PDA

View Full Version : NameDropping or Referencing?

Rounin
01-05-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't know what to call it, but every so often I come across battles where one of the contenders makes a reference to a person or a movie or an event that I have no knowledge of. While the reference may be completely valid, because I have no prior knowledge of the referenced "thing" would it be considered fair if I vote?
My ideology is that a well-rounded verse includes many characteristics including versatility. So generally, even if that person was maybe tied with the other person in a "vet's" eyes, I'd vote for the person who's verse had metaphors and references that I could understand more of. Does that sound fair? Or should I refrain from voting on those kind of battles?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Black Book
01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Ask for the bar to be explained or simply Google it before voting. Seriously, if you can't find the reference in like three seconds through Google, the bar is way too vague. And anyone would be more than willing to explain it to you. But if you wish to do neither, just don't vote because you could be missing something dope that might be the deciding factor.

1/

TheAnonP
01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
In other words you don't get the punchline.

I know many people say 'don't vote if you don't understand'.

If the person who you voted for uses the bar that you don't understand and you feel like the other 3 bars were enough to seal the victory then I don't see why not.

If the person who you voted against uses the bar, then it won't hurt searching into it cuz that bar you don't understand might be a haymaker and a knockout blow...Its best if you know what every person is talking about and fully understand both verses before you submit ur vote

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

don't get me wrong...I posted the same time as Book...*in case y'all tell me, your saying the same shit with TBB so fuck off*

Dean
01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
In other words you don't get the punchline.

I know many people say 'don't vote if you don't understand'.

If the person who you voted for uses the bar that you don't understand and you feel like the other 3 bars were enough to seal the victory then I don't see why not.

If the person who you voted against uses the bar, then it won't hurt searching into it cuz that bar you don't understand might be a haymaker and a knockout blow...Its best if you know what every person is talking about and fully understand both verses before you submit ur vote

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

don't get me wrong...I posted the same time as Book...*in case y'all tell me, your saying the same shit with TBB so fuck off*

^^ TRUUUUUUUE

Rounin
01-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Aight thanks for that. That makes sense.

Manhattan
01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Ya dude look that shit up. Just because you may not get the reference doesn't mean you can't google that shit. Dude that has happened to me in a battle you voted on against me and you said I had too much 'Nameplay' and when I PM'ed you for an expo you said I dropped too many movie references that you didn't get and that shit pissed me off haha just look it up next time. There are a lot of times I don't get the punchline of someone verse then I just google it

UhMAZING
01-06-2013, 08:29 PM
In my opinion, if a person is battling someone...and going to say some shit that not EVERYONE might get...It's just Common Sense to put a Expo in the comments box. That way it doesn't go over anyones head, and both people still have a fighting chance when it comes down to votes. <I've dropped my knowledge for the day.>

CulpritT
01-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Tbh i dont really like referencing movies or pop culture unless its a relevant and topical thing that everyone has been hearin about, sometimes people be makin the most OBSCURE movie references that i would never ever get if they didnt explain

Rounin
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Ya dude look that shit up. Just because you may not get the reference doesn't mean you can't google that shit. Dude that has happened to me in a battle you voted on against me and you said I had too much 'Nameplay' and when I PM'ed you for an expo you said I dropped too many movie references that you didn't get and that shit pissed me off haha just look it up next time. There are a lot of times I don't get the punchline of someone verse then I just google it

Yeah man this thread was really based off the encounter I had with you. I was mulling it over and I know I'm in the wrong alot of times so my apologies.

Manhattan
01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
No worries. If ya got the time to vote and write a huge expo i think you have time to look up bars you don't quite understand ya know?

ViTRiOL
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Can't hurt to do some quick research, as long as you can make some sense of the bar, otherwise they could just be dropping random references and piecing together nothingness.

Rounin
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
No worries. If ya got the time to vote and write a huge expo i think you have time to look up bars you don't quite understand ya know?

True word. Lol I never really thought about lookin shit up. Haha