PDA

View Full Version : What's the key to making setups?

PrincessClaire
10-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Any tips on how to lay down some dope set-ups followed by a boombastic punchline? please! :popcorn:

Indonesia
10-29-2013, 02:17 PM
become smart enough not to use "boombastic"

Obey
10-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Relevance.

Dono
10-29-2013, 03:04 PM
The key? Joining a crew that's run by me instead of Punk. ;)

Anyway, I know this doesn't help right now but in the next week or so I should have an in depth video up at least on how to write punchlines. Probably setups later. So keep an eye out if you're still having troubles in a bit.

Phroxen
10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Don't use an axe scent.. speak very fluent instead.. or we'll smell it from a mile away & you won't be the sharpest tool in the shed...

V3numb
10-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Obey said what i was about to.. but he was missing a "." at the end

Godbody
10-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Come up with the rhymes first then the set up...so for example if you know cat & bat rhyme...Fill up the margin with a set up until you reach the word Cat, do the same thing on the next line with Bat

Blah blah blah i dont fuck with this cat/
Blah blah blah blah blah blah like a bat/

Execute
10-30-2013, 08:42 AM
First, come up with a phrase, syan "GRAMMAR SCHOOLS" now find another multi like it, say.."MANNER'S TOO", Now join them up like --

This Guy? Shit's Pants & Ain't Got No MANNERS TOO /
Ya'll See Him Fail And Get Marked In GRAMMAR SCHOOLS/

That's how it works, but be sure to get the multies down first.

-Apollyon-
10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Or instead of joining Donos weakness you could get with the heavyweights if you play your cards right :D.. Like obey said relevance.. You wanna create a metaphor or reference that relates to your multie in your punchline or vice versa.. Theres more to it though but thats all you get for now..

PrincessClaire
10-31-2013, 07:10 AM
THANKS alot guys/. imma take dis precious bits of knowledge an' wisdom from the pros :'3 :pimp:

Enfinite
10-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Make sure the things you say relate to the actual punch. Make sure it's written so the common people on the site will understand which is mostly American and Europeans. And whenever you're writing, ask yourself "Would I say it like this in a real life conversation", if not, scratch it, like that word boombastic.

J u s T C
10-31-2013, 11:54 AM
First, come up with a phrase, syan "GRAMMAR SCHOOLS" now find another multi like it, say.."MANNER'S TOO", Now join them up like --

This Guy? Shit's Pants & Ain't Got No MANNERS TOO /
Ya'll See Him Fail And Get Marked In GRAMMAR SCHOOLS/

That's how it works, but be sure to get the multies down first.

Thats not a set up. Thats irrelevant space filler.

Execute
10-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Thats not a set up. Thats irrelevant space filler.
That's a basic setup bro..and nope, it's not 'filler', Grammar,manner,school are all related shit ...

J u s T C
10-31-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't think you know how to produce a set up.

Execute
10-31-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't think you know how to produce a set up.

I know lol, what I wrote was basic, you can't go to advanced before learning the basic right?

J u s T C
10-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Thats not the point. in order for a set up to be a set up it has to be at least someway relevant to the final punch. Thats why it's called a set up.

Nothing was relevant. Thats what I'm saying.

Indonesia
10-31-2013, 01:04 PM
You guys are thirsty

Enfinite
10-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Ex, what Just is getting at is the only things you had relevant were the rhymes, that isn't a relevant set up. What does shitting his pants have to do with grammar school?

Execute
10-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Thats not the point. in order for a set up to be a set up it has to be at least someway relevant to the final punch. Thats why it's called a set up.

Nothing was relevant. Thats what I'm saying.

Manners,Grammar,School are not relevant? :confused:

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Ex, what Just is getting at is the only things you had relevant were the rhymes, that isn't a relevant set up. What does shitting his pants have to do with grammar school?

Well, ya'll know toddlers get schooled and taught where to shit,right? Making a way like that...

J u s T C
10-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Manners and Grammar schools are not mutually exclusive. Just because you're educated doesn't mean you're not and obnoxious rude big headed faggot.

SHARK BOY_
10-31-2013, 01:17 PM
i believe the thread is about "set-ups" before dropping the punch-line and thats what he's trying to do^^^ /just the set-up part

-Apollyon-
10-31-2013, 03:39 PM
i believe the thread is about "set-ups" before dropping the punch-line and thats what he's trying to do^^^ /just the set-up part

the title says "whats the key".. The only key you have belongs to your chastity belt..

Enfinite
10-31-2013, 04:44 PM
the title says "whats the key".. The only key you have belongs to your chastity belt..

I always thought Polly was the dick, looks like Phe is the one that really belonged in a cage :D

-Apollyon-
10-31-2013, 04:50 PM
I always thought Polly was the dick, looks like Phe is the one that really belonged in a cage :D

Polly belongs in a cage alright, a bird cage.. i belong in a mental institution..

SHARK BOY_
11-01-2013, 01:31 AM

i would'nt have had that belt if it was'nt for you:D and yes i pay instate tax'es

Execute
11-01-2013, 08:21 AM
i would'nt have had that belt if it was'nt for you:D and yes i pay instate tax'es

The key's in Shipwreck cove,beside Jack Sparrow's Mom's skull

-Apollyon-
11-01-2013, 08:46 AM

I just don't want any little boys touching daddy's little girl..

SHARK BOY_
11-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I just don't want any little boys touching daddy's little girl..

give it up old man your past 60:D when is the last time you pulled out the wood to axe anything?

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

The key's in Shipwreck cove,beside Jack Sparrow's Mom's skull

dude are you still into titanic2 ?the shit is long gone fam;)

Hubert Cumberdale
11-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Cunts are all terrible at explaining this.

There's a few definitions of set up. Mine really is the "set up to the punchline".

I'll show you a basic as fuck example of a punchline, and will highlight the set up.

If he's "popping caps" then it's OPENING BOTTLES

The caps wordplay is the concept. (Caps = Bullets, Caps = Lids)
The wording of "popping caps" is the set up.
OPENING BOTTLES is the multi/rhyme scheme and the delivery.

In the most basic punchline set up format, the easiest thing to is to pick a word that you know has wordplay.

Block = Location or Guard.
Hood = Location or Hood on a Jacket.
Bars = Rap Bars or Pubs
Arms = Guns and Limbs

Then, you pick the wording of the set up.

"Raise your arms"

Then, you pick the actual punchline delivery at the end.

"Guns? Nah you'll never 'raise your arms' like you were JOHN MCCAIN"

Shit punchline but easy to understand. Then, you work backwards. Add previous lines with the JOHN MCCAIN rhyme scheme.

SHARK BOY_
11-03-2013, 01:11 AM
^^^ eth is an fat cop with donuts who will say no to everything.http://www.howtovanish.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/hiding-behind-a-pole-fat-cop-hiding-behind-pole-demotivational-poster-1278398589.jpgand the funny part you'll never beat em to admit it<<< and this ones a compliment.http://crazyhyena.com/imagebank/g/kid-eating-donut-decided-to-become-cop.jpg