PDA

View Full Version : Expo Section In battle

The Law
07-02-2013, 09:15 PM
I think there should be an optional expo section under your verse. It can be just a small box similar to the verse box. It's a pain in the ass to always read the verse and scroll down through the comments for the expos', then if there is a link there is always spaces in it..

And let's face it, I'd say about 5 or 6 times out of 10 the expo's don't get read and that will cause the reader who doesn't understand to think the punch was weak especially if the expo is on a personal. If it's a personal and you have a link to a post, or a music track, or something that battler did, it's a slim chance that many people even go to that link to see what the personal is about.

Pugz

The Law
07-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I am more aiming for personals. Most people who vote, and I know this for a fact from battles on a previous account will not understand personals without an expo.

and even if you keep it simple they don't really get it.
http://www.letsbeef.com/battle_details.php?section=tb&id=459805
Illokwents vote.

Is it my fault he didn't know beyonce's daughter is ivy and steve burns is from blue clues.. He shouldn't have voted if he didn't get the lines... This isn't that great of an example because I didn't ahve expo's before he votes, but still an example nonetheless. If there was an expo spot, that would not have happened.

The Law
07-02-2013, 09:58 PM
It wouldn't take a novel explanation for a personal. A simple statement or link would do, but people don't even check that because it's in the comments.

I definitely wouldn't write a novel explanation myself, I didn't even expo the two lines he didn't get until he said he didn't understand them. I just would like to be able to drop a comment or a link or two for personals without it taking up space in the text box.

You know it's true. Unless it's one of the best heads on the site they don't care to check any links in the comments. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even check it for you guys.

Note to reference: I haven't even dropped any links in the comments, so it's not like I am trying to do this for myself because something didn't work out or anything. I just think it'll be a good idea. Even if the expo box is only allowed like 2 lines or so, something small.

Jason

The Law
07-02-2013, 10:03 PM
the best heads on the site will never have links in the comments

which is precisely the point

goodluck with your campaign though

I've seen it both in comments and in their own verse from the better heads. I do believe I've seen real talk do it more than once. But I'd have to go searching.

Aside from that, your own opinion..
Lets say you do have a really good personal, but it required a link to something he wrote elsewhere, or a track or something he did... you just write it anyways with no expo and hope they understand it?

V3numb
07-02-2013, 10:10 PM
honestly tho keep it to the general population and simple.. i have references to US ethics,media,etc and UK cats just dont get it at all.. i think ppl didnt even understand Mass was an abbreviation for Massachusetts.. and vice versa its hard for them as well.. plus in Audio they sometimes throw out fake american accents in order to avoid the Handicap on the mic

The Law
07-02-2013, 10:16 PM
meh im sure in the 1000's of battles its happened a few times

but trust me this expo thing is a crutch you dont need .. its in your best interest to get this idea out of your head it wont do you any good
the odd time you need an expo doesnt warrant having a box for it
and once its there youll use it more than you would

I was battling on the forums on another site, and I just liked the idea of being able to put the link right there in the expo and everyone just click on it to see where the personal came from. But yes, I definitely understand where your coming from.

It's crazy the different styles of writing on every site though. People on the forum battle sites are expo happy as shit. Especially the better writers lmao.

The doom
07-22-2013, 02:51 PM
I think there should be an optional expo section under your verse. It can be just a small box similar to the verse box. It's a pain in the ass to always read the verse and scroll down through the comments for the expos', then if there is a link there is always spaces in it..

And let's face it, I'd say about 5 or 6 times out of 10 the expo's don't get read and that will cause the reader who doesn't understand to think the punch was weak especially if the expo is on a personal. If it's a personal and you have a link to a post, or a music track, or something that battler did, it's a slim chance that many people even go to that link to see what the personal is about.

Pugz

To make it look better and easier for readers to understand, it can be done in a way that you have the option to add expo TO THE LINE ITSELF. So when readers read your spar n need an expo that you have provided, they just immediately put the mouse on your line or click on the line to get a bubble of the expo that you have put. I can see that way working out cuz it concerns specific lines.