MODERATORS I FEEL LIKE IT SHOULD BE BROUGHT UP (IF IT HASN'T ALREADY).

*IMAGINE "8 MILE" REINVENTED TO WHERE AT THE END OF THE VERSE, B-RABBIT GOT TO SIT DOWN AND HAVE A CHAT WITH THE CROWD TO EXPLAIN HIS METAPHORS AND WORDPLAY*

FOR THE MOST PART THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE ARE NOT SO DISCONNECTED FROM THE ART OF RAP THAT THEY CANT FOLLOW ALONG. IF YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT AFTERWARDS, THEN YOU DIDN'T SPIT IT VERY GOOD IN THE FIRST PLACE. IM JUST SAYIN'...................:high:

Hubert Cumberdale
11-13-2013, 01:19 PM
They aren't swaying.

But I do agree. I don't like expos. With the current style of text battling I'm using, I have to throw in a slight expo because I'm using personals, and I know a lot of people might not know my opponent if they aren't on the forums or whatever. But yeah, the way I see it, try and do your battle like you do a live battle. If someone doesn't get the line, they will not react to it, before or after the expo. You may aswell try and leave it all out in the box or player, and forget about additions.

Although, don't say "It's for text battlers". It's audio guys who think text battlers are beneath them who get owned when they come up against text guys in audio tournaments.

JR3Ddi
11-13-2013, 04:29 PM
I agree with most of what you said. I didn't mean any disrespect by the title. There are several text battlers that I think NEED to be in the audio lounge, believe me. I just meant writing out your battle for everyone to see is for text battlers. If an expo ends up changing the mind of a voter to go in their direction - then how is that not a form of swaying? Im talking strictly audio. Sometimes I just wanna explain what a little bitch people like Bnas can be during the battle, but that's swaying. Seems to be a flawed logic...

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

For the record - I don't think text battlers are beneath audio battlers...

Hubert Cumberdale
11-13-2013, 06:37 PM
I think it's usually held against a person if they add an expo, rather than for them. It kills the delivery of a line. You only get one shot for that "DAMN!" moment, and if the person has to pause your verse and read your expo to get it, it will pretty much kill it. That's why I'm against "complexity", or those stupid as fuck "Don't get anything? Don't vote!" comments. I feel it's generally the person's prerogative to leave it all out there in the battle. I don't mind lyrics because like myself, some people are accent-ally challenged, and it will help because sound isn't ALL that's important as the punches are too.

Really, it's not swaying, but I don't think anyone sees it as a favourable trait.

And yeah it was just your wording. There are SO many guys who think "Oh, you're a text battler. Pfft, you cant even rap man". Sure, you can have a bit of flow and a good voice, but lyrically, you will usually see text battlers, or audio battlers who've fucked around with text, are much better. In audio battling, you've got guys like Dono, Krhyme, YOU WISH, Illimit, Olde English etc. who were all impressive, and they all had long stints in text first. If you have the natural abilities, every strong text battler should give rapping a go though. Why not? Worse case scenario, you suck as much as me.

M-Rock
11-13-2013, 06:56 PM
If an expo ends up changing the mind of a voter to go in their direction - then how is that not a form of swaying? expos let the voter understand everything you're saying. Who wants a moron voting against them cause most of what you said goes over their head? I agree some verses don't require it but plenty do especially when it comes to wordplay that sounds naturally smooth. And im sure some voters dont need it either but why take the chance? Both battlers have the opportunity to do it so its not swaying or unfair at all. Why should audio dudes not have the same right to explain things people might not catch just cause they're spitting it? That makes no sense to me, if anything it should be more frowned upon in text because the verse is already there for the voter to see and digest at their own pace.

SIXX-SHOTT
11-13-2013, 08:24 PM
I agree wit Rock..i expo all my writtens as a force of habit but i dont think you could call it swaying..swaying would be posting some of my "opponents" lyrics then stating they were wack or didnt make sense..

Shezso Eu
11-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Disagree.

^when you develop smarter voters, that answer will change.

Hubert Cumberdale
11-14-2013, 04:15 AM
I agree wit Rock..i expo all my writtens as a force of habit but i dont think you could call it swaying..swaying would be posting some of my "opponents" lyrics then stating they were wack or didnt make sense..

Yeah lyrics and expos are different things to me. In audio, I find someone posting their lyrics helps me to flow alone a bit in my head.

JR3Ddi
11-15-2013, 08:22 AM
expos let the voter understand everything you're saying. Who wants a moron voting against them cause most of what you said goes over their head? I agree some verses don't require it but plenty do especially when it comes to wordplay that sounds naturally smooth. And im sure some voters dont need it either but why take the chance? Both battlers have the opportunity to do it so its not swaying or unfair at all. Why should audio dudes not have the same right to explain things people might not catch just cause they're spitting it? That makes no sense to me, if anything it should be more frowned upon in text because the verse is already there for the voter to see and digest at their own pace.

While I agree that all of that is true in regards to it being helpful with reaching the audience - I stand firm with the opinion, that if we want to be taken serious as battlers then we need to try to keep the platform we use as close to as possible, like real live battles; Where the one's who are battling don't have the opportunity to break down what they were talking about before the votes come in. Of course I don't want anyone to vote on my battles when it goes over their head. But finding a way to reach "the majority" while still adding complexity is really half the battle, isn't it? Songs don't usually come on the radio with an attachment for you to read their lyrics, but we still find a way to understand what they are talking about before we read them because we listen to it more than once if we don't understand it. I think if you listen to an artist twice and it's still completely going over your head - then the emcee didn't do a very good job of reaching the broader crowd. That's on the one rapping. Ya dig?

microdose
11-23-2013, 07:44 AM
I completely agree, and was thinking the same thing myself. The point of the text battles being limited in characters (bars/lines) is expressing whatever you're going to say in whatever you can fit in the box. If you write in a coherent manner the only reason it won't be understood is if the reader is, simply, dense; and if your written is legitimate, poetically valid, but still so obscure that people aren't getting it, be prepared to be misunderstood often. Lol. I'm not hating on anything or anyone that doesn't give me a reason to, I'm just saying I also had this thought naturally occur and I'm new to the site, haha.

J u s T C
11-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Lol at text battlers always or even most of the time beating audio heads. more often than not the better audio heads on this site beat the better texters. Only reason why texters get so many wins in the audio department is because it's so mediocre now. No disrespect to Dono but he woulda never made it to the final of a Grand Championship a year or 2 ago. he'da been lucky to make it to the 2nd or 3rd round 2 or more years ago. I mean that with then up most respect. Got nothing against Don. But it's a reality that this shits on an incredible decline and a lot of people are looking better than they actually are as a result.

Hubert Cumberdale
11-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Most of the time audio dudes beat text dudes? Examples please.

YOU WISH has achieved more in audio than you have. Just saying.

J u s T C
11-23-2013, 08:47 AM
What has You Wish achieving more than me have to do with anything?

Did I offend you that much that you're resorting to reaching for isolated incidents to belittle me as a form of kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

Are we back to what got you demodded/stepping down?

I've never battled You Wish nor took part in that tournament so that statement is completely irrelevant.

RULE
11-23-2013, 08:50 AM
:popcorn:

J u s T C
11-23-2013, 09:07 AM
You have 3 types of Audio battlers on L.B

Beat Battlers

Accapella Battler's

Video Battlers

Now name me a texter/2 who have won a beat based GC/Blue title?

It is pretty much Audio only heads who win them.

Where as Audio heads have won near enough equal if not more Accapella/Video based GC's/Blue title championships as texters. And those are what Texters are supposed to excel in.

Audio heads are strong in both departments where as texters are only just (at best) taking the lions share of the other half.

Hubert Cumberdale
11-23-2013, 09:07 AM
What has You Wish achieving more than me have to do with anything?

Did I offend you that much that you're resorting to reaching for isolated incidents to belittle me as a form of kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

Are we back to what got you demodded/stepping down?

I've never battled You Wish nor took part in that tournament so that statement is completely irrelevant.

YOU WISH - Text Battler, who jumped onto audio and easily smashed everyone.

Audio battling is actually better these days, because people are actually focusing on punchlines instead of just "who sounds the best?"

J u s T C
11-23-2013, 09:11 AM
The only reason audio heads don't dominate in text is because it's a step back to do text. I'm sorry but that's just a fact.

People who text make the natural progession to move onto audio. Not the other way round. Thats backwards on an Irish scale. Texters are allowed to dominate text because Audio heads allow it without even consciously making that decision.

The only time audio heads venture into text is as a stop gap too fill time when writing AND recording is too much hassle or simply isn't viable at that moment in time/curiosity.

The Ghost of Freak
11-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Just C , your comment about mediocre MCs looking better in audio right now is making me want to cry…. but not really. Anyhow, I do agree that audio has been going downhill for about 2+ years now, but some people really do get better... *Looks at self in mirror*

I suck at rapping like half as much as I used to. Plus, I have participated in text, topical, audio, and video tournaments on the site, and lost to good opponents who went on to win those tourneys (Such as Agonize in J.O.B. or Mrock in Audio GC)….. and still people give me shit.

It's because I use words like "thang" , RULE told me so….

Dono
11-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Well at least tag me if you're gonna say I blow.

J u s T C
11-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Like I said earlier I didn't mean it to be disrespectful (Kinda hard not to I know) I don't think you blow I'm just saying the competition is worse off. You can only beat what's put infront of you and so far you've done that so props.

RULE
11-23-2013, 10:55 AM
The only reason audio heads don't dominate in text is because it's a step back to do text. I'm sorry but that's just a fact.

People who text make the natural progession to move onto audio. Not the other way round. Thats backwards on an Irish scale. Texters are allowed to dominate text because Audio heads allow it without even consciously making that decision.

The only time audio heads venture into text is as a stop gap too fill time when writing AND recording is too much hassle or simply isn't viable at that moment in time/curiosity.

lmaooo good one.

Dono
11-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Eh. I've taken my fair share of criticism. Usually doesn't hit home too hard anymore, especially when there's nothing constructive to pull from it. I'm real disappointed with the tournaments turnout and also that I only have credit for my titles and tournament showings because 'other people didn't show up' but what else can I really do?

I feel like I've got a decently solid résumé but I doubt ill ever be taken seriously here as anything other than a topical head because of the way my voice sounds.

stricc
11-23-2013, 12:00 PM
expos let the voter understand everything you're saying. Who wants a moron voting against them cause most of what you said goes over their head? I agree some verses don't require it but plenty do especially when it comes to wordplay that sounds naturally smooth. And im sure some voters dont need it either but why take the chance? Both battlers have the opportunity to do it so its not swaying or unfair at all. Why should audio dudes not have the same right to explain things people might not catch just cause they're spitting it? That makes no sense to me, if anything it should be more frowned upon in text because the verse is already there for the voter to see and digest at their own pace.

real shit...i dont see how expos could be swaying in audio,most of tha battles are only a minute and some people spit alot of material in that time...most people aint gon re-listen to make sure they understood everything...why deprive ourself of tha ability to expo our bars just because live battlers cant?? if you lose a battle because tha other person expo'd their shit, then you aint deserve tha win anyways

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

i disagree with tha textcee's dominatin tha audio side if they wanted...but that's just me :)

UhMAZING
11-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Actually, Text battles you don't really need ANY expos..you can read everything in front of you. You'd be able to catch any metaphor or word play that anyone would feel they need to have an expo for. Audio battles however are slightly different...you have nothing in front of you to go off of. There isn't a script sitting in front of every voter dropping votes on a audio. Either the rhyme scheme is so complex that you just don't get the metaphor or word play, etc..when listening...
In ACTUAL rap battles they don't stop and give expos...INSTEAD to better make sure the crowd understood the content, they usually repeat the bar..."I said......bla bla bla" but in a 1 minute or 2 minute battle you don't really have the time to do that if you're trying to keep within the time restrictions. So basically the Mods are telling you to STOP SWAYING. not stop leaving an Expo...Because you do sway battles... with the site revamp and all I think a suitable punishment for swaying on a battle should be whoever swayed gets their verse and whatever sway comment, deleted and the battle re opened. But I'm not worried, JReddy can't even come with something complex enough to need an Expo.

Expo: He isn't good at rapping.

Dono
11-23-2013, 12:32 PM
If your audio bars can't be understood because they're 'too complex' you're a shitty writer not a genius that's too smart to be deciphered. You shouldn't need an expo for any format. But it does sway so I'm not above it when my opponent does it.

Fucking lizmans left and right.

Student
11-25-2013, 02:30 PM
We Have Had WAY More Text To Audio Guys Successfully Dominate The Scene. Illimit, Real Talk, remarK, Jason, UNKNOWN ARTIST/YOU WISH, Mayneak, Dono, Krhyme Killz, RULE, etc.

J u s T C
11-25-2013, 02:51 PM
None of them have won anything in audio besides Killz and UA.

And the only reason the transition from text to audio is more common is because it's a natural progression and not many audio heads fuck with text the same way texters do with audio.

So out of all the texters to make the leap to audio. only 2 of them have champed in audio in 7 years. Both of those were accapella, a texters strong suit due to their live battle circuit inspiration and writing style.

Yet mainly beat based (only audio) audio battlers have won equal if not more accapella tourneys whilst completely dominating on beat battles.

Joe MuGGz
11-25-2013, 04:27 PM

yup.. i agree..

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

sounds like a legit statement...

Fredo Lombardi
11-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Thats LB members trying to be complex but truth of the matter is its not really that complex
to need an expo for you should only do an expo if people ask for one

like its on some prime Lupe Fiasco metaphor type shit but i doubt members writing like that

HandJob Alias
11-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Actually, Text battles you don't really need ANY expos..you can read everything in front of you. You'd be able to catch any metaphor or word play that anyone would feel they need to have an expo for. Audio battles however are slightly different...you have nothing in front of you to go off of. There isn't a script sitting in front of every voter dropping votes on a audio. Either the rhyme scheme is so complex that you just don't get the metaphor or word play, etc..when listening...
In ACTUAL rap battles they don't stop and give expos...INSTEAD to better make sure the crowd understood the content, they usually repeat the bar..."I said......bla bla bla" but in a 1 minute or 2 minute battle you don't really have the time to do that if you're trying to keep within the time restrictions. So basically the Mods are telling you to STOP SWAYING. not stop leaving an Expo...Because you do sway battles... with the site revamp and all I think a suitable punishment for swaying on a battle should be whoever swayed gets their verse and whatever sway comment, deleted and the battle re opened. But I'm not worried, JReddy can't even come with something complex enough to need an Expo.

Expo: He isn't good at rapping.

Hahaha I think since im one of the only fellows to like you I better give you props on that ending to your comment cause everyone will pretend they didnt read it. Dont get me wrong, i understand why people hate you its obvious but thats why i love ya buddy...haha nice play on the EXPO rip

As far as the Explanation in the comments section, I agree wit JReddy's initial post in the thread. There is no need for them, I dont need someone telling me that an Arnold Palmer is a golfer when this whole time i really thought he was just a half lemonade half ice tea, or explain when they say "this IRISH bitch got my dick DUBLIN in size......(Doubling/Dublin).....its like no shit dude i get that your dick is now at a whopping four inches from some irish dude givin you a lappy...it insults my intelligence and takes up too much room in the comment section. Where am I suppposed to write my 1500 word essays if Mr Expo Dusch keeps hogging up my space..On the real, I do agree wit JRed...see you fuckers in hell

UhMAZING
11-27-2013, 12:23 PM
lmaoHandJob Alias is it really that obvious why people "hate" me? I can't help it. But in reality I think the only person on this site that does truly Hate me, might be Just C...I'm sure everyone else is just Annoyed with me at some point in time. Just like I don't really hate anyone on this site, except maybe Just C...but still at the same time I can't lower myself to the level of a "Hater" cuz I got respect for everyone on this site in some way. If everyone else on this site can come off coccy and arrogant and still be liked...why can't I? lol. I'm more of an asshole to get inside peoples heads, It's all in good fun and I don't really take it serious...If I couldn't handle some beef, I shouldn't be on this website...which goes for anyone else too. As for as JReddy, he does his thing...we seem to clash alot because we're both arrogant, narcissitic bastards. lmao. But don't flatter yourself thinking you're the only one, or one of the few that like me...Others just don't want to admit it. ;)