PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Tournament?

Black Book
12-15-2012, 03:38 PM
If I was to put together a forum poetry tournament, who would be interested? 16 man line up for sure, maybe 32 if there is enough interest. Basically each round it'd be a different form of poetry. Example: 1st Round: Haiku (whoever makes the best Haiku wins). 2nd Round: Allegory (whoever writes the best allegory continues to the next round). If people are interested, I'd probably host it in February seeing that it's the holidays and we have the official Tag-Team in January. There would be no title, but I could work on getting emcee prizes or something. Thoughts?

Dean
12-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I think just a plain Haiku tournament would be dope, something new

Jam Jar
12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
I'd definitely be game for this - it draws from a different pool of hiphop influence to other stuff on here. Definite.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

You could have Cinquains also. And limericks.

Black Book
12-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Yeah. Each round would be a different type of poem. If we had 32 guys in the tournament, there'd be five rounds. Which means 5 different types of poems used. And it would pull from a different pool. It'd really test more of writing abilities then the old: "set up, concept, punch" shit we always see on here. New forms of writing going on. And I think we could produce some dope writings on here. We definitely got talented writers on the site.

Godbody
12-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Poetry is what I do B...thats what rap is all about

I agree that a straight poetry tourney would be dope...not a different element every round... If anything everybody should get a topic every round and whoever executes it best in the form of poetry wins

Black Book
12-15-2012, 09:40 PM
I see what you're saying pULSe. I was thinking if we did a different form of poetry it'd be more difficult and challenging to write in different ways. Plus, if you can do it any form you wanted, some person might rhyme and someone might not. Then voters wouldn't realize what was going on and be like: "This guy didn't even rhyme?" I see there being too many problems with the rules being very exact and explained to the competitors.

And I agree with set topics. I think it should be a set topic and set form of poetry each round. The topic would be different in each battle, but the form would be the same for the whole round. The form would switch each round, though.

Black Book
12-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I could do the strict explanation of the poetry. And for the panel, we could set the battles in the cypher section. A private cypher with the two members. And I could find a 5 man panel to judge them. Only there input would matter, so you can disregard any other member of the site who might drop feed or anything. Good input Jason.

Mind Fuck
12-15-2012, 09:57 PM
excellent idea if, like jason already said, cooridnated correctly so that the guidelines are followed, understood and not misinterpreted.

:high:

Black Book
12-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah. I'm going to have sign-ups for this after the holidays and see how many people sign-up. Then I will put together a panel and hold the tournament in February. I will put work into it so that the rules and everything are very clear.

Black Book
12-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I think I will do this. Sign-ups will be in January; the tournament will be in February. Be on the lookout!

GRizzEAT
12-16-2012, 11:15 AM
G'shiiii

Black Book
12-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I think we could at least get 16 dudes to sign-up. 32 maybe.

Jack Swagger
12-16-2012, 01:14 PM
I fuck with this. Poetry is definitely something I know how to do.

Black Book
12-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Alright. I will enter the tournament myself, but to avoid any "cheating" or "unfair advantage", I will have someone else pick the topic for my battle.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Should I just have sign-ups now and host the tournament in January. I know the Tag-Team will be going on but... I'onno. I don't think they'd really interfere. Since each member of the tag-team only writes 8 lines a piece. Plus poetry pieces won't be that big.

Askari
12-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Happy to be a judge here The Black Book, I'm an English student; I doubt ill have the time to write for it. Dope idea.

Black Book
12-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Good looks Askari. I'll put you down as a judge in the sign-ups thread I just made.