PDA

View Full Version : How do you go about forming punchlines? (Concepts)

ViTRiOL
12-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I was wondering what everyone's method is when it comes to actually writing a verse, whether it's all done in the box, on the spot, in the moment... Or if a lot of it is premeditated and goes through a process.

For me, it's a combination. I always keep a notepad on my person at all time, for anything, if ideas and concepts come about. This can be anything, but I always make sure I write down all wordplay and metaphor ideas and sometimes they form into pretty hard punchlines when put into the box. I also write down scheme ideas. Of course, a lot of the time, a lot of concepts I think up during the writing, as they tend to be born in the scheme that I'm using. Naturally.

I'm real curious about how everybody else does it. Especially the heavies.

ILLoKWENT
12-31-2012, 02:24 AM
same way, cept i dont carry a pen/pad around wit me.. but ideas def come up, during my normal daily routines.. and if i remember em i usem..majority tho is atm im typin the verse..and a concept materializes as im doin a certain scheme..

Jack Swagger
12-31-2012, 02:33 AM
I set it all up in my head.

Phoenix
12-31-2012, 07:59 AM
I just bite Mokane shit....

I'm like you guys said. I seriously can't sit down and write for a b.attle that no fun for me. I hate that, I usually get the whole line in my head, write it down and sometimes edit it if I'm not being lazy. Mostly I get lines when I wake up in the morning, all that fall out or when I'm about to sleep so either ways I be tired and don't write them down.

Black Book
12-31-2012, 09:01 AM
I think of concepts in my head. Then I go to the box and create the setup & punch for them. Also, if I think of 1 bar in my head, it sort of creates a domino effect. I come up with like 4 bars on the spot right after I make the first one. Then I hit a fucking brick wall & have to wait till I think of another bar in my head.

J u s T C
12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
I do it on the spot 99% of the time. Sometimes I'll think of something current event or popular n work a play into it then put it into my word doc on my mobile

I always write down the punch and play then go back and write the set up.

Doing it the other way is like swinging in the dark for me.

Letum
12-31-2012, 10:14 AM
I think of a concept then usually work backwards for the set ups.

TalkSick
12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
I like to go to other sites and copy others, sometimes if I can't find any up to par that day, I'll simply go back on previous HOF battles and take what I can from there.

GodTheReptilian
01-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I personally think of concepts initially...then I create a scheme to inhance the clarity, or either obscurity... either to reveal or conceal a point that im attempting to convey...it's usually on the spot. One fresh line always prompts me to write.

KingBankstou
01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
think of a dope ass multi scheme den i jus can make hella punches out of it the other way make yo shit wack too me and forced

ViTRiOL
01-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I understand the forced part. Sometimes I can't stand switching schemes, I personally think anyone that can't hold one scheme for 8 lines is pretty dire.

I do that method sometimes and if I'm conceptually smoking, it makes for a great scheme verse.