PDA

View Full Version : Dope Battlers

Streetz De Hood
03-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Before anybody catches feelings, This is JUST a discussion.

There's been endless numbers of "best on LB" threads and even more cats walking round with egos off beating this person and that person and we've seen cats put out some crazy nice lines. But my question is...

If somebody puts out a "heavyweight" verse but takes 5-6days straight of writing and tweaking in order to do so, are they really a dope battler, or just a really good brainstormer? How much of it is pure skill and how much of it is fasting and praying to the Lord that they'll find enough change in the sofa to buy another light bulb for that brain?

DISCUSS.

Erupt da Monsta
03-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Meh, it depends cus... I think most niggas that are actual heavyweights dont get too much fun out of battling unless they get the urge....

but to answer ya question.....

if a heavyweight takes that long to post... more than likely he didnt spend that much time on the verse, he prolly just went about his normal day those 5-6 days, and when a line/concept hit him he wrote it down etc etc..

or...

he completely blew the battle off till the last day or two, and then started to write for it

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

More than likely the last

J u s T C
03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
^ happens all the time. Nobody spends that time writing. It boils down to priorities and urge.

Streetz De Hood
03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Most def. For example that's how I am with the tourneys. Usually these rounds start on the weekend and thats when im ghost. so i key most of it dat monday evening n da last 5-6 lines tuesday afternoon do a lil bit of tweak to make sure i aint spell nun wrong n to condense..n then post dat night (like i did this round). BUT with that said my question was about the ones who DO. Ight maybe I shouldn'tve said heavyweight verse but u get what im tryna say right? lol

Erupt da Monsta
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I dont get it brah... lol

Im confused now...

:(

Streetz De Hood
03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Black Moses this is more so what I meant to say: If somebody puts out a "heavyweight" verse but takes 5-6days straight of writing and tweaking in order to do so, would u consider them to be a dope battler, or just a really good brainstormer?

J u s T C
03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
A dope battler who takes his time lol

Erupt da Monsta
03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
oh, yeah no doubt, lol what kinda question is that... time doesnt matter yo tbh.... its the end result that makes someone dope.......

time doesnt matter

if you dope you dope, regardless of how long it took

cus a middleweight can take 2 weeks to write a verse nothin but writing, and it still come off as average nahmean

Streetz De Hood
03-13-2013, 02:43 PM
lol@ Just C Im not gon put names out but there's cats that'll literally IM me lines for a week str8 askin if its dope..it'll start off ight..n end up actually being a pretty good verse by the end of the week but I idk if I'd necessarily consider them dope or not bc of all it took for them to reach that point. I mean I do get opinions here n there but only after im just about done n its mainly just to spellcheck cuz since i key my verses there's bound to be somethin spelled wrong.

Erupt da Monsta
03-13-2013, 02:44 PM
then you have some middleweights that are middle weights for the simple fact they dont wanta put the time into crafting a dope verse.....

so whoever is IM'ing you is actually taking the ness. steps to become or be seen as a heavyweight

takes alot of time/practice to be able to make a dope verse in one sitting tbh

Streetz De Hood
03-13-2013, 02:46 PM
oh, yeah no doubt, lol what kinda question is that... time doesnt matter yo tbh.... its the end result that makes someone dope.......

time doesnt matter

if you dope you dope, regardless of how long it took

cus a middleweight can take 2 weeks to write a verse nothin but writing, and it still come off as average nahmean

I dont think I agree with that. I mean yeah the battles arent live so technically cats could take us long as they want. But idk i dont think I could consider somebody that has to be fully consumed by their verse for a whole week just for it to come out nice to be dope.. seems im the only one that thinks that though lol

Erupt da Monsta
03-13-2013, 02:49 PM
thats exactly why you still a middleweight bro

no hate

:)

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

You dont just become dope overnight brahbrah

you gotta put the work in straight up

J u s T C
03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
lol@ Just C Im not gon put names out but there's cats that'll literally IM me lines for a week str8 askin if its dope.

Nah I hear what your saying. its easy to take your time and drop a really good verse then rush 1 out and fall flat on your ass. Some people just have different approaches. or can do both quick n patient. I guess the answer is both. they can be average normally but take time and be dope. or they can do both. only taking their time will make it A LOT better. it depends on the person.

On a side note I don't envy you letting people IM you bars man lol. Once you say yes it never stops. I've had a few people randomly IM me with a 100 bar copy n paste n I'm like *sigh* Its 1 of the reasons why I don't nrmally have my I.Ms on. we can be cool as fuck but PLEASE don't IM me your bars looking for a breakdown.

Erupt da Monsta
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
^yeah thats what i was getting at right there

Phil Banks
03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
some shit takes me longer to write.... i dunno i've prolly never sat an written bars for longer then 45 min an thats on some song shit with mad bars.... 2 minute audio really isnt that many lines so battles here have never been about time its just actually gettin in the zone like i wan write

Phe
03-14-2013, 02:23 AM
However long it takes them to write bars has nothing to do with them being dope.. If their bars are dope then their dope..

RULE
03-14-2013, 04:08 AM
longest i ever spent writing bars was an hour for a 64 liner. i a spent 20 minutes of that hour eating chicken!

TheAnonP
03-14-2013, 04:25 AM
lier ^...he was on msn sending me lil 3 line punches every hr

Erupt da Monsta
03-14-2013, 09:04 AM
RULE a flexer yo... thats why it takes him so long to reply to battles haha

RULE
03-14-2013, 01:04 PM
jokers. im the fastest draw in the west!

IV
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
I understand what Streetz is saying lol, and 100% get what he means. Is somebody really that dope if they have to spend days and days racking their brain researching concepts and trying to force it into making sense, or are they dope if they can produce a sick verse in a couple hours with minimal effort, because it would seem "coming naturally" = DOPE.

no homo.

Óðinn
03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah...all depends on what type of battle that it is though.

Text - few hours lets say, an drop a top quality verse = dope
Text - few days to drop a top quality verse = isn't dope

but if it's in a live situation, then's diff as over the course of time you have coming to the battle event you're gonna be writing an rewriting bars over an over.....

SoupErb
03-14-2013, 02:47 PM
I take forever writing bars; I don't think it helps with all the abuse my brain has taken over the years though.

I understand that taking 3 days to write 4 bars is abit of a stretch - But if those 4 bars are dope as fuck? It don't matter, long as YOU personally think those bars were worth the time spent writing them - Then you good.

Erupt da Monsta
03-14-2013, 03:17 PM
haha Rhet knows whassup tho, wish that nigga was here, he can vouch for the fact in my battle with Dissizit in tourny 8 i literally was throwin him bars and made that verse in like 20 min from start to finish pushin the deadline haha

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

I know Rule can attest to the fact he would hit me up via I.M , like bro deadlines soon, and i be like, ait yo startin now... lol

RULE
03-14-2013, 03:44 PM
IV seen me write bars in seconds. I couldnt spend too long writing bars, probably end up over-thinking shit and end up like Lizman.

Q
03-14-2013, 04:01 PM
IV end up over-thinking shit and end up like Lizman.

Lmfaoooooooooo

IV
03-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah I seen how quickly rule writes bars haha and you too Erupt, I think that's why I agree with Streetz thread, dope rappers don't need days and days and days to come up with a few bars

Streetz De Hood
03-15-2013, 06:56 AM
I understand what Streetz is saying lol, and 100% get what he means. Is somebody really that dope if they have to spend days and days racking their brain researching concepts and trying to force it into making sense, or are they dope if they can produce a sick verse in a couple hours with minimal effort, because it would seem "coming naturally" = DOPE.

no homo.

See she gets it.

ItzNDaSawce
03-15-2013, 07:19 AM
LB textcees have they dam heads too high..and now on lets beef a muh fucka cant even get a vote once sumone sees a name and its associated with poor skills so does it gets voted on? nopee..overlooked cuz the skill aint UP TO THEY LEVEL...so now how do people..basically jus by PREFERENCE..one battler could be winning like n most of my battles..but do I get votes..nope due to preference..its an easy way one can vote around the actual winner..IMO..so actual DOPE BATTLERS..id say came from this site..but due to favoritisim..they seem to relocate

ViTRiOL
03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Dope on the spot and being dope as a writer are two different things.

Also, one thing to take into account, what about if said writer had a load of concepts that he had been thinking of for weeks and they were stored in there. Transferring this to paper after which, does this count as premeditated?

Erupt da Monsta
03-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah V has a point, and hell yeah, I remember you seein me write shit off the top in minutes type shit... this nigga RULE said seconds tho... haha all hail the king face ass :)

RULE
03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah V has a point, and hell yeah, I remember you seein me write shit off the top in minutes type shit... this nigga RULE said seconds tho... haha all hail the king face ass :)

Motörhead - King of Kings - YouTube