PDA

View Full Version : recording studio help/tips

Erupt da Monsta
03-15-2013, 04:35 PM
I need some info on everything i need to buy to have the complete recording studio... I saved alotta dough so im about to hit ebay up and get EVERYTHING I NEED, so let me know if you know my niggas trying to have top notch everything down to the mic , already got the laptop....

want it to be topnotch cus its going to be a side hustle too charging cats to come record , a lil business if you may

TheAnonP
03-15-2013, 04:45 PM
are u plannin on mixing ur own shit as well?

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

If u planning on recording tho...that's what u need for the mic to work

1)Microphone:

http://www.themicstore.co.uk/mxl-studio-mics/mxl-770-studio-condenser-mic-with-pad-filter.html

This is the one I got..shit's pretty good.

2) Mic stand (unless ur planning to get a usb mic)

3) Pre amp:

http://www.themicstore.co.uk/mic-pre-amps/art-tube-mp-tube-mic-pre-amp.html

^ The one I am using.

4)If you want a good recording programme, try cubase...shit's good for mixing as well.

Then you need the extras like cables to connect the mic to the laptop and a pop filter.

If you wish, you can get some good speakers as well

Letum
03-15-2013, 09:15 PM
IamDuaneJackson Psy9

Xanda
03-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Naw Fuck That, Download Cool Edit Pro 2 For Free Off Youtube.. By You A Mic, MXL Is A Good Home Studio Brand... By You A Mixer/Mic Preamp... Then The Stand, Pop Filter, A Reflection Filter If You Want One And Just Learn How To Edit Vocals...

Thats All It Is Is Editing Vocals...
Me And My Homies Record With A Fan Running To Keep The Computer Cool, With A Busted Pop Filter And Have The Best Quality On This Muhfucka.... Just Learn How To Edit Vocals.

AfterThought
03-16-2013, 02:38 AM
Naw Fuck That, Download Cool Edit Pro 2 For Free Off Youtube.. By You A Mic, MXL Is A Good Home Studio Brand... By You A Mixer/Mic Preamp... Then The Stand, Pop Filter, A Reflection Filter If You Want One And Just Learn How To Edit Vocals...

Me And My Homies Record With A Fan Running To Keep The Computer Cool, With A Busted Pop Filter And Have The Best Quality On This Muhfucka.... Just Learn How To Edit Vocals.

Where's the tutorial you told me about? :(

ItzNDaSawce
03-16-2013, 09:09 AM
I need some info on everything i need to buy to have the complete recording studio... I saved alotta dough so im about to hit ebay up and get EVERYTHING I NEED, so let me know if you know my niggas trying to have top notch everything down to the mic , already got the laptop....

want it to be topnotch cus its going to be a side hustle too charging cats to come record , a lil business if you may

maybe my thread wasn't seen...try magix and start professionally basic
http://www.letsbeef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128833

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Magix music maker/music studio/2013 with sound pool..makes it easier to do ur own mastering

Psy 9
03-16-2013, 09:30 AM
With a fan running? I'm sure your audio quality is amazing -_- I would recommend a couple ways to go. For simplicitys sake you could go with a usb Mic like a Blue Yeti. It's a reasonable price and great quality once you learn how to mix. And yes you CAN use a mic stand with it. This is the way I go, it cuts out the need for a preamp and if done well enough can match or exceed the quality of a preamp/mic combo of equal price.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

As far as software goes using Magix is like trying to build a professional advertisement using Microsoft paint. At the very least try mixcraft (suuuuper easy to use) and suuuper easy to get a hold of - lacks in features. After that you could try nuendo, ableton live, adobe audition (my preference), pro tools, etc. Pro tools is the only one you might have serious trouble getting a hold of.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Then again audio recording techniques are like opinions and assholes, everybody's got their own. You just gotta figure out what works for you. 90% of it is just learning mixing like Swisha was gettin at.

Erupt da Monsta
03-16-2013, 09:46 AM
im not talking about techniques tho my niggas, ive got all that figured out .... Im talking about

equipment,

the best ish to buy , cus i want it to be like a professional studio nahmean... the whole setup

whats good

ItzNDaSawce
03-16-2013, 09:50 AM
if one cant use MAGI they got issues..ijus baught it last weekend on sale and already mad e a dope beat with 3 adlibs I vocalized on it..and 7 layers each a different sound..but wut I like beat wise to listen to or one to record on are very different im finding out

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

im not talking about techniques tho my niggas, ive got all that figured out .... Im talking about

equipment,

the best ish to buy , cus i want it to be like a professional studio nahmean... the whole setup

whats good

I have Magi software...standard mic..table prop no stand..an ALESIS soundboard/mixer..standerd ampage built into the mixer..everything digital..so mastering ur vocals aint even that heard..don't even have to double ya lines..most make the echo effect n e way..start simple..competition has the self studio market in a frenzy so it aint hard..ur first couple projects need to be mixtapes n e way..so take it easy and jus play around..shit..google or bing that shit

Xanda
03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Where's the tutorial you told me about? :(

havent done it yet.. its coming eventually though......

Phil Banks
03-16-2013, 12:54 PM
you need a mac screen or desktop first.... then i'd suggest some JBL speakers.... your def going to need some kind of sound card if your going all out pro quality not sure to much about those.... basically like most situations google is your friend so look for a sound card a mac desktop thats super fast... your choice of w/e program you fuck with....thats all preference.... but ya basically you need the good comp the good sound card the good mic good speakers good headphones.... going to need to sound proof the room with egg crates or w/e if you really got bread im sure theres more options there.... stand pop filter etc id get those cheap as possible since it aint much.... thats where your gonna wanna start searching.....

I saw you got a laptop which is cool but most of the pro studio's going to have a few laptops but with everything recording through the desktop an like I said from producers I know Mac is the preferred brand right now....

cant really suggest mic brands an shit cause I really got no clue an if your really gon do this it's a big investment so i'd suggest taking a day or two an just browsing reviews an shit.... pretty sure u can find some sweet offers at places like Guitar World maybe even some mint condition used ish...

One thing is if you just recording not producing tracks you dont rly need shit.... so just make sure you not buying shit unless your really going to need it, maybe buy a used mixer or some shit for aesthitic value if you gon charge ppl to record

skinEC~RRR~
03-16-2013, 02:12 PM
go to sweetwater and get the RODE NT 1-A bundle, the mic is usually 250$ alone but they have a 15th anniversary deal u get the mic, a shock mount, pop filter and 2 xlr cables for 239$-the mic is always reccomonded for startup studio's because it's so quiet-
grab an M box mini, presonous audio box, or my choice, the focusrite scarlett-u only need 2 in 2 out if ur just recording vocals-
mbox comes with pro tools SE
audio box comes with studio one
scarlett comes with abelton
I like reaper personally as well as adobe audition, there both great for vocals and user friendly..pro tools or logic is industry standard for mixing and mastering
then grab a mic stand-with an auralex sound treated mud guard 99$ or reflexion filter 199$ they attach the mic stand,and wrap around the mic-basically poor mans sound treatment..(its worth it) I own the NT1-a,a scarlett,and filter..so if u have any questions or want to hear recordings from the set up, holler at me
ALSO SCARLETT HAS 2 MONITOR OUT JACKS..MONITORING IS REALLY ONLY NEEDED IF UR MIXING, TO TRACK THE SOUND..ITS GOT A HEADPHONE OUT IN THE FRONT WITH DIRECT MONITORING AND 0 LATENCY...REMEMBER U GET A CONDENSER MIC , IT WILL NEED PHANTOM POWER, SO BE PREPARED TO GET ONE OF THE PRE AMP INTERFACES, OR GO WITH THE YETI LIKE SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONEES

Phil Banks
03-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeti is usb though i wouldnt suggest that if you looking for studio quality

skinEC~RRR~
03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
ya i know i was saying thats the only one you won't need phantom power with..blackmoses whats ur hard budget? i mean if u got it like that, there is the blue blueberry, thats what wayne traveled with in that documentary.-or the blue bottle collection 5999$ with inertchangable polar patterns- then there is neuman mics which are studio favorites-bro i used to work at guitar center gimme ur budget tell me how u plan to use it, what kinda music u wanna record, if ur gonna be mixing and mastering or just laying shit down, and i got u dude

IamDuaneJackson
03-19-2013, 06:33 AM
definitely dont go usb mic lol, you want a condenser... and for a mac you dont necessarily need a new soundcard i mean i guess you can be anal since you said you want a professional studio, but you dont really replace soundcards in the mac.. i guess you can call it a soundcard though, i just call it an audio interface, if you have a firewire usb port on your mac (are u getting a mac? i seen something about a mac) but use one that connects through firewire if you have it cause thats better than usb. i never got a new one, i just use whatever came in it, and honestly my friends 2011 mac mini with stock soundcard sounds better than my 2012 when raw and i think its because he has pro tools and i use logic pro 9.. so pro tools 10 HD i think thats the newest one... there's something about protools where i swear your raw vocals will just sound better, im sure there's a reason within the program if there's truth to it but thats one thing ive noticed. regardless, i couldnt afford buying it so i have logic pro 9 which i love but i do think raw recording in pro tools always sounds better, just my opinion, maybe its all in my head.

far as mics... i havent shopped for YEARS so no idea whats out there now..

mine is a behringer b2, think it discontinued in like 2009 or some shit, maybe earlier. still works great for me, i had went with a behringer ultra-voice for pre-amp, also had EQ, tube, compression, etc all on the box itself, but sold that and now power it with some scarlet shit a friend gave me

for me, long as i can create a product thats even halfway decent to listen to i really dont care, im not trying to make a song to be bumped in a club over a million huge speakers i just want you to hear what i have to say, I'm more focused on working on a gameplan for a mini-tour lately.

i use the newest i5 2012 mac mini with 16GB of RAM.. also make sure you can handle what you're doing computer wise, 16GB RAM is overkill but i found a deal.

easiest way to mix is once you have the program you'll use search youtube for tutorials in each area.. i watched and bookmarked logic pro tutorials for eq, compression, noise reduction, etc etc

skinEC~RRR~
03-20-2013, 01:22 AM
IamDuaneJackson-nice work..i got free beats that come with SRC copyrights on my soundcloud
www.soundcloud.com/ecduval

ItzNDaSawce
03-20-2013, 03:59 AM
competitions have one another(companies) fighting over prices and convenience that almost every program out there has an STUDIO FOR DUMMIES(as they call um) with professional formatting and mastering software..so honestly it don't make too much a difference when makin ur first EP..cuz its gunna be a mix tape if dun properly..don't try comin out like 50 cents first album..when people hear u the first time..its normally for wut u have to say..after they learn ya name..then they jus focus mainly on ur beats..so start smple bro..real talk..people gunna dig ya if ur hearts in the music..not ur wallet..real talk..i fucks with the Magix Music Maker 2013..studio in a box..that big timers are usin once they learn to make they own beats..thats how u stay fresh..all original

IamDuaneJackson
03-20-2013, 09:49 PM
IamDuaneJackson-nice work..i got free beats that come with SRC copyrights on my soundcloud
www.soundcloud.com/ecduval

good looks ill check them out, got a few EP's im working on together right now so perfect timing

Erupt da Monsta
03-23-2013, 09:38 AM
you need a mac screen or desktop first.... then i'd suggest some JBL speakers.... your def going to need some kind of sound card if your going all out pro quality not sure to much about those.... basically like most situations google is your friend so look for a sound card a mac desktop thats super fast... your choice of w/e program you fuck with....thats all preference.... but ya basically you need the good comp the good sound card the good mic good speakers good headphones.... going to need to sound proof the room with egg crates or w/e if you really got bread im sure theres more options there.... stand pop filter etc id get those cheap as possible since it aint much.... thats where your gonna wanna start searching.....

I saw you got a laptop which is cool but most of the pro studio's going to have a few laptops but with everything recording through the desktop an like I said from producers I know Mac is the preferred brand right now....

cant really suggest mic brands an shit cause I really got no clue an if your really gon do this it's a big investment so i'd suggest taking a day or two an just browsing reviews an shit.... pretty sure u can find some sweet offers at places like Guitar World maybe even some mint condition used ish...

One thing is if you just recording not producing tracks you dont rly need shit.... so just make sure you not buying shit unless your really going to need it, maybe buy a used mixer or some shit for aesthitic value if you gon charge ppl to record

good looks on that mac advice, i was just gonna use the reg laptop i have but i see where your going with that

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

definitely dont go usb mic lol, you want a condenser... and for a mac you dont necessarily need a new soundcard i mean i guess you can be anal since you said you want a professional studio, but you dont really replace soundcards in the mac.. i guess you can call it a soundcard though, i just call it an audio interface, if you have a firewire usb port on your mac (are u getting a mac? i seen something about a mac) but use one that connects through firewire if you have it cause thats better than usb. i never got a new one, i just use whatever came in it, and honestly my friends 2011 mac mini with stock soundcard sounds better than my 2012 when raw and i think its because he has pro tools and i use logic pro 9.. so pro tools 10 HD i think thats the newest one... there's something about protools where i swear your raw vocals will just sound better, im sure there's a reason within the program if there's truth to it but thats one thing ive noticed. regardless, i couldnt afford buying it so i have logic pro 9 which i love but i do think raw recording in pro tools always sounds better, just my opinion, maybe its all in my head.

far as mics... i havent shopped for YEARS so no idea whats out there now..

mine is a behringer b2, think it discontinued in like 2009 or some shit, maybe earlier. still works great for me, i had went with a behringer ultra-voice for pre-amp, also had EQ, tube, compression, etc all on the box itself, but sold that and now power it with some scarlet shit a friend gave me

for me, long as i can create a product thats even halfway decent to listen to i really dont care, im not trying to make a song to be bumped in a club over a million huge speakers i just want you to hear what i have to say, I'm more focused on working on a gameplan for a mini-tour lately.

i use the newest i5 2012 mac mini with 16GB of RAM.. also make sure you can handle what you're doing computer wise, 16GB RAM is overkill but i found a deal.

easiest way to mix is once you have the program you'll use search youtube for tutorials in each area.. i watched and bookmarked logic pro tutorials for eq, compression, noise reduction, etc etc

goodlooks too yo, alot of good info in that right there

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

And nah skin... i aint droppin 6 stacks ona mic haha .. most i would do is prolly 500 if that... but if its worth it 500