PDA

View Full Version : Alright. Buying a mic and gonna start making beeeaaats.

S A L T
01-05-2013, 01:40 PM
I dont just want to make original beats, I want to do song mashes and remixes too.
And I want to start perfecting my audio game.

Can you guys tell me what equipments good to start off with?
Whats a good mic?
And I dont know SHIT about producing equipment..what would I need to make beats and mix songs?
Also, what program should I download?
And would it help to buy a mac? Cause I've been saving up for one.
Finally, how much would this all cost?
Thanks for any help, bros.

ViTRiOL
01-05-2013, 01:57 PM
I got an MXL Studio Condenser. Think it's around £120, been using it for a year and it's still pretty sharp.

Audacity is the universal program that's free to download and it gives you all the basics, compressors, high, low pass and notch filters, echo, delay... Fuck around with it, it'll get you started: http://audacity.todownload.com/?gclid=COi2sozy0bQCFW3KtAodvFcAWQ

If you want to get serious, Pro Tools for Windows and Logic Studio for MAC. I still ain't got the money for that shit.

To answer your last question, adding together leads, cables, stands, mics, filters and software... For me, I'd say you could make a decent home studio for around £800-1000. You can get along with £300, which is what I currently have, bahahah.

S A L T
01-05-2013, 02:12 PM
I got an MXL Studio Condenser. Think it's around £120, been using it for a year and it's still pretty sharp.

Audacity is the universal program that's free to download and it gives you all the basics, compressors, high, low pass and notch filters, echo, delay... Fuck around with it, it'll get you started: http://audacity.todownload.com/?gclid=COi2sozy0bQCFW3KtAodvFcAWQ

If you want to get serious, Pro Tools for Windows and Logic Studio for MAC. I still ain't got the money for that shit.

To answer your last question, adding together leads, cables, stands, mics, filters and software... For me, I'd say you could make a decent home studio for around £800-1000. You can get along with £300, which is what I currently have, bahahah.

Thanks bro, I appreciate your help man! I could save that much up easy in about a year. I know a euro is more than a dollar though but not too much I think lol. I use to actually fuck with audacity, idk what compressors, high, low pass, notch filters, echo, and delay is!! thats the shit i need to learn! I don't want to keep going in on a project guessing. I want to perfect this shit. lol. But yeah man, thanks again. But is that MXL Studio Condensor for like making beats or is that a mic?

METH_BARZ
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
for beats I would start out with fl studios it's the most simple legit program to use I still use it but I also use abelton live cause it works great with my midi keyboard and beats are 100 x harder then recording I would suggest if you don't know how to play the piano to download some video lessons it'll make your game so much better and mxls are pretty decent personally though I'm audio technica fan there more durable and are pretty much a high end mic with a cheap price tag

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

and when you get into making beats if you wanna know a great plugin for free I would really look into downloading the purity vst it has soo many instruments from pianos to strings to guitars to synths etc etc I use it alot myself

S A L T
01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
for beats I would start out with fl studios it's the most simple legit program to use I still use it but I also use abelton live cause it works great with my midi keyboard and beats are 100 x harder then recording I would suggest if you don't know how to play the piano to download some video lessons it'll make your game so much better and mxls are pretty decent personally though I'm audio technica fan there more durable and are pretty much a high end mic with a cheap price tag

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

and when you get into making beats if you wanna know a great plugin for free I would really look into downloading the purity vst it has soo many instruments from pianos to strings to guitars to synths etc etc I use it alot myself

Thanks man! So you're saying a good idea before making beats would be to like learn the piano?
I actually somewhat know how to play the piano already, so do you think know it somewhat would be enough to just jump into beat making?

METH_BARZ
01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
yea if you got a basic understanding then your a step ahead of where I was when I started 4-5 years ago witch will help man

MAN DOWN
01-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Some other shit I found with nice quality is a snowball USB mic, sound quality is very good. I use it with Audacity too ViTRiOL .. ProTools when I go to the actual studio. But I still have a hard time working it and don't use all the functions anyway.

METH_BARZ
01-05-2013, 03:21 PM
idk pro tools really isn't necessary you can achieve the same quality out of cubase or nuendo there both an industry standard as well logic is up there too but if your looking for an easy to use program to start off for audio I would go with adobe auditions

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I honestly wouldn't even fuck with pro tools if your new to the whole recording thing theres just sooooo much to it that it would be overwhelming bro

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Some other shit I found with nice quality is a snowball USB mic, sound quality is very good. I use it with Audacity too ViTRiOL .. ProTools when I go to the actual studio. But I still have a hard time working it and don't use all the functions anyway.

and idk one thing I hate about audicity is it has a couple second delay on vocals idk if they fixed that but when I was using it like 4-5 years ago shit was really fucking up my shit although I use it now to chop sounds and vocals for sampeling

S A L T
01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice METH_BARZ
I'm down to buy a program for producing and mixing music. I've used audacity before, but i felt like it didn't have a lot to work with. But then again, when I used it, i didn't really know shit. I still dont know shit. So is audacity a good place to start?

What are those fucking, drum things dj's use when they make beats... like that thing in the Madeon video, if you know what I'm saying? lol

METH_BARZ
01-05-2013, 07:57 PM
personally if you wanna get something great its a little spendy if your willing to throw 200-300 out but this is what I use it's got all your mixing nobs your piano keys your banks so you can switch from program to program with the lcd and it's got your drums oh and with a click of a button you can arpeggiate any sound http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Professional-MPK25-Keyboard-USB-MIDI-Controller-105335715-i1437920.gc and it comes with abelton live lite

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

personally I've had it for about 2 years now and I haven't had a complaint with it deff somthing you should look into if thats out of your price range akai has cheaper equipment that should really be looked into getting

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Axiom-25-2nd-Gen-25-Key-USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller-105947766-i1532543.gc or theres this witch is pretty much the same thing I have for cheaper has a few of the bells and whistles missing that the akai has but it's still would be a good investment personally I've never used this one so I can't tell you much about it except that I've heard mixed reviews that some ppl didn't like the feel of it compared to the akai and some people loved it

S A L T
01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
METH_BARZ ahh fucking sweet dude! thats like exactly what i was talking about.
So do you like make beats on those? And like upload them to a program on your computer with like a usb or some shit? and then on the program you can like do other shit? like i really don't know anything about how this process works lol

METH_BARZ
01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
pretty much you hook it up to your computer via usb and when you use abelton witch it's more geared towards your drum pads automaps everything thats loaded into the drum rack in the program

S A L T
01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
METH_BARZ shibbbby. Thank you so much dude. I really appreciate the help. I might ask for tips later on when I get started and shit. hahah.

METH_BARZ
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
yea no problem bro

ViTRiOL
01-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Oh the MXL Studio Condenser mic is a mic, indeed. I'm a recorder, not a mixer really. In terms of making beats, I don't know any software, but I've fucked around with these drum pads (Alessis Performance Pad, for example) that you can pioneer your own drum sound manually. In terms of programs that do that for you, I've never found any use for them.

Put it this way also, a compressor is something you need to put on everything. It equalises sound levels and fixes clips, so it generally just keeps all the sound that's playing at once in check. Filters can be used to clean things up. Get stuck into Audacity, it really does get you started. There's an Audacity forum website that I'm on, ask all sorts of questions and learn about everything.

METH_BARZ
01-06-2013, 07:49 AM
METH_BARZ ahh fucking sweet dude! thats like exactly what i was talking about.
So do you like make beats on those? And like upload them to a program on your computer with like a usb or some shit? and then on the program you can like do other shit? like i really don't know anything about how this process works lol

I just re read this and saw what you was asking naw it's gotta be hooked up to your comp via usb to work cause it works through the sounds you saved on whatever beat making program you have opened...... that akai really can sync up to any of the big program fairly easily through the lcd

FreezyCT
01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
hit me up man freezyct@gmail

S A L T
01-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I just re read this and saw what you was asking naw it's gotta be hooked up to your comp via usb to work cause it works through the sounds you saved on whatever beat making program you have opened...... that akai really can sync up to any of the big program fairly easily through the lcd

Oh alright, alright man. Cool. Thanks again dude!

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

hit me up man freezyct@gmail

I will, bru!